VN Ren'Py Lyla's Curse [v0.1.52] [Voodoo Monkey]

4.10 star(s) 20 Votes

Back

Aug 3, 2017
Got the public version from Patreon the other day and gave this a go. First off, that opening audio track is pretty catchy! I must admit, I dig the music there. Regarding that, I found these regarding them: , . Unfortunately, they seem inactive on them. It's sad to see that they have zero patrons on their Patreon. Perhaps more gaming developers can inquire about them and pay them directly to place some of their music into their games. After all, that appears to be their goal. Anyhow, as I said, I really dig the music on the title screen. I'm listening to it right now as I type this post, in fact. As I understand it, it's a custom piece specifically made for this game.

So far, I'm enjoying the game. I'm still on my first-run for this version and have only encountered a few bugs such as the error when checking the shelves behind Piezo in the Shady Wand. (Fortunately, in that instance the player can safely Rollback or Ignore it without any apparent negative effects.) The art and the game text are pretty good. I especially like the sneer-like expression of Lyla as it reminds me of Hannah of Rat Queens, but some of the close-up shots like when she's struggling to get the collar off is, uh, straight up goofy-looking. I thought it was great that "Bhob Teh Konstructor" is so large that he can't even be seen in his entirety on the screen, lol; and, Chibi Lyla makes me think that there might be some trainer/job simulation in the game's future (if it's not aleady present in the game). However, the CGs that I liked the best aren't even any of the sex scenes or nude shots or the like, but rather the awesome haymaker and the ground-and-pound followup that Lyla unleashed on a certain someone. Bad~ass. That was brilliant!

The writing and humor is expected and on par from when I last played the game--some dark humor; some deadpan. Mostly it's a fun read and gave me a chuckle here and there. Thankfully, this isn't in "Engrish" and that's very fortunate since it is, after all, a visual novel. Grammatical errors, misspelled words, or the omission of words doesn't happen all the time or on every other screen. (Thank goodness!) The errors that are in the game are fairly minor and doesn't contain plot critical omissions; however, they should be corrected so that the game has a more polished feel.

The game is pretty fun so far. The art, the story, and surprisingly, even the audio is up there compared to other adult VNs made in Ren'Py. I hope we all get to see this game really take off in the future; I'm looking forward to see what @VoodooMonkey has in store for Lyla next. Whelp, I'm gonna head back into the game here shortly. Hopefully, I didn't spoil anything for anyone as they read this post. Hasta luego, guys and gals! XD

Ankhesenamun

Dec 17, 2017
Oof, what a breath of fresh air! Different from most games in this forum, great art, funny jokes, good english, there was a lot of time and sweat put into this! Much respect to Voodoo, hope this gets a lot more attention than it currently does

I'm just afraid it's too ambitious, I've seen consuming games being abandoned over and over, let's hope this is not the case

Reactions: deluges and Back

HolyMolly

Oct 30, 2018
I agree, the fundations of this game are extremely good, I haven't seen a game with such a nice balance between the lewd stuff, the humor, the cute scenes: everything is nicely mixed together and it all works. Lyla's Curse could easily be the best game of the adult genre, all it needs is more content at this point.

Reactions: victkh

Brkn Hvn

Dec 11, 2018
Got the public version from Patreon the other day and gave this a go. First off, that opening audio track is pretty catchy! I must admit, I dig the music there. Regarding that, I found these regarding them: , . Unfortunately, they seem inactive on them. It's sad to see that they have zero patrons on their Patreon. Perhaps more gaming developers can inquire about them and pay them directly to place some of their music into their games. After all, that appears to be their goal. Anyhow, as I said, I really dig the music on the title screen. I'm listening to it right now as I type this post, in fact. As I understand it, it's a custom piece specifically made for this game.

So far, I'm enjoying the game. I'm still on my first-run for this version and have only encountered a few bugs such as the error when checking the shelves behind Piezo in the Shady Wand. (Fortunately, in that instance the player can safely Rollback or Ignore it without any apparent negative effects.) The art and the game text are pretty good. I especially like the sneer-like expression of Lyla as it reminds me of Hannah of Rat Queens, but some of the close-up shots like when she's struggling to get the collar off is, uh, straight up goofy-looking. I thought it was great that "Bhob Teh Konstructor" is so large that he can't even be seen in his entirety on the screen, lol; and, Chibi Lyla makes me think that there might be some trainer/job simulation in the game's future (if it's not aleady present in the game). However, the CGs that I liked the best aren't even any of the sex scenes or nude shots or the like, but rather the awesome haymaker and the ground-and-pound followup that Lyla unleashed on a certain someone. Bad~ass. That was brilliant!

The writing and humor is expected and on par from when I last played the game--some dark humor; some deadpan. Mostly it's a fun read and gave me a chuckle here and there. Thankfully, this isn't in "Engrish" and that's very fortunate since it is, after all, a visual novel. Grammatical errors, misspelled words, or the omission of words doesn't happen all the time or on every other screen. (Thank goodness!) The errors that are in the game are fairly minor and doesn't contain plot critical omissions; however, they should be corrected so that the game has a more polished feel.

The game is pretty fun so far. The art, the story, and surprisingly, even the audio is up there compared to other adult VNs made in Ren'Py. I hope we all get to see this game really take off in the future; I'm looking forward to see what @VoodooMonkey has in store for Lyla next. Whelp, I'm gonna head back into the game here shortly. Hopefully, I didn't spoil anything for anyone as they read this post. Hasta luego, guys and gals! XD
Thanks for the support man! I'm going to upload the song to Spotify and YT. Thanks! :D Brkn Hvn Out!

• Wow
Reactions: Back
Jul 7, 2018

Status Update! Almost There Finally :)
Hey Everyone! I hope your weekend has been great. I've got some great news!
Mark your calenders for next Monday (2019-07-08).
I'm confident I can call this update complete and ready to send out by then to patrons. Now I need to go to bed and continue the hump tomorrow.

kleper666

Game Developer
May 9, 2017
I downloaded the game again after a lot of time(maybe 2 years?!) and there's nothing new also with many bugs, I hope that update is worth it because I like this game a lot...

HolyMolly

Oct 30, 2018
Update is planned for today, surpised you encoutered bugs as my playthrough has been completely bug free

For the first time ever I decided to support something on patreon wich is this game, yes the updates are slow but I'm convinced that the develloper of this game is very talented and dedicated and deserved more support in order to have a better workflow for this game.

I'm sure it is way harder to push content for this game than it is for pretty much any other H game out there, take a look at the amont of work the dev is doing on his patreon: from 3D rooms work to drawing everyting from scratch.
Keep in mind that a game like GGGB is mostly made trough tracing of pictures and stuff + doesn't have any envinnemments what so ever.

Last edited:
4.10 star(s) 20 Votes