VN Ren'Py Love and Evil Things [v0.1.4] [Petals]

4.50 star(s) 6 Votes

Yarazin

Dec 2, 2022
Hi,
Started this tonight. I like Mei a lot, her on top of the dresser was very funny. Kumi I'm not liking so much at this point. Hoping she will grow on me.

The movement animations are a very cool addition and the art is really pretty.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Also, I tried to add URM to see if the couple choices so far added stats but game crashes on launch. Is that intended?

Lordborgman

Jan 6, 2020
There is no planned lesbian sex scenes that you can't dictate if it happens or not. The bookclub scenes will have lesbian stuff but you skip them all.
In general, I think most of us romantic Harem enjoyers prefer the girls entirely to ourselves. As in they only have sex with the MC and just the MC, maybe threesomes+ are involved, but the focus of the girls is entirely/mostly on the MC himself. No other scenes should happen with the girls without the MC, if they do, they should be entirely optional and should not happen at all if we chose to exclude it, none of that skip it but it still happened stuff. Just saying, for future reference.

LaETDev

Game Developer
Dec 23, 2017
Another 0x52_URM-secured game?

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "0x52-URM/classes/main.rpy", line 33, in <module>
File "0x52-URM/classes/textbox.rpy", line 14, in __init__
TypeError: __call__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'image'
I have no idea what urm is and I don't care if people use it. Send me a link to it and your save file in a DM and I can probably figure out why my game would crash with it.

The only walkthrough required for this game is to always pick the first option pretty much, the options in this episode basically just let you decide if you like the girl or not. If you don't you can turn her off.

At the start of the next episode I'll put a message right at the start to let people confirm their choices of they turned a girl off accidentally.

Edit: I'll try to solve this URM thing tomorrow. Looks like it'll take some debugging.

Edit: I figured it out. I'll post a fixed version when I wake up. Looks like it'll require a new save unfortunately (for people who want to use URM).

Last edited:

Shadowen

Oct 19, 2018
I've only recently started the game and just saw the 1st clubhouse meeting between Mei & some other girls. In that meeting they bring up whether they should ask you to restart their regular coaching/training after school in prep for some upcoming match/competition. Haven't gotten further, so no idea if/when the training/coaching happens.

Since you're their Gym teacher, I'd assume that this is just a followup for that.

Edit to add: I actually just got that scene, and I have to actually agree it somewhat doesn't make sense. You finish talking to Momo, then it does the "you go to bed, have breakfast, etc" thing and tosses that coaching thing in. Tho the clubhouse event does suggest they were going to ask you after the 1st gym class... it's left to the player to assume it happens, as it's never shown to have happened - thus that slide doesn't seem/appear to make sense, unless you take it that it was initially asked "off screen".

Last edited:

fisty123

Oct 24, 2022
In general, I think most of us romantic Harem enjoyers prefer the girls entirely to ourselves
I love a harem but also love a good lesbian scene with girls within the harem, Yes we exist out there but when we speak up here it gets us hate mail and abuse.

Now that I have had my rant that will get me hate and angry reactions I will add I was on the higher Patreon tier for this project for a while, even the custom renders are good quality, the dev will tell a mini story using 3-5 images with added text (no nude for characters who have not been nude in game), dev was always asking for thoughts and feedback as well and thoughts even on the minor things.

If your on the fence about giving this one a go, give it a chance I know a certain shower scene early on annoyed some people in the original release, I assume its still there but it was not what everyone was thinking, continue past that part.

KnightOwlSC

Oct 12, 2021
Is this looking like another boring LIL clone? As soon as I see these kinds of LIs + the horror tag I lose interest immediately but maybe this one is better?

MythMackay

Feb 29, 2020
I saw one of the tags I like, I'm like me sold me download but when I saw this View attachment 3829611 yeah this right here is the most Evil Things to do ha-ha :LOL: yeah, I know Patreon has restriction on certain content unfortunately this is one of them :cry: so here's hoping Dev add in an option to change Mei relationship with MC or a patch...
Yeah, I literally just saw that render, and came here to see if there was any info about it. Both of those "workaround" options that you noted have already been previously suggested as ways to get around the Patreon thought police, but this is what we got instead. For me, that's an interest killer, so I'm done here for now, but I may check back in the future to see if someone creates a patch.

hoshimota

Sep 18, 2023
Is this looking like another boring LIL clone? As soon as I see these kinds of LIs + the horror tag I lose interest immediately but maybe this one is better?
I dunno what LIL is, maybe just my mind drawing a blank at the moment. Without knowing which game you are referring to, it's kinda hard to draw a comparison.

But this is by far the best VN I have played in quite some time. The dialogue and humor are excellent. The lewd stuff is hot. The graphics are really incredible, best use of Koikatsu I have ever seen, by a mile.

*Comments on horror aspect below*

I don't feel like "oh this is just like such-and-such game" so far. At all. If anything, I think it's quite original and there are a number of promising innovations at play, like the book club aspect and the "skip to next available new scene" functionality. And in case I haven't said it enough times yet, the really good graphics they are somehow managing to achieve via Koikatsu.

