Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Strange, you should have 5 + 56 from 56 level ups and + 1 depending on whether you died or won by paying the captain to board the ship for a total of 61-62 trait points. Honestly I have no idea, I already tested just before posting to make sure nothing changed without me knowing.
View attachment 1710776

Nvm, something changed a long time ago and I just forgot. You get up to 5 depending on your total amount of rebirths, up to 98 from levelups and 1 depending on whether you won (paid captain) or not (regardless of how many times you do this)

No amount of trait points in scoutcraft compensates for it imo, mostly because $game_player.actor.scoutcraft_trait only affects visibility when sneaking which I would rather not have to do all the time since it makes you move so slowly.
Ah, I getcha. I guess my next goal is to birth another heir and bribe the captain. I "won" for shits and giggles and got the Spinster achievement for (winning as a virgin and) not having a continue on my Deep One.

Valen_H

Jan 28, 2019
I come back to it after 1 year, i really want to play this game but it's too hard for me, is there any way to remove the perma-death aspect? I can't learn it if I have to start over...

Tektaara

Mar 15, 2021
Game could use a virgin birth mechanism, like artificial insemination or something. Virgin status affects persona and talk style and non-virgins are considered sluts in this game. I like default Lona best, and while it's easy to mod the game to make it lie about personality which is queried via a separate function it's much harder to lie about virgin status because it directly queries the record_intercourse or something and the code's everywhere all over the place.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
I come back to it after 1 year, i really want to play this game but it's too hard for me, is there any way to remove the perma-death aspect? I can't learn it if I have to start over...
If you're playing on Hard, just save often. You get 30 save slots, and there's no restrictions on when you can save. You can save mid-mission, mid-combat, mid-anything.

Edit: Here's a few things that might help you out, assuming you're playing the Hard (default) difficulty:
  1. You get 20 stamina per 10 food while resting, and you should top off resting until you're comfortable with combat.
  2. If you sleep while starving, you lose ~20 HP and gain ~30 stamina. Sleeping with a full belly gives more stamina and healing than half hunger.
  3. Avoid sprinting during combat, unless you're very, very cornered. If you must escape, time your retreats to avoid being attacked from behind, as you'll lose more stamina and sometimes get stunned.
  4. Avoid eating your food unless you're very far from an inn. It's cheaper to buy the key than replace the food, at least early on. An empty or full belly doesn't affect you until you transition from day to night or vice versa.
  5. If you have an empty belly, Inns have the best bang for your buck. A night's stay requires a key, costing 550 Trade Points. You'll want to do some easy jobs and build up some spending money so that you can continue to stay at the inn. Living outside is doable, but rough if you don't know what you're doing.
  6. Grab a companion until you get some levels and/or better gear. Your wooden club, short sword, or pitchfork isn't going to do a whole lot on its own.

Last edited:

Tektaara

Mar 15, 2021
Have you tried not playing on doom while learning the game and loading either your save or the autosave if you die?

Valen_H

Jan 28, 2019
If you're playing on Hard, just save often. You get 30 save slots, and there's no restrictions on when you can save. You can save mid-mission, mid-combat, mid-anything.

Edit: Here's a few things that might help you out, assuming you're playing the Hard (default) difficulty:
  1. You get 20 stamina per 10 food while resting, and you should top off resting until you're comfortable with combat.
  2. If you sleep while starving, you lose ~20 HP and gain ~30 stamina. Sleeping with a full belly gives more stamina and healing than half hunger.
  3. Avoid sprinting during combat, unless you're very, very cornered. If you must escape, time your retreats to avoid being attacked from behind, as you'll lose more stamina and sometimes get stunned.
  4. Avoid eating your food unless you're very far from an inn. It's cheaper to buy the key than replace the food, at least early on. An empty or full belly doesn't affect you until you transition from day to night or vice versa.
  5. If you have an empty belly, Inns have the best bang for your buck. A night's stay requires a key, costing 550 Trade Points. You'll want to do some easy jobs and build up some spending money so that you can continue to stay at the inn. Living outside is doable, but rough if you don't know what you're doing.
  6. Grab a companion until you get some levels and/or better gear. Your wooden club, short sword, or pitchfork isn't going to do a whole lot on its own.
Sir I die by the time I reach the entrance of the Inn... What am I even supposed to load? The sewers save? I can't progress, every step I take she's hungry and crawls...
Why do they even need to beat me so much and outnumber me...

