jfmherokiller

May 25, 2020
Ehhh...
Kotlin is just a hyped attempt of 'reject modernity, embrace traditions' by functional programmers in Java world, because "OOP IS BAD, MNKAY!!!!!! FUNCTIONAL PROGRAMMING IS AN ONLY TRUE PROGRAMMING!!!!!111111". You know, same guys who still wages war against C++ and its OOP.
In any case, code quality/correctness and so on solely depends from one and only 'layer of abstraction', located between chair and keyboard. LT is a great example of it. Even with something like Rust it would be buggy crutchy sluggish mallocing mess, if it would be written in same way.

Also according to Scott Meyers, this noname block
View attachment 2052194
Kotlin currently repeats path of a C++ in Java world. Same type/kind of problems, as 'young', from around 90, C++ had.
I dont know about all that I just know giving it a chance isnt a bad idea. sometimes

Reactions: Fikedever

BobCarter

Jan 28, 2018
Yep. Honestly, I can't fault that idea given that it's the dominant OS. It'd be a good way to get things off the ground at the very least.

Another option would be using GitHub Actions (or something like that) to automatically produce cross-platform builds, then just recruiting community members to test them once in a while.

I'd say producing both 32-bit and 64-bit would be best. macOS has been pure 64-bit since High Sierra (~3 years ago), and I know I'm not the only one who doesn't like using multilib in my Linux distros. Neither of those platforms would be able to run 32-bit Wine.
Got it, so just 64-bit windows then? Make a 32 bit option later or have something convert it and let the users figure out how to get it working. After all letting people rely on emulation isn't really that bad these days.

Reactions: Sarkath

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
Got it, so just 64-bit windows then? Make a 32 bit option later or have something convert it and let the users figure out how to get it working. After all letting people rely on emulation isn't really that bad these days.
Yep! Windows x64 is a pretty safe bet these days, and considering how good Wine is nowadays everyone else has a good shot at getting it running.

I think the only people that would have an issue are people with old budget PCs.

Reactions: BobCarter

jfmherokiller

May 25, 2020
the biggest issue i have ever had with wine is on linux mint where i have issues with some windows apps failing to regain focus. this is until i completely restart the app by either using the widow manager x or killing it via cmdline

BobCarter

Jan 28, 2018
the biggest issue i have ever had with wine is on linux mint where i have issues with some windows apps failing to regain focus. this is until i completely restart the app by either using the widow manager x or killing it via cmdline
That's just issues with Linux, all you need to do is go into the source code and code away your issues, maybe if your lucky you can fix it via command line.

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
I dont know about all that I just know giving it a chance isnt a bad idea. sometimes
Kotlin in some cases create more compact/optimized code than 'native' Java, because it avoid usage of objects (in OOP sense). So in case where 'native' Java would create an object (in OOP sense) Kotlin just set there an array, or pair of variables, or etc.

Reactions: jfmherokiller

jfmherokiller

May 25, 2020
btw if there is a good thing i can say about this game its that it does run on my gateway and the ui isnt to crushed at 1280x1024 rez. i wish i was joking here thats my current rig atm

jfmherokiller

May 25, 2020
one thing i will say about the coding that could be some of the cause of the memory thrashing is lines like
Java:
Integer.valueOf(parentElement.getAttribute("sonsMother"))
which have unneeded boxing. if you need to create an object for a single operation that is immedately thrown away it will probably lead to memory thrashing.

also have my adjusted pom which allows for running the game via mvn javafx:run

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
one thing i will say about the coding that could be some of the cause of the memory thrashing is lines like
Java:
Integer.valueOf(parentElement.getAttribute("sonsMother"))
which have unneeded boxing. if you need to create an object for a single operation that is immedately thrown away it will probably lead to memory thrashing.
That's more like a gentle flogging, really. If you have enough NPCs in the world the game has a tendency to create and trash several very large and expensive lists between turns.

A few things have been improved since I last did any profiling, but I remember clocking it at over 48GB of allocations during a few minutes of gameplay (obviously not all at once, but the GC had to collect like mad to keep the game running with an 8GB heap size).

jfmherokiller

May 25, 2020
That's more like a gentle flogging, really. If you have enough NPCs in the world the game has a tendency to create and trash several very large and expensive lists between turns.

A few things have been improved since I last did any profiling, but I remember clocking it at over 48GB of allocations during a few minutes of gameplay (obviously not all at once, but the GC had to collect like mad to keep the game running with an 8GB heap size).
well for me atm it almost shits the bed constantly because I guess I am on linux and the javafx-webview throws enough nullptrs to make using the menus with a mouse almost impossible.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
well for me atm it almost shits the bed constantly because I guess I am on linux and the javafx-webview throws enough nullptrs to make using the menus with a mouse almost impossible.
Weird…I've generally had good luck getting it to run under Linux. I run Arch (btw) and have had success with just about everything from Java 11-17. I wonder if you're missing a dependency.

jfmherokiller

May 25, 2020
Weird…I've generally had good luck getting it to run under Linux. I run Arch (btw) and have had success with just about everything from Java 11-17. I wonder if you're missing a dependency.
well i will admit this was the version i compiled myself using the pom i provided on kde neon on my T480 which besides my gateway is the only good pc i have atm.

NajaNaga

Jan 28, 2021
is there any image packs or image mods to this game?
Given how dangerous it already is to have too many npcs in a save, this might be risky. You're probably safer just picking your own art for the few RNG NPCs you choose to keep around long-term.

NinjaNoto

Apr 30, 2019
On Discord, there's an art pack made by Stickface.
The art style is very vanilla friendly and IMO in vein with the works of Jam (one of the official artists), however, last time I checked it hasn't been updated in a while so the new region may not have any new portraits.
thanks

Mal3

Jan 31, 2019
Anybody having issues starting the game? No matter what version I try I can't get past the main menu. Trying the change the settings and messing with all the other buttons there works but hitting "New Game" just freezes it. I've tried reinstalling it and just letting it run to see if it's just a long load time but that didn't fix it.

4.10 star(s) 119 Votes