youpla

May 9, 2017
Any news, simply curious.
On the discord, the last concrete new is a picture from 28th of November 2020, which was a preview for Chapter 2.
After that, there were only pictures for King's Tales series, up to... 20th of September 2021 ! (much more teasers, actually)

Now, and while the dev has said he's looking for a writer and a photo editor (I don't know anymore if it is for King's Tales or MBF, the communication is as lame as it seems), he claims he's helping in doing arts for A Ciri/Witcher Fallout theme game.
What a great organisation !

... Seriously....:cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

It's well known, alas, that some developers can't focus on one thing at a time. But there, it's rather obsessive. It reminds me of this Dev :

This guy was never able to finish at least ONE project. He jumped from one idea to another, from one comic to one game, from one game to another idea, without caring to end anything. He could go one full year, almost two, without giving anything to his followers.
What happened ? He lost all (or almost all of) his patreons (people are not stupid), gave a lame excuse for dropping his projects ("my life has changed, I don't have the time anymore", yeah yeah yeah...) and has never given any news since then.

The same thing will happen here, I'm pretty sure of it.
AdultKing has seen this thread, let's have no doubt about that. Even more when he took the time to post on this "Ciri/Fallout whatever" topic no later that this Sunday, 26th of September 2021.
The fact he doesn't give a proper answer, or even yell at people like me who are seriously sceptical about the future of Man's Best Friend, means two things :
- He doesn't have preview or anything to show.
- He doesn't care about MBF anymore, to the point of not wanting to talk about it.
- He knows people who think like me are right, and doesn't have a proper answer.

I think Admins should go with an "Abandoned" tag. The shorter jokes are the best ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: purif and brittC25

AdultKing

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Announcement Time

It’s been a while since we have made a big announcement for the team’s first big project, Man’s Best Friend.
I know many of you have been disappointed in the recent silence, especially in the lack of updates.
Still, it has proven to have a resilient following and reception despite the many problems we have faced as our first foray into things.
All the confidence and encouraging words meant a lot to all of us. Which is why I want to say this first: MBF is NOT dead.
That is not to say that everyone will be excited by every part by this announcement (no immediate content update), but I really want to emphasize this.
This really was a collective effort that the team had personal interest/drive in. Even though it was my first game, I learned a lot and built a strong team (minus a coder for the longest time, unfortunately).
Then Patreon gutted us, twice. We could not reference it at all on f95, and our revenue dried up rapidly (to all those that stayed and those that moved to SS, you were lifesavers and have kept us alive!).
Then one team member who was getting chemo contracted covid. Then I contracted covid myself. If anything, it has been disheartening for us too.
We have not gotten the funds to consistently hire a coder to help or to upgrade my hardware to improve the quality of the game.
The rest of the team had also been strictly volunteers, with busy lives.
Because of all this, after some time, we have realized that we could not only limp along like we had been.

That is why currently, Episode 2 is being remade in Unity. This is both because the coder that I have finally found (yay!) is best in unity, but I also believe this platform will help things move forward more smoothly.
The team and I are also talking about working on reworking the game so as to tighten up the plot progression, address the speed of corruption for some characters, and just fix all the mistakes of learning in trial by
fire (the continually changing Rex fur renders, the failed free roam attempt from Episode 1, etc.).
If we do end up working in this regard, there will be no major changes to the game itself (general plot and most importantly, favorite characters) but will be us trying to address rookie mistakes rather than ignore them.
Additionally, I still do have a revenue issue. Patreon really did gut us, and this is the main reason why you have seen King’s Tales update and not MBF.
It really, really helps build our resources up, allows us to better engage with individual subscribers, and can allow us to work on MBF with the right resources. So currently,
MBF is focused with the move to Unity, and then we plan to move fully back into expanding MBF.
I am hoping that we will also secure this coder for the project long term, allowing us to continue making and improving things like King’s Tales while not hurting the progression of MBF.

As always, we would love to hear your feedback and (constructive) opinions on this. We will not disappear on discord or SS especially (f95 can be a bit more spotty for the team but we still try to read it every so often).
Sincerely,
AdultKing’s Games and Comics

REGUser

Jul 5, 2018
Announcement Time

It’s been a while since we have made a big announcement for the team’s first big project, Man’s Best Friend.
I know many of you have been disappointed in the recent silence, especially in the lack of updates.
Still, it has proven to have a resilient following and reception despite the many problems we have faced as our first foray into things.
All the confidence and encouraging words meant a lot to all of us. Which is why I want to say this first: MBF is NOT dead.
That is not to say that everyone will be excited by every part by this announcement (no immediate content update), but I really want to emphasize this.
This really was a collective effort that the team had personal interest/drive in. Even though it was my first game, I learned a lot and built a strong team (minus a coder for the longest time, unfortunately).
Then Patreon gutted us, twice. We could not reference it at all on f95, and our revenue dried up rapidly (to all those that stayed and those that moved to SS, you were lifesavers and have kept us alive!).
Then one team member who was getting chemo contracted covid. Then I contracted covid myself. If anything, it has been disheartening for us too.
We have not gotten the funds to consistently hire a coder to help or to upgrade my hardware to improve the quality of the game.
Because of all this, after some time, we have realized that we could not only limp along like we had been.

