Phoeniix

Oct 24, 2017
The mac version (downloaded from MEGA) will not execute. I just get a warning that the application can't be opened.
I run a Macbook pro and had no issues with it , however in my experience, when this error occurs on a Mac it is usually a permissions issue. I have only seen this up until now with RAR compressed games. However if this is the issue, this script should fix it. It is easy to run and you might want to keep it handy for other games:

https://f95zone.to/threads/permission-fixer-for-mac-and-linux.24233/
but first...have you tried right clicking on the game file to bring up the contextual menu and selecting "Open" from there? Mac usually will not allow first time open from 3rd party software without the special permission granted by this path.
(or by using the Terminal ...and Terminal users already know what to do)

Last edited:
Reactions: Droid Productions

firefly66

Jan 26, 2019
I run a Macbook pro and had no issues with it , however in my experience, when this error occurs on a Mac it is usually a permissions issue. I have only seen this up until now with RAR compressed games. However if this is the issue, this script should fix it. It is easy to run and you might want to keep it handy for other games:

https://f95zone.to/threads/permission-fixer-for-mac-and-linux.24233/
but first...have you tried right clicking on the game file to bring up the contextual menu and selecting "Open" from there? Mac usually will not allow first time open from 3rd party software without the special permission granted by this path.
(or by using the Terminal ...and Terminal users already know what to do)
Oh crap. I actually posted a fix for this issue several years ago. That did it. I've never seen it outside of .rar files, either. Thanks.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I think this is the save file. I'm pretty sure i finished conversation with Chloe, she gave me a beer and dialog ended after that, can't click on her anymore.
Weird. I grabbed your save-file, clicked Quick Load. Chloe pops up and starts the next sequence. There's nothing weird in the log file or other stuff.

1576889683663.png

Patan

May 28, 2017
Weird. I grabbed your save-file, clicked Quick Load. Chloe pops up and starts the next sequence. There's nothing weird in the log file or other stuff.

View attachment 492586
I'm so confused, deleted everything and started over stuck at same place, can you send me save file after that scene?

Droid Productions Just checked with someone else save that far in to the game and everything works fine with it. Also if i start my own game i realized can't also save, just can do quick save but can't load that either, it just goes to black screen. I think giving me a save after that point or maybe an older version of the game might fix my weird issue.

Last edited:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I'm so confused, deleted everything and started over stuck at same place, can you send me save file after that scene?
That's really really weird. Here's me playing from your savegame. Does your game also highlight the character (they grow a tiny bit bigger) when you mouse-over them? I also attached a savegame from immediately after this.

View attachment 2019-12-21 09-42-51.mp4

Reactions: Patan

Patan

May 28, 2017
That's really really weird. Here's me playing from your savegame. Does your game also highlight the character (they grow a tiny bit bigger) when you mouse-over them? I also attached a savegame from immediately after this.

View attachment 492632
Yes this save worked, icons are back i can save and load fine.
Also yes Chloe gets highlighted like i can click on her but when i click nothing happened. Hopefully its something unique for me and no one gets the same problem. Thanks again for save.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Maybe a better idea would be to follow what the connect 3+ type games do and after a little time has passed without a move do a little flash of the best cards and best placing for them. So the person can still play/learn even if they are bad, or like you mentioned a "suggest" but that could also have one of the allies say "use me" of course with more dialogue.
First pass implementation of the hint effect. I think controlling the alpha from a sine-wave on this is probably not the best solution, and I'm still unsure if I should fade out the cards at the hand, or highlight them some other way. Still, it should make life a little easier on people who don't understand poker rules.

View attachment 2019-12-21 11-18-25.mp4

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
First pass implementation of the hint effect. I think controlling the alpha from a sine-wave on this is probably not the best solution, and I'm still unsure if I should fade out the cards at the hand, or highlight them some other way. Still, it should make life a little easier on people who don't understand poker rules.

View attachment 492695
Fading out looks like they are being played so it may slightly confuse the player, instead maybe have them sit higher vertically in hand to show these cards to be played.

Other thing I would think might be good is that it isn't the same cards being shown in the same spot (how the king is always top left in the flash and jack bottom right), just have which card can go there switch between the two if you can.

Or instead of showing the cards on the field, just highlight the zones with the cards highlighted in hand.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Fading out looks like they are being played so it may slightly confuse the player, instead maybe have them sit higher vertically in hand to show these cards to be played.
Oooh. I like that idea, stealing it.

Other thing I would think might be good is that it isn't the same cards being shown in the same spot (how the king is always top left in the flash and jack bottom right), just have which card can go there switch between the two if you can.
In theory I *could* randomly pick a choice, I guess. Though randomizing the order is less trouble :) I should probably have a solution for "no valid move" as well... not quite sure what that would be (and it can't be an auto-discard, since allied powers would have an impact there).

View attachment 2019-12-21 11-44-58.mp4

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Oooh. I like that idea, stealing it.

In theory I *could* randomly pick a choice, I guess. Though randomizing the order is less trouble :) I should probably have a solution for "no valid move" as well... not quite sure what that would be (and it can't be an auto-discard, since allied powers would have an impact there).