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Sir I die by the time I reach the entrance of the Inn... What am I even supposed to load? The sewers save? I can't progress, every step I take she's hungry and crawls...
Why do they even need to beat me so much and outnumber me...
You can't be running in swinging. I'll try to give you a step-by-step on how to do the sewers.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
P.S. The Heavily ability with the Lantern is only good for killing rats. It's basically useless for everything else, so grind that money and XP. What you should get depends on the build you're going for.

Edit: Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention. You can actually pick up cockroaches and grey mice by standing over them and tapping (spamming, really) your interaction key. They're not valuable on its own, but they can be cooked (requiring either a refugee event or Dark Cauldron skill and a wooden club to consume) for Mystery Meat dishes or sold for small amounts on money. If you do decide to cook them, don't mix them with any other meat. I could explain cooking mechanics in greater detail if needed.

Last edited:

Valen_H

Jan 28, 2019
You can't be running in swinging. I'll try to give you a step-by-step on how to do the sewers.
P.S. The Heavily ability with the Lantern is only good for killing rats. It's basically useless for everything else, so grind that money and XP. What you should get depends on the build you're going for.

Edit: Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention. You can actually pick up cockroaches and grey mice by standing over them and tapping (spamming, really) your interaction key. They're not valuable on its own, but they can be cooked (requiring either a refugee event or Dark Cauldron skill and a wooden club to consume) for Mystery Meat dishes or sold for small amounts on money. If you do decide to cook them, don't mix them with any other meat. I could explain cooking mechanics in greater detail if needed.
Well, when I enter the Inn 2 guys sitting in a corner start a drunk fight and my first mission in the woods gets me assaulted 3 times and consumes more rations than I can buy with the rewards.
I don't know how to cook and always find myself crawling and poorer by the day.

This is legit unplayable, I don't know how other people did a virgin-run but there seems to be more negative mechanics than possitive, you can only walk and sleep and most content is locked behind situations that get you killed halfway in the animations and can only be viewed with cheat engine but you still lose no matter what...

I'd appreciate it if someone made a playability mod (I can mod myself but no time).

Tektaara

Mar 15, 2021
P.S. The Heavily ability with the Lantern is only good for killing rats. It's basically useless for everything else,
Sorry but nope. The lantern's dot has a 10% chance of inflicting a head or chest wound which lower def and sur, same chance as the club only a lantern's (and firewall's) dot will tick 9 or so times over its full duration. Lantern's dot (or its stamina damage component at least) scales off of wisdom, which is easily increased by 5 with the timid personality, by 5 from equipping glasses (relatively cheap item) and by another 5 from equipping a staff (once you get to level 15 and choose to go that route).

Undead tend to have very high health and (relatively) very low stamina (except cocona's summons but after pointing this out the dev almost immediately fixed that by, in case you were worried, (quite strongly) buffing their hp) and very low sur it seems. In other words undead are extremely flammable. A single dot will already spell the inevitable doom for the smaller unarmed skeletons even at level 1 without any extra wisdom whatsoever.

View attachment undead stats.mp4

When I use lightning magic I always have the lantern in an ex slot so that I can swap to it at any time for its ability to dodge in case I fuck up so that I can get away from a dangerous situation while avoiding damage even when slowed down (usually by my own lightning). Dodge works on anything, even lightning which is good since there's no stop on heavy lightning once it's been cast. (Holy shit... Lona can dodge lightning! How's that for just a little girl)
Also it's useful for burning the occasional zombie, except when they're in water which often happens in which case I just go and roast them with lightning for roughly 50% extra damage. (takes some positioning but you get a 3rd damage tick for free)

Btw water tiles or wet tiles (tiles that you can bathe in and sound like how walking in wet socks with shoes on feels like) will immediately douse any fire dots. Water does not prevent dodge and, in spite of what you might expect, lightning damage from water is just as dodgeable as everything else.

"All starting equipment is OP if you know how to use it", or something like that according to what the dev said to me some time ago. But what could he possibly know about this game

Last edited:

Tektaara

Mar 15, 2021
Well, when I enter the Inn 2 guys sitting in a corner start a drunk fight and my first mission in the woods gets me assaulted 3 times and consumes more rations than I can buy with the rewards.

This is legit unplayable, I don't know how other people did a virgin-run but there seems to be more negative mechanics than possitive, you can only walk and sleep and most content is locked behind situations that get you killed halfway in the animations and can only be viewed with cheat engine but you still lose no matter what...

