Bitter Strawman

Game Developer
Feb 7, 2019
I mean they said that they were taking a break, and there have been some games without updates form over a year so we can still hope for something, however unlikely it may be.
Yeah, I had no rig to render. That is true today. RTX3070 rig costs up to $3000. I just can't afford that. Not in these times.

Hypothetical

Jan 26, 2018
Still pretty pricey, but you can get a prebuild from NZXT (letsbld dot com) with a 3070 for a little over $2k. It's supposedly about a 1-month lead time, though. Or an Alienware Aurora with a 3070 for a bit under $2200. Prebuilds are unfortunately one of the only ways these days to get a GPU at a reasonable price.

Reactions: Bitter Strawman

Slappy Kinkaid

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2018
Just throwing it out there Bitter Strawman, another alternative could be building your rig similar to a GPU crypto mining rig, Get some PCIe expansion cards & you can arrange 2 to 4 lower end GPUs in SLI to, together, give you the same performance as a higher end one. So if you're able to get, say... some 4 GB 1050 Ti cards for around $100 each, you could have a workable rig with only $200 to $400 spent on the GPU. Just for what it's worth.

Bitter Strawman

Game Developer
Feb 7, 2019
Just throwing it out there Bitter Strawman, another alternative could be building your rig similar to a GPU crypto mining rig, Get some PCIe expansion cards & you can arrange 2 to 4 lower end GPUs in SLI to, together, give you the same performance as a higher end one. So if you're able to get, say... some 4 GB 1050 Ti cards for around $100 each, you could have a workable rig with only $200 to $400 spent on the GPU. Just for what it's worth.
Nope. VRAM doesn't stack. 4 gigs is not enough. 8 gig VRAM is entry level for rendering.

Slappy Kinkaid

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2018
Nope. VRAM doesn't stack. 4 gigs is not enough. 8 gig VRAM is entry level for rendering.
OOf that's rough. Hmm.... Maybe an 8 gig Quatro card? Those are pretty cheap & are pretty much designed for Graphic editing / CAD work, they just suck for gaming.

4.30 star(s) 13 Votes