BBGunna

Aug 27, 2018
Okay, as someone who really, really hates GRRM, that's not fair to him at all. At least he managed to get someone else to turn his work into a good show for three seasons. That's something. And his writing might be shit, but its at least publishable shit lol
Agreed, the comparison was more meant to display how neither is ever going to finish the large project they set out to do and at this point have clearly lost passion for the very thing that brought them so much money and attention. At this point both should just be upfront about the fact they clearly have no desire to finish said projects, but neither will cause money/ego.
All in all I'd put my money on sooner seeing a published version of Winds of Winter before we ever get a complete/stable version of LT.

BBGunna

Aug 27, 2018
you know, i scroll through this thread and see nothing but dislike and steadily growing hatred for the devs, and i understand a lot of it but brushed it aside because i understand burning out of a game development project and leaving it alone with tiny incremental updates to keep people interested.

i understand the hatred. i understand the dev.

and then i saw what the game was doing to my fucking memory like what the fuck-

i did a level 3 video game design and technology course in college and moved on to an additional three years in university, and i've seen it all. and i mean, i have seen some shit.

i have never, in literally all my 23 years of existence, seen such a travesty of coding and mismanagement of resources. i took one look at the code and my fucking eyes bled, my brain began leaking, my fucking ears ruptured. it was like staring into the sun and the sun directly staring back, daring you to look away. but you cant, because if you do you'll miss the sun suddenly getting just that little bit bigger, and then bam you're fucked up the arse with over 50GB of memory just gone, eradicated, reduced to atoms-

my everything hurts, and now i need to lie dow. rock on with the hate-party boys, rock on.
This is the thing that really irks me about Inno, I'm far from a programmer I did a course or two in College years ago and pretty much only know very basic stuff as a hobby. But fuck for this much time and money I feel like if you're still this bad at coding you either have zero talent or just aren't trying to improve, might be a bit of both in this case seeing how much spaghetti code is here.

It's sad because there is a really good game in here, so much potential being wasted on a person who clearly can't ever deliver. I get why people still pay money, lots of people have convinced themselves that with enough time and money that Inno will deliver the awesome version of the game this deserves to be, unfortunately I just don't think that game will very come from Inno, fan projects and mods may be the only hope. Would love to be proven wrong though...

Reactions: Tiasung and B2B2

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
you mentioned you've played some slave management games, and i've played a good few as well, but i was wondering if you had any suggestions that are more like this game specifically? or if not like this then better? off the top of my head a few slave management games i've played - and still play because they're actually pretty fun - are SlaveMaker, Strive For Power, Free Cities, and if i'm bored i'll play SlaveMatrix. any other suggestions?
I'm going to be honest, I don't have any other suggestions that are similar to this one. I'm actually playing the strive for power conquest patch right now lol

CaptainBipto

Sep 20, 2018
if i recall correctly, the romance side-quest for Helena - the Swan Harpy lady part of Scarlett's quest - requires you to hand over Scarlett after you've enslaved her and, to do that, you need her in your party. unless there's some convolutedly simple way i just ignored or something, i'm pretty sure that the companion system is required for that. i'm unsure about other quests though - mostly because i dont remember most of the early quests all that well.
It used to be that you had to add Scarlet into your party and walk over to Helena's store, but that part of the romance quest with Helena was changed. I can't remember when it changed, but now when you interact with Scarlet there is just a button that magically teleports you and Scarlet to her store in the slave alley.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
if i recall correctly, the romance side-quest for Helena - the Swan Harpy lady part of Scarlett's quest - requires you to hand over Scarlett after you've enslaved her and, to do that, you need her in your party. unless there's some convolutedly simple way i just ignored or something, i'm pretty sure that the companion system is required for that.
That's correct. Elementals use the same basic system.

I think IvoryOwl is referring to the option in the menu that allows you to bring arbitrary companions with you, as well as the companion-specific dialogue littered in the game (such as bringing slave Brax with you when you talk to Sean in Slaver's Alley). That sort of thing tends to give people false hope.

This is the thing that really irks me about Inno, I'm far from a programmer I did a course or two in College years ago and pretty much only know very basic stuff as a hobby. But fuck for this much time and money I feel like if you're still this bad at coding you either have zero talent or just aren't trying to improve, might be a bit of both in this case seeing how much spaghetti code is here.
Inno has actually improved pretty drastically since the project started. The problem is that 1) many of those old systems haven't received the touchups that they need and 2) knowing how to program doesn't mean that you have the ability to properly organize and plan ahead (that's what separates a junior programmer from a senior programmer or software engineer). Inno is a better world builder than a software engineer and there's strong hints of that all throughout the code.

