Chef25

Nov 2, 2020
I'm all for opinions. I'm even more for informed opinions, especially since I do try really hard to give out answers and provide you with all the information you need to form one:

https://f95zone.to/threads/light-of-my-life-ch-4-v0-5-2-naughtyroad.29628/post-4505110

(and F95 makes it very easy to search for posts in a thread by individuals, like, say, the dev?)
You say you're all for opinions, so try this on for size.
In my former life, I was a Chef for almost 40 years. I'm not talking a cook, I'm talking Chef, with all the creative that goes with that. I will compare what you do with what I did.
I understand that you are not a business, while I was in one, but the concept is the same. You have to satisfy both yourself AND the consumer of the product. Lets say that you loved every meal that I had made for you. You came in and sat down for another great meal, and I left you sitting in the dining room for 4 days. It wouldn't matter how good the meal was when you got it, you still wouldn't be satisfied, would you?
The same goes for a dev (not you that I'm talking about here) that feels the need to change the code of the game midstream. It would be kind of like me pulling the plate out from under you after 2 bites, because I wasn't happy with the garnish on the plate...........

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
You say you're all for opinions, so try this on for size.
In my former life, I was a Chef for almost 40 years. I'm not talking a cook, I'm talking Chef, with all the creative that goes with that. I will compare what you do with what I did.
I understand that you are not a business, while I was in one, but the concept is the same. You have to satisfy both yourself AND the consumer of the product. Lets say that you loved every meal that I had made for you. You came in and sat down for another great meal, and I left you sitting in the dining room for 4 days. It wouldn't matter how good the meal was when you got it, you still wouldn't be satisfied, would you?
The same goes for a dev (not you that I'm talking about here) that feels the need to change the code of the game midstream. It would be kind of like me pulling the plate out from under you after 2 bites, because I wasn't happy with the garnish on the plate...........
Since we are talking "business", did you cook for free or concern yourself over their opinions versus paying customers?

Did you heed advice from someone about pricing/charging schedule that doesn't participate in the first place? "Cut down on complaints" about development time by charging per update? Glad you care so much about how other people spend their money. LOL

There's an unnamed dev on this site that has 2 releases per month....people still ask about update schedules and bitch about small releases....it will NEVER go away and no game is immune to it.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
(...)You came in and sat down for another great meal, and I left you sitting in the dining room for 4 days. It wouldn't matter how good the meal was when you got it, you still wouldn't be satisfied, would you? (...)
Interesting points, but the analogy falls a bit flat when applied to this case (which you point out you're not exactly doing) because the expectations going in don't match. I'm making a painting, not a porterhouse. To stick with the imagery, if someone comes in to sit and watch the paint dry, and then complains after a few hours it's not going fast enough, that's on them.

Your analogy does indeed match the process of making commercial software, because that process matches some aspects of working in a commercial kitchen quite nicely, from the need to communicate to the requirement for things to come together at exactly the right time, and the need to think on your feet and come up with attainable solutions when something goes south, only usually spread over the period of 2 weeks instead of one service.

LarryK

Jan 9, 2020
Right, time to say a few things here. If you don't like the update frequency of LOML, find a game you do like the speed of. I've read possibly 100 complaints here, and not ONE of them speaks of being a patron of NR. Granted, my contribution, I admit, consists of using Buy Me a Coffee when I have spare cash, but for myself and the rest who voluntarily choose to support NR and this project, we know the quality and quantity of the next update are worth waiting for. This is a work of love, we love the girls he's given life to, and it is obvious he loves what he is creating. LOVE CAN'T BE RUSHED. It grows in its own time.

polycentric

Donor
Mar 26, 2019
I have worked for pay AND have done gigs for free. I've always had the same approach no matter which. Create the best product possible, with a sense of urgency. I guess I expect the same of others. Silly me. He still needs to stop the killing of kittens.......
This is an apple-to-oranges comparison. Naughty has stated very plainly that he has a full-time job, yet has spent over 1,000 hrs on this passion-project. Exactly how much more effort should he put into this creative work? Until he loses his job, or loses touch with friends and family? And for what - to keep a handful of babies from crying?

I love LoML, and respect Naughty as a writer and as a person (based on posts here and Discord), but I wouldn't begrudge him anything if he stopped now and walked away from this - for whatever reason. Maybe it's an "age-thing" - I've waited, in some cases, for decades for books, movies, albums, etc. and it never occurred to me to publicly complain about it.

One other thing - unless a developer states otherwise, and makes a statement that could be considered a quid quo pro, supporting someone on Patreon et al. means that you're a patron - you're supporting them as an artist for the sake of supporting them and you're not entering into a transaction. You're literally giving them money because you like what they have done and may do in the future, and that's it. It's a reward and a thank-you, not an implied contract.

He doesn't owe anyone a damned thing...

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017
I'm not getting much complaints from patrons and supporters, Dave. They feel more involved with the process and keep up with my progress updates, which is why I give those in the first place. So no need really.
Please don't start arguing with people who just argue for the sake of arguing on this site. Most of us here are all appreciative that you even frequent this site and are so cool about everything.

