LonerPrime

Apr 9, 2018
I have a hard time grasping what Jo's deal is to be honest. Mostly because I feel PG hasn't really given us enough info about her yet to actually make an informed opinion. She comes off as a bestie who cares for Lisa and her relationship with Danny to the point that she berates her for not coming clean with Calvin. So far so good. But then she is fucking the teacher and then later that guy who just went through a break up. And then you find her next teasing Gina to the point that some might even consider it borderline bullying. It's all a bit conflicting as to what's going in that bag filled with cats, she calls a brain.

At this point I feel like Gina is a more open character. Dense, very bad at making character judgements, addicted to the idea of getting her brains railed out by any hung Tom, Dick or Jerry. And still, she is caring, pretty quick to befriend and overall a more "you get what you see" character.

Current as it stands, I would take Gina over Jo any day of the week. But hey, who knows? New lore and backstory might actually change my opinion down the line.

Last edited:

TheLecher

Nov 21, 2018
After playing to current update, I hate Jo. I don't know why but she rubs me the wrong way, two faced and hypocrite with banging the teacher. Man I don't like her, Gina at least is more friendly and open but Jo I feel like would stab you in the back if you said something mean.
What's two faced or hypocritical about her? And what does her blowing the teacher have to do with it?

She comes off as a bestie who cares for Lisa and her relationship with Danny to the point that she berates her for not coming clean with Calvin. So far so good. But then she is fucking the teacher and then later that guy who just went through a break up. And then you find her next, she is teasing Gina to the point that some might even consider it borderline bullying.

Again, how does Jo blowing the teacher or fucking Gunnar reflect on her friendships with Lisa and Danny?

As for her teasing Gina, some friends hassle each other. Granted, that's more common behavior in male friend groups than female groups, but it's far from unknown behavior among female friends.

Reactions: Skorm007

LonerPrime

Apr 9, 2018
Again, how does Jo blowing the teacher or fucking Gunnar reflect on her friendships with Lisa and Danny?

As for her teasing Gina, some friends hassle each other. Granted, that's more common behavior in male friend groups than female groups, but it's far from unknown behavior among female friends.
[/ispoiler]
I believe you are a bit mistaken regarding my take on Jo and Gina. I was neither agreeing or disagreeing with ZeroxAlpha's opinion. In-fact I was doing a character breakdown and trying to make heads or tails about these characters rather than like or dislike them just based on first impressions. Like in case of Jo, there is just not enough data to actually make a reliable personality assessment of what actually makes her tick. On one hand she cares way too much about some things, but then on the other hand she jumps to the opposite spectrum of "consequences be damned" recklessness.

Her behavior isn't unbelievably alien, but the whys and whats of it is still a mystery. In-short, I don't have any negative sentiments about these characters- just curious about what makes them... them. And right now it seems, I've far more understanding about Gina's quirky nature than Jo's cryptic behavior.

TheLecher

Nov 21, 2018
I believe you are a bit mistaken regarding my take on Jo and Gina. I was neither agreeing or disagreeing with ZeroxAlpha's opinion. In-fact I was doing a character breakdown and trying to make heads or tails about these characters rather than like or dislike them just based on first impressions. Like in case of Jo, there is just not enough data to actually make a reliable personality assessment of what actually makes her tick. On one hand she cares way too much about some things, but then on the other hand she jumps to the opposite spectrum of "consequences be damned" recklessness.

Her behavior isn't unbelievably alien, but the whys and whats of it is still a mystery. In-short, I don't have any negative sentiments about these characters- just curious about what makes them... them. And right now it seems, I've far more understanding about Gina's quirky nature than Jo's cryptic behavior.
You made a connection between Jo's attitude toward Lisa and Danny and her sexual exploits. The connection is formed in your post by the words "but then." You say that she cares so much about Lisa's relationship with Danny, "but then" she has sex with the swim instructor and Gunnar. I'm trying to understand what connection you see between these two things, and why you think that this behavior is cryptic or hard to understand, because it seems quite simple and straightforward to me.

This latest post of yours does provide some clarity. You explain that Jo "cares way too much" about some things, presumably meaning Lisa and Danny's relationship. You then describe her sexual conduct as "consequences be damned recklessness." However, this clarification leaves me with more questions. First, since we are given to understand that Jo and Lisa have been best friends for years, and we are also told that Jo has been close friends with Danny since before Lisa and Danny got together, why should it be "caring way too much" for her to be concerned about their relationship? Is it not normal to care about the relationships of the people who are closest to you? Second, what is cryptic or hard to understand about a young woman in a modern story who takes a casual attitude toward sex? Western civilization is currently full of young women who treat sex casually, provided they are not in a relationship. Jo is not in a relationship, and Lisa is, with one of Jo's other best friends. So it makes sense to me that Jo would not want Lisa to cheat on Danny, but still would engage in casual sex herself.

LonerPrime

Apr 9, 2018
Heh, I don't know if it's the phrasing or simply nuance lost due to opinion being transmitted via text, but you seem to be reading too much into my observation. By "But then" I only implied that her character is a mix of opposites. Contrary to what you are under the impression, there was no judgement applied. Simply curiosity if her personality is a product of who she is innately or are their deeper circumstances that led to her current persona.
You then describe her sexual conduct as "consequences be damned recklessness."
Correction here, I never made this observation in the context of her sexcapades. I was in-fact referring to her thoughtless jumpy behavior that literally ended with Calvin getting pushed into a ditch nearly costing him his life. I mean if it hadn't been for others around, she had nil idea about what she had done and would have continued running around like an oblivious chicken. In short, I'm actually evaluating her entire personality, not just her sexual history.

Honestly, I really do not want to hijack the thread discussing a side character's history because only PG knows what her deal is. It might just be me who is reading too much into her and, just like you said, she is simply who she is. But it would be remiss of me to not admit that her having a history would actually make her a more interesting character than a forgettable one. But all that remains to be seen.. or not.

Last edited:
4.30 star(s) 113 Votes