View attachment 492712
Looks much nicer now.

Randomizing it doesn't really matter, was more of just to make sure the player knows that they can place them in whichever order at whatever position.

Allies will become more useful, however as of now only 3 exist which if I remember correctly none have any change to your cards.

So telling the player to heal/burn/defend can be its own thing. So for now, telling them to discard would be right in the not available moves but code the future portion of it to mention try the changing powers/allies when they pop in.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Allies will become more useful, however as of now only 3 exist which if I remember correctly none have any change to your cards.

So telling the player to heal/burn/defend can be its own thing. So for now, telling them to discard would be right in the not available moves but code the future portion of it to mention try the changing powers/allies when they pop in.
So, the original inspiration for the Poker minigame was an old mobile game called Sword & Poker (the original premium games, not the F2P abomination).

In that game you had spells you could cast, but most of them were meta-magic. Examples would be
* Replace the center of the board with a joker
* Pick up a card from the board, replace it with a card from your hand
* Use 1-2 cards from the enemy's hand instead of your own
* sort the cards in the center by suit or by value.

In Act II all these kinds of actions will be represented by Sorcery. There's a couple of sorcerers hanging around (most obviously Chloe), and as they level up they get access to more of these powers.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
So, the original inspiration for the Poker minigame was an old mobile game called Sword & Poker (the original premium games, not the F2P abomination).

In that game you had spells you could cast, but most of them were meta-magic. Examples would be
* Replace the center of the board with a joker
* Pick up a card from the board, replace it with a card from your hand
* Use 1-2 cards from the enemy's hand instead of your own
* sort the cards in the center by suit or by value.

In Act II all these kinds of actions will be represented by Sorcery. There's a couple of sorcerers hanging around (most obviously Chloe), and as they level up they get access to more of these powers.
I can see most of what you say.

I guess I will ask a mechanics question. If you use an ally sorc and they do a thing like the ones you mentioned, how is that explained? Like changing the board to have that joker, yes the MC can use it but so can the enemy. So it makes it a bit weird on the explanation why your sorc may be helping the enemy, especially since how the enemy views the battle is different yet the sorc's stuff still benefits them.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I can see most of what you say.

I guess I will ask a mechanics question. If you use an ally sorc and they do a thing like the ones you mentioned, how is that explained? Like changing the board to have that joker, yes the MC can use it but so can the enemy. So it makes it a bit weird on the explanation why your sorc may be helping the enemy, especially since how the enemy views the battle is different yet the sorc's stuff still benefits them.
The human mind can't really visualize and understand magic; the board is just how MC visualizes the possible things his magic can affect right now. Sorcery's power is related to the underlying currents of magic; they can nudge (or get nudged by) the currents to change probabilities and reality. So for example, placing a Joker in the center of the board isn't *actually* placing a joker anywhere, it's influencing the strength of the flow of magic locally. Nothing that says whatever nudge a sorcerer adds is only to your benefit... "Their power is too fickle, and far too often their gifts comes with sharp edges."

Reactions: L30

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Reminds me a bit of Wild Mages. Which of course you put down quickly because having chaotic magic around is never good. "oh you want to light that candle" (City is now burning, candle remains unlit)...

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Reminds me a bit of Wild Mages. Which of course you put down quickly because having chaotic magic around is never good. "oh you want to light that candle" (City is now burning, candle remains unlit)...
Yeah, sorcerers are potentially quite hazardous to the environment, and the people around them. Usually the actual sorcerer tends to walk away unscathed from whatever they've done, though. Some nudge or inspiration makes them move just to the right place at the right time.

The one exception to this is a sorceress that refuses to acknowledge her powers, or actively ignores the nudges and inspirations. At which point they're likely to wander into the wrecking balls of reality by accident.

Reactions: L30

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017

Spent some time working on the Sorcery actions today.

Here I test out the first 4 sorcerous actions:
1. Replace one of your cards (at random) with a joker
2. Replace the center of the board with a joker
3. Sort the cards by suit
4. Sort the cards by value

Together these elements allow us to change up the game flow. Each action trigger from conversations; there's two types of conversations for each action.. one that's played the first time you use the spell, one that's played subsequently (when you just want it to execute quickly).

• Love
Reactions: Phoeniix and L30

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Spent some time working on the Sorcery actions today.

Here I test out the first 4 sorcerous actions:
1. Replace one of your cards (at random) with a joker
2. Replace the center of the board with a joker
3. Sort the cards by suit
4. Sort the cards by value

Together these elements allow us to change up the game flow. Each action trigger from conversations; there's two types of conversations for each action.. one that's played the first time you use the spell, one that's played subsequently (when you just want it to execute quickly).
Is your magic inspiration from any specific game or self made? (Mage: The ascension, etc.)

Looking at the sorc video, looks pretty good. Only complaints would be in the text, when MC said it sorted the cards by suit, the Joker is considered a heart card? (other complaint is that I named my character Gee, so when people say Gee, I get confused via name or statement.)

Does the value sort include suit sort as an addendum? 7 and 8 of hearts before 8 of spades on video.

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes