anothersilo

Jun 2, 2021
I know this question has been asked on this thread a dozen times already, but I haven't seen an answer I actually like yet. Are there any games out there that match this game's quality? It doesn't have to be like LiL plotwise in literally any way. But despite all of his (many) flaws, Selebus clearly puts his soul into this game. There are reveals now that have clearly been planned out for years. And the characters just feel so. so. human. And when I go from LiL to playing literally any other game on this site, they all just feel so bland and one-dimensional in comparison. I just want a game that doesn't feel like an immediate downgrade. Something I can immerse myself in, with characters I'll genuinely care about. Something I'll actually think about after I'm done playing it.

It's going to be a month until the next update, and I really want another game to play while I'm waiting. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reactions: DeanNorris

manjak8

Jun 27, 2019
I know this question has been asked on this thread a dozen times already, but I haven't seen an answer I actually like yet. Are there any games out there that match this game's quality? It doesn't have to be like LiL plotwise in literally any way. But despite all of his (many) flaws, Selebus clearly puts his soul into this game. There are reveals now that have clearly been planned out for years. And the characters just feel so. so. human. And when I go from LiL to playing literally any other game on this site, they all just feel so bland and one-dimensional in comparison. I just want a game that doesn't feel like an immediate downgrade. Something I can immerse myself in, with characters I'll genuinely care about. Something I'll actually think about after I'm done playing it.

It's going to be a month until the next update, and I really want another game to play while I'm waiting. Anyone have any suggestions?
I had same question but unfortunately there is nothing that is as good as Lil, I have some good recommendations though with good character development and interesting interactions: check the queen of phalli (mostly text based one but really good), also check superhuman, also check elvensang, brokensky, TheSurvivalofSarahRose,

Reactions: anothersilo

k1n5l4y3r

Jun 20, 2018

The only other vn I liked the writing as much as LiL was Being a Dik, the characters feel alive and the grafics are very good, except for some characters having silver teeth.

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
So, on to my general recap of this update. Or more so, things I found interesting and were not talked about yet (or enough).

Starting with one thing that really warmed my heart and gave me confidence that maybe not following the green path might actually be viable in some form. At least that's my copium for now, because this scene was just too beautiful:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Chika is even more delulu and bat-shit insane than I thought after the last update. This is bound to become interesting. Or is it?

Now on to a few points that I would like to ask the help of the lore master squad (LMS) for.

Also on a side note: The party scenes where Good Kid was playing made me realize once more that those songs clash with having to read text and being able to process them properly, it's just too distracting. Even though that particular song wasn't that bad.
In fact, I actually really liked the 8bit version in Sensei Quest. Call me a filthy millennial, but it was a bop.
So in conclusion, I like their music. It just doesn't always fit unfortunately.
This will be a huge block of text until I can get to my pc and format it right.

1. There is a very real possibility that the time travel is part of the reset and it isn't done yet. Failing that, they can all slip back without altering anything. If they do alter stuff then the timeline cohesion is doomed. Reconstructing any sort of timeline from this point forward would be a fool's errand.

2. The scene with Uta and Kirin really is interesting because we have two girls that are marked by being perceived as sluts (either by others or by themselves). Yet the freaking good kid song makes concentrating on any of it super hard.

Other than that, about the walls closing in, it's also what the vigenere cipher says at the end of Yasu's event (I missed that when writing the triggers post).

3. Who's this world made by and who got left behind. There are a ton of possibilities. Amy's boyfriend left her at the mall with her mom. Ami has mentioned on their bus ride backwards that when they are alone at the end of the world it would be nice if Akira could ride them around, suggesting Ami (or the entity inside her aka super Ami) has been left my Akira multiple times at the end of a cycle. In Perfect Harmony, the narrator states that their perfect gate could never be reached in their world because Akira (assumed) left it.

As for who the world is for, we just got confirmation that 22 is likely Yuu's world and 23 is Akira's. Unless Selebus wishes to bring in the concept of a world made for the interloper/player that takes agency on that world by inserting itself into Yuu or Akira, then it's likely made for them (as they're in the center of it).

