Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
Now if someone were to come along and take on that daunting task, then maybe we could see something feasible for more in-depth modding.
I looked at it a while back and noped out pretty quick. Last time I checked everything is so jankily interconnected that even seemingly minor refactors can turn into a big project, and I can't imagine it changed too much since then.

I kinda feel like it would be easier to make a new LT-compatible engine (and that actually be preferable from a licensing standpoint, because the current terms are bad) than to fix the original.

jfmherokiller

May 25, 2020
The code is a haphazard mess that Inno never actually fixed. They just kept building on top of their old garbage code, burying it in more garbage. Now that they're at a point where the understand Java better and could make a less messy base... they've already buried it in more code to the point a full rewrite of the game would likely be required to avoid breaking basically anything. Now if someone were to come along and take on that daunting task, then maybe we could see something feasible for more in-depth modding.

Even if it contains content you might find distasteful, I'd suggest at least checking out the other version located in EmDotRand's signature.
You can turn all of the unwanted stuff off without much hassle.
for some the mere fact that that content exists at all puts them at giant legal risk if its found by a bad actor. If they provided a regionized/legalized version of the game where such content was removed at the compilation stage and could not be accessed at all because it doesn't exist on disk to begin with then I would give them a chance.

Reactions: panaeon

GammaXai

Oct 5, 2018
I see someone here is still an optimist.
Not really, I was trying to make a joke on her being dead and that if my memory is holding she did something similar in the past where she pretended she hadn't missed multiple written scheduled milestones and that was instead bringing an extra unscheduled update for 'insert holiday here'.

• Wow
Reactions: panaeon

quanticnoob

Jul 25, 2018
Make the entire thing in Assembly so it runs equally as well in a futuretech quantum supercomputer as a Venezuelan cardboard box with hopes and dreams.
I imagine most here might already know this fun tidbit, but Rollercoaster Tycoon was coded in Assembly with a smidge of C. It's the reason that game ran so well at the time, and it meant the developer didn't have to pay much in the way of licensing fees.

panaeon

Feb 3, 2023
The code is a haphazard mess that Inno never actually fixed. They just kept building on top of their old garbage code, burying it in more garbage. Now that they're at a point where the understand Java better and could make a less messy base... they've already buried it in more code to the point a full rewrite of the game would likely be required to avoid breaking basically anything. Now if someone were to come along and take on that daunting task, then maybe we could see something feasible for more in-depth modding.

Even if it contains content you might find distasteful, I'd suggest at least checking out the other version located in EmDotRand's signature.
You can turn all of the unwanted stuff off without much hassle.
Well, I was trying to get the 0.4.9 Version of LT running on Linux - it's such a pain in the booty, I can say!:FacePalm::cautious:
I'll try this "Fork" of LT - LoLT I'd call it - and see if that works better with Standard-JRE on Linux - or if it needs the Temurin JDK, too (if anyone already tried this, please let me know).

Yet, if this version turns out to actually run on Linux Distros without as much of a hassle as the original LT, I think Inno might need to change something in her rigid-minded development process or licensing (make it OpenSource entirely so other devs can contribute and mod whatever they want maybe?)

Also: Isn't "Fort of Chains" also similarly "flexible" as this Game, yet a Browser Game? I knew it reminded me of some Game - and I think that's pretty much it. Yet, FoC got a little too complex quickly after playing it quite a while. It's really nice stories and quests/missions, too, but it was getting more (stressful) "micro-managing-work" than pleasant enjoyment at some point.

Since I only got so far with LT, I can't really say how it is with this Game yet - so far I like the progression pretty well since it's not as overwhelming as FoC was for me...

So, I'll check whether or not LoLT runs natively on (in my case Arch-based) Linux and if so, I'll really celebrate it and smack Inno's booty with the fact, that her rigidity costs her Game players (even though I somewhat doubt she'd care since most folks are still using Windows sadly - which might change when Windows gets more and more intrusive privacy-wise and Linux keeps getting more and more user-friendly [see Steamdeck and other Linux-based Handhelds for reference]).