I'd appreciate it if someone made a playability mod (I can mod myself but no time).
Try cheats. Use them as sidewheels while you learn to play, it's what I shamelessly did until I stopped needing to.

Press f10 and enter this
Code:
$game_player.actor.learn_skill(63)
This gives you the debug tool (check your skills in the menu), which is a debug tool and not really a cheat tool but you can easily use it for simple cheating as well.

Btw the debug tool stops time while selecting a target which will stay stopped if you cancel it (ZA WARUDO!!), should this happen by accident just drop a steamroller on the enemy and use the debug tool on something and close the menu. (Soshite toki wa ugokidasu...)

To rebirth your character (new game+ mechanic where you get to keep your level and all your stuff in the bank) just enter one of these 3 lines in f10 (or all 3 if by accident or any other reason it's np) and get a gameover (by dying in any way you like) after which you will be presented with the option(s) depending on which you entered.
Code:
$game_player.actor.record_birth_Human = 1
$game_player.actor.record_birth_Moot = 1
$game_player.actor.record_birth_Deepone = 1
The drill is simple:
1. Just play
2. Get stuck at some point
3. Use cheats to find a new approach
4. Rebirth and go to 1.

At least that's what I would recommend, you can do what you like.

Lastly, assuming you play on hard difficulty of course, good soups are good.

Last edited:

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017

I'm not sure why two dudes are going at it in your game, especially with a new character. Did you try to sleep in the middle of the bar or hit -100 (red) stamina? Either of those would set your weak extremely high, making most male characters attempt to rape Lona. As for missions, the OP has a link to a somewhat outdated guide that's still helpful for most missions. As far as I'm aware, clearing the mines and the undead in the cemetary are probably the most starter-friendly quests. But even then, you are very, very strongly recommended in hiring someone to help you in both. In order to cook, the earliest you can do it without borrowing a cauldron is lv12, spending 10 points in SUR and 1 point in Alchemy.

You don't need to eat every day if you legitimately can't do it. Just avoid burning your hunger for stamina unless absolutely necessary. Exit out of the inn (or wherever) and move 1 space away. Enter it. Go into a secluded spot and just sleep. It'll pass time, drain some hunger (and health, if hunger is too low), but give you some stamina back. The Undead in the Cemetery quest should refresh every day, if I'm remembering right. Do it. You get paid 7 small coins, which is enough for 2 Inn keys, and you only need to sleep in the Inn once to get back pretty much all of your health, top off your stamina, and get most of your hunger bar filled.

The game is not unplayable, my dude. You can find a solution to almost everything in this thread. It takes some getting used to its mechanic, but it's not that hard. Part of it is stamina/hunger management, and the other part is tactics and game mechanics. Like if you're desperate enough, you can do most quests and kill most things with enough rocks and traps and 3 points in SCU. You just can't be trading blows without being sufficiently leveled and geared to do so.

Last edited:

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Sorry but nope. The lantern's dot has a 10% chance of inflicting a head or chest wound which lower def and sur, same chance as the club only a lantern's (and firewall's) dot will tick 9 or so times over its full duration. Lantern's dot (or its stamina damage component at least) scales off of wisdom, which is easily increased by 5 with the timid personality, by 5 from equipping glasses (relatively cheap item) and by another 5 from equipping a staff (once you get to level 15 and choose to go that route).

Undead tend to have very high health and (relatively) very low stamina (except cocona's summons but after pointing this out the dev almost immediately fixed that by, in case you were worried, (quite strongly) buffing their hp) and very low sur it seems. In other words undead are extremely flammable. A single dot will already spell the inevitable doom for the smaller unarmed skeletons even at level 1 without any extra wisdom whatsoever.

View attachment 1710969

When I use lightning magic I always have the lantern in an ex slot so that I can swap to it at any time for its ability to dodge in case I fuck up so that I can get away from a dangerous situation while avoiding damage even when slowed down (usually by my own lightning). Dodge works on anything, even lightning which is good since there's no stop on heavy lightning once it's been cast. (Holy shit... Lona can dodge lightning! How's that for just a little girl)
Also it's useful for burning the occasional zombie, except when they're in water which often happens in which case I just go and roast them with lightning for roughly 50% extra damage. (takes some positioning but you get a 3rd damage tick for free)

Btw water tiles or wet tiles (tiles that you can bathe in and sound like how walking in shoes with wet socks feels like) will immediately douse any fire dots.

