throbzombie

Oct 15, 2020
They're right though. The game is super linear and lacks any actual gameplay loop. It should go down the DoL route by being a battle to get through the story against the corruption and lewdification of your character, balanced around rng elements so you will inevitably lose. It needs more bad ends and more unexpected sandbox content. Zones, especially Dominion, need redesigning around forcing you to travel through danger spots instead of all the safe streets. Randomly generated enemies need to have things like bondage giver fetish and physically put you in items. Enslavement has been waited on forever. And a focus on the player entering a cascading degradation of moral values should occur. Use Trap Quest and DoL for inspiration but really lean in on the randomly generated characters doing a lot more stuff. Apply tattoos. Put the player in items that are cursed that have negative effects. Apply effects that make the player unable to NOT submit to an opponent. Etc etc etc. On top of this make sure to actually create a gameplay loop event (rising rent costs? toll roads/gates that rise over time?) to force the player into requiring larger and larger sums of money just to barely survive, this will actually give the player something to struggle against in the world and make how they end up spending their time a meaningful choice instead of literally just going to your bed and spamming "skip to sunset/skip to sunrise" for several days to skip to an event you want to do.

There's an absolute mountain of stuff that could be explored if the game had a proper gameplay loop to balance around and a vision of what a gameplay loop actually is.

Right now it's a linear visual novel without any visuals. Build it into a struggle against transformation, corruption and moral degradation with proper timelimits as a driving force for the player to use their time wisely and push forwards. Right now it's trying to be way too many things and the answer given is "just RP it" and this mindset results in it failing to be anything but mediocre at a lot of things.

The foundation is fantastic, the fundamental understanding of what a game actually is happens to be what's missing.
You're proposing an entirely different design philosophy than is intended. LT is all about empowerment, but you want it to be a hardcore survival-type thing. If you want to play DoL, go play DoL. LT is for the those who want to dominate the game world, not be subject to it.

Divus

May 6, 2018
I do think that the game could have more 'victimization' elements, like the Bondage perk on NPCS, or actual forced TF/Fetish Stuff beyond the 'Ah ha ha, I have defeated you, now, choose to willingly drink my potion of three to five themed TF's and maybe a fetish.' While I agree that LT is not a game where you have to fight for survival, I think the availability of easy customization items should come with the caveat that enemies and NPC's should be able to pull more extreme defeat consequences. As it is, for an enemy to fully TF you into their perfect waifu means you have to deliberately lose three or four times, which is honestly hard to do unless you're playing at the highest difficulty. Alternatively, put stronger penalties on losing to 'boss' NPC's. one of the better ones, for me at least, is when you lose to the Blue Tower Incubus and he throws like, three sealed items on you after winning to try to force you to love getting knocked up. You can immediately pay essence to remove them, but the idea is there. More shit like that gives flavor to the NPC's and a real chance of being mildly inconvenienced by having to either reload a save or working to fix yourself after a loss.

Reactions: MercurialQuark
Sep 7, 2020
If you want a collar so bad, go to Amber and lick her feet until she likes you enough to make you her pet.
Yeah but that's not the point though.

It doesn't scratch anyones itch to go and engage with something they already know is going to occur. I mean, it does the FIRST time and then every time after that it rings hollow because there's no surprise in it, there's no uncertainty in it, you already know how to beat it, and any loss involved is a voluntary action. The player isn't being dominated. The player is submitting.

This is an important distinction. Force is a requirement of domination. You aren't being dommed unless you're being forced in some way. You're allowing it to happen to some extent within safety-word boundaries that you're comfortable with, but ultimately are in fact being forced. That's domination. This act, performed in this way, is pure submission.

But the main factor here is the linear, unsurprising lack of replayability this involves. Without surprise, without its potential to be a radiantly discovered event through a series of overlapping world possibilities coming about through various systems impacting upon the players decisions and behaviour that the player is attempting to simultaneously balance, it becomes hollow after that first time experience. With the addition of overlapping systems that generate different choices from the player and different outcomes because of the wide variety of possibilities it then becomes something that can go quite differently on any and every run. This then becomes exciting, every single time. Never a stale event.

