darius25

Jun 26, 2019
Ehh, from what i can see people are asking just to be able to keep all their pokemons. So that's 15 or so slaves... plus probably few randomly generated ones for training and sales once that's in, so round that up to 20?

This is hardly beyond abilities of twine/sugarcube -- you can find games even on this site which run simulations with 100+ npcs. And yes, they're browser games using the same engine.
i mean there was free cites a soild game even after all these years

Reactions: cuchulin

madchef

Jan 10, 2020
Ehh, from what i can see people are asking just to be able to keep all their pokemons....
Not only. One player complained recently that they cannot fully engage in slaving trade and slave-based economy. And he was right, the game so far is not about running a slave enterprise. As another player pointed out:

"I dont see any reason to limit your slaves at all...its only a coders problem, not logistic, not logic, just coding nightmare since they need space, food and a schedule on who sleeps with you, could be auto picked the ones who performed best each day or you need a big orgy bed for the best performers and a few bedrolls for the worst..."

So, there are some wishes for the game to be not only about having manly adventures and collecting playthings to love and torment.

And if you're referring to FC as an example of a great HTML based econo-simulator with lewd content capable of managing +100 NPC then I have to disagree. The static nature of text-based game dealing with a supposedly dynamic theme of running a business makes for a mediocre experience. You're just clicking through walls of text, micromanaging this or that until your eyes get tired. Your competition is imaginary, some other freecities appearing only in end of week reports, so there's very little sense of actually competing against anyone. Does a twine/sugarcube engine allow for creation of AI players whose intelligence and agency is not expressed through some random or criteria-triggered events, but are moving pieces in a playthrough, the way that AI players in Civ merchandize actually build their own civilizations, grow cities, expand territories, produce, move troops and all that jazz?

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
Not only. One player complained recently that they cannot fully engage in slaving trade and slave-based economy. And he was right, the game so far is not about running a slave enterprise. As another player pointed out:

"I dont see any reason to limit your slaves at all...its only a coders problem, not logistic, not logic, just coding nightmare since they need space, food and a schedule on who sleeps with you, could be auto picked the ones who performed best each day or you need a big orgy bed for the best performers and a few bedrolls for the worst..."
I've included the slave trade in the calculation in my reply; realistically i'd guesstimate no more than 5-10 of such slaves (for the total amount of 20-25 slaves in the household) since more than that and it becomes quite difficult to keep track on individual characters, their training goals etc. Not to mention simply not enough time in the game day to take care of them all.

The other player's quote is a bit misleading when you take it out of context -- while they've said that, they've also specified what sort of gameplay they had on mind, which was simply having some slaves working at stores, and some keeping the household running (cleaning, hunting, raising crops etc) Couple dozen characters should be quite sufficient for it in practice, there's no need for UNLIMITED SLAVE WORKS.

And if you're referring to FC as an example of a great HTML based econo-simulator with lewd content capable of managing +100 NPC then I have to disagree.
No, i was actually completely unaware such game existed. The game i had on mind was Accidental Woman (which am not saying is particularly good, as it suffers from bugs and poor design decisions, but it does implement large procedural semi-active NPC body count)

Does a twine/sugarcube engine allow for creation of AI players whose intelligence and agency is not expressed through some random or criteria-triggered events, but are moving pieces in a playthrough, the way that AI players in Civ merchandize actually build their own civilizations, grow cities, expand territories, produce, move troops and all that jazz?
Yes, any functional programming language will allow this; i'd offer Unholy Arts as a working proof of this concept -- it pits your character against a handful of NPCs who compete with you using the same tools and mechanics you're given. They're pretty much independent and move around the map and interact with one another according to their own personalities and strategies.

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
That button is labelled "Prostitution Ring" in the game code. So most likely management screen for prostituting your slaves, which is supposed to be implemented in v.0.8.1

ThisKuro

Feb 16, 2020
Good game. Just a few things:

-Game is too grindy even for "beginner" mode. The grind isn't for me so I just save edited to increase the money and the attributes. Basically, give myself a baseline to actually be able to fight enemies well and be able to break slaves at will.

-I wish that the dev focuses more on the existing slaves' renders and stories rather than adding new slaves. In a game like this, no matter how much the quests go deep, I would imagine that the end goal for most players is to have a house full of slaves anyway so why not prioritize enriching the existing slaves first?

-As some have mentioned, increase the slave cap. There's never enough space for some people who just don't want to let go of anyone.

-I love how each slave has an interesting background. However, I think it's a wasted opportunity if it's not further explored in dialogues and sex in the form of "special dialogue" when they reach a certain status such as but not limited to:

+Rebecca/Aria (initially rude, strong willed, and rebellious) having special dialogue when they reach devoted/broken/cum-slave willpower status.
+Piper/Amelia (naturally sub) having special dialogue when they have high willpower.
+Caitlin/Lovisa/Juno/Rebecca (Pure/Vanilla) having special dialogue when they reach high corruption or get "Perverted" trait.

Anyway, I like the direction that the game is headed. These are just my insights as to what might be overlooked at the moment.