That is why currently, Episode 2 is being remade in Unity. This is both because the coder that I have finally found (yay!) is best in unity, but I also believe this platform will help things move forward more smoothly.
The team and I are also talking about working on reworking the game so as to tighten up the plot progression, address the speed of corruption for some characters, and just fix all the mistakes of learning in trial by
fire (the continually changing Rex fur renders, the failed free roam attempt from Episode 1, etc.).
If we do end up working in this regard, there will be no major changes to the game itself (general plot and most importantly, favorite characters) but will be us trying to address rookie mistakes rather than ignore them.
Additionally, I still do have a revenue issue. Patreon really did gut us, and this is the main reason why you have seen King’s Tales update and not MBF.
It really, really helps build our resources up, allows us to better engage with individual subscribers, and can allow us to work on MBF with the right resources. So currently,
MBF is focused with the move to Unity, and then we plan to move fully back into expanding MBF.
I am hoping that we will also secure this coder for the project long term, allowing us to continue making and improving things like King’s Tales while not hurting the progression of MBF.

As always, we would love to hear your feedback and (constructive) opinions on this. We will not disappear on discord or SS especially (f95 can be a bit more spotty for the team but we still try to read it every so often).
Sincerely,
All I read was 2 steps forward and 2 steps back. How many times do you want to remake the game? How about main content > then remaster/rework when the game is done. It's better to just get your ideas out on paper than to try and perfect the tools that it sits on since no one gives a crap (honestly, it's the END product people care about) this is also why you lack subs for your game. Your short Tale's is easier and quicker for you to produce but don't be fooled by the illusion of progress, this route will take you forever to achieve the goals you want to achieve and further frustrating your fanbase with your "2 steps forward, 2 steps backwards" approach to work. You're literally dancing around in a circle and you've not said anything in that post to suggest that you are making a comeback other than the usual BS of "we're working in the shadows...trust us fam." as all devs say, when you've not given us a reason to believe you in the first place.

In this world, you are judged on the merit of your WORK not what you are going to do. You can talk about what you want to do after you have built up a rapport with your community and shown proof of work (which atm is hanging on by its hinges). Honestly, the best thing for you to do is just get out content and stop trying to be a perfectionist, they tend to be the biggest procrastinators. You can remake you game on every single game engine under the sun after you've finished the game as most devs do to continue their revenue stream.

Side note and a personal one, I am glad you recovered from COVID, no one deserves this shit and I hope you feel better but getting back to your job...this is just pathetic...The over "positive" tone you wrote this in really doesn't sit well with me when you actually read what you have said.

I was hoping for more...

Last edited:

BOBJevent

Feb 23, 2020
AdultKing My suggestion would be: delete that post and takeout the excuses and tell us where you are headed. that's all we ask, from there people can decide whether to support or drop the game? You have talent but some of your business choices seem to drift in too many directions, pick one and stick with it.

• Angry
Reactions: Ted-E.
Mar 10, 2018
AdultKing My suggestion would be: delete that post and takeout the excuses and tell us where you are headed. that's all we ask, from there people can decide whether to support or drop the game? You have talent but some of your business choices seem to drift in too many directions, pick one and stick with it.
Stating what happened does not mean it's nothing but an excuse. Explaining the issues that the team has faced does not equal trying to wash our hands of the difficulties themselves or the end results. For instance, we didn't say "we never had enough funds so that's the only reason we have never updated, sucks to be yall." Instead, we attempted to say this was a major cause (revenue) and this is what we've done (found a coder so that using KT as a way to fund MBF does not consume so much of King's time).

As to your question, as is stated in the announcement:

Conversion of MBF to Unity (currently in progress, eta should be able to be announced soon)
Continuation of King's Tales (but taking much less of the team's overall time, largely due to getting a coder and paying the writer)
A rework of some large rookie mistakes/plot issues (in discussion, we want to do this but we did ask for opinions since perhaps these issues are just more pronounced to us)
Updates to MBF (are moving forward again in development and we can give a more clear announcement once the coder is done with unity. Until then giving a time frame is not fair to anyone and would most likely only lead to further disappointment and frustration)

AD is not a business person. We in the team are not business people. If we were, I highly doubt we'd be making a game with this subject matter. We are people who genuinely have a vested interest in this ourselves. It doesn't magically fix our mistakes nor mean we won't make any moving forward, but it means we want to work to improve things.