You're proposing an entirely different design philosophy than is intended. LT is all about empowerment, but you want it to be a hardcore survival-type thing. If you want to play DoL, go play DoL. LT is for the those who want to dominate the game world, not be subject to it.
In order to dominate something it has to pose a challenge that goes beyond just grind. That's the point. A game is a challenge that is overcome, I simply propose that the game needs more VARIETY of challenges for the player to overcome, as it currently stands there is one challenge and one challenge only, "Am I strong enough to beat this thing?" and that challenge is simply overcome by grinding to be stronger.

This wears out as soon as the player is done with the harpy nest (which is fantastic as an idea) because the player has seen this gameplay loop now and already overcome it.

While I disagree with a lot of what you wrote, Inno is definitely not appreciating what her claimed vision of this game is going to require in order to be ... well, a game.

LT is supposed to be an RPG. What it needs - far more than a chase for cash or ramping up the challenge level - is meaningful player choice. The meaningful choice that's been set up so far is between choosing to liberate or conquer. Then Inno decided to work on other stuff for a couple years, so that's gone nowhere so far.

The way you play the game needs to be reflected in the story that emerges from the game. The "descent into depravity" arc is one I've used myself, but it should be just one possible way to approach the game.
I agree to an extent, and tell Inno I don't mean her harm. I'm just very blunt, if I thought I was going to hurt feelings I probably would have been less blunt, I didn't expect her to read here.

What I think, however, is that player choices are more meaningful when player choices have real consequences. Forced transformation and forced fetish are already there, these are foundational building blocks I believe of what I am already talking about. My post simply suggests greatly expanding these elements.

Tell Inno that Forced Transformation and Forced Fetish doesn't trigger during enemy encounters created by storm as well, even when set 100%. I suspect this is an oversight.

The reality of the things I am suggesting are simple, add forced clothing items, as another option if you really need to make everything optional, add forced tattoos, add forced mental states and tie mental states to forced decisions in game (like the forced transformation drink toggle). If a character has been made fully submissive, that character should submit, until the player can find a way to cure themselves of course. Forced eating. Forced bondage. Forced sex toys. In the losing state against dangerous opponents these should all be possibilities and the number of combinations and depth this can have with the systems for enchantments that already exist are endless. There is a huge amount that could be done.

Redesign of areas is really part of two things, making the player travel through some sort of danger zone to deter consistent back and forth travel for showers to heal, making use of healing items, and generally making the world a touch more dangerous and interesting as a result. Some thugs(or enforcers) with a toll passageway could function as an alternative to rent, forcing the player to pay a toll on passing them, deterring too much usage of the passage. Increasing this over time as an increasing threat.

My wording of "inevitable" was perhaps incorrect. It doesn't necessarily have to be inevitable. The point isn't to make an unwinnable game, that too is boring. But to create an outcome that is fulfilling beyond "I grinded to get stronger and beat them".

You can tie this into much more interesting enemy encounters as well. Right now enemy encounters are "did i lose or win?". Whereas with more focus on the elements that make up this world - transformation, bondage, domination, submission, fetishes and tattoos - you can incorporate these into enemy attacks themselves. So, you may win an encounter with an enemy, but instead of trying to either attack you or lust you, these enemies threw lassos at your character and then managed to put a cursed submission collar on you right as you dealt them the final blow. Your encounter is more meaningful here because while you may have crushed the enemies, their attacks actually still pose a further challenge that you must now deal with -- the submission collar. You have decisions to make about the cost of its removal, whether you even have the currency to remove it, or whether you could play on with it for a while. You might avoid combat so avoid possible instances where you might be made to submit by an attempted domination attack. Etc etc etc.

I feel like I'm only really scratching the surface here with what could be done because the system is very powerful.

Oh and some more jobs could offset costs. Balancing around a steadily rising rent or toll is not necessarily difficult, the player is just given choices of several jobs that, when performed at adequate levels have the *potential* to meet costs. Each job itself can pose many predicaments and challenges too of course. Prostitution already features this to a minor extent in it being a decision between raising corruption and gaining fetishes vs earning cash, also the possibility of losing virginity with a wrong move although the sex game is a little flawed in some respects to this which I let slide and expect is already intended to one day be addressed. Jobs are the most obvious potential gameplay loop for both RP and a cash motivator loop, and a potential place to stick all kinds of fun situational stuff you might see in those particular kinds of workplaces. I can think of a few that are quite lore specific too that wouldn't exist in real life.

