EZ8lt

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2019
Ah, another grindy sandbox that lacks the quality control for beta testing. I mean, I'd understand if you go public with a buggy version but those who actually pay got a working one, but the other way, not so much. The further we go into this game, the more it falls apart anyway, like on the level of story, mechanics, and playability. Sure, looks decent enough, but that's pretty much the only consistent thing it has going for it.

Reactions: HansDampf788

Bear in the Night

Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Ah, another grindy sandbox that lacks the quality control for beta testing. I mean, I'd understand if you go public with a buggy version but those who actually pay got a working one, but the other way, not so much. The further we go into this game, the more it falls apart anyway, like on the level of story, mechanics, and playability. Sure, looks decent enough, but that's pretty much the only consistent thing it has going for it.
Hey!
Thank you for your constructive opinion! Would like to hear more details :)
I would like to know what mechanics you considered as "grind"
Try to start a new game and you probably won't face a critical bag (like pple here). For sure you know what mean "alpha\beta tests" are and the reason for them.

Have a good day :)

Reactions: drooopy

EZ8lt

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2019
Hey!
Thank you for your constructive opinion! Would like to hear more details :)
I would like to know what mechanics you considered as "grind"
Try to start a new game and you probably won't face a critical bag (like pple here). For sure you know what mean "alpha\beta tests" are and the reason for them.

Have a good day :)
Last time I played, 1 or 2 versions ago, you had a timetable for characters and set-in-stone opportunities where and when you should interact them for story progression. "Visit her during this class, then meet up with her during this daytime at this place", and then there were those magic classes where you had to repeat the minigames. That's a grind aspect at worst, a clickfest at best, especially if you tie specific days for said progression events, like visit xy characters during Thursday evening for example. Given the weekend teaser previously, and if you haven't scrapped the whole "weekly house competition" idea, that's also going to be a sort of grind if you tie certain progression events for that village, since I guess you won't be able to do them in one go, and for that, you'll have to participate actively for points. This falls under the grind category as well, not so much as having to farm certain amount of points with characters for progression, which maybe you will include in some form or maybe not, but it is anyway.

I literally started a new game, and the game breaking bug came with the scene between the foster parents. If I choose to continue to watch, bug screen that couldn't be ignored came, and if I rolldback I couldn't choose the other option, which halted the progression from the intro itself.

I know about beta testings, I did them myself. That's why I will never understand, why developers decide to release beta versions for patrons as a "reward". It will create leaks, backlash, and as I mentioned, it's a weird marketing strategy in itself. I also know that for sandbox games, it's necessary to have them, because you'll only find a few of these games that can be updated without any sort of a hitch. I'm also familiar with the early access model, which is different, because there you get a more than enough for a demo chunk of content, which will most likely change in the finished version but sometimes can be buggy. I have an EA for Baldurs Gate 3 currently and had for Divinity 2.

If your beta got leaked from a small select group that you have for this purpose, ignore the last paragraph of course, but I advise you to purge the leaker, since it will cause only problems on the long run.

Have a good day as well. :)

Bear in the Night

Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Last time I played, 1 or 2 versions ago, you had a timetable for characters and set-in-stone opportunities where and when you should interact them for story progression. "Visit her during this class, then meet up with her during this daytime at this place", and then there were those magic classes where you had to repeat the minigames. That's a grind aspect at worst, a clickfest at best, especially if you tie specific days for said progression events, like visit xy characters during Thursday evening for example. Given the weekend teaser previously, and if you haven't scrapped the whole "weekly house competition" idea, that's also going to be a sort of grind if you tie certain progression events for that village, since I guess you won't be able to do them in one go, and for that, you'll have to participate actively for points. This falls under the grind category as well, not so much as having to farm certain amount of points with characters for progression, which maybe you will include in some form or maybe not, but it is anyway.

I literally started a new game, and the game breaking bug came with the scene between the foster parents. If I choose to continue to watch, bug screen that couldn't be ignored came, and if I rolldback I couldn't choose the other option, which halted the progression from the intro itself.

I know about beta testings, I did them myself. That's why I will never understand, why developers decide to release beta versions for patrons as a "reward". It will create leaks, backlash, and as I mentioned, it's a weird marketing strategy in itself. I also know that for sandbox games, it's necessary to have them, because you'll only find a few of these games that can be updated without any sort of a hitch. I'm also familiar with the early access model, which is different, because there you get a more than enough for a demo chunk of content, which will most likely change in the finished version but sometimes can be buggy. I have an EA for Baldurs Gate 3 currently and had for Divinity 2.

If your beta got leaked from a small select group that you have for this purpose, ignore the last paragraph of course, but I advise you to purge the leaker, since it will cause only problems on the long run.

Have a good day as well. :)
Okay, then I need to explain it:
1st: Yup, we have a calendar with events, but most of them do not affect on the story at all (maybe only at the start, like "win 1 duel", but only for a mechanic introduction). Our calendar is some sort of time skip\fast travel - so u can teleport right to the needed character without "hide-n-seek".
2nd: All our mechanics (duels, mini-games, house competition) are completely optional things for some extra content. They are not hard tbh, but if you are a little bit lazy you can skip them and focus on routes
3rd: If u face some bug in the beginning - pls just report, we could miss smth
4th: Bugs happens even in big companies, we are doing our best

Hope this will helps :)

Reactions: Ahchi and HogRocket

sailboat

Apr 15, 2020
Bear in the Night did you take a look at the bug I reported some post ago? It seems quite strange, because I was able to check the Char Info tab just before the adventure in the forest with mushrooms people. After that, I was not able to check the Char Info tab (exception).

