Man of the House Troubleshooting Help

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Hi, my copy of the game isn't running correctly. After I launch it, the Unity screen appears, disappears, and then black screen. I checked the task manager, it shows zero activity, stuck at 56,1 Mo of RAM.
It's the same for every version I have, does anyone know why it's happening or how to fix it?
What operating system do you use?

Reactions: Thermophob

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Then, why did the previous versions cease to work too?
What I meant is, your user account on your OS, or game doesn't have permission to write in folder where you extracted game originally. How you ended with such situation, I don't know. Maybe it was Windows update which messed with permissions, just a guess.
You moved to other folder, and it works now. Presumably, game executive file has rights to modify folder where it is now.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
What I meant is, your user account on your OS, or game doesn't have permission to write in folder where you extracted game originally. How you ended with such situation, I don't know. Maybe it was Windows update which messed with permissions, just a guess.
You moved to other folder, and it works now. Presumably, game executive file has rights to modify folder where it is now.
Yeah, I think there's two locations (maybe more, I don't know) in Windows 10 - root (C:\) and the desktop - that doesn't allow write permissions. So if the game is extracted to either of those locations, you won't be able to launch the game or save your game.

The game needs to be extracted to its own location; such as c:\MotH or C:\Man of the House for example..

Reactions: Thermophob

fireboy01

Jul 26, 2017
Hello
]The Game came very slow and heavy on virtualbox running windows 7 32bit
host is linux

on linux ubuntu games not working fine
1- change windows or desktop game came black screen using WineHQ
2- videos not working in linux using wineHQ

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Hello
]The Game came very slow and heavy on virtualbox running windows 7 32bit
host is linux

on linux ubuntu games not working fine
1- change windows or desktop game came black screen using WineHQ
2- videos not working in linux using wineHQ
Well, I am guessing your ubuntu is 64 bit. Problem is that game is 32 bit afaik. When it is run by Wine, it asks fro gstreamer-ugly, and it asks for 32 bit version. At current moment, you can not install 32 bit gstreamer-ugly and gstreamer-bad on 64 bit Debian-based systems. Problem is Debian maintainers are lazy to fix dependency hell, which they caused. Anyway, it will wait to next version of Debian, and few versions of Ubuntu. I think in 17.04 it was possible to install..
You have few options:
first install vmplayer and then Windows 7 in it. I recommend 64 bit. You must install windows updates. Then game should run fine. You must give it at least 2 giga of ram and 512 of video to your guest system. Install vmware aditions, and enable 3d acceleration. You must enable it in vmplayer gui, and then type in terminal:
Code:
gedit ~/.vmware/preferences
Find line:
Code:
mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = "FALSE"
and change FALSE to TRUE. If there is no line, add it. Of course with TRUE.
Your host windows will get acceleration, game will recognise your resolution, and it will be rather fast.
If you have any further questions, ask me.
I will try to help.
You can also try vbox, but 3d acceleration is still experimental there.
You can recompile gstreamers, but it's painful.
Maybe try some Linux with full multiarch support for gstreamers.

Reactions: fireboy01

fireboy01

Jul 26, 2017
Well, I am guessing your ubuntu is 64 bit. Problem is that game is 32 bit afaik. When it is run by Wine, it asks fro gstreamer-ugly, and it asks for 32 bit version. At current moment, you can not install 32 bit gstreamer-ugly and gstreamer-bad on 64 bit Debian-based systems. Problem is Debian maintainers are lazy to fix dependency hell, which they caused. Anyway, it will wait to next version of Debian, and few versions of Ubuntu. I think in 17.04 it was possible to install..
You have few options:
first install vmplayer and then Windows 7 in it. I recommend 64 bit. You must install windows updates. Then game should run fine. You must give it at least 2 giga of ram and 512 of video to your guest system. Install vmware aditions, and enable 3d acceleration. You must enable it in vmplayer gui, and then type in terminal:
Code:
gedit ~/.vmware/preferences
Find line:
Code:
mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = "FALSE"
and change FALSE to TRUE. If there is no line, add it. Of course with TRUE.
Your host windows will get acceleration, game will recognise your resolution, and it will be rather fast.
If you have any further questions, ask me.
I will try to help.
You can also try vbox, but 3d acceleration is still experimental there.
You can recompile gstreamers, but it's painful.
Maybe try some Linux with full multiarch support for gstreamers.
the version of game 0.7.6 was working fine on windows with good speed
but after update new version the game came slow and winehq have issue with new versions

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
the version of game 0.7.6 was working fine on windows with good speed
but after update new version the game came slow and winehq have issue with new versions
Update windows on your virtual machine. There is iso of windows 7 with all updates installed, up to June 2018. Game *will work* there.

iceguy96

Jun 21, 2017
I followed all the steps (applied them to wineskin instead of staging, running Mac) and get the error "Failed to initialize graphics. Make sure you have DirectX 11 installed have up to date drivers for your graphics card and have not disabled 3d acceleration in display settings. IntializeEngineGraphics failed." Any ideas on how to fix that?

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
I followed all the steps (applied them to wineskin instead of staging, running Mac) and get the error "Failed to initialize graphics. Make sure you have DirectX 11 installed have up to date drivers for your graphics card and have not disabled 3d acceleration in display settings. IntializeEngineGraphics failed." Any ideas on how to fix that?
Since devenum installs DirectX9, I think that's it. Try wine stagging. It works on Linux without need for DirectX.

atlanticjim

Feb 14, 2018
I have been through all the troubleshooter pages but cannot solve this problem.
Since 7.9 the exe wont start
I have
  1. deleted and downloaded a new copy and tried to run it without changing any files (mapping or saves)
  2. extracted to C: instead of the J: external drive (I have always run it from the external without a problem)
  3. Updated Win10.
  4. Run as administrator
Despite this, still will not start.

1player

Feb 18, 2018
I am getting i little bit tired of these animations not working,
2 updates ago i had the problem of getting a black screen when animations were supposed to appear.
I downloaded every windows update i could find (incl optional), then updated my graphics card drivers, set the option "disable screen optimisation" on the game .exe, and finally got the animations to work. (Oh before all this i first tried the "webm direct show and k-lite" suggestion but this didn't work)
So i skipped one update and now wanted to play the 0.8 version and i get the same shit all over again with the black screen when animations are supposed to appear.
I think it may be caused by the Windows update to version 1803 because that is the only thing that changed on my system since i last player MotH.
So again i spent 2 hours updating my system with the same process described above and searching this thread for help but i can't get it to work.
I have a laptop with a windows 10 home x64 OS version 1803 an AMD R5 graphics and AMD R7 graphics (i don't know how this works) see attached file.
Ant help will be greatly appreciated! graphics.PNG

maxihell

Aug 19, 2017
Hello friends i have problem with resolution on my pc which using windows 8 32bit. I can't even see the phone clearly on the game .....its half.

RLoooading

Mar 26, 2018
i updated, and restarted my laptop and it still wont play, wtf do i do now? im using windows 7 32 bit

maxihell

Aug 19, 2017
The game run's well on win 7, 8 and 10 smoothly with my PC I3 GT 220. I think there could be other problem for those couldn't run it and oh for my issue above i already found solution were just create custom resolution and then launch the game so the graphic/resolution would be fit.