Am I being unfair in characterising the current gameplay loop as "grind to get strong and collect cash then beat the next thing" ? I don't think so. What I'm really getting at is that because this is the only loop that exists players end up feeling... Wanting. My point is to look for how to introduce more loops, and obviously I'm leaning in quite heavily on the two most obvious popular sandbox world games that feature sub/dom as examples to take such loop ideas from.

Another potential here is that it would really work VERY well with loot drops (from enemies or whatever) that require the player to "identify" items, detrimental gear being in the game is itself begging to be used in a meaningful way. Gear can have detrimental and positive effects while also being cursed, and having the full suite of possible outcomes.

I'll just add last of all here, losing in games is an involuntary outcome, and an absolutely essential event to making games... Games. As are statuses, debuffs, and all kinds of things intended to impact the player and make the player have to perform meaningful choices that actually change from playthrough to playthrough. All of the above essentially just ends up being statuses, debuffs and various possible negatives that players balance to avoid losing, leading to a more enjoyable and deeper game beyond "am I strong?" It adds layers of challenge and choice beyond just levelling your strength.

Last edited:

Scapdra1

Feb 3, 2021
Another potential here is that it would really work VERY well with loot drops (from enemies or whatever) that require the player to "identify" items, detrimental gear being in the game is itself begging to be used in a meaningful way. Gear can have detrimental and positive effects while also being cursed, and having the full suite of possible outcomes.
Honestly this is one of the things I can agree with. The gear in this game (even the epic and legendary items/sets) feel completely underwhelming in every aspect. Even with limits active I can enchant something considerably more useful/powerful effortlessly. If they were made a lot more powerful in exchange for a drawback (IE a fetish or loss of defense)they would be a lot more interesting to interact with/build around.

Toramizu

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
The game is about player freedom, not imposed restrictions. It's more like Fenoxo's games (CoC and TiTS) than Trap Quest or Degree of Lewdity.
And it's not really a "linear visual novel", it has gameplay, sidequests and freeform gameplay, like slave hunting.
But I agree about needing some changes. The game is indeed too lax in most cases. I'd like to be able to find a rare item or slave, but you can buy 90% of the items in the main shops and slave looks and fetishes can be too easily changed to bother looking for interesting ones.

Last edited:

Indexless

Aug 25, 2017
I think the main thing I want from this game is more sandbox elements when you invite people to live in your apartment. My ideal is something like Artificial Academy 2 where characters can just do whatever they want and interact with each other in unique ways. Say you might notice someone getting close to someone you're in a relationship with trying to fuck them so you can try push them away or let it happen and watch the consequences or say you have 2 characters you want in your harem but they hate each other and won't join so long as the other is there so you have to try make them get along. I want more layers of randomness to spice things up because things are more interesting that way.

Divus

May 6, 2018
The thing is, Even CoC or TiTs has 'badstuff' as a result of loss, things worth avoiding, and things that provide the illusion of a loss of control for the player. And even in the power fantasy aspect of LT, its kind of underwhelming unless you get off exclusively to 'big number go brr.' In CoC, for example, there's Marble, with her addictive milk, and in that game getting rid of addiction is a multi-day withdrawal where you are made weaker both by not keeping the boon associated with it up, but actually temporarily lose stat points. In LT, the closest thing is Roxy's 'lick for an item' addiction, which you solve by simply enchanting an item to remove addictions.
Speaking of addiction, its a mechanic that works for interesting interactions for both sides, neither of which are really implemented. There are no events where you're accosted in the streets by an NPC you fucked full of addictive cum, begging you to have your way with them so they can get a fix. There's no bonus to slave affection or obedience for making them physically dependent on you, or penalties to money earned when they go through withdrawal.
Its a lack of consequence, really, no matter what side your on in the dom/sub path.