...Did I mention the graphics are really good

hoshimota

Sep 18, 2023
I love a harem but also love a good lesbian scene with girls within the harem, Yes we exist out there but when we speak up here it gets us hate mail and abuse.

Now that I have had my rant that will get me hate and angry reactions I will add I was on the higher Patreon tier for this project for a while, even the custom renders are good quality, the dev will tell a mini story using 3-5 images with added text (no nude for characters who have not been nude in game), dev was always asking for thoughts and feedback as well and thoughts even on the minor things.

If your on the fence about giving this one a go, give it a chance I know a certain shower scene early on annoyed some people in the original release, I assume its still there but it was not what everyone was thinking, continue past that part.
I don't think you're as much in the minority as you think. That shower scene was hot as fuck. Hoping we eventually get some threesome content with Kumi, but also I am down for the occasional girl-on-girl scene thrown in for extra spice, I just don't want to see them getting fucked by other dudes (however they can always build stuff like that into the book club scenes allowing it to be skipped and effectively not "really" be happening.)

Simpgor

Apr 18, 2020
I would say it isn' beyond the whole "guy guys to school and has more freedom than he should with a bunch of girls" :KEK:.

There's been a couple (2-3?) "Horror moments" but they are centered around a single character for now and neither of them are just "omg loud noise while negative image of LI flashes on screen for a few frames". I also think this is much much much more readable in that it doesn't sound like a stream of consciousness from a high school sophomore.

Having only chosen the "nice" options there's plenty of hints dropped for multiple characters (and it's the whole idea of the game) that bad stuff could happen to them but most of it seems like more "legit" mental type (hints at bad homelife/memory loss/werid faces etc) stuff not whatever the hell LiL has gotten up to. It could go down that path but I have more faith in this than most other in this "genre"

hoshimota

Sep 18, 2023
I would say it isn' beyond the whole "guy guys to school and has more freedom than he should with a bunch of girls" :KEK:.
It's a pretty different twist on it. Usually those games are like 'pervy dude gets hired to do job at a school' and the story starts there. Here, the guy has already been working there for some time, but the story picks up with him recovering from an accident in the hospital, and having amnesia. There's also no creepy manager blatantly encouraging him to get up to shenanigans (like headmaster, club detention, etc. etc.) - here the principal is actively following his ass around warning him to keep his hands to himself. Cue hilarious scene where he very nearly gets stabbed lol.

There's been a couple (2-3?) "Horror moments" but they are centered around a single character for now and neither of them are just "omg loud noise while negative image of LI flashes on screen for a few frames". I also think this is much much much more readable in that it doesn't sound like a stream of consciousness from a high school sophomore.
There are actually a lot of hints about the horror - there is one student in particular who is affected most directly (I will skip the spoilers but suffice it to say if you play through the entire current game you will know) but then there are also scenes where the MC has nightmares, Mei has nightmares, and at the book club the girls ask Emi to change out the book they are discussing (a horror book) because several of the girls are having nightmares (this sure as hell seems like foreshadowing.)

Still can't figure which game you guys are talking about but the narrative and dialogue in Love and Evil Things is striking the perfect balance to me - you are correct that it absolutely does not get lost in reams of stream of consciousness bullshit like I have seen in plenty of other VNs. The devs have avoided building in paragraphs of annoying text just to stroke their own egos (Waifu Academy went too far in this regard with all the elaborate references and puns that drone on for pages.) Here they narrate just enough to add humor, and the dialogue is very realistic and not dragged out for the sake of adding length. I also like the way they throw in little bits of Japanese (expressed in English characters) which adds character.

Simpgor

Apr 18, 2020
It's a pretty different twist on it. Usually those games are like 'pervy dude gets hired to do job at a school' and the story starts there. Here, the guy has already been working there for some time, but the story picks up with him recovering from an accident in the hospital, and having amnesia. There's also no creepy manager blatantly encouraging him to get up to shenanigans (like headmaster, club detention, etc. etc.) - here the principal is actively following his ass around warning him to keep his hands to himself. Cue hilarious scene where he very nearly gets stabbed lol.

There are actually a lot of hints about the horror - there is one student in particular who is affected most directly (I will skip the spoilers but suffice it to say if you play through the entire current game you will know, and it goes beyond just a flash on the screen) but then there are also scenes where the MC has nightmares, Mei has nightmares, and at the book club the girls ask Emi to change out the book they are discussing (a horror book) because several of the girls are having nightmares (this sure as hell seems like foreshadowing.)

Still can't figure which game you guys are talking about but the narrative and dialogue in Love and Evil Things is striking the perfect balance to me - you are correct that it absolutely does not get lost in reams of stream of consciousness bullshit like I have seen in plenty of other VNs. The devs have avoided building in paragraphs of annoying text just to stroke their own egos (Waifu Academy went too far in this regard with all the elaborate references and puns that drone on for pages.) Here they narrate just enough to add humor, and the dialogue is very realistic and not dragged out for the sake of adding length. I also like the way they throw in little bits of Japanese (expressed in English characters) which adds character.
I agree that it's a slightly different but (and the game points this out) he isn't the right person for the job he is later assigned (counselor) even if the school was doing so bad they couldn't hire anybody new or even a nurse :KEK:. It's perfectly fine setup but it doesn't really stray from the formula.

