Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
Anybody having issues starting the game? No matter what version I try I can't get past the main menu. Trying the change the settings and messing with all the other buttons there works but hitting "New Game" just freezes it. I've tried reinstalling it and just letting it run to see if it's just a long load time but that didn't fix it.
You have too old pc/not enough RAM for a game. Yet, it require >8 gigs of ram to work properly, despite being a text only game.

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
How the fuck do you have 2TB of RAM? And how do I get that sort of money?
Imma take a wild guess and assume they're joking.

That said, I've got access to a bunch of servers with that kind of memory. I'd recommend buying a powerball ticket, because the total costs for most of them when new ended up being more expensive than my house.

Reactions: Morrau and Sarkath

Mal3

Jan 31, 2019
You have too old pc/not enough RAM for a game. Yet, it require >8 gigs of ram to work properly, despite being a text only game.
Strange, my laptop has 16GB of RAM. Is there anything that could be preventing the game from accessing it or limiting what it can access?

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
inno said:
Hello again!

Since my last post, I've been working on fixing more bugs, improving the café content in slaver alley (as I got distracted after seeing how bare-bones it was), and getting a few other minor things done. I haven't yet started on getting pull requests merged from github, and as I really wanted to get several of those done for the next release, I'm not going to be able to get the release out tomorrow. Instead, I'll try to get it out to you by the end of this weekend.

Sorry about this small delay, and thank you for your patience! There's nothing major in the works that'll cause any significant delay, so this next public release of v0.4.6 should be out by the end of the weekend, or at the very latest, just a couple of days after that. I'll make another post by the end of the weekend, even if it's not quite ready by then, so I'll see you again then!
I was going to say "another week, another delay", but then I realized that even getting a post every week is pretty unexpected.

Reactions: jfmherokiller

Defterios

May 27, 2020
Strange, my laptop has 16GB of RAM. Is there anything that could be preventing the game from accessing it or limiting what it can access?
On first start up it always hard freezes when you press new game, maybe try waiting for it to clear?

Mal3

Jan 31, 2019
On first start up it always hard freezes when you press new game, maybe try waiting for it to clear?
I've now gotten it to work. The game appears to dislike the fact that I did not allow it internet access. Once the game was allowed to access the internet it started to preform as it should. Not sure what it wanted from the internet but it wanted something.

Defterios

May 27, 2020
I've now gotten it to work. The game appears to dislike the fact that I did not allow it internet access. Once the game was allowed to access the internet it started to preform as it should. Not sure what it wanted from the internet but it wanted something.
Coincidentally the first thing it loads is the update notes from the blog, maybe it was having a stroke unable to pull that.

crash.7ds

Nov 18, 2018
RAM isn't the issue, had a friend running the game on a system sporting 64GB DDR5, Samsung EVO 970, so on and saw the same issues of lag and hangs.

BobCarter

Jan 28, 2018
CPU is likely to matter more, rarely have issues with my Ryzen 7 1700X.

You know till I get a massive slave milker farm.

Side note capturing and training slaves is a much faster but more active way to make money.

Reactions: Sarkath

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
It pretty much comes down to CPU and memory speed. The amount of RAM does make a difference to some extent, but speed is king. I've even noticed a substantial performance difference between running LT on a system with an integrated GPU vs. a dedicated GPU (literally the same PC with and without a dGPU), due to the two components having to share memory bandwidth.

Yes, it really does thrash that badly.

That said, I've unintentionally built save files where there's just no hope of the game performing well, even on a high-end gaming PC, due to *ahem* excessive breeding.

Reactions: BobCarter

Draupnir7

Sep 3, 2020
That said, I've unintentionally built save files where there's just no hope of the game performing well, even on a high-end gaming PC, due to *ahem* excessive breeding.
It'll be fine, just start selling them into slavery. It takes a little longer than just chasing them out of town, but you should get something for your trouble.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
It'll be fine, just start selling them into slavery. It takes a little longer than just chasing them out of town, but you should get something for your trouble.
Oh yeah, I know about the little tricks to reduce the NPC count. I've delved pretty deep into LT's code.

I'm just saying that stuff like that really shouldn't be an issue, especially for a game like this.

Draupnir7

Sep 3, 2020
Oh yeah, I know about the little tricks to reduce the NPC count. I've delved pretty deep into LT's code.

I'm just saying that stuff like that really shouldn't be an issue, especially for a game like this.
Especially not after sale. I know next to nothing about programming, but I guarantee that even my over-long contact list is fucking with everything somehow.

jfmherokiller

May 25, 2020
there really needs to be some kind of configurable limit on the number of npcs/kids/slaves/etc you can have.

Sep 16, 2018
there really needs to be some kind of configurable limit on the number of npcs/kids/slaves/etc you can have.
I've only been able to skim some of Inno's code but iirc isn't it a big part of the issue that the game loads and updates every char every turn, as opposed to say only when the player enters their tile? Like ideally you should be able to quickly load and unload npcs from storage to memory and avoid the overpopulation issue altogether

Reactions: Bootyman

jfmherokiller

May 25, 2020
I've only been able to skim some of Inno's code but iirc isn't it a big part of the issue that the game loads and updates every char every turn, as opposed to say only when the player enters their tile? Like ideally you should be able to quickly load and unload npcs from storage to memory and avoid the overpopulation issue altogether
well i was thinking something like how the sims 4 has a limit of i think 200 sims total. and once you reach that limit noone can get pregnant and such. however for liliths throne the enemy npcs would run out of town after attacking you

4.10 star(s) 119 Votes