VN Ren'Py Abandoned Master Rune [v0.3] [LizardsFromSpace]

4.60 star(s) 17 Votes

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
I hope we get to meet "Female Student"
You can actually see her sleeping in Zahra's room if I remember correctly. I definitely wasn't going to give her a model at first, but I wanted the game world to feel like it had more people in it than just the main characters, so all the mentioned students got modeled. Made the hot springs scene possible too.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: hofom77573

DraxisSilencer1000

Aug 26, 2020
You can actually see her sleeping in Zahra's room if I remember correctly. I definitely wasn't going to give her a model at first, but I wanted the game world to feel like it had more people in it than just the main characters, so all the mentioned students got modeled. Made the hot springs scene possible too.
I knew it that she is an actual character, not just a mook! You made the two guys from the fight be introduced in the hot spring after all.

Jul 31, 2021
Not going to lie and I do hope this doesn't come off as offensive to the author but this game's writing and characters had no business being this good. This blew my expectations out of the water, here's hoping for more quality updates in the future. Cheers.

Reactions: LizardsFromSpace

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
Not going to lie and I do hope this doesn't come off as offensive to the author but this game's writing and characters had no business being this good. This blew my expectations out of the water, here's hoping for more quality updates in the future. Cheers.
These kinds of comments are spoiling me. <3

You've got a point though. Master Rune is closer to a traditional JP VN than most indie western releases which seem to focus primarily on the sexual content aspect. It's definitely possible I'm aiming at the wrong demographic here, but hey, it's what I like and I'm having a blast making it. I may never reach the popularity of some of the bigger titles around, but the amount of amazing feedback I've gotten is already pretty overwhelming for me lol.

Assuming I choose to make another game after Master Rune, I'd definitely do it in an engine that would let me publish the game on more platforms (steam, etc.) to reach a broader audience.

Niuul

Jun 25, 2022
This is actually very good, and I love the quippy dialog from the MC. Only complaint is not being able to rename the MC, even if in a "new life new name" kinda way. But that's incredibly minor.

Reactions: tobias_knight

Soulpuppet

Sep 10, 2020
This is actually very good, and I love the quippy dialog from the MC. Only complaint is not being able to rename the MC, even if in a "new life new name" kinda way. But that's incredibly minor.
I agree. Would love to have a rename.

Alex5280

Sep 3, 2020
Does this new update require starting over to see the new content? My game ends where I saved from the last release. Right after the handjob from Shiro.

Last edited:
Reactions: MD27

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
Okay, well I started a save from the end of 0.2 and the game just ended without any new content.
That's odd. When you click About on the main menu, does it say version 0.3 at the top? Also, would you mind telling me which download link you used and where exactly your save was?

Edit: Thinking about it some more, I can see a potential problem with the way I coded the jump to the end screen. The same end screen is used at the end of the new content as well, so if you saved on the end screen itself the game may just automatically jump you past the new stuff. If that is indeed the case, I may have to find a better way to jump to that screen in the future to avoid this problem. For now, I'd recommend loading a slightly earlier save to see if that fixes it, or simply turning on skip unread text in the options and holding ctrl to speed back to where you were from the beginning. It should only take a minute or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex5280

DraxisSilencer1000

Aug 26, 2020
As far as I know, it shouldn't require a new save.
This actually happened to me, I have a save just after the fingering scene and it just immediately ends up on the title screen after it. What I did is just rollback right around the start of the fingering scene, skipped all the way and continued through the new update.

MD27

Feb 28, 2020
Just like last comment, had the same error happen to me. Probably due to where we saved last, was able to play through using some of the lasts automatic saves but kept trying to see what was the problem and had them overwritten. Anyway, don't mind starting over again.

On the other side, loved the style, I saw you mentioned the influence of JPN VNs and it shows, specially those weird dream interludes where all sorts of random characters show up doing their part as reporters and random stuff happen haha, some people might not get them.

Alex5280

Sep 3, 2020
That's odd. When you click About on the main menu, does it say version 0.3 at the top? Also, would you mind telling me which download link you used and where exactly your save was?

Edit: Thinking about it some more, I can see a potential problem with the way I coded the jump to the end screen. The same end screen is used at the end of the new content as well, so if you saved on the end screen itself the game may just automatically jump you past the new stuff. If that is indeed the case, I may have to find a better way to jump to that screen in the future to avoid this problem. For now, I'd recommend loading a slightly earlier save to see if that fixes it, or simply turning on skip unread text in the options and holding ctrl to speed back to where you were from the beginning. It should only take a minute or two.
Yeah, it says 0.3. I downloaded the gdrive and tried the pixeldrain as well. I still had the 0.2 download on my PC, so I copied the save files over from that.

I tried a few autosaves, but they still ended in the same spot. Ended up starting over and fast forwarding to the end of 0.2 and that seemed to fix the problem.

Jimskeleton

Nov 9, 2020
Also had the same problem as others, had to restart to see the new content, not that it's a massive problem.

The update was awesome, really loving this so far, not often I find a likeable MC and completely different personality to what you normally find on here, some of the interactions are just funny as fuck, keep up great work.

Jul 31, 2021
Also had the same problem as others, had to restart to see the new content, not that it's a massive problem.

The update was awesome, really loving this so far, not often I find a likeable MC and completely different personality to what you normally find on here, some of the interactions are just funny as fuck, keep up great work.
Agreed, I'm pretty positive that out of every game I've played on this site there's only like 3 MCs that I have come to adore. Rune, Janu (Sensei Overnight) & Sensei (Lessons in Love).

Ullysse

Jun 26, 2017
Does this new update require starting over to see the new content? My game ends where I saved from the last release. Right after the handjob from Shiro.
You just need to load a save a bit older. Maybe there were a end-of-content flag at the scene of the handjob, I don't know, but don't you definitly don't need to start over.

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
Loved it so far. Is harem planned? It will fit naturaly.
Glad you enjoyed it. Harem is definitely not a no. However, I'll say it's gonna take some finagling on my part to make it work. I've been in a polyamorous relationship IRL, and I'll tell ya, that shit was all drama all the time. I can't even imagine being in a relationship with 5+ people simultaneously. That, and I'm just not a fan of quick, everybody-is-totally-cool-for-some-reason harems, so if I'm gonna do it I'd like to try doing the concept justice. Not to say it should or would be all melodrama or anything, but most normal people have barriers against the very idea of sharing their partner, so the writing should at least somewhat reflect that imo.

I've already thought this might be a good use for the chaos/discipline system in the future. Perhaps maintaining a 50/50 ratio will unlock the harem path or something. Chaotic enough to fuck multiple women... disciplined enough to fuck multiple women... makes sense to me.

4.60 star(s) 17 Votes