All starting equipment is OP if you know how to use it", or something like that according to what the dev said to me some time ago. But what could he possibly know about this game
Yes, the lantern has its uses, but no, it's not something I want to explain to someone who's struggling to murder rats. I don't want to accidentally encourage them into putting points into WIS or grabbing the Timid trait by overselling how "good" the lantern is and how magic scales, because there's no built-in way to reset your points other than rebirthing. A mage might be pleasantly surprised to learn that a lantern counts as a magic weapon, but someone using weapons is going to be disappointed when they find out they can't use a saber or a bow because they took Timid to make their lantern stronger.

Tektaara

Mar 15, 2021
Yes, the lantern has its uses, but no, it's not something I want to explain to someone who's struggling to murder rats. I don't want to accidentally encourage them into putting points into WIS or grabbing the Timid trait by overselling how "good" the lantern is and how magic scales, because there's no built-in way to reset your points other than rebirthing. A mage might be pleasantly surprised to learn that a lantern counts as a magic weapon, but someone using weapons is going to be disappointed when they find out they can't use a saber or a bow because they took Timid to make their lantern stronger.
Try this post, specifically the video at the bottom. That quest is still a tutorial, but rewards 1 gold coin nonetheless, and this is the textbook solution on how to do it. No trait points have been spent on anything, character might as well still be level 1.

I don't want to shit all over the time and effort you've kindly taken to try and help someone out, but this is not merely my opnion on the matter. The dev intentionally made this piece of starting equipment a powerful tool by design, it is simply not useless. While I still haven't seen any videos other than a brief demo of a certain concept, meaning I still have no idea how they do it, there are people who beat this game on doom without ever spending even a single trait point on anything, effectively staying level 1. The dev intentionally made it so that there are many different ways to beat the game, and while level grinding is a legit way that opens up a ton of routes that seem more "powerful" for lack of a better word, the dev will think you suck for having to grind to beat his game. (Last bit is again something he literally said to me at one point)

Again I really don't want to shit all over your time and efforts, but when someone advises not to use the lantern I feel the need to say something about it.

Btw in case you were still wondering drunken bar goers have an especially low threshold for harassing Lona compared to almost every other npc you may encounter. Just having <0 stamina might already raise weak high enough to get harrassed which will quickly escalate to a bar brawl, especially with big mama around.

Last edited:

Valen_H

Jan 28, 2019

I just tried to fight a singled-out goblin in the sewers and it started running around faster than my eyes could see and it hit me from both 4 directions and for every 1 attack of mine to land on it, he hit me like 20 times, after that i collapsed from exhaustion because it didn't die.

Valen_H

Jan 28, 2019
After that, I decided to work as waitress, after 3 drinks 2 people raped me and didnt stop until i was at -100 and then the barkeeper kicked me out.
Also, I've never seen a human needing 5 meat soups to satiate for half a day.
After reloading 5 times and finishing a work, a bar brawl started and she kicked me out without paying me.

Is this playable? Did I do something bad to the developer?
After 15 reloads, it's always a bar brawl when I'm in there.

I underestimated the "kill 20 undeads" missions and I lost 30 foods and my life... Not worth, why would someone recommend this mission to me?!

For the love of god how can I at least disable my items magically disappearing when they drop on the ground?! What's wrong with this game's logic...

How do you escape a gangbang with all directions blocked? Does anyone have a "confident" video for that?

Last edited:

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Try this post, specifically the video at the bottom. That quest is still a tutorial, but rewards 1 gold coin nonetheless, and this is the textbook solution on how to do it. No trait points have been spent on anything, character might as well still be level 1.

I don't want to shit all over the time and effort you've kindly taken to try and help someone out, but this is not merely my opnion on the matter. The dev intentionally made this piece of starting equipment a powerful tool by design, it is simply not useless. While I still haven't seen any videos other than a brief demo of a certain concept, meaning I still have no idea how they do it, there are people who beat this game on doom without ever spending even a single trait point on anything, effectively staying level 1. The dev intentionally made it so that there are many different ways to beat the game, and while level grinding is a legit way that opens up a ton of routes that seem more "powerful" for lack of a better word, the dev will think you suck for having to grind to beat his game. (Last bit is again something he literally said to me at one point)

Again I really don't want to shit all over your time and efforts, but when someone advises not to use the lantern I feel the need to say something about it.