That however begs the question what their objective is, since, if it's to prepare a vessel to ride around in, then from Kyoto we get the feeling that Kaori/Sekai was that objective achieving fruition, and yet, there is no terminal 22.5 that is for Sekai/Kaori.

Another possible solution is that 23 was never Akira's to begin with, but Sekai's world. Akira doesn't reside in apartment 23, it's Kaori/Sekaori that do. It would certainly explain why the gods, although interested in him, don't seem to place him at the center of their plans. Mind you, we could also interpret Pareidolia saying that he waited such a long time to board Kaori as "boarding Kaori is what allows him to make spring arrive".

In that sense, HOPE, Wires, Pareidolia and USER4 control the seasons from inside Kaori, which makes Kaori the real center of 23 (or rather, True Sekai).

I'll be taking another look at First Contact, but it might be the case that the appearance of the four from the wall that was broken with Sekai's death is actually their first boarding of Kaori/Sekai. The person that is "still behind the wheel" would be Sekai. This story was really never about Akira, it was about her.

4. To end on a good and less tinfoil note, Io's red path scene reads like one of my actual rpg games where I save everyone and make them whole again. Which means I both love it and find it extremely out of place in LiL.

Jun 20, 2023

Ah shit, here we go again. I hope this time there wont be any purges. So games that are somewhat on the level of LiL:
Dissonance
Perfect Pitch(I heavily recommend this one over any other)
SO(I have to recommend it)
Lost in You(a bit cringe, so you can skip)
Ethereal ties(it only begun but so far, so good)
Love and Evil Things(same matter as Ethereal Ties)
Broken Dream(clearly not english native speaker writing the dialogues, but has potentional, the spooky stuff are one of the best in this site)
Secrets of Sorcery(also not by english native speaker)
Another Chance(strangely enough it is good)
Crimson High(8 times worse than LiL, but good for spending time while waiting for update)
Kaedama(interesting idea, could become something like SO, but not LiL)

Not VN: Disco Elysium, Life and Suffering of Sir Brante, Planescape: Torment, Suzerain, Citizen Sleeper(just ignore the ship DLC, heavy agenda pushing), Tyranny, Sunless sea and skies(with mods and cheats only, too slow gameplay), Wastelands 3, Underhell(and no, not Underrail. Underhell. Still waiting after all this years). The Pale Beyond(fucking good one and recommend "The Terror" teleseries as well). Edit: there could be other games as well of course, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind

Last edited:

manjak8

Jun 27, 2019
Ah shit, here we go again. I hope this time there wont be any purges. So games that are somewhat on the level of LiL:
Dissonance
Perfect Pitch(I heavily recommend this one over any other)
SO(I have to recommend it)
Lost in You(a bit cringe, so you can skip)
Ethereal ties(it only begun but so far, so good)
Love and Evil Things(same matter as Ethereal Ties)
Broken Dream(clearly not english native speaker writing the dialogues, but has potentional, the spooky stuff are one of the best in this site)
Secrets of Sorcery(also not by english native speaker)
Another Chance(strangely enough it is good)
Crimson High(8 times worse than LiL, but good for spending time while waiting for update)
Kaedama(interesting idea, could become something like SO, but not LiL)

Not VN: Disco Elysium, Life and Suffering of Sir Brante, Planescape: Torment, Suzerain, Citizen Sleeper(just ignore the ship DLC, heavy agenda pushing), Tyranny, Sunless sea and skies(with mods and cheats only, too slow gameplay), Wastelands 3, Underhell(and no, not Underrail. Underhell. Still waiting after all this years). The Pale Beyond(fucking good one and recommend "The Terror" teleseries as well). Edit: there could be other games as well of course, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind
perfect pitch is really not a good recommendation except that it also has depressed mc + bunch of student girls. writing is just so bad compared to lil, not a single memorable character, not a single interesting event, I went through the first chapter without skipping and couldn't remember a single name of any girl, whereas I immediately remembered names of girls when I first read Lil.