Cheers and thanks so much again for mentioning this "fork" of the Game basically - it sounds from what you're writing, that the dev of that somewhat "updated the Code" to be compatible with more recent versions of Java...did I get that right?
- I mean, I'm using it with the most recent Temurin Java Development Kit and it works like a charm on Windows at least - not sure if I can get it to run on my Arch-based Linux Distro yet, since someone on the LT Discord Tech Support told me, that the Linux-JDKs don't come with JavaFX, which is obviously needed to play the .jar-Version there.

EmDotRand

Sep 7, 2020
Well, I was trying to get the 0.4.9 Version of LT running on Linux - it's such a pain in the booty, I can say!:FacePalm::cautious:
I'll try this "Fork" of LT - LoLT I'd call it - and see if that works better with Standard-JRE on Linux - or if it needs the Temurin JDK, too (if anyone already tried this, please let me know).

Yet, if this version turns out to actually run on Linux Distros without as much of a hassle as the original LT, I think Inno might need to change something in her rigid-minded development process or licensing (make it OpenSource entirely so other devs can contribute and mod whatever they want maybe?)

Also: Isn't "Fort of Chains" also similarly "flexible" as this Game, yet a Browser Game? I knew it reminded me of some Game - and I think that's pretty much it. Yet, FoC got a little too complex quickly after playing it quite a while. It's really nice stories and quests/missions, too, but it was getting more (stressful) "micro-managing-work" than pleasant enjoyment at some point.

Since I only got so far with LT, I can't really say how it is with this Game yet - so far I like the progression pretty well since it's not as overwhelming as FoC was for me...

So, I'll check whether or not LoLT runs natively on (in my case Arch-based) Linux and if so, I'll really celebrate it and smack Inno's booty with the fact, that her rigidity costs her Game players (even though I somewhat doubt she'd care since most folks are still using Windows sadly - which might change when Windows gets more and more intrusive privacy-wise and Linux keeps getting more and more user-friendly [see Steamdeck and other Linux-based Handhelds for reference]).

Cheers and thanks so much again for mentioning this "fork" of the Game basically - it sounds from what you're writing, that the dev of that somewhat "updated the Code" to be compatible with more recent versions of Java...did I get that right?
- I mean, I'm using it with the most recent Temurin Java Development Kit and it works like a charm on Windows at least - not sure if I can get it to run on my Arch-based Linux Distro yet, since someone on the LT Discord Tech Support told me, that the Linux-JDKs don't come with JavaFX, which is obviously needed to play the .jar-Version there.
Greetings fellow arch user :D LoLT's linux version just uses openjdk instead of Oracle's java. A while back I documented how I got vanilla LT working. Hasn't changed much: jre17-openjdk and java17-openjfx to run the game, java17-openjdk and maven to build all versions of the game.

Skooky

Nov 3, 2021
I imagine most here might already know this fun tidbit, but Rollercoaster Tycoon was coded in Assembly with a smidge of C. It's the reason that game ran so well at the time, and it meant the developer didn't have to pay much in the way of licensing fees.
Someone should totally make an AI whose only purpose is to grab code and just rewrite it in straight up machine code (and vice-versa) so every program is just stupidly well optimized.

Dec 26, 2018
seriously tho I do hope that if the game is dropped by inno it is picked up by a community 1/100th the size of the skyrim one. because even tho this engine has many bad choices in its development, the base framework for a good game is there. That or i am smoking some serious copium lol.
I think the framework isn't ideal to be quite honest. From what I've gathered from the forums the game is logging a bunch of characters and stats that have no impact on the immediate scene and they don't do anything in the background either. So the game is bogged down by all this.
Plus, the game is extremely "wide" and not so "deep", and it seems part of the problem with the lack of depth is because there are so many systems interacting with each other that some can be borked if one thing gets changed.
I will say the sex system in this game is actually pretty impressive, it gives a wide variety of actions without being as tedious as say Degrees of Lewdity.

4.10 star(s) 119 Votes