naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
While I appreciate the concern of all involved, I'm just very happy that someone is willing to go over a ton of text and make a translation. There's some big chunks of the world where understanding of English is not a given, and I'm really happy that someone is willing to take Macy and Denise to one of those places I cannot, and make their world a lot bigger. :cool:

Moricano has informed me he has finished, and I'm sure a link will be available soon. I hope you'll all leave him a like in appreciation for the work he put in. (y)

Mrs Delington

Donor
Oct 30, 2017
This morning, I fell on an old game that was in my files, abandonned (sadly), but from which the characters of Light of my Life have a little similarity. In my opinion, this is an example, like in our prefered VN that is Light of my Life, of beautiful interesting characters.

This VN is Lewis Mint's - Summer of Love.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Raiko1

May 30, 2018
It doesn't matter how she died. She did, somewhat abruptly (illness, accident, whatever). She's dead and he's in his current predicament, and that's what the story is about.
I thought she died in a car accident? Or was that just a fever dream?

Deleted member 1019532

Nov 18, 2018
Okay, so she died in a car accident. And your point is?

She died abruptly, totally upset MC's life, and that of his two daughters.

Doesn't matter how she died (unless MC or one of the daughters caused it), she's dead. No longer breathing. Pushing up daisies. Taking a dirt nap.

Dolphin3000

May 9, 2017
Hello RG80100. I will try to explain to you where I was going with my comment.
Yes, it's true, I criticized. With reason.

English is not my first language too....
... I am able to understand that Moricano is enthusiastic with the game, and with a project to have this VN in his own language. This is normal. But in a other way, if you want to keep the spirit and integrity of what the author created with this novel, if you translate it, be sure to use the good words and translate everything correctly. If not, what the portuguese speaking people could say if the text does not make sense ? They could find the game boring, garbage, whatever. So it's not very respectful for the real creator of this game. And this could lead to the opposite of the goal; to have more patrons and people that could like the game. My opinion.
... But this is me, and I am not the creator of Light of my Life, but just a fan and a patreon that have great respect for the creator and his artwork, including the text in his VN.
The problem was that Moricano cannot write well in English, although he can read it well. The same thing happens to me in Spanish. So he probably wrote his post in Portuguese and got it translated in Google or whatever. Then he copied and paste the translation here. But some words were not translated (dialogos ---> dialogues, telenovela ---> soap opera) and in some parts the automatic translation made the sentence difficult to be understood.
I suppose he won't have a hard time writing it in Portuguese since it is his native language.

Reactions: naughtyroad

Erik1986

Jul 5, 2017
Just like i can translate a game from japanese, by throwing it through a google translate and then going over the results to edit and make the text atleast gramaticaly sound and mean something, same can be said of his portugeuse translation. You dont need a great talent in writing a language, you just need to be able to understand it enought to extract the correct meaning and tone in order to translate it to your own language.

Now sure, there are variations: my example of me translating japanese will likely include some guess work and alter the text even if slightly, from the original, despite my best intention. But his might be much better if he is able to translate directly without relying on google or other machine translators. The only thing that can be dificult to translate is typical language or culture related expresions, just try to translate this to english and it probaly will mean nothing to you: ochtendrood water in de sloot, which would translate to: morning red water in the ditch. As you can see, it simply does not translate well. This is in my opinion the bigest hurdle to any translation.

So give the guy some credit, a pad on the back, and support his efforts. He is doing a incredably difficult thing to give people who dont read/write english, the joy of playing this game. That can only be aplauded. (y) ;)

Mrs Delington

Donor
Oct 30, 2017
There was no offense to you Mom and Son, it’s just i found your text a bit harsh that’s all.
Hey, no worries, I am just happy that people are able to respect each other and exchange their opinions. But it's true, my text was a bit harsh, and I am sorry if I could have offended someone. Now reading all the other comments, maybe my fears about the translation was not founded. So I just wish good luck with the success of this VN, and happy to see that people like Moricano involve their own personal contribution in this success. (y)

bauman

Sep 11, 2018
Love the game, dev. It's obvious you've put a ton of thought and work in the project so far. Great story, lovely characters. I'll wait for one more update before I put a favorable review and I hope you continue with the quality content. Highly recommended to anybody who's still on the fence about giving it a try.

4.70 star(s) 487 Votes