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023

I'll try to suggest a few that aren't that well known. It will be a downgrade either way, but you can try these:

renpy - BOAT (finished); Monster girl 1000 (finished); My tuition academia (finished); harem hotel; corrupted kingdoms; mythic manor; goddesses' whim; Long live the princess (finished).

rpgm - The last sovereign (free on steam); Noblesse oblige (free on steam); Renryuu's ascension; Demons roots (finished).

unity (?) - Hush hush (finished); how to build a magnificent kingdom (finished); Unveiling the unknown (finished).

*all that are finished have either compelling stories or at least some sort of twist. From these, the best is magnificent kingdom but it's also the one with the most troublesome gameplay to get to that story. The easiest is BOAT. The most unexpected would be tuition academia's true end.

**from the unfinished ones, the best in terms of story is last sovereign, the other rpgm also try to tell a story but tls is almost done. The renpy ones are not that great in story, but lacking willpower to power through better stories with worse gameplay, they'll do.

Edit: As always, Higurashi; Tsukihime; Steins;Gate (original and 0); and the Fate series (especially stay/night and hollow/ataraxia) stand as overall recommendations due to their legacy to the genre.

The most relevant recommendation would be for you to watch the entirety of the Monogatari Series though, since it's on par if not superior to LiL in every way and deals with a lot of the same themes.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023
perfect pitch is really not a good recommendation
I will citate myself on this one "that if LiL would be a phenomena on how to Write VN, then Perfect Pitch shall be a phenomena on how Make VNs". Have you not noticed the difference between scenes and positioning made in any other vn(especially the japanese one, bueh) and Perfect Pitch? It is a marvel of technical mastery, that is how vn should be made, not the "one frame and wall of text and then another wagon of text". I am fucking sick of this (War and Peace of Tolstoy) amount of writing crammed into a single motherfucking frame and position. It speak of lazyness and lack of power in the creator to make something marginally better, so again, Perfect Pitch is a good example of vn that author " puts his soul" into

Last edited:

hario1225

Mar 3, 2021
Always wondered why h protagonists always have big long dicks...I guess I can understand if it is western, but majority of asian women prefered the average sized ones. Personally thought that the story might be a bit more different if Sensei's dick size is lore-friendly considering he's japanese. I mean it is already heavily implied that he's good-looking.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Moonflare

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Always wondered why h protagonists always have big long dicks...I guess I can understand if it is western, but most asian women prefered the average sized ones. Personally thought that the story might be a bit more different if Sensei's dick size is lore-friendly considering he's japanese.
Other than it being supernaturally induced bigus dickus, Akira seems to be way taller than what a japanese man would be in general.

Given his height (assumed), it wouldn't be that out of place for him to also have a bigger than average dick.

Aditionally, I think the big dick thing is more of something for the male reader honestly, his targets are more often than not so small (compared to his height) that an average dick would already be bordering on overkill.

hario1225

Mar 3, 2021
I'll try to suggest a few that aren't that well known. It will be a downgrade either way, but you can try these:

renpy - BOAT (finished); Monster girl 1000 (finished); My tuition academia (finished); harem hotel; corrupted kingdoms; mythic manor; goddesses' whim; Long live the princess (finished).

rpgm - The last sovereign (free on steam); Noblesse oblige (free on steam); Renryuu's ascension; Demons roots (finished).

unity (?) - Hush hush (finished); how to build a magnificent kingdom (finished); Unveiling the unknown (finished).

*all that are finished have either compelling stories or at least some sort of twist. From these, the best is magnificent kingdom but it's also the one with the most troublesome gameplay to get to that story. The easiest is BOAT. The most unexpected would be tuition academia's true end.

**from the unfinished ones, the best in terms of story is last sovereign, the other rpgm also try to tell a story but tls is almost done. The renpy ones are not that great in story, but lacking willpower to power through better stories with worse gameplay, they'll do.