Fuxxzz

Dec 26, 2018
Announcement Time

Sincerely,
Are you sure porting the game to Unity is the right idea? I don't want to be pessimistic but what would happen if you end up without a coder again? Unity uses C# and that is a bit more complicated to understand than the basic Python Ren'Py uses. Would you take over as coder again or would the game go into hiatus until you found a new programmer?
Also I know you guys have the best intention but people give money after the devs show them the content. Your main revenue right now is King's Tale and people are not going to give money just for telling them you have great ideas for an update that didn't come in 9 months. Have you guys tried to put less resources into the game and when the revenue gets higher, gradually use more? As you can see from a lot of other games, their first update/release usually looks a lot worse than their last one. I know the idea of a high production game from the start is appealing and could draw a lot of attention but doesn't really seem to be working. You also need to consider that SS is a lot less used than Patreon so you need to adjust your ideal revenue. A lot of people don't really trust SS and honestly, not being able to use Paypal is one of it's biggest drawbacks. I support someone through there but I still feel a bit unsafe having my CC data there.
Anyways, as a side note I'm glad you and your team recovered from covid. That shit took my uncle away and I know how horrible getting it is.

Mar 10, 2018
Are you sure porting the game to Unity is the right idea? I don't want to be pessimistic but what would happen if you end up without a coder again? Unity uses C# and that is a bit more complicated to understand than the basic Python Ren'Py uses. Would you take over as coder again or would the game go into hiatus until you found a new programmer?
Also I know you guys have the best intention but people give money after the devs show them the content. Your main revenue right now is King's Tale and people are not going to give money just for telling them you have great ideas for an update that didn't come in 9 months. Have you guys tried to put less resources into the game and when the revenue gets higher, gradually use more? As you can see from a lot of other games, their first update/release usually looks a lot worse than their last one. I know the idea of a high production game from the start is appealing and could draw a lot of attention but doesn't really seem to be working. You also need to consider that SS is a lot less used than Patreon so you need to adjust your ideal revenue. A lot of people don't really trust SS and honestly, not being able to use Paypal is one of it's biggest drawbacks. I support someone through there but I still feel a bit unsafe having my CC data there.
Anyways, as a side note I'm glad you and your team recovered from covid. That shit took my uncle away and I know how horrible getting it is.
That is quite a fair point. I can't speak for AD, but so far the coder appears reliable and in case something does happen in that regard, the game would continue somehow. I'll talk with him about that to make sure we do have fallbacks. The adoption of Unity is letting us better implement some things we have wanted to do for awhile, so I think we are still pretty sure in our move as is

madman11122

Aug 15, 2017
This is a unique game and I'm excited the dev and team are still working on it. I'm not a fan of unity but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth as they say. Best of luck king, as a fellow man of culture I'll be eagerly awaiting the next release.

Barley

Oct 19, 2020
If you can find something possitive from those not-so-friendly messages do it, if not.. who cares? You keep it up guys, it's your game and you can do whatever you want with it. If people likes it and can, they will support. I'am supporting a few developers here and there with what I can on Patreon. I've suscribed on SS for now, but not sure how long I can hold it but don't feel discouraged and keep up the good work

_13_

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2020
This is a unique game and I'm excited the dev and team are still working on it. I'm not a fan of unity but I won't look a gift dog in the mouth as they say. Best of luck king, as a fellow man of culture I'll be eagerly awaiting the next release.
I fixed that for you.

• Haha
Reactions: madman11122

astar

Feb 4, 2018
First of all thanks for keeping us updated. Renpy or unity or whatever, a good game is a good game and as for that your game is really good and unique up to now. So good luck with your project I will stay and wait for the next update whenever you are ready and you can proceed with it. So much drama from some guys with no reason at all. They are talking shit for a game that they probably downloaded free from here. So just shut up guys and wait for the next update patiently, I don't believe that all you are waiting in life is the next update of the game and you are so devastated by waiting. He has a vision , a story so let him do his job and wait.

fkrfxr

Nov 9, 2019
Never before on any other site have I read so many whiners and complainers. Make a real statement something constructive do not just bitch. I love this game and will wait till a new version comes out. every post that is a worthless bitch, kinda like this one, does nothing but waste the devs time. 5 min that could be spent on the game but no you have to put your 2 worthless cents in and waste time.

4.20 star(s) 49 Votes