Daddums

Oct 26, 2019
Speaking of addiction, its a mechanic that works for interesting interactions for both sides, neither of which are really implemented. There are no events where you're accosted in the streets by an NPC you fucked full of addictive cum, begging you to have your way with them so they can get a fix. There's no bonus to slave affection or obedience for making them physically dependent on you, or penalties to money earned when they go through withdrawal.
Its a lack of consequence, really, no matter what side your on in the dom/sub path.
There actually was supposed to be such a system, but I think Inno gave up on it.

That's more or less why I think it's stupid to ask Inno to change the game to fit this punishment simulator or make such drastic changes because it's not gonna end up how you want it to and you're just gonna end up pissing off the people that like the game's direction as it is -- even if it's at a snail's pace and particularly shallow it's in the direction they want. Inno needs to get people who know how to code that can apply the system Inno wants into the game, Inno can design the framework but someone much more skilled can get it working. Once that comes around, yeah, you can start adding bad end people into the game, but until then? Inno isn't capable enough to pull it off. For cripesake... how long has that "Talk about background" system been "not presently implemented" with a generic, "I'm not ready to talk about it"?

If Inno does get such a team... maybe one such punishment scenario would be you got arrested by Enforcers and you have to play the game in prison with its own system and culture until someone posts bail for you or pays off the debt. Maybe a bounty system that sends stronger people after you as time goes on or crimes increase. The way I understand it even being related to a Lilin has some limits to what you can pull off, it might just be a three day stint and the more you get arrested the longer you end up in there until you can get someone to pay it off for you. You can be a prison bitch or you can take one in this scenario, but without the magic items and the present nerfing it would probably be one hell of a challenge.

Again, though, until Inno has people that know what they're doing to fix up such a system... don't ask for it. Not just for our sake, but your own. I like the game, but I'll be as blunt as possible about it.

Reactions: MercurialQuark
Sep 7, 2020
Don't get me wrong, part of the point I'm making is to avoid it all being "bad end" stuff.

The point is for all of this to be radiant. To be part of the world. Not scripted encounters but encounters that occur from random enemies out of interlocking systems. This already exists to create a character like Brax for example, you can cross a dangerous part of the city and encounter a wolf that is literally Brax who wants to transform you into his wolfgirl and give you the submission fetish.

The point is to expand on this principle. The systems exist to create a Brax, the systems should exist to create all the scripted types of characters you can imagine in this world. We have scripted characters that exist who will use cursed items intended to be debilitating, the point is that all scripted characters should also functionally be possible outcomes of the sandbox too.

which you solve by simply enchanting an item to remove addictions.
I completely agree with the point that being able to remove these debilitating effects instantly basically means consequences do not exist.

This could be resolved by making enchantment use require being at an enchanting table. Which means the player actually has to travel to the table at the very least, but ideally it would take more than 1 day, the lazy way to do this is to prevent enchantment removal for a randomised amount of time. This brings us back to why rent is needed though -- if something takes more than 1 day there needs to be something that prevents a player from skipping 5 days just by sleeping the entire time. Rent exists as a mechanic in games to prevent people just skipping ahead. It makes the days meaningful and makes the player think "I can't just waste my time".

Restrictions are necessary to making players have real meaningful choices.

As for dominant/submissive sides of this, you CAN cater to both player bases. This comes down to construction of the player character. You want to feel dominant (IE you beat everything in the world?) fine, we can do that in character creation via the choices of how a player constructs their character. Give strengths and weaknesses to player character creation and the players can prebuild the type of experience they may have, either one where all these kinds of features become negligible because you're ridiculously powerful, or one where all these kinds of features become an overwhelming force that corrupts and degrades the player into a sexualised bimbo mess because the player is a weak little thing that can't make it in this world of dominating demons.

You can have absolutely all these features and still allow players to be both powerful or weak within the world via character creation. DoL does this with player size, femininity and attractiveness changing the level of danger and ability to the player's overall capacity to fight back. Obviously that does not need to be copied. It can be done with all kinds of traits or possibilities.

