Unity LOK: Rebirth [v0.1.8.0 Test] [The Tribe Devs]

1.60 star(s) 24 Votes

DoorFive

Dec 3, 2019
The yarns you spin are always easy to digest. so I thank you for that.
For the party, that's still something that's a future development. It's very possible that in friendly zones, your party goes off and does their own thing and you can interact with them like other NPCs. It's also possibly they'll play puppydog behind you the whole time. We haven't yet gotten to the party functionality in friendly zones yet, so any suggestions are always welcome.
I'm reminded of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Your party members sort of...absorb into you and disappear, then pop out of Mario when it's their time to act/talk.
There was even a bit where everyone paused before "disappearing" into Mario, like, 'hold on, is there anything else?' then proceeded to merge with him. It's a little strange, but I think something odd wouldn't really work here as the comicalness of it will clash with the more serious art style.

arimouse

Mar 11, 2018
Well, I guess the main issue of how things went with the old fans is that they failed to communicate THAT exactly. Maybe now they're doing it, but 2+1/2 years back it wasn't the case, when all patrons were supporting the old version focused on sex and corruption.

I love this analogy, lol, but I think Chopo meant what I've described up there: not being clear enough with their intentions from Day 1 of the "new era", you know.

At the end of all this drama, because I'm finally considering this episode of my life finished and letting it go, my conclusion is that they weren't honest. Honest with themselves, mainly. Or just ignorant, idk.

I don't think they lied when they told people their game would be made in much less time, it would have the same content as mine, and have many more features. I really don't. But their failure in correctly estimating what they were promising was the stuff of legends.

And half of the reasons why I was so mad at them (the other half was smashing my livelihood, you know...) is that they never admitted their main goal was to depart from my sex-content-focused game and do their RPG tribute with so many mainstream mechanics and features that sex wouldn't possibly be implemented as well, if not as they're doing now...: full-screen CGs.

I mean, rigging models and make sex animations is one thing. It's another one entirely making those models looks as if they're actually having sex, because of the render separator hell. From my PoV, I wouldn't consider viable what I'm doing in Pizza Hot, unless the animator and the coder worked in the same building, and preferably next to each other. Which is not their case, so development time explodes.

And now that both versions are so different in their vision and focus... well, it's a shame they didn't had the idea of opening another Patreon instead of taking over the existing one. Because now, nobody gets what they wanted.
I understand.. so basically a "bait and switch" sort of explanation. :)

So I'm saying it like it is, for better or worse. Some people are going to like it some may not. I've been ensuring that the message the team puts out is VERY CLEAR on the direction of the game as best it can be.

I know that the direction they want to go in is a vast RPG experience ala KotOR, complete with drama, combat, and all the non-sexual fixings that comprise a pretty run-of-the-mill JRPG we all know and love and are familiar with. Super pilot girl gets shot down on a planet, learns the planet is super creepy, goes on a quest to save the planet and herself and meets buddies along the way, has options for good/evil stuff along the way and ultimately probably saves the day or makes it worse.

Along the way there's your JRPG combat. Pick your weapons, armor, magic, and kill the baddies. Do your level up stuff, etc etc etc.

But along with that, a major priority is also ensuring there's lots of sexy content as well. So yes, the main story itself can be SFW, but it will still have some NSFW sections that don't fade to black if you're not in SFW mode.

Additionally to ensure that the NSFW content pipeline stays firmly engorged and rigid, we're looking at "jobs". Jobs are basically mini-stories except they're about doing something dirty. This is where your prostitution-type events and bar-maid abuse-type events come into play. Every major section will have plenty of these sort of side-quest things that you can do and engage with. They are just as high a priority as the main story stuff.

Along the way, scope is being monitored, suggestions are weighed, options are put through the wringer to determine their feasibility. Nobody is just "firing off into the sky" to try to build random and disconnected pieces. Nobody is doing work for the sake of doing work nobody knows how to implement.

The roadmap that's on Patreon now is the real roadmap the team wants to do. Hopefully nobody will feel like they aren't geting what they expect from the team here. I'm doing my best to provide no-bullshit explanations. :)

If it's not your cup of tea... vote 0 and move on. Maybe leave a post about how it depressed you and ruined your day. :)

My honest opinion on if they should have opened a new Patreon after changing gears after 0.8 is a big "probably!" But at the same time this is effectively the THIRD iteration of this game from that Patreon:
1. 0.8
2. The 3D Thing
3. What is is now

At this point, anybody who is a patron is aware that sometimes the game makes sweeping changes, for better or worse. So really that's kind of the M.O. for it. Hopefully this version will be the version that grows; but you never know. Life happens, people change, wants can be different. :)

I will say that a lot of "seat of the pants development" is going away. No idea is just "oh dear lets do that now too!!" and people go off and start some random piece of functionality. We're in a condition of justifying the reason for an idea, how it will function, it's ramifications across the game, and then very explicit definition for exactly what that new piece of functionality is going to do. This has been a big pill to swallow, since a lot of grand ideas have become maybe a bit less grand- but they're actionable and understood by the whole team. So I'm super hopefully that this version is going to be the version the team sticks with to completion for the rest of the project. :)

Last edited:

arimouse

Mar 11, 2018
The yarns you spin are always easy to digest. so I thank you for that.

I'm reminded of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Your party members sort of...absorb into you and disappear, then pop out of Mario when it's their time to act/talk.
There was even a bit where everyone paused before "disappearing" into Mario, like, 'hold on, is there anything else?' then proceeded to merge with him. It's a little strange, but I think something odd wouldn't really work here as the comicalness of it will clash with the more serious art style.
Glad to help. :)

So if you noticed in the last tech release, there's slots for other characters. I believe the goal is that 2 characters will travel with you if you want, and there will eventually be a player camp where you can change up your party.

You should also be able to switch between characters. I don't believe you'll be able to interact with anybody as another character (like you can't possess Lizard Guy and then go fuck the world as him- maybe).

A lot of that is for combat, where you'll be able to switch between your dudes and queue up their actions they'll do, or whatever you want, in order to win some combat situation. In friendly zones, you'll probably control your Main Character.

Oh- there also may be some dungeon puzzles that require character switching. Like some of those super cool "stand on the two/three different platform simultaneously to open the door" sorts of things. :)

Given the game is trying to be "cartoon-realistic", I'd probably not expect your party members to enter your body in non-combat zones. They'll probably be there; but maybe just non-corporal so you can move through them if they like, block a door or something, and they just look cute on the map but don't really have much of an impact outside of the visual appeal of having a party with you.

Party functionality is still very much TBD, with a lot of these mechanics going to be worked out once we get to sections where party members actually are part of the game. This likely won't be until some time after the next visit back to the Razorclaw village after the space ship tutorial segment.

Thanks for your input too! <3

Nixoncr

Apr 11, 2018
Whenever I get news about this game, there are tons after tons of paragraphs defending the game or criticizing it;

it's boring just trying to read them .

• Haha
Reactions: Xailaeriel

asdf9000

Dec 2, 2019
From just reading the last few pages, i feel like this game team actually knows somewhat of what they are doing. Though its not heading in a direction i would of liked for it being a LOK game, atleast it seams they have gotten it straightened out a bit.

Staning

Oct 14, 2021
I understand the “stigma” that accompanies people here. **But** it’s important that the team has honest feedback. The Discord is going to be overwhelmingly positive. Which is useful for morale. But I find this will lead to further hugboxing. And simply put, I personally believe that was a major issue with this project. IMHO Ariadne has addressed this within the team. And it should also be addressed outside the team. A lot of people were telling others good job when they never meant it.

Sure I don’t agree with everything Chopolander said. But I believe it makes things better. And I’m gonna stick to that until I’m proven wrong. And then probably stick to it anyway. XD

All in all i would go from 1 Star to 2 Stars, if my rights to review werent stripped off from me after stating the same as someone else, but well. Lets see how long it will take to get the next release.
That’s good to hear. And that’s the ultimate question. How does the follow up go? As I’ve been saying for over a month now. It’s going to be/has been an interesting January.

chopolander

Dec 9, 2018
F95Zone is full for them of people who say things they don't like for the mere fact that everything they do is good and everything that dares to refute it is bad; even with 3D, a reality with which, curiously enough, they later encountered.

It is not the only game that receives either praise or criticism, but I guess they turn a deaf ear to the latter and prefer to keep on designing snakes with two carrots.

Last edited:

Staning

Oct 14, 2021
It is not the only game that receives either praise or criticism, but I guess they turn a deaf ear to the latter and prefer to keep on designing snakes with two carrots.
Thank goodness they haven’t designed a snake since 2019 ;). So the feedback must be landing somewhere. Haha

I generally agree Sharun. But I will say, I do lose your point at stages. Granted that is likely due to my reading comprehension level.

chopolander

Dec 9, 2018
Thank goodness they haven’t designed a snake since 2019 ;). So the feedback must be landing somewhere. Haha
Clearly that sentence was an irony. But, hey, I'm sure the bit about the snake being a bad idea was said to him by one of his supporters, rather than having read it in one of the comments made here. The latter is also an irony. :giggle:

How bad we must be, yes.

Sharun

Jun 29, 2017
I generally agree Sharun. But I will say, I do lose your point at stages. Granted that is likely due to my reading comprehension level.
Dont bother, im a medical herb destroyer and i translate german sentences to english without any regards for grammar or ' or a dictionary, and i will only start with them when the english world knows the value of ä,ö and ü

Reactions: Staning

dvalkyrie

May 20, 2020
Clearly that sentence was an irony. But, hey, I'm sure the bit about the snake being a bad idea was said to him by one of his supporters, rather than having read it in one of the comments made here. The latter is also an irony. :giggle:

How bad we must be, yes.
The problem will be the carrot?

killing-bites-0628.jpg

BlackStars

Sep 6, 2017
First sorry for my bad English I'm normally just a silent reader and lurker in this forum but i need to get this off my chest as someone who loved all Krystal parts except for this new "stuff" wandering astray from what this game should be.

I don't really get how we can have 97 pages for a simple solution if you want to make money with LOK just fucking make a sidescroller like the original if possible with good Animations and different parts to play Krystal as Slave, Corruption, Virgin whatever. Most people just want a LOK like the very first one in better, or just Krystal getting fucked by 3 Lizards in a gangbang.

No one needs this wannabe fancy over polished ambitious bullshit it's about Krystal getting fucked god-damn not another Star Fox adventure, if you want to build something like that go program this shit for Nintendo.

Sorry for the harsh words, but it can't be so difficult to give the people what they want.

Kunt

May 6, 2018
First sorry for my bad English I'm normally just a silent reader and lurker in this forum but i need to get this off my chest as someone who loved all Krystal parts except for this new "stuff" wandering astray from what this game should be.

I don't really get how we can have 97 pages for a simple solution if you want to make money with LOK just fucking make a sidescroller like the original if possible with good Animations and different parts to play Krystal as Slave, Corruption, Virgin whatever. Most people just want a LOK like the very first one in better, or just Krystal getting fucked by 3 Lizards in a gangbang.

No one needs this wannabe fancy over polished ambitious bullshit it's about Krystal getting fucked god-damn not another Star Fox adventure, if you want to build something like that go program this shit for Nintendo.

Sorry for the harsh words, but it can't be so difficult to give the people what they want.
I wonder if they'll get sued by Nintendo, now thta you mention the company.
On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that after all of this years there isn't another group of people doing exactly what you are saying. The original concept, but new and better looking. It's like free money out there for the taking so it's weird that noone is doing it. Is it because they fear getting sued? I've got no clue quite honestly.

Grimoirre

Jul 18, 2017
From what I'm getting, the main problem here is the disconnect between expectations. Abel's version set the precedence that this LOK would prioritize slow corruption and character development through said system, which brought about the fanbase it has now.

With Abel's version scrapped and the new devs heading the helm, most of the current fanbase still think that they're getting the version Abel created that drew them into the concept of the game in the first place, unaware that the new devs intent to make the game more akin to an RPG with indepth systems and sex on the side rather than it being the main attraction.

Basically, the new devs know what game they want to make, it's just not the game some of us want anymore.

whatever4096

Mar 23, 2018

First, your English is better than a lot of native speakers. Second, your complaints are basically what everyone has been saying. They're being overly ambitious. Too much game, not enough sex.

Reactions: catmemejpg

Phanatic

Jan 29, 2019
I wonder if they'll get sued by Nintendo, now thta you mention the company.
On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that after all of this years there isn't another group of people doing exactly what you are saying. The original concept, but new and better looking. It's like free money out there for the taking so it's weird that noone is doing it. Is it because they fear getting sued? I've got no clue quite honestly.
It's a very interesting question actually, on which I keep thinking from time-to-time. Me and my current programmer with whom we are currently making a game have discussed the opportunity to maby develop a Krystal game instead of our original setting, but we ended up doing our own thing anyway.
It's an amalgamation of various factors that stops developers before they even start, rather than only 1 specific reason.
Let's take me as an example and go through the points and thoughts of why starting a LOK game would be complicated.

Am I enough? What would be the course of action for somebody from my position?
First things first - you require 2 main people to develop a game - an artist and a programmer. If you're unlucky and you can't programm 100% of your ides while also drawing them from scratch, you will have to find a 2nd person as minimum who will be able to deal with either coding or drawing. This sole thing is already a stopping point in your journey, because not so many people will be ready to make a hentai game their main paybill resource. Why? Because of several reasons.
1 - patreon or any other crowdfunding platform is not a 100% viable option out of the blue, you will be able to work with it only if you already have an audience that is ready to support you or if you have god-level marketing skills to make people know about your game and you can make them interested in supporting it and even if you are and your skills are sky-high, it's not a 100% set in stone that you will find sucess right from the start, which means that your financial status will be under a question for quite some time while your following is growing. If you are about 20 y.o. you could more or less deal with it while living with parents and working on such a game for the future, but if you are 26+, you live alone, you need to pay your bills, you might have a gf/bf/ a kid or two, then suddenly you are out of options, you just can't allow yourself to NOT get paid.
2 - if the project fails, you wont be able to use whatever you came up with for your portfolio, because in serious companies when giving your CV and saying that you worked on a hentai game, it will lower your chances to be hired, because people in companies don't take NSFW positively. At the very least HRs won't let it pass in 9/10 occasions.
3 - game design differences. I tried once coming up with a game with my brother who is a really good programmer, but he wanted a quick-shoot-no-brain platformer, while I wanted to have a DragonAge:Origins-style of slasher with platfroming parts. And since I was the one who was doing game documentation and he wanted none of it, I felt like we could lean on my design more... Nope. He was simply not interested. We stopped working together even before we've done anything at all.

But ok. Let's imagine that you can deal with previous problems in theory and let's see what we have to work with.
I'm for example an artist - I can do both 2d and 3d art without much of hasstle,. I also have experience in game development and I can do game design and documentation, I also have pretty clear visionery skills and I do write my own comics plus Ihave interested myself in writing and story skills for years at this point. I alone can cover a lot of ground for game developing, including even story, dialogues, game design and documentation.
Next step for me would be finding someone who is interested to work with me and MY ideas to make them a reality. Let's say that I accidentally find such a person... Is their skills enough? In order to create a game with a programmer who is not you yourself, you need to understand their personality and skills - can they work on the project full time? Are they lazy? Do they have enough experience with the game engine? Will they be able to execute your ideas via coding? If not, will they be able to learn how to do it in an acceptable amount of time? Are they open to the opportunity of hiring more than 1 programmer in the future? Have they worked with others already? What is their cooperation skills and will it be a hindrance to the project an to the team?
Let's say a person passes all of those and voila - You have 2 people ready to work on the game. Great!
I hope one of you is ready to pay full time to another one, because if not, you better stop at once, since creating a complex game while working on it 2 or 3 hours a day max after work while being tired is simply noncense.

Our next problem comes with the IP. Is Krystal safe to do? Absolutely not. It's an already existing IP that some megacorporation owns - there are really high chances for your game to be taken down at some point if it somehow close to their concept. Even if it isn't, the very fact that they have money to get you into the court might simply shut you down, because you will not have money to defend yourself even if you worked over your designs and story to be way different from the original. Long story short, working on the game that has concepts from other IP will always put your project into the dangerzone.
Let's say that you're ok with that and you decide to work further by changing as maximum stuff from the game as possible to not represent the original concept. That will hinder your marketing and some portion of pottential supporters will fall off.
But let's say that this is not a problem for you.

Thus: you are an artist, you've found yourslef a viable programmer, you're somehow payed, all of the previous problems have been dealt with one way or another or you have accepted them and you will work through them. Great! It's time to start working on the game.
Is it time to put it on Patreon? You don't have anything... This is where preproduction stage comes in - you need to create an overall design for the game, write down mechanics, characters, story, imagine how it all will work both from visual criteria, coding set up and so that in the end it all would've worked together as 1 fine clock.
The idea on itself is still not enough though and preproduction requires at the very least some kind of demo (not even a vertical slice, but a working demo with minimal base things working). And you start executing it.
This is where you will find out that 2 people can cover a lot, even all of it, but in exchange for time. 2 people is not a lot and you will simply struggle with the amount of sutff that needs to be executed. Yes, you can deal with tasks and even most complicated tasks from your design is executable, but because you are just 2 people it will take you months to concept it+execute itvisually+code it in+iterate on it+add various things on top+polish it for finalisation.
This is the point where you understand that yes, you can deal with all of the steps, but very simple stuff still requires time to be done... And thus you will have to spend a year or 1,5 years or even two, in order to nail all of the basis for the game in order to put what you have online and get yelled on because game is empty and doesn't have content yet after all of that development time since you have only nailed the needed basis ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Only after doing ALL OF THAT you will be at the point where you have a clear picture of how it works with your partner, whether your game is executable, whether you have enough supporters in order to finance the game development, whether you still have the wish to continue at all, and so on...
Upon that you also have to add real life challenges like personal issues, health problems, your personal ambitions, etc throughout the entire development cycle.

After thinking about all of that you sit there in front of you computer and think to yourself "Maybe continuing drawing commissions online would be better and waaaay more simple after all...".

Staning

Oct 14, 2021
:] and here lies the importance of someone like Arimouse joining the fray. No nonsense, no bullshit, no appeasement for appeasements sake.

This game will not please everyone. Especially if you played .8 first and want more .8. That has, and will always be the reality of this project. I don’t believe that the problem gets solved by just “adding more content”. Which was a mistaken sentiment that led to an 11 month gap between updates (IMHO of course).

And I hope that tone shift remains throughout 2022 and beyond.

Kunt

May 6, 2018
This game will not please everyone. Especially if you played .8 first and want more .8. That has, and will always be the reality of this project.
Has is though? I dont remember people saying after 0.8 got abandoned that it would go in this direction.

1.60 star(s) 24 Votes