tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
This is mostly because the level of freedom LT offers is an utter nightmare to plan, design, code and write for. It's the reason there's such a limited pool of... well, actual text.
Not a lot of devs want to make this type of game because of how massive it is, because even a relatively small project can be stressful as fuck.
You're not wrong about the writing being the challenge. But I don't think the game itself is the problem. Designing and creating a text game was challenging 30 years ago, but its a pretty easy thing to start building these days. You just need to do some really basic planning ahead. The problem is you better be prepared to write multiple novels worth of content if you want to really flesh it out.

Like, something like flexible survival is a good example. Look at the amount of content they have, and then realize that's because like 5+ dedicated people have been writing for it every month for like 10 years.

One of the big problems with LT is that it honestly seems like Inno doesn't really have any passion for that part of the project. Every now and then an idea will click and she'll waste a ton of time developing something no one wants, but anytime she's forced to write for the actual game, everything gets dragged out forever and no progress is made for months. Or you get shit like Nyan's quest, which I'm still convinced she had someone on the discord server write for her.

Carl0sDanger

May 22, 2020
I really don't think Inno is lying when she says she's experiencing burnout.
Well no, but Inno's situation seems to be that she's caught in a vicious cycle of lack of progress leading to depression and guilt, leading to avoidance of work on the project, leading to lack of progress. It's a fucking recipe for burnout.

The only ways to resolve this situation are to either abandon the project entirely or to resume work on it. Taking a week off to see if that helps is clearly not helping. And really, why would it? If you're stressed out due to lack of progress on a project, taking a week off is just going to increase your stress levels: you're now another week behind.

Inno needs - if she wants to keep making this game - to go from a vicious cycle to a virtuous cycle. Steady releases of new content that represent actual progress, player testing of that content, bugfixes, then new content again. At which point, she's going to find that her issues fade into the background as her brain starts producing happy chemicals rather than sad ones.

She needs to get some kind of momentum going.

Which of course gets us back to the question of whether the game's code can actually support any kind of momentum.

Dr.Feelgood

Sep 21, 2018
Well no, but Inno's situation seems to be that she's caught in a vicious cycle of lack of progress leading to depression and guilt, leading to avoidance of work on the project, leading to lack of progress. It's a fucking recipe for burnout.

The only ways to resolve this situation are to either abandon the project entirely or to resume work on it. Taking a week off to see if that helps is clearly not helping. And really, why would it? If you're stressed out due to lack of progress on a project, taking a week off is just going to increase your stress levels: you're now another week behind.

Inno needs - if she wants to keep making this game - to go from a vicious cycle to a virtuous cycle. Steady releases of new content that represent actual progress, player testing of that content, bugfixes, then new content again. At which point, she's going to find that her issues fade into the background as her brain starts producing happy chemicals rather than sad ones.

She needs to get some kind of momentum going.

Which of course gets us back to the question of whether the game's code can actually support any kind of momentum.
Considering this cycle has been going on for a few years, I doubt we will be seeing any changes for the better. Maybe Inno will buckle down and start trying to improve the project for the better, taking away a lot of the stress coming from the project being in such a disastrous state if we take her excuses at face value. Given how content releases have become much more vapid and infrequent over such a large amount of time... if Inno truly wants to improve her mental health or work on this project, she will need to take a month or two on break before treating this like a regular 9-5 job.

I strongly doubt this is the case though. Whether it is from Inno refusing to put in the painstaking hard work to get her shit together for nebulous reasons or from flat out lying her ass off, I don't know. Either way, there is a long established precedent that does not inspire much hope here. There is still some hope, but damn is it nothing like it was.

BingChao

Jun 3, 2018
She'll get so stressed out on her month long paid vacation that the day she comes back she'll need to go on another one. That's the historical precedent.

Reactions: Admiral Thrawn

alfabb

Oct 11, 2018
Yeah, the same thing happened with the Flexible Survival wiki. I think in both cases the wikis are largely community-operated, and I imagine people generally just lose interest after a while. "Smutty game wiki editor" is like a niche within a niche, lol.
Are you talkng about the MUD or the SP game? Also, could you give an example of a bigger content block that is completely missing? Preferably of the scaled variety... for research purposes.

• Haha
Reactions: Sarkath

Tattletale21

Jan 26, 2020
There's a few, but is the best-maintained and generally most up-to-date. There's some other useful features past reducing the minimum age in the mod, so it may be worth a look even for those not interested in such content.
you mentioned some other useful features beyond a simple dropping in age. could you tell us what they are? i've had startling difficulty finding anything on this mod.

Tattletale21

Jan 26, 2020
There's a few, but is the best-maintained and generally most up-to-date. There's some other useful features past reducing the minimum age in the mod, so it may be worth a look even for those not interested in such content.
also, to my great shame - and i mean, really, my great shame - i have no idea how to install said mod because the only modding i've done has come with morons-couldn't-fail-it instructions. so, uh...help? please?

BaloneyAmone

Mar 3, 2021
also, to my great shame - and i mean, really, my great shame - i have no idea how to install said mod because the only modding i've done has come with morons-couldn't-fail-it instructions. so, uh...help? please?
In terms of features past modifying age stuff:
  • Modifying heights all-around like with genital/cup sizes.
  • XP/Essence/Money/loot drop multipliers for fights.
  • Changing pregnancy duration, in case you want to make babies faster and drinking the potions to do so is beneath you.
  • Changing max level, down to 25 and up to 100
  • Defining what percentage of NPC spawns are virgins
  • Watersports content, if you're into that *shrug*
  • A "hug enemies to defeat" option, which might be broken, but I dunno
The mod is a separate install entirely from the main game. You simply leave your unmodded version alone and store it in a different folder. If the .jar fails to run, the page also has an all-version .exe to run it, placing it in the same folder as the .jar to do so.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
Are you talkng about the MUD or the SP game? Also, could you give an example of a bigger content block that is completely missing? Preferably of the scaled variety... for research purposes.
The SP game. I honestly can't remember any specific examples off the top of my head, as lately I've been just popping a couple of aspirin and diving into the Inform code due to a bunch of the wiki content being outdated. Generally speaking it's not that whole character pages are missing (though I'm sure some newer NPCs may be unaccounted for), it's that "new" content for a given NPC is missing.

That said, it does have a page for muh boi Doran (speaking of scaly things…), so I can't be too upset.

Reactions: alfabb

riolu4535

Apr 2, 2020
what are the other mods have a page where i can see them or something?

4.10 star(s) 119 Votes