Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I'm running a high Charisma build (31 Str, 27 Int, 58 Cha at the End of Act 3) and I'm happy with it. I can use the companions almost every turn.

It's not just a passive cooldown they have right? I have the impression what you play/how much damage you do also factors in. Although I don't remember ever having read something about it.
Yeah, both damage dealt and damage received is calculated into it. Some have longer cooldown timers. It's honestly one of the less tuned aspect, because nobody complains :D One thing I might do is slow down the recharge on the harder levels.

Reactions: Rolo

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
If you've played the latest beta, she mentions that she had a sword teacher, once. He's since disappeared, though people report seeing him in Elsewhere. (It's part of Act IV, but not implemented yet).

Apart from that; Emily at rest, Emily with Dylan (unlock regen), Katie at rest (Recharge the True firegem if it's been used), Bella at rest (Regain +5 moves), and of course Snowdrop at the Shrine are the story events in Elsewhere at the moment. I'll be adding more.
Thank you for the list, though I tried to have Katie recharge the Firegem in my last game with the public build and it didn't work. I got her response at the 'rest' that she was ready to go again but when I tried it in the next battle, no joy.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Thank you for the list, though I tried to have Katie recharge the Firegem in my last game with the public build and it didn't work. I got her response at the 'rest' that she was ready to go again but when I tried it in the next battle, no joy.
I'll have a look; it's not a commonly exercised code-path, so it might have bugs. 0.3.24b is also a while ago, a huge bunch of stuff has gotten fixed since then.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The beta builds are available on Discord for anyone that wants to take them for a spin.

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
Pretty much, as of 0.3.35, here's the combat effects of your stats

* STR adds 10 points of health/point. That's then scaled by difficulty (2x for the easiest, 1.5x for the second easiest).
* STR adds 1% additional damage / point. In addition the easiest/easier difficulties multiply damage by 200% and 120% respectively
* INT adds 1% additional Xp / point.
* INT adds 1% / point to the secondary effect.
* CHR adds +1/point to the Companion recharge rate.

On damage vs secondary effect. have both a "direct damage" component and an "effect" component.

View attachment 621793

So. Assuming we're playing on normal difficulty, with a STR/INT/CHR build of 20/10/10, triggering a Fire3 would do:
30 x 120% = 36 points of direct damage
9 x 110% = apply 10 points of fire to target (all values round up)

Right now I suspect I'm charging the Companions a bit fast, but everyone seem to love it so I don't have the heart to take it away from them.
The problem is that CHR pretty much offers no real incentive. Once you get the minimum required of 10, you don't need to invest in it anymore, as you're already getting your friends to play every other turn at worst.

What you could try to balance this is to severely reduce the rate at which damage inflicted & received fills up their gauge. To counterbalance this, they'd now partially refill every turn, regardless of damage. CHR would boost both rates, on damage and over time. And even though I say "severely reduce", characters like Dylan fill up crazy fast anyway so they'd prob still be available every turn.

In addition, the other 2 stats provide 2 buffs whereas CHR only offers one. Not to mention it'd be virtually worthless if alone (like when you save Molly). That's why I think it'd make sense for it to be the counterpart to INT - detracting % from debuffs received.

Oh and you could fiddle with a beta build to get feedback. Even if you don't have the heart to take away that sweet candy, being able to use Molly less often could also make her feel so much more impactful and satisfying, so they might be missing out on it without knowing it.

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
... CHR ... Once you get the minimum required of 10, you don't need to invest in it anymore, as you're already getting your friends to play every other turn at worst. ...
One needs CHR 20 for the pixi event, which is very helpful in the long run (rage7 gem). After having CHR 20, there will be still more events which lead to increasing CHR values automatically.

But I agree with you that pushing CHR much above 30, for ally regenerariton reasons, is not of much value (I might change my mind with more events to come ;) )
Some ppl push it above 50, and everyone has own priorities ofc.

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
One needs CHR 20 for the pixi event, which is very helpful in the long run (rage7 gem). After having CHR 20, there will be still more events which lead to increasing CHR values automatically.

But I agree with you that pushing CHR much above 30, for ally regenerariton reasons, is not of much value (I might change my mind with more events to come ;) )
Some ppl push it above 50, and everyone has own priorities ofc.
True but if its only value is event-gating, then the other stats have that as well. By comparison, CHR is simply UP. Though I didn't know about the CHR gating for that particular event, I'd focused CHR heavily at first so I was already above 20.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
My CHA ended at like 40+ cus I didn't really know much about the game in the early stages. Plus, you can gain CHA as a free action just by taking lots of showers before bed. Its way too much but the game isn't too difficult that you have to min max.

I'm sure it will be balanced in the future.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Droid Productions Any plans on including a character journal which updates as new information gets revealed?
As in a task-list, or as in a character bio?

The bio, I might do in Book 2, simply because people might need a refresher after not having played the game for a while. But I need to be careful about what I *do* put in, since a lot of what's actually revealed are breadcrumbs and foreshadowing. If I'm too on the nose, it'll reduce the impact once the actual event happens.

