naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
I'm older, familiar with how software projects fail and VERY VERY familiar with this attitude. It's not healthy for you, us or the product. I literally hope you just see this and not respond, just think, really think about what I'm saying.
(...)
A whole lot to unpack there, and I'm convinced it comes from a good place, but like some pointed out, a lot of it isn't really applicable. I've got a long, long career in software projects as well, first doing them, and then running them, and I'm quite aware a lot of the stuff I'm doing with LomL makes absolutely no business sense.

But I'm not running this a business, and besides working more than fulltime on LomL (if doing anything so much fun can be called working) I have a second job that I rely on to pay the bills and provide for my family. So I'm really free in a way no person in this for the business could be, to set goals that focus purely on the creative process, which are the parts that give me joy.

So when I say "if support collapses, it collapses", it's not the defiant cry of a harried captain howling against the wind as his ship slowly disintegrates around him in the storm that threatens to swallow him whole, but rather the assurance that I'll do what I feel will benefit the quality of the game best, regardless of business concerns. Because all of this talk of release dates is only relevant right here and now, but it's completely meaningless the moment this chapter is completed (or at some point in the future, this game). And that end result is what matters to me, not the process.

Where does this flood of sensible and reasonable posts suddenly come from ? I had to check the URL in my browser to see if I was still on F95zone...o_O
NGL, that made me snort coffee all over my keyboard. :ROFLMAO:
Cheers to all that responded in support, it's good to know you get where I'm coming from.

manneychin

May 8, 2017
A whole lot to unpack there, and I'm convinced it comes from a good place, but like some pointed out, a lot of it isn't really applicable. I've got a long, long career in software projects as well, first doing them, and then running them, and I'm quite aware a lot of the stuff I'm doing with LomL makes absolutely no business sense.

But I'm not running this a business, and besides working more than fulltime on LomL (if doing anything so much fun can be called working) I have a second job that I rely on to pay the bills and provide for my family. So I'm really free in a way no person in this for the business could be, to set goals that focus purely on the creative process, which are the parts that give me joy.

So when I say "if support collapses, it collapses", it's not the defiant cry of a harried captain howling against the wind as his ship slowly disintegrates around him in the storm that threatens to swallow him whole, but rather the assurance that I'll do what I feel will benefit the quality of the game best, regardless of business concerns. Because all of this talk of release dates is only relevant right here and now, but it's completely meaningless the moment this chapter is completed (or at some point in the future, this game). And that end result is what matters to me, not the process.

NGL, that made me snort coffee all over my keyboard. :ROFLMAO:
Cheers to all that responded in support, it's good to know you get where I'm coming from.
Well... mkey. If you can afford this luxury of doing what you love for a long time without losing creative/resource steam... that's pretty rare and hard to relate to. I thought the revenue is essential to keep you going and I really REALLY want for you to keep going.

I've also done software for decades but in corporate envs, nothing artistic. In my experience business matters are not the only reasons why it's worth keeping in touch with your audience by releasing more often. More than once in my career I found myself putting in a lot of work in some groundbreaking/experimental project for more than a year, only to find out at the end that even though I kept getting good signals along the way from immediate sponsors, the result was no longer received at large with the same enthusiasm as back when the POC/MVP was presented simply because the general focus of attention changed a lot in the mean time. The problem had nothing to do with the quality of my work or the result not being true to the vision, it was timing. I'm telling you it was highly demotivating beyond pecuniary reasons and I think this trap is applicable to many artistic projects too. In the end, all artists want their art to "steal" attention and have a solid audience and when you touch base so rarely it unavoidably increases this risk of disconnect => disappointment. I know there are "mad"/solitary artists/scientists who have no issue working in their "cave" for years, some of them get their names in history books but a vast majority don't. Frankly I don't know too many who do it just for their own pleasure, maybe it's logical that we don't hear much from them.

Anyway, I hope your project is fulfilling for you but also that it gets successful at large while also being ever more pervier and kinkier. I hate vanilla/policed fantasies with a vengeance. I'm out.

stupidcat

May 20, 2018
I mean, it has been eons since the update, but like with DeLucca Family, the dev is being absolutely open about it, if you pay for it, and it is too long a wait, stop paying, if you just pirate it here, forget about it or wait for the update.

Of course, I understand just wanting to play a new chapter, not like I don't want that as well, but when a dev says it's done, when it's done, and it will take a long time, there's not really a lot of valid reason to complain, just a lot of entitlement.
The most funny thing is almost every post whining about the "delay" comes from people who probably dont support the dev :v

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
I remember my first book release and public reading and how ppl demanded to know when the next chapter would be released.

The book was horrible. The public reading was 25 people and the only 2 who demanded to know if i would continue the story talked in a way that made me realize they didn't read a single word i wrote and just here to get on my nerves.

My creative work was so influenced by those 2 idiots that i produced 10 more books in 3 years writing absolute dogshit and burning myself out and getting fired from the publisher because quote: "What your write and a cow presses out her rear end are basically the same" I was devastated, started working a regular job again and stopped writing for almost 10 years in total before i had the guts to write again.

So to the people who want the update faster, more frequent, more to their liking etc. If you want no game at all keep pushing, demanding and being horribly annoying.
You can have 100 people supporting you and all it needs is 1 dick who hits you on a bad day with the right words to make you feel utterly worthless or that your work is complete garbage to send you on a downward spiral.

If you can't wait do something else. If you don't want to wait, do something else. And if you really really have to say anything say something nice or nothing at all.

Cause quite frankly after years in this thread it starts to piss me off how people who don't pay a penny to anyone demand shit like they own the damn place. Neither naughtyroad nor any other dev owes you guys shit. F95 doesn't owe you shit. And no F95 Mods also don't owe you guys shit either. In short. No on here owes you guys anything. Be it updates, explanations or deadlines.

You get your free games to wank off to in a matter of a few mouse clicks and there are hundreds if not thousands of games on this board. So leave this artistic peace of joy the fuck alone and troll and annoy someone else. Your parents for a change as i honestly believe alot of teenagers are on this board who never saw a naked girl in their lifetime aside from a phone screen.

We repeated these freaking conversations for years now. Either learn to fucking read or fuck off.

Last edited:

affen123

Oct 6, 2017
I remember my first book release and public reading and how ppl demanded to know when the next chapter would be released.

The book was horrible. The public reading was 25 people and the only 2 who demanded to know if i would continue the story talked in a way that made me realize they didn't read a single word i wrote and just here to get on my nerves.

My creative work was so influenced by those 2 idiots that i produced 10 more books in 3 years writing absolute dogshit and burning myself out and getting fired from the publisher because quote: "What your write and a cow presses out her rear end are basically the same" I was devastated, started working a regular job again and stopped writing for almost 10 years in total before i had the guts to write again.

So to the people who want the update faster, more frequent, more to their liking etc. If you want no game at all keep pushing, demanding and being horribly annoying.
You can have 100 people supporting you and all it needs is 1 dick who hits you on a bad day with the right words to make you feel utterly worthless or that your work is complete garbage to send you on a downward spiral.

If you can't wait do something else. If you don't want to wait, do something else. And if you really really have to say anything say something nice or nothing at all.

Cause quite frankly after years in this thread it starts to piss me off how people who don't pay a penny to anyone demand shit like they own the damn place. Neither naughtyroad nor any other dev owes you guys shit. F95 doesn't owe you shit. And no F95 Mods also don't owe you guys shit either. In short. No on here owes you guys anything. Be it updates, explanations or deadlines.

You get your free games to wank off to in a matter of a few mouse clicks and there are hundreds if not thousands of games on this board. So leave this artistic peace of joy the fuck alone and troll and annoy someone else. Your parents for a change as i honestly believe alot teenagers are on this board who never saw a naked girl in their lifetime aside from a phone screen.

We repeated these freaking conversations for years now. Either learn to fucking read or fuck off.
What were your books about?
I'm sorry if I arouse any feelings with my question

Reactions: Miðgarðsormr

Xanado

May 9, 2018
What's the point in whining about update releases. Either go do something else or join in on the trebuchet and bear poetry like the rest of the lunatics. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway long time no see everyone. Looking forward to be playing 3 updates at once the next one releases. It's going to be great! ;)

Last edited:

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
So is it safe to say that fantasy is officially better than crime novels?
Fantasy is easier. As crime novels are way more complex.

Crime novels are a small percentage of the publishers portfolio so the few writers who can actually make a living from that and get big bucks is shockingly small. However those few writers are masters of their craft.
George R.R Martin for example managed to convince half the world that a crime novel called "A Song of Ice and Fire" is a "Fantasy Novel" Yes there are dragons and magic and all that stuff but in essence it's about families trying to kill each other without getting caught in the process of plotting the murder of all their enemies. A crime novel disguised as fantasy.

Crime Novels are insanely complex as you either need the entire thing saved inside your head 24/7 or you write the ending first and the beginning last as you try to fix all the plot holes in the middle while also trying to not end up with lose ends or contradictions. Who did what when? Who knew? Who has motives? etc. The more characters you make the more complex the thing gets.
This not only limits your option to your skill level but also your creativity as you can't make stuff up as you go and always have to rethink an entire plot line or character to not fuck the entire thing up.

Thats entirely different on fantasy. The portfolio for publishers is gigantic. Some publishers even only publish fantasy novels and nothing else.
Something is unbelievable? It's magic, a curse, dragon blood, pact with the devil etc. Your way on how the story goes is only limited by what you can imagine. Way less stressfull and way better to achieve stuff.

Same goes for VN's on this board. If you write tons of characters and multiple plot lines your entire work on writing alone just multiplied into insanity. This is why you got tons of games with one generic bimbo girl after another who have character depth as deep as a thimble and you forget about 5 minutes later.

If you keep it compact however you can focus on the characters more in detail and fledge out their personality. Character depth becomes as deep and wide as the ocean and the characters you created fit better into the plot or main story in a more comfortable and natural way.

At least thats my experience.

Here we go again. From bear aerodynamics, through advanced theological discussion and now high literature.
High literature? Reminds me of rereading Faust.

4.70 star(s) 487 Votes