The former is something that can be improved with drastic refactors, but the latter is something that needs to be built up through collaboration and failure. If LT is Inno's first project—and I suspect it is—she's skipping a lot of steps that programmers generally take. I was a decent enough programmer in my teens, but I had to code myself into a corner many times before I learned how to actually design software.

In fairness, she's far from alone in this. It's much easier to get into programming and game development these days, and the multitude of fly-by-night Patreon projects are a side-effect of this very issue. It's easy to plot pixels to a screen, but it's hard to make a well-structured, maintainable program. A lot of people seem to like to shit on engines like Ren'Py and Twine, but despite their shortcomings they largely allow artists to just be artists. Without tools like those you'd have more cases like this, where artists have to figure out how to make a game engine before they can create their art.

I really don't think Inno is lying when she says she's experiencing burnout. The problem I have is that she's producing very little and earning an increasing amount of money. I would be shitcanned in a second if my productivity at work were anything like this, but as we see time and time again fanboyism and the sunk cost fallacy love to rear their ugly heads when scheduled donations are involved.

themaxdiecool

May 13, 2021
I was able to replicate this on my Mac. Turns out the Oracle JRE 8 installer only installs the browser plugin, so it will never be used when you try to launch it via Finder (or even through the command line without some finagling). Instead, it would try to use the OpenJDK 14 install that comes with macOS, which doesn't have JavaFX support built in (neither does your installed copy of JDK 12—Oracle removed JavaFX from JDK 11 in favor of OpenJFX, which is a separate SDK).

One approach I was able to use to get working was to use the Terminal to force it to launch using the JRE embedded in the browser plugin:

Code:
/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -jar LilithsThrone_0_4.jar
It's definitely a bit unwieldy. :/ If you aren't comfortable with using a shell, I attached a script that will do this for you. Just unzip it and move it into the same directory as the JAR file. Running the script (you should be able to just run it from Finder) will launch the game using Oracle JRE 8.
Thank u very much, for Mac problem, this is the solution.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Sarkath

Tattletale21

Jan 26, 2020
so i just gave a look through the linked wiki this game has - that it has a wiki at all is something i've actively ignored up to now - and i understand it's a wiki updated as the game is developed, therefore it takes time to actually be updated...but the lack of content on the wiki genuinely astounds me. the wiki looks like it hasn't been updated since the 'Submission' area was added. and that was fucking ages ago. i'd do it myself but i have neither the inclination to do it nor the, to be frank, impartiality required for accurate additions to the wiki to be added.

something that isn't talked about, i imagine, and something i doubt will receive any updates even after bringing it up, but i just felt the need to talk about it.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
so i just gave a look through the linked wiki this game has - that it has a wiki at all is something i've actively ignored up to now - and i understand it's a wiki updated as the game is developed, therefore it takes time to actually be updated...but the lack of content on the wiki genuinely astounds me.
Yeah, the same thing happened with the Flexible Survival wiki. I think in both cases the wikis are largely community-operated, and I imagine people generally just lose interest after a while. "Smutty game wiki editor" is like a niche within a niche, lol.

Reactions: OneWayMissile

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
Yeah, the same thing happened with the Flexible Survival wiki. I think in both cases the wikis are largely community-operated, and I imagine people generally just lose interest after a while. "Smutty game wiki editor" is like a niche within a niche, lol.
Yeah, pretty much.

Funny story, I hate the flexible survival wiki so much I started working on a program that would read their source code and build one automatically. Like, you'd just download the a copy of the git, it'd read the text files and build you a list of locations, events, characters, and some general info for each. All I really wanted for their wiki was a list of NPCs, and which events/locations they're tied to. Really basic, but the wiki is so out of date it doesn't exists.

Woulda worked, but eventually I gave up because of how insanely inconsistent their code's structure is. Plus it would have essentially been me rebuilding their game engine lol

A large portion of that project is what I'm using as part of my own game's file inturpreter lol

Probably good I gave that up now that they're moving to a new engine.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
Funny story, I hate the flexible survival wiki so much I started working on a program that would read their source code and build one automatically. Like, you'd just download the a copy of the git, it'd read the text files and build you a list of locations, events, characters, and some general info for each. All I really wanted for their wiki was a list of NPCs, and which events/locations they're tied to. Really basic, but the wiki is so out of date it doesn't exists.

Woulda worked, but eventually I gave up because of how insanely inconsistent their code's structure is. Plus it would have essentially been me rebuilding their game engine lol
Sounds like a cool project! But yeah, considering how long it's been going on and how many contributors there are, I imagine that would prove to be kinda difficult. You'd pretty much have to write an Inform 7 parser for it to be completely effective.

Probably good I gave that up now that they're moving to a new engine.
I'm really glad they're switching to Godot, and I hope they stick with the shared source model that they currently use (I imagine they will, given how open they are to contributions).

I don't care which Godot-supported language they stick with, I can guarantee that it's going to break my brain—and computer—less than Inform does. At one point I tried to get a build environment set up for it and it was pure, unadulterated pain. Between requiring a bunch of very specific setup, it took over 10 minutes to compile on an overclocked i7-8700K (and that's not including the sheer number of issues I had getting the compiler to work in the first place). >:|

Reactions: MercurialQuark

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
New update. Nothing interesting. Another promised deadline that there's no way gets kept since it involves writing story content.

Inno said:
Hello again,

I wanted to make this post to let you all know what I've been working on since the release of v0.4.2, and what my plan is for the next update. So, since Sunday, I've been working on fixing bugs and getting some other small things addressed, and I've just now finished adding support for 'one-shot' weapons (i.e. throwables). I've pushed my current progress to github if you wanted to check it out ( ), although I'll hold off on packaging it for a release until I've got the Evelyx's Dairy content written.

Speaking of the next release, I'm planning on getting more bugs fixed tomorrow, and then over the weekend I'm going to be focusing on writing. As soon as I've got all of the placeholders for Evelyx's Dairy written, I'll release what I've got as another small public update. After that, I'll move on to adding new content for the preview update of v0.4.2.5, which will likely be focused on main story content and Elis's Shopping precinct.

I'm hoping to have this next small public update ready by the start of next week, but as with all of my release date expectations, there might be some delay. Thank you for playing LT, and I'll see you again in the next post (hopefully soon)!

HerrLeutnant

Sep 17, 2020
New update. Nothing interesting. Another promised deadline that there's no way gets kept since it involves writing story content.
I believe I've mentioned this before... But YanDev and Innoxia should totally date! xD If anyone is bored enough to do a drawing of that horrid vision - please do!

aspar4gus

Mar 27, 2019
Speaking of yandev as parallels, i also found it weird that no one has at least took the breeding season route and try to make similar games/genre, even if the intention is just to scam/milk patrons.

I mean, the demand is clearly visibly there... but this game really has no competitor

HerrLeutnant

Sep 17, 2020
We lack photo of innoxia
Considering how Yandev sees himself as an anime girl or a typical anime boy, I don't think it matters too much how Innoxia would look like! xD

Or just make Innoxia look like a girl cosplaying as Samus Aran, given Yandev's obsession!

Speaking of yandev as parallels, i also found it weird that no one has at least took the breeding season route and try to make similar games/genre, even if the intention is just to scam/milk patrons.

I mean, the demand is clearly visibly there... but this game really has no competitor
But there do exist games that have a breeding mechanic. Or did I misread something?

aspar4gus

Mar 27, 2019
But there do exist games that have a breeding mechanic. Or did I misread something?
Ahahah oh no no sorry for being unclear, i mean lilith throne, as far as i know there's no other dev trying to make this kind of game, which is partly why inno can get away with... all of these... it's because she had monopolies over this genre, ppl who got a taste of this kind of game and liked it are now stuck with no other choice

HerrLeutnant

Sep 17, 2020
Ahahah oh no no sorry for being unclear, i mean lilith throne, as far as i know there's no other dev trying to make this kind of game, which is partly why inno can get away with... all of these... it's because she had monopolies over this genre, ppl who got a taste of this kind of game and liked it are now stuck with no other choice
Ah! Well, there IS Corruption of Champions! There however, you are limited as to what you can do during the fuckage when it ensues!

SheepPun

Mar 30, 2021
as far as i know there's no other dev trying to make this kind of game, which is partly why inno can get away with...
This is mostly because the level of freedom LT offers is an utter nightmare to plan, design, code and write for. It's the reason there's such a limited pool of... well, actual text.
Not a lot of devs want to make this type of game because of how massive it is, because even a relatively small project can be stressful as fuck.

4.10 star(s) 119 Votes