If you mean in the sense of "task list", I try not to. Instead I'm trying to use ingame hints and motivations to push the player. I'm aware some players really want that (and I do provide a spoilered walkthrough accessible from the PC, under Courseware), but I feel that it tends to reduce exploration and make things very mechanical, and removes a lot of the organic life of the game. There's still lots of places where I should be signalling better, of course; especially in terms of Bella/Katie. I added more stuff to do at the Grassmarket, so now there are organic reasons to go there, but I'll also add nudges to say "hey, go to the grassmarket, damnit". For anything that's optional, the game tries to give you a hint (new stuff available on the PC, for example), but I really wanted there to be a sense of whimsy and exploration.

Hope that answers the question :)

yarerag801

Apr 12, 2020
As in a task-list, or as in a character bio?

The bio, I might do in Book 2, simply because people might need a refresher after not having played the game for a while. But I need to be careful about what I *do* put in, since a lot of what's actually revealed are breadcrumbs and foreshadowing. If I'm too on the nose, it'll reduce the impact once the actual event happens.

If you mean in the sense of "task list", I try not to. Instead I'm trying to use ingame hints and motivations to push the player. I'm aware some players really want that (and I do provide a spoilered walkthrough accessible from the PC, under Courseware), but I feel that it tends to reduce exploration and make things very mechanical, and removes a lot of the organic life of the game. There's still lots of places where I should be signalling better, of course; especially in terms of Bella/Katie. I added more stuff to do at the Grassmarket, so now there are organic reasons to go there, but I'll also add nudges to say "hey, go to the grassmarket, damnit". For anything that's optional, the game tries to give you a hint (new stuff available on the PC, for example), but I really wanted there to be a sense of whimsy and exploration.

Hope that answers the question :)
Character bio. And refresher is exactly the reason why its needed.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
What stat does each book raise? And what are all the different ways of training each stat?
It's a bit of a mixed bag; some are straight forward ("Big Muscles, Gut" obviously increases STR, Speedreading for Dummies (a reference to the ubiquitous speedreading books in Persona) increases int.

Apart from that, there's quite a lot of different ways to bump your various stats, and there's no real need to min-max it. You need 10 STR/CHR/INT to beat Katie in Strip MMA, that's the big early-stage blocker. You can also train CHR by showering, chatting with people in the cafe or grabbing a beer at the grassmarket, STR by training in the gym, INT by studying in the private library. You also gain a point to freely distribute when you level up, and some of the story-events give bonuses as well.

Uzhirian

Jul 18, 2017
Fascinating, it didn't read like that for me. While she did plonk Emily down on your lap, it was much in the way of someone throwing you a live handgrenade to see what you'd do. The fact that she doesn't fully understand just *how* bad it could go doesn't excuse the fact that she thought it would be bad, and was looking forward to it. But I might not have communicated that as well as I should. It was *supposed* to be a bad idea. But it was meant to *feel* like a good idea ;) Anger and power remains one of the themes in Act IV, and something both Emily and X discusses with him.
I think you communicated it very well, that's what I got from it, and thought the MC handled her smack-down pretty good.
As for the game itself, very awesome work. I'm now a big fan. Would be good if there is a chance to save before the game ends suddenly though, the last day goes from start straight into story that doesn't allow saving until it ends, i'll need to replay a few days on next update because of the sudden cut to end message.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I think you communicated it very well, that's what I got from it, and thought the MC handled her smack-down pretty good.
As for the game itself, very awesome work. I'm now a big fan. Would be good if there is a chance to save before the game ends suddenly though, the last day goes from start straight into story that doesn't allow saving until it ends, i'll need to replay a few days on next update because of the sudden cut to end message.
It should have generated an auto-save at the end of Act III, it's using a special image.

You can also continue replaying from that "game+" setting, if you load that Act III complete savegame, Emily will be waiting at the beach to talk to you.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I've been tinkering with videos of different types for the next act;

I'm using them for interstitials (like here, where I rewrote the first encounter in act I)

And as backgrounds (the portal itself was an awesome gift from a forum and discord regular)

In addition to supporting streamers, this one's accessible from the PC:

I put together a quick demo for my Patreons, showing how it was set up and designed. Might be interesting to some people here as well:

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
That Act1 Emily entrance is seriously awesome!

Oh, I think you said somewhere that there are like 3 random chat encounters per companion and that it grants a stat at the end?

I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but these things almost never triggered for me. And I visited the Cafe enough times to read every book. Occasionally, when I do a quickload in cafe or the bar, some random event triggers. Also when I press the back button, it sometimes triggers an event. But I don't think I can remember these events ever triggering when I just walk into a place. And I certainly never got 3 chats with anyone. I had the first chat with Emily and Dylan in the cafe maybe. And the wheelchair guy and librarian made a stop in the bar.

You might wanna look at the code on how these are triggered though. It seemed kinda messed up from my playthrough.

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes