VN Ren'Py Abandoned Master Rune [v0.3] [LizardsFromSpace]

4.60 star(s) 17 Votes

m4pII

Jun 22, 2019
I don't know what inspired the author, but the personality of the MC, the elements of horror, the "happy event", slightly crazy girls, the sarcastic tone of the dialogues, the atmosphere of the game, etc... personally, it all reminds me of Lessons of Love.

And that's a compliment)
I just hope that MC doesn't turn out to be the same immoral asshole as in the mentioned game.

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
I don't know what inspired the author, but the personality of the MC, the elements of horror, the "happy event", slightly crazy girls, the sarcastic tone of the dialogues, the atmosphere of the game, etc... personally, it all reminds me of Lessons of Love.

And that's a compliment)
I just hope that MC doesn't turn out to be the same immoral asshole as in the mentioned game.
I won't say Lessons in Love wasn't an inspiration as far as the horror stuff is concerned. I haven't written a whole lot of horror, and I've been wanting to explore it for awhile now. Especially in a medium where I have more creative expression (visual/audio). I do agree the protagonist was almost unbearably immoral at times, though.

As far as the characters, well, a major theme in the game will be overcoming trauma. I've dealt with a lot of mental illness in my life(myself and those close to me), so it naturally comes out in pretty much everything I write. If it says anything, my favorite character from LiL by far was Rin. Super relatable.

Not to say the game is going to be overly tragic or anything. The goal is to write believable romance/dating elements with some story stuff happening on the side. I just think the lows of drama contrast well with the highs of fluff, allowing those moments to shine even brighter.

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
"I was thinking it'd be nice if I never saw home again."

Oh boy... scene removed.
Hey, sorry you're not feeling the remake. I'm mostly of the opinion the scenes are better with what few things I cut, but there were a few things I was sad to see go. As far as Rune dialing back on his emotional... presentation? Availability? I can't think of a word right now, but anyway... that was intentional.

Whatever feelings he had during that moment are definitely still there, likely buried beneath layers of crap. It just seemed a little too seriously introspective for him to share this early when he's already shown to be reluctant to speak about himself in pretty much any capacity. I'll say that line was originally intended to spark a bit of a conflict between Zahra and Rune, so it's not entirely unlikely that whole plot will play out similarly to how it was originally planned, but we're still in the whole "Meet and Greet" phase of the story, so I didn't want to blow my load too early.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback.

ScentedElf

Jan 9, 2020
I've honestly never ever so much as considered posting on any forum or game before this. However, I just genuinely wanted to tell you dev that you've got one hell of a start here. I can see some aspects which I could imagine are probably inspired from other well known games on here but any theme or idea you took you did well to make your own. The writing was one of the most pleasant to read in a while. The way you present the characters flows really smoothly although I will say it does seem like everyone has an edge to them out of the characters fleshed out thus far. So the only word of caution I'll offer is to avoid every character being mysterious and with some edge that I'm sure the player will eventually overcome to reveal a soft side. Having a character who lacks these traits can be a great way of improving the way you represent the ones who have them as well as they can act as something of an antithesis if you have for example some bubbly, carefree girl who lacks some hidden agenda (although I know you mentioned trauma is a big theme for the game so she could still be acting this way to help her cope with something serious if need be). That is just an example though. The main thing I wanted to say is that I genuinely hope you stick to this. I realize starting is never easy, but the fact that you've gone so far as to remake the first copy shows you care about this project and with what you've made so far, if this quality is maintained, I think this could become one of the next big games in this genre. It sure as hell has the potential.

Also, just another small suggestion, I know some people in the future would appreciate a walkthrough uploaded alongside the game giving a very clear cut cause and effect of the choices made or since this game clearly has two main personalities of the mc you can lean into any choices that would lead to the best ending if there is one planned. I think this could also be a useful tool for you as it'd be a good record of all the possible routes/points a player could have gathered at any point in the game. At the moment I am not fully sure what the difference between pink and blue is exactly in the terms of the mc's personality but I am curious to find out!

In any case best of luck! Keep up the good work!

nhwbhasnbci

Nov 24, 2021
Minor spoiler warning ahead for version 0.2

Damn good game if I've ever seen one. I usually don't play games that just released but the reviews here made me want to play it immediately. I can say with confidence that this is one of the few games that I don't skip dialogue on and the number of games that I can say that about are under 10 so great job on that end! The game itself is also good, simple VN style that I can enjoy. Even though I can say I don't get scared easily, the raptor in bed got me good I almost shouted in surprise because of the scene right before it (The really really weird dream). The character designs are pretty damn good. Before even starting the game I already liked Yui simply because of her design and personality wise I like Nana's character (gotta say tho, her hair design got me a little confused. Like how does the back part of her hair brown with green ends and the front half being blonde with pink/purple ends. Not a complaint or saying its bad but after meeting her I was thinking on it for a while after I finished the current build of the game) And the story? It is very intriguing. Like who was Rune's master and why is his title "The Warden"?, Why does Shiro not really know who she is, and why is Riley watching llamas? Anyways too much rambling on my end but the TLDR is: Good game, good story, great characters, and interesting plot. Keep up the work and really hope more people find out and try the game themselves.

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I wasn't sure how people would respond to the game since it's story heavy, but the reception I've gotten has been extremely positive. Really makes my day.

As for dev updates, I'm still spending probably too much time working on this thing, so it's definitely coming. There's a WIP preview on my of the next two characters who will most likely be joining the cast soon. (No paywall or anything.)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The Pie Rat

Aug 26, 2021
Was going through the itch.io for this game, and saw that there's a Discord server that's currently a WIP -

Just thought I'd share it here.

Reactions: LizardsFromSpace

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
Dev needs to explain in game about the Blue/Red choices and how they will affect the game. I see they stand for Discipline and Chaos from change log but not sure how it will play. Before change log I thought it was more dominance/seflish because if you had 5 than you slapped the one girl on the butt.

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
Updated Android port. Nothing too fancy but let me know if you have any issues.

Version: 0.3
Size 297 MB

This unofficial port/version is not released by the developer, download at your own risk.

(if it gives you a .zip, just rename it as .apk)

Appreciate my porting? Leave a Tip! You're supporting my efforts, paying for storage, and encouraging more ports!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OR

Last edited:
Reactions: Coomer528xai

LoneRanger11

Jul 3, 2020
Master Rune 0.3
rpdl torrents are unaffiliated with both F95Zone and the developer of this game.
If you run into issues please use this thread or join us on !

We're crowdfunded, !​

jhustrue

Mar 3, 2020
Is this one gonna be a sandbox like LiL? I liked that game for a little bit but navigating in that game is so tedious.

Reactions: Abagofbabies

Leelaverse

May 24, 2021
Absolutely killing it with the game my dude! But I've already simped hard enough for this game on the discord haha, great lengthy update, and once again you have me desperately wanting more. You have a really good gift with story writing in my opinion, completely captivating.

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
Is this one gonna be a sandbox like LiL? I liked that game for a little bit but navigating in that game is so tedious.
Probably not. I wasn't a huge fan of having to click around for eternity to guess where to go next either. Especially when it's only really providing the illusion of choice in the first place.

As of right now, the plan is to give different paths/endings based on your level of chaos/discipline, but it remains to be seen just how deep that branching system will go.

4.60 star(s) 17 Votes