Edit: As always, Higurashi; Tsukihime; Steins;Gate (original and 0); and the Fate series (especially stay/night and hollow/ataraxia) stand as overall recommendations due to their legacy to the genre.

The most relevant recommendation would be for you to watch the entirety of the Monogatari Series though, since it's on par if not superior to LiL in every way and deals with a lot of the same themes.
Always thought Higurashi is a bit closer in contrast to the flow of its story. With Maya being the counterpart of Furude Rika.

hario1225

Mar 3, 2021
Aditionally, I think the big dick thing is more of something for the male reader honestly, his targets are more often than not so small (compared to his height) that an average dick would already be bordering on overkill.
A bit weird to have something like that on my screen to be honest :KEK: :KEK: :KEK:
I don't really see its appeal.

• Haha
Reactions: Moonflare

manjak8

Jun 27, 2019
I will citate myself on this one "that if LiL would be a phenomena on how to Write VN, then Perfect Pitch shall be a phenomena on how Make VNs". Have you not noticed the difference between scenes and positioning made in any other vn(especially the japanese one, bueh) and Perfect Pitch? It is a marvel of technical mastery, that is how vn should be made, not the "one frame and wall of text and then another wagon of text". I am fucking sick of this (War and Peace of Tolstoy) amount of writing crammed into a single motherfucking frame and position. It speak of lazyness and lack of power in the creator to make something marginally better, so again, Perfect Pitch is a good example of vn that author " puts his soul" into
marvel of technical mastery for vn would be ,,out of touch'', perfect pitch would be definitely upgrade compared to lil on technical level but not an insane one, also no amount of technical excellence can compensate writing anyway, If I would want to play games that are better on technical level, I wouldn't be searching them among vn's in first place. but that's just my opinion ofcourse

Reactions: DeanNorris

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
A bit weird to have something like that on my screen to be honest :KEK: :KEK: :KEK:
I don't really see its appeal.
No, I mean like the general idea the male reader has of "big dick" = women falling over someone. While the opposite is certainly true concerning a tiny dick, the big dick idea doesn't really apply in real life as it does in fantasy.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: hario1225
Jun 20, 2023
marvel of technical mastery for vn would be ,,out of touch'', perfect pitch would be definitely upgrade compared to lil on technical level but not an insane one, also no amount of technical excellence can compensate writing anyway, If I would want to play games that are better on technical level, I wouldn't be searching them among vn's in first place.
Lol, Lmao even. We have very different tastes, because in my case I would not recommend "Out of touch" to anyone ever. Not in terms of writing and neither in terms of technical work. It is normal to have very different subjective opinions on games like these, so I think we can leave it at that. I still recommend to try out Perfect Pitch to anyone who wants to try it out and you can recommend "Out of touch" to any people you want, the two of us just wont do such things for our respectively disliked games in this instance

Meskal1ne

Oct 7, 2023
The technical side of lil certainly does not shine, but the level of elaboration of the world and the quality of the text are at an unattainable level. I read a lot of projects (more than hundred), but nowhere was there anything even close to this.
I stopped perceiving the game as a porn game a long time ago - it’s just a very interesting series that comes out once a month, and in which there are piquant scenes. Hope we will see end of the story, and nothing will stop Sel from finishin it.

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018

You suggested almost every one of the games that I would — except for MIST. Great, Stephen King-y horror/adventure, fun characters and character development, and not particularly grindy — compared to LiL. :rolleyes:

manjak8

Jun 27, 2019
The technical side of lil certainly does not shine, but the level of elaboration of the world and the quality of the text are at an unattainable level. I read a lot of projects (more than hundred), but nowhere was there anything even close to this.
I stopped perceiving the game as a porn game a long time ago - it’s just a very interesting series that comes out once a month, and in which there are piquant scenes. Hope we will see end of the story, and nothing will stop Sel from finishin it.
true, I tried searching for something similar among regular books or other media, but I just cant find anything that satisfies similar itch. like how do you even describe style of lil writing? arthouse?

4.10 star(s) 305 Votes