Keep up the good work and take all the time you need, because you can clearly see that the wait is worth it after every update. Can't wait to play the next part friend.

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
I have worked for pay AND have done gigs for free. I've always had the same approach no matter which. Create the best product possible, with a sense of urgency. I guess I expect the same of others. Silly me. He still needs to stop the killing of kittens.......
A cook telling a game dev how to make a game..... you can't make this shit up. And i am a writer for a living. This is comedy gold. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Skantarios

Jun 18, 2017
Maybe I'm in the minority in this but I very much prefer having large updates a few times a year over bite sized ones once a month. I hate downloading a new version I find the update has been a single extra scene, clearly rushed out the door just for the sake of having an upload. I like to actually sit down and play for a bit when I boot a game up. All this dev's updates have been consistently good, fairly long, advanced the main story by leaps and bounds and have had B plots with other characters that where generally charming. If the updates keep coming fairly regularly (and there is no year long silence or drought for example) then I feel the Dev as earned my trust.

agesilaus

May 28, 2017
Maybe I'm in the minority in this but I very much prefer having large updates a few times a year over bite sized ones once a month. I hate downloading a new version I find the update has been a single extra scene, clearly rushed out the door just for the sake of having an upload. I like to actually sit down and play for a bit when I boot a game up. All this dev's updates have been consistently good, fairly long, advanced the main story by leaps and bounds and have had B plots with other characters that where generally charming. If the updates keep coming fairly regularly (and there is no year long silence or drought for example) then I feel the Dev as earned my trust.
I can go either way. Just don't say that in any berserk forums though lol. In berserk manga updates they get neither large volume nor quick updates. Sometimes Miura will literally go 1 and half year with zero page/chapter done. No joke. Berserk fans are very tilted. Though I like reading Berserk when/if it ever comes out, but I sometimes go 5 to 7 years and not bother looking, because I know even after 5 plus years there is at most maybe 1 possibly 2 chapters only. Literally many berserk fans have died waiting on this manga.

Skantarios

Jun 18, 2017
I can go either way. Just don't say that in any berserk forums though lol. In berserk manga updates they get neither large volume nor quick updates. Sometimes Miura will literally go 1 and half year with zero page/chapter done. No joke. Berserk fans are very tilted. Though I like reading Berserk when/if it ever comes out, but I sometimes go 5 to 7 years and not bother looking, because I know even after 5 plus years there is at most maybe 1 possibly 2 chapters only. Literally many berserk fans have died waiting on this manga.
Yes that was what I meant. Obviously long times between updates have to result in something worthwhile. I have a distaste for one scene updates but If I had to wait a year for one of those then I would most definitely drop the game. So far naughtyroad has consistently provided good chunks of content that have very much felt worth it.

There is always a sense of not quite fear, but slight worry, when I download the next version of a game I enjoy. That it will be very short, focus all the content on a character I don't care about or it will be riddled with bugs. With naughtyroad I have no such fear and I appreciate him for that. If that changes then so will my position.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
(...) I hate downloading a new version I find the update has been a single extra scene, clearly rushed out the door just for the sake of having an upload. I like to actually sit down and play for a bit when I boot a game up. (...)
I'll let you in on a little trade secret (or not, it's not that much of a secret), but every time a dev puts out a release, their patron counts gets a hike. Like, a substantial one. More releases, more hikes, release your way straight into that sweet, sweet patron dosh paradise. I say fuck that, I can't do that and still put out something I can stand behind. Which is not to say it's a bad thing, there's devs out there on a tight update schedule that put out stuff I like a lot. It's just not something that works for me, and too bad if that means growth is much, much slower.

D

Deleted member 1414493

Its shady when a dev says something and doesn't deliver content wise or in a certain time frame.Here everything is known beforehand 2 updates a year chapter wise.Don't see any issue in this.Maybe a few delays here and there but nothing worth crying over,Just my take though

Jetse

Apr 22, 2020
Just to add my opinion (and I pry this message was not deleted) is very diferent to complain about the time between releases, which is an opinion and a fact that all of us would prefer a weekly release with 4 hours of gameplay (obviusly is a desire that we will not get in any game) and a complain about how lazy a developer is and how he milks the Patreons.
You can explain and show your desire to have more content without saying anything bad about the game or the developer.
Aaaand like LarryK said (I think) you can also try other games in the meantime.

Aaaaaaaand if you really like the game and you want to show your gratitude you can do a donation (buy me a coffe works for me). This is not to speed up the work of the dev, just to show you like his work IMO.

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
Sometimes I wish there was an IQ test to join this forum
There is one. It's called the "how to piss of the mods" game. And many people win this game daily.
But back to topic: I think a wonderful way to deal with "certain ppl" with the progress bar would be to give them their own progress bar.
Everytime they refresh that page the progress gets less and less and "Vader appears and states" i have altered the bar... pray i don't alter it any further"

4.70 star(s) 488 Votes