Since the nightmares that Mei have been having happen before the story starts I didn't count them, then there's also other hints aren't really about the kind of horror they were asking about (like a character feeling jealous over another's natural athletic ability could easily lead into several bad places), or the person who hit MC with the car sometimes making a very unusual face when talking to MC but still none of it is lowbrow "jumpscare"/4th wall breaking horror like LiL tries (and fails) to do,

For reference the "horror" in LiL is on this level: the first scene in the game (when i played) was a "forced" niece breeding "minigame" where her head rolls off the model and the room is filled with he blood from her hymen (or maybe just vagina thankfully ive forgotten) and all of this is before youve gotten a paragraph about her

Last edited:

hoshimota

Sep 18, 2023
there's also other hints aren't really about the kind of horror they were asking about (like a character feeling jealous over another's natural athletic ability could easily lead into several bad places), or the person who hit MC with the car sometimes making a very unusual face when talking to MC but still none of it is lowbrow "jumpscare"/4th wall breaking horror like LiL tries (and fails) to do
Oh shit, both of those are really good points I completely missed. Yeah a few of the conflicts / jealousy between the LIs could lead to some interesting dark results. Someone could also really get upset by one of Emi's book club stories...

For reference the "horror" in LiL is on this level: the first scene in the game (when i played) was a "forced" niece breeding "minigame" where her head rolls off the model and the room is filled with he blood from her hymen (or maybe just vagina thankfully ive forgotten) and all of this is before youve gotten a paragraph about her
Barf. Glad I missed that game then!!

• Haha
Reactions: Simpgor

LaETDev

Game Developer
Dec 23, 2017
Is this looking like another boring LIL clone?
Lessons in Love had a big influence on the early development of this game and I reference it a couple times in the existing content to pay homage.

That said, I quit playing LiL pretty early and honestly can't remember much of it at this point. It has a very different sense of humor, style of horror, and prose than anything I would create.

Reactions: ArhraCole

anonymous316

Oct 6, 2017
I honest find the writing of Lessons in Love a bit too pretentious for my taste nowadays so always nice to see alternatives.
This and Another World are two I've really liked so far.

KnightOwlSC

Oct 12, 2021
Lessons in Love had a big influence on the early development of this game and I reference it a couple times in the existing content to pay homage.

That said, I quit playing LiL pretty early and honestly can't remember much of it at this point. It has a very different sense of humor, style of horror, and prose than anything I would create.
Uhhh.. you recreated the selfish/asshole MC from LiL really well.. which sucks because I hate him with a passion. Best of luck with the game though :)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: LaETDev

LaETDev

Game Developer
Dec 23, 2017
I honest find the writing of Lessons in Love a bit too pretentious for my taste nowadays so always nice to see alternatives.
This and Another World are two I've really liked so far.
Unfortunately I don't really have enough time these days to see what's going on in other games. If you do see something you particularly enjoyed and think it would fit here then by all means let me know and I'll consider it.

I'm sure there's lots of excellent ideas floating around that I'm too smooth-brained to think up myself.

This game still needs a couple episodes to breathe and fully come into its own. The MC is very cliche and boring so far for example. I struggle with deciding how much personality he should have vs being a blank slate...

like a character feeling jealous over another's natural athletic ability could easily lead into several bad places
Truly, there is no horror like the horror teen girls can inflict on each other.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Simpgor

robbaniak

Jul 17, 2019
WOW. It's hard to believe that when you're making a Ren'Py game, you don't know about Universal Ren'Py Mod o_O
https://f95zone.to/threads/universal-renpy-mod-urm-2-3-1-mod-any-renpy-game-yourself.48025/

I have no idea what urm is and I don't care if people use it. Send me a link to it and your save file in a DM and I can probably figure out why my game would crash with it.

The only walkthrough required for this game is to always pick the first option pretty much, the options in this episode basically just let you decide if you like the girl or not. If you don't you can turn her off.

At the start of the next episode I'll put a message right at the start to let people confirm their choices of they turned a girl off accidentally.

Edit: I'll try to solve this URM thing tomorrow. Looks like it'll take some debugging.

Edit: I figured it out. I'll post a fixed version when I wake up. Looks like it'll require a new save unfortunately (for people who want to use URM).

• Sad
Reactions: LaETDev

Simpgor

Apr 18, 2020
Truly, there is no horror like the horror teen girls can inflict on each other.
Usually you can outrun a teen girl but one on the track team? :eek: dead before you hit the ground

Really though I do personally think its a good way to add believable tension and why this is one of the few games "like this" that I mention to people in a positive way despite being pretty new

4.50 star(s) 6 Votes