It doesn't have to be a one or the other thing. I don't know why everyone thinks that. If you want to be powerful and capable of dominating without being subject to all this stuff then you just build a powerful character. If you want to experience a challenging battle against all this that you either win or lose then you build an average character. If you want to experience a world that absolutely dominates and crushes you with all of these things then you build a very weak character. The different types of players that want different experiences can still be catered to just fine.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
Inno needs to get people who know how to code that can apply the system Inno wants into the game, Inno can design the framework but someone much more skilled can get it working.
You know, bounties might be a decent way of encouraging this sort of behavior. Github has a projects feature where milestones and such can be posted and set. If Inno made use of this and attached some amount of quiddage to it, I'm sure people would bite. It would be way cheaper than hiring someone full-time, but it would still ensure that people who contribute significant fixes/features get compensated from it (thus encouraging them to take on the work).

Naturally, some level of quality control would have to be maintained to ensure that people don't end up pocketing, say, £100 for contributing utter garbage.

anon707

Jun 13, 2018
There actually was supposed to be such a system, but I think Inno gave up on it.

That's more or less why I think it's stupid to ask Inno to change the game to fit this punishment simulator or make such drastic changes because it's not gonna end up how you want it to and you're just gonna end up pissing off the people that like the game's direction as it is -- even if it's at a snail's pace and particularly shallow it's in the direction they want. Inno needs to get people who know how to code that can apply the system Inno wants into the game, Inno can design the framework but someone much more skilled can get it working. Once that comes around, yeah, you can start adding bad end people into the game, but until then? Inno isn't capable enough to pull it off. For cripesake... how long has that "Talk about background" system been "not presently implemented" with a generic, "I'm not ready to talk about it"?

If Inno does get such a team... maybe one such punishment scenario would be you got arrested by Enforcers and you have to play the game in prison with its own system and culture until someone posts bail for you or pays off the debt. Maybe a bounty system that sends stronger people after you as time goes on or crimes increase. The way I understand it even being related to a Lilin has some limits to what you can pull off, it might just be a three day stint and the more you get arrested the longer you end up in there until you can get someone to pay it off for you. You can be a prison bitch or you can take one in this scenario, but without the magic items and the present nerfing it would probably be one hell of a challenge.

Again, though, until Inno has people that know what they're doing to fix up such a system... don't ask for it. Not just for our sake, but your own. I like the game, but I'll be as blunt as possible about it.
and this is why the game needs a fresh do over.

Carl0sDanger

May 22, 2020
I agree to an extent, and tell Inno I don't mean her harm.
By "appreciate", I meant "understand". As in, " Inno is definitely not understanding what her claimed vision of this game is going to require ..."

I was not speaking on behalf of Inno, nor have I communicated with her for some time.

I agree with you about choices needing consequences. I'd probably go further and say a choice can't really be meaningful without consequences. This is what's behind the "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle" criticism that many have leveled at mechanics like the transformation system. You can turn into just about anything, but there's only a couple of situations where anyone even notices. You can get your slaver license from Finch as a 40-something man, return to his shop as a teenage catgirl and he doesn't say shit.

Ahem.

I think something you may be overlooking though is that the game is currently only just out of the intro stage. It's only after the MC talks with Lilaya that the projected plot of the game proper is revealed. Until very recently, this was also where the main questline had stalled for a couple years while Inno added sidequests (to the intro stage!) and fiddled with the mechanics of systems that are going to eventually have to be replaced. It's hardly surprising that there are very few - if any - events with repercussions for the MC; the game's not yet at the stage where such things would be appropriate.

We're really going to have to see how the current stage pans out. What I'd like is for Inno to provide actual choices as to how the MC is going to approach the confrontation with Lunette. At minimum, I think there needs to be a clear choice between liberation and conquest. Beyond that, there should be other opportunities to affect the kind of story that emerges from the game. Choice of allies? Tactics?

Probably my most significant disagreement with you would be with your contention that any significant improvement could be made to the current game by increasing the significance of random encounters. I think this would actually work against one the game's core concept: empowerment. I simply don't want a random event to determine the way my MC's story goes.

Full disclosure: I found DoL to be quite uninteresting. Clearly we have different tastes.

crash.7ds

Nov 18, 2018
There really isn't one that I've heard of, now that you mention it. There were some mini-image packs on the discord channel last I saw.

Ghost2894

Nov 17, 2020
Maybe it's because im basically playing the game in cheat mode, but with the non-consensual stuff turned on I still have yet to encounter it. I also havent really left the starting city either

4.10 star(s) 119 Votes