VN Ren'Py Abandoned Master Rune [v0.3] [LizardsFromSpace]

4.60 star(s) 17 Votes

jamyong

Jun 9, 2022
This game has been sitting in my downloaded folder for a couple months now and on a whim I finally decided to try it out.

Absolutely sublime.

The writing thus far has been top tier and the characters are all super intriguing. I’m loving how fleshed out the magic system is and the still as of yet mysterious lore surrounding what happened 14 years ago. I also quite enjoy how unabashedly powerful Rune is. I think so many authors try so hard to stray away from the Superman problem of making their MC a cliche level of powerful that it has become refreshing to see a MC who really just seems completely unassailable. The unmitigated power fantasy is nice

But besides that, Shiro and Yui are early candidates for best girl to have ever existed and I need more of them immediately. Here’s hoping that 0.4 is close to being completed. I’m probably gonna have to become a supporter on Patron because this game deserves way more attention than it has currently gotten.

jamyong

Jun 9, 2022
Sorry for double posting but does anyone have any recommendations for other games with a similar level of writing? Besides Lessons in Love or Sensei Overnight, which are the two that immediately come to mind for me

Alex5280

Sep 3, 2020
Sorry for double posting but does anyone have any recommendations for other games with a similar level of writing? Besides Lessons in Love or Sensei Overnight, which are the two that immediately come to mind for me
I posted a few recommendations on the previous page, but I would add to that list How I Became the Bodyguard of the Saintess.

bluemonkey

Mar 16, 2018
My Maid Dream of Electric Sheep
You can edit your save to have enough money. The game just had it's second update so there isn't much content, but what's there is really good.

Also, Randel Tales (good renpy rpg), Maeve's Academy (magic school), A Better Place (great characters), Crimson High (instead of a teacher you're a detective at a school), and My Dystopian Robot Girlfriend (you have a robot girlfriend in a dystopian city setting). Or Broken Dreams if you want more of a Lessons in Love vibe.

jamyong

Jun 9, 2022
My Maid Dream of Electric Sheep
You can edit your save to have enough money. The game just had it's second update so there isn't much content, but what's there is really good.

Also, Randel Tales (good renpy rpg), Maeve's Academy (magic school), A Better Place (great characters), Crimson High (instead of a teacher you're a detective at a school), and My Dystopian Robot Girlfriend (you have a robot girlfriend in a dystopian city setting). Or Broken Dreams if you want more of a Lessons in Love vibe.
Gonna check out My Maid right now, thanks! I'm a big fan of Crimson High already and I'm waiting for the next update for Broken Dream

Jul 24, 2022
Master Rune
Version: 0.3
Type: VN - Heavy Story
Content: Medium
Pacing: Slow - Steady
Plot line: Main Charm of The Game - MC's Magic Master Killed - Becoming Student - Finding Neverknown Happiness
Setting: MC disciple => war machine - Magic Academy - Church - Vampires - Supernatural

Character Models: Amazing
Personalities: Badass - Bold - Shy - Weird - etc.

Music: Awesome
Animation: Unbelievably Good

Note: Top-tier writing, story, character realisation and setting
Thoughts: WoW nailed it. Amazing work. Don't let this dev rush his work.
The guy is a magician. Every category reached Main Charm of The Game imo...

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
Yeah no updates even on Patreon so makes you wonder if this is another dropped game.

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
This is the first time that writing of non-JP VN that actually "wow"ed me.
Very interesting philosophy and thought process of the MC.
The author/dev seems to really believe the whole "living the idealized version of the role" for the MC and wrote out the whole game based off of it, which is very impressive to say the least.
Really reminded me of the "Fruits of Grisaia" series.
I can't wait to see how this story turns out.

One last thing to note:
I really think the only downside of this game is the front page art.
Looks and feels way too generic VN with low budget.
It's not necessarily bad, but I will certainly say that it did not intrigue me to want to play the game.
I'm sure it will attract much more players if you improved on this at some point.
Still, that's something minor, and I would still rate this game 5/5.
Thanks for the kind words. As for the front page art, you're absolutely right. I've always thought it could be better, but after remaking it a few times and realizing I'm a complete novice at graphic design and Photoshop, I put it on the back burner.

I've been planning to redo it again for a bit. Even thought about commissioning an artist to make something simple, but I guess I don't like that it would feel like accepting I can't do something lol.

Edit: I made a new banner thingy. It's probably better.

Last edited:

sgooter

Apr 20, 2020
Thanks for the kind words. As for the front page art, you're absolutely right. I've always thought it could be better, but after remaking it a few times and realizing I'm a complete novice at graphic design and Photoshop, I put it on the back burner.

I've been planning to redo it again for a bit. Even thought about commissioning an artist to make something simple, but I guess I don't like that it would feel like accepting I can't do something lol.

Sup Lizard, just wanted to say thanks for all the work
New banner looks good too

AmIaRobot

Nov 15, 2020

Yes, this art is definitely more intriguing!
I can't wait to play the completed version of your game!

bobdango

Dec 25, 2020

For the love of god PLEASE make the pauses a single ... and one click to move on. Every time one of these moments of silence shows up I feel like it's a filler episode of a damn anime.

Be happy I didn't make separate posts for each of those to hammer my point home more.

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018

For the love of god PLEASE make the pauses a single ... and one click to move on. Every time one of these moments of silence shows up I feel like it's a filler episode of a damn anime.

Be happy I didn't make separate posts for each of those to hammer my point home more.
Well...
You'll be happy to know I've already done an editing pass and removed some of the excessive pauses. I realized it was a bit annoying during my own testing.

Henceforth, let it be known all pauses indicated by a single ellipses are no more and no less than the exact length appropriate to cause maximum dramatic effect. Any failing of this infallible system lies solely with the reader's imagination, because I am a lizard. Only a crazy person would blame their problems on a lizard.

So mote it be.

Last edited:

bobdango

Dec 25, 2020
Well...
You'll be happy to know I've already done an editing pass and removed some of the excessive pauses. I realized it was a bit annoying during my own testing.

Henceforth, let it be known all pauses indicated by a single ellipses are no more and no less than the exact length appropriate to cause maximum dramatic effect. Any failing of this infallible system lies solely with the reader's imagination, because I am a lizard. Only a crazy person would blame their problems on a lizard.

So mote it be.
You are wonderful! Thank you so much!

4.60 star(s) 17 Votes