professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
It's high up on my list of options for my next game, but I ended up deciding against it (though it's not 100% decided) because I don't think it makes much sense to go for two niche genres in a row if I want to grow my Patreon and SubscribeStar campaigns. If I had a great idea for a sci-fi story that I just had to tell, the business concerns would have gone straight out the window. As it is, however, I don't feel any stronger pull in that direction than I do with games that make more business sense, even from a creative point of view.
<GASP!> Oh so close and yet so far!..... Oh Reconsider I beg you.... With your story telling ability, it would be so fantastic...(DOWN blood pressure....DOWN)
OK, my enthusiasm aside, consider this. You say another fantasy is out as the DAZ sources are exhausted. Ok. So you're thinking of a mainstream modern idea. Ok, so I fear we'll get another of those 'young boys growing up and living with his mom and sis and lusting after the neighbor's wife' combo things. (sigh) Or some guy carving out a harem from a bunch of gangster molls while fighting off cops and machine gun kelley's. (another sigh)
SF may be a niche genre but it has as great a imaginary scope as fantasy and ...and there are lots of assets available. Also, the stage can seem infinitely large. and as for a plot....

(I got one!! ...I got one!!...but I don't want to let it out here)... well, even if you avoid cliche's there are many crossovers that would entertain while still allowing guys to "let off steam" a lot. and if it 'sniffed' of any SW/ST ishness, your fan base would grow exponentially.

All I ask is to put it back on your consideration list... Current day modern stuff is plentiful, but GOOD Space Opera is few and far between.... IMHO.. <pleading rant mode OFF>

• Haha
Reactions: Akachan and Antosha

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
I'm honestly just not interested in writing another epic story right now. LLtP has been incredibly draining. I want to make something lighter. With good storytelling, just at a smaller, more segmented scale.

Reactions: Antosha

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
How 'bout a Mass Effect parody? The world is still missing more well made babes in space parodies ;)
I'm not interested in making parodies, even though I'd probably make stupid amounts of money on it. It's just not creatively satisfying to me, and everyone else is doing it anyway.

sogetthis

Dec 8, 2018
I'm not interested in making parodies, even though I'd probably make stupid amounts of money on it. It's just not creatively satisfying to me, and everyone else is doing it anyway.
Too bad, because those ME babes are sizzling hot.

I do hope you make something that isn't set in the boring old present normal world, because that scenario is really utterly saturated.

Apr 10, 2020
You should do what you enjoy. Everything else will fall into place. If you switch to a different setting simply because of asset availability or to make money, your creativity and, more importantly, your enjoyment will suffer. You obviously enjoy magic and historical fantasy. If that ticks the box for you, go with it. It'll all work out. Your success on this project is derived from your talent but also in large part from your enthusiasm. Don't let this become a job. You'll end up part way through projects bored and wanting to move on, and then it will get harder for you to give of your best.

Reactions: professorx10

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
You should do what you enjoy. Everything else will fall into place. If you switch to a different setting simply because of asset availability or to make money, your creativity and, more importantly, your enjoyment will suffer. You obviously enjoy magic and historical fantasy. If that ticks the box for you, go with it. It'll all work out. Your success on this project is derived from your talent but also in large part from your enthusiasm. Don't let this become a job. You'll end up part way through projects bored and wanting to move on, and then it will get harder for you to give of your best.
I think you guys are completely missing my point here. The reason I'm dismissive of the ideas people are tossing my way is that I already know what I want to do. I'm not doing any of this because of business (well, mostly not, anyway). I want to do something I find fun. There's no need to try to convince me into doing so.

Frue

Feb 5, 2019
I think you guys are completely missing my point here. The reason I'm dismissive of the ideas people are tossing my way is that I already know what I want to do. I'm not doing any of this because of business (well, mostly not, anyway). I want to do something I find fun. There's no need to try to convince me into doing so.
You need some refreshing then, like going to mountain or beach and throw all away every stressfull.. till you really want to make another adult game even just short and simple

Spuds18

Mar 28, 2018
I feel like I'm talking to a wall here.
Ikr.. You've clearly demonstrated your ability to create and deliver an experience unlike the plethora of cliche VNs around.I really don't understand why anyone would try and talk you into doing something they want and just not leave you to your devices!

I'm looking forward to your next offering (and supporting) and trust it to be another unique story as well written as LLtP.

Good luck!

MrHodor

Dec 1, 2019
Hi, just saw this game and now I'm planning to play it right away but saw that v0.32 will only be made public after the 0.33 release. Maybe I'm wrong and it will be posted here earlier than I expected (please let me know) but if not I wanna ask if every save I make with the 0.31 version will be compatible with the 0.32 version?

Lord Soth

Mar 8, 2020
Hi, just saw this game and now I'm planning to play it right away but saw that v0.32 will only be made public after the 0.33 release. Maybe I'm wrong and it will be posted here earlier than I expected (please let me know) but if not I wanna ask if every save I make with the 0.31 version will be compatible with the 0.32 version?
Yes, they are fine. I continued from my 0.31 save after dloading the new 0.32.

Drakan47

Dec 17, 2018
Ah I understand, just for curiosity's sake, what would your stance be on an unrelated story that's totally not a parody and just happens to include a character that looks suspiciously similar to that one alien everybody has a hardon for? (I've never played ME and I still know which one I'm talking about)

• Haha
Reactions: Akachan

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Ah I understand, just for curiosity's sake, what would your stance be on an unrelated story that's totally not a parody and just happens to include a character that looks suspiciously similar to that one alien everybody has a hardon for? (I've never played ME and I still know which one I'm talking about)
My stance is this: Why should I copy other people's ideas when I have so many of my own?

Also, all these posts are quite indicative of why so many devs go the "parody" route. There's a lot of interest, and thus money, in it. The day I start chasing the money is the day I completely lose interest in being an adult game dev.

Jun 10, 2020
My stance is this: Why should I copy other people's ideas when I have so many of my own?

Also, all these posts are quite indicative of why so many devs go the "parody" route. There's a lot of interest, and thus money, in it. The day I start chasing the money is the day I completely lose interest in being an adult game dev.
Thank you for making a great game. My suggestion was just in case that you would have preferred to do another mediaeval fantasy, but thought there wasn't sufficient market; since I was obviously wrong about that, never mind.

Reactions: Akachan

polycentric

Donor
Mar 26, 2019

Never change, amigo...

Reactions: cdn
4.60 star(s) 378 Votes