ShinCore

May 19, 2020
Hey GD. What are the economics of taking this to Steam? It's one of the few lewd games with enough depth to justify the work imo. You and your team work quickly enough that a cheap purchase + DLC modules would see some interest. And maybe a subscription access model similar to Paradox's EU4/CK3/HOI4?
i dunno if Grim has already answered this, but its not THAT hard. especially now that steam doesnt seem to care that much about content anymore.

i have expressed my personal opinion to him though. i think he should post it on steam as a free demo. its only $150 to list a game on the platform. and then just keep the current sub model thru SSA (maybe patreon as well. they are a bit more iffy due to the content of the game. offer subs for extra content, but the base game remains free for everyone.

while a small portion of players contribute financially, the volume of free players means that there is a steady stream of bug reports/player feedback, something that is vital to an solo indie developer like Grim.

and just to clarify, its just Grim. a few of us volunteer time and effort because we like the game (and Grim). but the overwhelming majority is all Grim's effort.

ShinCore

May 19, 2020
Well, Strive for Power is on this site and does pretty much all what you describe Masters of Raana might have one day (with exception of marriage, iirc) If you were to compare them, where would you say this game pulls ahead? Little quests it had at the start were pretty nice, but ~2 weeks in the game bulk of this custom content appears exhausted, save for couple gated behind rather daunting amount of "socializing" grind. The game also imo shoots itself in the foot by creating a poorly thought-out setup where it asks you early on to raise 35k money in just a few weeks, which harshly discourages any sort of spending... including, ironically, buying slaves, improving your house and making investments that'd take months just to break even; making the overall experience rather limited and dull.
clarification: the $35k has no timer on it. that has been a common misconception that the date given was a deadline. i think Grim already fixed that in the latest version.

also, i played the shit out of S4P and Conquest. after awhile, the non-uniques become nothing more than drones in my eyes. you end up chasing the story content for some variety. its a good game, but when i hit 50 slaves it became a chore to keep up with the micromanagement.

its also got multiple years of development. this game barely has one.

GD-studios

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2021
Good game. Just a few things:

-Game is too grindy even for "beginner" mode. The grind isn't for me so I just save edited to increase the money and the attributes. Basically, give myself a baseline to actually be able to fight enemies well and be able to break slaves at will.

-I wish that the dev focuses more on the existing slaves' renders and stories rather than adding new slaves. In a game like this, no matter how much the quests go deep, I would imagine that the end goal for most players is to have a house full of slaves anyway so why not prioritize enriching the existing slaves first?

-As some have mentioned, increase the slave cap. There's never enough space for some people who just don't want to let go of anyone.

-I love how each slave has an interesting background. However, I think it's a wasted opportunity if it's not further explored in dialogues and sex in the form of "special dialogue" when they reach a certain status such as but not limited to:

+Rebecca/Aria (initially rude, strong willed, and rebellious) having special dialogue when they reach devoted/broken/cum-slave willpower status.
+Piper/Amelia (naturally sub) having special dialogue when they have high willpower.
+Caitlin/Lovisa/Juno/Rebecca (Pure/Vanilla) having special dialogue when they reach high corruption or get "Perverted" trait.

Anyway, I like the direction that the game is headed. These are just my insights as to what might be overlooked at the moment.
Thanks!

Almost everything on this list is planned in future updates, so stay tuned! :)

I have a heavy render and quest focus on existing slaves atm. Got a bit distracted by all the Stretch goals but they're nearing completion.

Increased slave cap can be expected in the 0.8.2 release, which also introduces random slaves.

• Red Heart
Reactions: ThisKuro

ShinCore

May 19, 2020
just wondering other than going around murdering people and doing quest any other ways to make money that i might have missed?
one guy spent all his time drinking and gambling. made a good living at it. hunting is more viable now. so is gardening/food trading. slave training/trading will be viable soon. prostitution is coming out next major update.

however, you currently can generate a good amount of money of having your girls work at the academy/arena/performing.

ShinCore

May 19, 2020
Hmm... I suspect that accepting reality isn't especially high on the list of reasons people visit this site, much less play a game about managing slaves on an alien planet.
Here I thought he was kidding, I chuckled when I first read that--anyone else?
im not kidding. after playing free cities and strive 4 power and s4p conquest obsessively at different times. ive found that micromanaging more than a handful of slaves makes the interactions less enjoyable. in fact, if im not mistaken the corporations expansion in free cities was born partly out of the drive to reduce the amount of slaves a player needed to manage to be able to min/max his income, and abstracted it so player focus could return to individual interactions with his slaves.

trying to micromanage too many slaves makes things... impersonal. forgettable. disposable. in my opinion.

ShinCore

May 19, 2020
Still, this is not a slave economy simulator some players would like this game to be and HTML format is not best suited for such genre.
its coming along. keep in mind that Grim is self taught, and is still learning. its not his profession, its a hobby that grew over the course of just under two years.

he still has a way to go, and is improving his knowledge and skills as we play the game and provide him with feedback.

ShinCore

May 19, 2020
Ehh, from what i can see people are asking just to be able to keep all their pokemons. So that's 15 or so slaves... plus probably few randomly generated ones for training and sales once that's in, so round that up to 20?

This is hardly beyond abilities of twine/sugarcube -- you can find games even on this site which run simulations with 100+ npcs. And yes, they're browser games using the same engine.
yah its doable, for sure. grim will get there.

4.50 star(s) 117 Votes