This means that since the mushrooms adventure no Char Info are available. Do you need more info about the bug? The stack trace posted is enough?

Bear in the Night

Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Bear in the Night did you take a look at the bug I reported some post ago? It seems quite strange, because I was able to check the Char Info tab just before the adventure in the forest with mushrooms people. After that, I was not able to check the Char Info tab (exception).

This means that since the mushrooms adventure no Char Info are available. Do you need more info about the bug? The stack trace posted is enough?
Hey thanks for the report!
Yup, got it. Will check it

Ahchi

Forum Fanatic
Jul 17, 2020

Unlocked

Greetings, dear witches and wizards!

Today we want to brag about something special:
Our programming wizard has leveled up and learned a new spell!
His unique ability can turn a perfectly 99% almost ready-to-release build into a buggy mess!
Alas, we've learned this the hard way and now we need a little bit more time to reverse this tricky spell! We're very sorry for this inconvenience. We promise you, this won't take long.

But even though technical errors try to stop us, we're rapidly moving forward. All the details in our weekly dev blog:
  • created 57 renders for the main story
  • retouched them to perfection
  • created 1 location for the academy
  • created 1 new animation
  • finished story for Audrey's quest scenes.
  • finished story for Haley's quest scenes.
As you can see, no problem can stop us. As always, we want to thank you for all your support and interest. This makes us stronger and better.
Sincerely,
Bear in the Night.

Ahchi

Forum Fanatic
Jul 17, 2020
His unique ability can turn a perfectly 99% into a buggy mess.

WIMP ! The British "Army Catering Corps" (ACC) has been doing that since at lease 1975 ! :p

(Ex Wedgehead, [Sapper] )

• Haha
Reactions: Bear in the Night

kzaazul

Aug 4, 2020
Bear in the Night

I downloaded the latest version on this site, but my saves weren't found. Also, seems like I can't "Auto" the text.

Did engine change? If so, can you enable "auto"? I'm okay with fast forwarding until around the part where we get to free roam, just don't wanna have to play it all, since I've already done so.

Edit: btw maybe it's a problem with my PC, I wanted to check but forgot to mention that XD

Ahchi

Forum Fanatic
Jul 17, 2020
Bear in the Night

I downloaded the latest version on this site, but my saves weren't found. Also, seems like I can't "Auto" the text.

Did engine change? If so, can you enable "auto"? I'm okay with fast forwarding until around the part where we get to free roam, just don't wanna have to play it all, since I've already done so.

Edit: btw maybe it's a problem with my PC, I wanted to check but forgot to mention that XD
Please note that you can not "Skip" scenes/dialogue until it has been played through at lease once.
( you said No saves, so I assume that you started a new game)
I have notice recently on a few other (Renpy) games that saves appear to be missing.
I now transfer the saves across before deleting the old version of the game.

Last edited:

Hornyowl

Jun 4, 2020

Unlocked

Greetings, dear witches and wizards!

Today we want to brag about something special:
Our programming wizard has leveled up and learned a new spell!
His unique ability can turn a perfectly 99% almost ready-to-release build into a buggy mess!
Alas, we've learned this the hard way and now we need a little bit more time to reverse this tricky spell! We're very sorry for this inconvenience. We promise you, this won't take long.

But even though technical errors try to stop us, we're rapidly moving forward. All the details in our weekly dev blog:
  • created 57 renders for the main story
  • retouched them to perfection
  • created 1 location for the academy
  • created 1 new animation
  • finished story for Audrey's quest scenes.
  • finished story for Haley's quest scenes.
As you can see, no problem can stop us. As always, we want to thank you for all your support and interest. This makes us stronger and better.
Sincerely,
Bear in the Night.

Could we get a large render of the fairy?

Raynor1989

Nov 22, 2020
Is it just me or is the game folder missing in the 0.2.2b download? I tried MEGA - - WORKUPLOAD downloads for win/linux but in each of them the game folder is missing as is the game launcher. Is it possible to fix this?

Last edited:

Nerttu

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
Is it just me or is the game folder missing in the 0.2.2b download? I tried MEGA - - WORKUPLOAD downloads for win/linux but in each of them the game folder is missing as is the game launcher. Is it possible to fix this?
It`s just you !!!!! Only games !game" folder is over 1.5 GB, so that sould tell you something, when you download the zip file !!!! (y)

Last edited:

kxjoh32

Jun 4, 2017
Wow.. just.. Wow.. The animations are phenomenal. Beautiful renders and voice overs. I've only gotten on the train thus far. This is looking to be a great game.
Thanks so much for sharing :)
Would type more but the game seems to be pulling me back in.

5/5 ⭐'s so far

• Red Heart
Reactions: Bear in the Night

Bear in the Night

Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Wow.. just.. Wow.. The animations are phenomenal. Beautiful renders and voice overs. I've only gotten on the train thus far. This is looking to be a great game.
Thanks so much for sharing :)
Would type more but the game seems to be pulling me back in.

5/5 ⭐'s so far
Hey!
Could I ask you to post your review also in the "review" section? :)

3.80 star(s) 163 Votes