Btw in case you were still wondering drunken bar goers have an especially low threshold for harassing Lona compared to almost every other npc you may encounter. Just having <0 stamina might already raise weak high enough to get harrassed which will quickly escalate to a bar brawl, especially with big mama around.
Fair, but again, not beginner-friendly advice. Like I could talk about exploiting Lona's Weak to make the goblins jerk themselves and give you free hits and how it's a valid combo with the juicing skill, but again, not really beginner friendly and possibly might make them dedicate points into something they don't necessarily want to do their whole playthrough. Also, thanks, I forgotten one of the key things I immediately did after starting a new game: taking off the damn braids. I think without it, Lona can crawl around with negative stam and still be fine.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
I just tried to fight a singled-out goblin in the sewers and it started running around faster than my eyes could see and it hit me from both 4 directions and for every 1 attack of mine to land on it, he hit me like 20 times, after that i collapsed from exhaustion because it didn't die.
That's why you need to specifically cross the bridge and face it, step #16. What that does it force the goblin to only go up and down. If you hit them while they're walking away from you, you hurt them more. Since the pitchfork has a reach of 2 squares, you're much more likely to hit them when they can't move left or right. Like I said before, you can sprint, but do it in taps. You just need to be farther than they can hit. Also, take off the braids when you get to the Inn. They increase Weak and decrease sexy, which might be triggering the bar fights.

My dude, read the guide linked in the op. I know you didn't do it because you didn't do the first thing the guide says. And stop eating your food outside of emergencies. If you're confused about certain advice, don't just ignore it, ask.

Tektaara

Mar 15, 2021
cocona sur.png

A while ago (after all this time) I noticed that Cocona has a pretty high sur, higher than mine even (just by 1 but still) which I intentionally made that high to match my wis while wearing this equipment in order to reduce self damage all the way down to 1. Except for heavy lightning which hits for wis-sur/2 all other lightning hits for 5(wis-sur)/4 which then still has to get multiplied according to the rangemap (1.0 to 0.4 based on distance) but that detail has no further relevance when damage is already reduced down to 1. Basically, as long as I'm careful not to hit her with heavy lightning, which seems doable as she's a ranged spellcaster, it should be "safe" to take her with me even if I ended up having to roast her and her minions along with the enemy and even myself as an emergency measure or otherwise.

Before even getting to leave Noer that idea was put to the test thanks to a bandit encounter with red stamina, not an uncommon occurrence with an overweight inventory... While the idea still worried me the outcome was as expected, or at least the part where Cocona is mostly unhurt by my magic was as expected. I hadn't quite realised yet how low her defense is. The only delay from the start of the encounter (no hide) before going full pikachu was a single rest (rest is modded to consume more food), but in that brief period Cocona's life and stamina was brought down from 170/130 to 104/37 and lightning couldn't have had anything to do with the stamina as it only does life damage. Ouch...

I'm clearly noticing my lack of experience with companions, unsurprisingly as it is more or less a first for me trying to actually fight together with companions rather than treating them like some escort to be kept away from enemy contact as much as possible, but it seems to "work". It seems to work in the sense that my magic is no threat to Cocona even though it still is to her minions because their hp/stamina ratio is 3:5, very unlike literally every other undead in this game but I already pointed this out it's getting fixed (hp buff) and also Cocona is actually pretty good at healing. Still it doesn't feel like having her around has any merits besides just the company, which I do actually appreciate I mean look at this video.

View attachment bad man.mp4
On the downside I do hate it when I aggro a ranged minion since they can attack from anywhere, draining stamina and worst of all interrupting magic. Also stealth doesn't seem to be of much use this way since even if the enemy doesn't spot Cocona first she'll go all meow and pick a fight herself. Still I thought I'd mention this in case someone with actual experience using companions might find this more helpful than I do.

Everything aside the idea of being in a party really is a merit on its own. Someone from the discord who is really good at drawing actually went and drew the scene from above for me only a few moments later after having said I hoped this would inspire him. This is the merit in the form of "just a doodle", that he didn't mind if I posted here. If anything I hope you also like it.

IMG_20220316_045214.jpg

Last edited:

kadeko

Mar 26, 2020
I'm stuck on "temple of thorns" quest on the fish island after escaping the underwater temple.
I'm supposed to rescue someone but it's impossible because i have to sneak in and they have people everywhere and it fails me.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
I'm stuck on "temple of thorns" quest on the fish island after escaping the underwater temple.
I'm supposed to rescue someone but it's impossible because i have to sneak in and they have people everywhere and it fails me.
Well, what are you working with? It's hard to give advice without knowing your build.

4.10 star(s) 185 Votes