MeLovely Games

Creating Mating Season
Game Developer
Sep 29, 2021
LoveOS Games
It's almost odd that someone needs to tell you.

But the folder "Mating Season_BurstDebugInformation_DoNotShip" inside your produced output after packaging IS NOT MEANT TO BE SHIPPED.

It includes debugging information and in some cases data that can actually be used for unwanted purposes.
The latest version doesn't have that folder anymore =)

MeLovely Games

Creating Mating Season
Game Developer
Sep 29, 2021
Me to. The game DOES NOT LOAD the save. It just "freezes" on a black screen.
Game version - 0.0.12f. Launched the game, started a "new game", saved, exited the game. Launched the game again, continue, black screen with "perpetual loading".

Here is log file -
Hi, thanks for the report.

The problem with loading save file is fixed on v0.1, the latest patreon version (it's a stable build).

Reactions: LoneWolfen

dfxtent

Jan 12, 2018
It's exceptionally rare that a game sparks enough of my interest to drag me out of the lurker's void, but this one shows a lot of promise. Even in its early stages, there's a solid foundation here I really like. So LoveOS Games, for what it's worth, some constructive feedback:
  • Breeding mechanics are overall quite positive. Advancing the stat points seems to work well, and I love that breeding reinforces traits (muscular I + muscular I = offpsring, muscular II for example). Gives a feeling of actual progress to breeding.
  • Figuring out which pairs improve what stats was a little puzzling at first. Best suggestion would be adding "+" to the affected stat lines in the UI when setting up breeding, makes it very easy to tell who's improving what when they do the deed.
  • I'm disappointed that 'Breeder' stats didn't change at all even after spending the skill points to improve. Or that they're stuck at '1' by default. I realize the point is to encourage monster breeding, but it'd still be nice to make your PC a viable option, despite their lack of traits.
  • I beg of you, please discard [Tired] and just use stamina bar instead. I'm sure you have future plans already for items or permanent enhancements that will improve mating ability and let them go more than once a day, but even in this early build, it was a dreadful nuisance.
  • Sometimes monsters would vanish from the fenced in area; as a stopgap at least, I'd love to see a UI menu somewhere on the farm that allows you to assign breeding pairs without having to run up to one of the monsters in question. If both went missing, then you're just SOL.
  • Capturing monsters... kinda sucks. It took me far too long to figure out how to throw a collar at them, and even with the lock-on ability, I missed far too often due to range or being unable to 'lead' my target while locked. Throwing from 'stealth' was even worse, since being zoomed into the bushes meant firing blind half the time. As for success rates, I know it's supposed to be a flat 70% but it sure didn't feel that way, and it was totally unclear to me why captures would fail even when I remained 'undetected' and lock-on was green. Even worse, you only get one chance - fail, and they'll just stare at you while you waste throwing more pokeballscollars at their head. Unless physics decides to catapult them into the next county for some reason (happened a few times).
    • Being honest: there's nothing about the current capture system I like. But if this is the direction the project will continue to use, some suggestions to make it more tolerable:
    • Over-the-shoulder zoom for aiming. When in stealth, make nearby shrubs partly transparent. Don't block the player's view, under any circumstance.
    • Allow multiple capture attempts. Don't make me leave that rare spawn behind after the first try fails.
    • Disable physics (maybe with a time-slow?) on targeted monster. Mostly so they don't go blasting off like Team Rocket after getting winged by a collar failure.
    • UI improvement: one of those 'aiming' line-arcs to show where the collar's going to go/land. Figuring out range was a lot of guesswork.
    • Include a capture tutorial in your LoveOS NPC on the farm. Infinite collars and tries. Let us get used to the mechanic before wasting real materials in the field.
    • Personally, for all its grindy faults, I think this is one spot where BotN does it better (via either "wild sex" or an item option), but I think Mating Season stands a better chance of getting that mechanic "right" and making it fun to use, rather than a dull slog watching progress bars for 30 seconds.
  • I know assets are in an early state and subject to change, but man do I love the little neko chirp SFX you have currently. So damn cute.
  • Wish-list: allow PC to have a 'favorite' monster, separate from the barnyard rabble. I see Dating Sim/Romance in the to-do lists, but personally I'd rather clothe and keep a tamed neko than bother with the townsfolk.
Hopefully you find some of that helpful or useful, and I'm thankful to see you taking an active part on these boards (sign of a good dev, IMO). Overall, I'm impressed and hopeful for this project and look forward to seeing it continue.

Draupnir7

Sep 3, 2020
this possibly must go to reviews
The brave put their reviews in the thread to be discussed.
Besides, it's as much feedback as it is a review. And I think feedback does better inside the normal thread, especially with a dev who spends time in the thread fielding criticism and talking with people.

MeLovely Games

Creating Mating Season
Game Developer
Sep 29, 2021
It's exceptionally rare that a game sparks enough of my interest to drag me out of the lurker's void, but this one shows a lot of promise. Even in its early stages, there's a solid foundation here I really like. So LoveOS Games, for what it's worth, some constructive feedback:
  • Breeding mechanics are overall quite positive. Advancing the stat points seems to work well, and I love that breeding reinforces traits (muscular I + muscular I = offpsring, muscular II for example). Gives a feeling of actual progress to breeding.
  • Sometimes monsters would vanish from the fenced in area; as a stopgap at least, I'd love to see a UI menu somewhere on the farm that allows you to assign breeding pairs without having to run up to one of the monsters in question. If both went missing, then you're just SOL.
  • Capturing monsters... kinda sucks. It took me far too long to figure out how to throw a collar at them, and even with the lock-on ability, I missed far too often due to range or being unable to 'lead' my target while locked. Throwing from 'stealth' was even worse, since being zoomed into the bushes meant firing blind half the time. As for success rates, I know it's supposed to be a flat 70% but it sure didn't feel that way, and it was totally unclear to me why captures would fail even when I remained 'undetected' and lock-on was green. Even worse, you only get one chance - fail, and they'll just stare at you while you waste throwing more pokeballscollars at their head. Unless physics decides to catapult them into the next county for some reason (happened a few times).
    • Being honest: there's nothing about the current capture system I like. But if this is the direction the project will continue to use, some suggestions to make it more tolerable:
    • Over-the-shoulder zoom for aiming. When in stealth, make nearby shrubs partly transparent. Don't block the player's view, under any circumstance.
    • Allow multiple capture attempts. Don't make me leave that rare spawn behind after the first try fails.
    • Disable physics (maybe with a time-slow?) on targeted monster. Mostly so they don't go blasting off like Team Rocket after getting winged by a collar failure.
    • UI improvement: one of those 'aiming' line-arcs to show where the collar's going to go/land. Figuring out range was a lot of guesswork.
    • Include a capture tutorial in your LoveOS NPC on the farm. Infinite collars and tries. Let us get used to the mechanic before wasting real materials in the field.
    • Personally, for all its grindy faults, I think this is one spot where BotN does it better (via either "wild sex" or an item option), but I think Mating Season stands a better chance of getting that mechanic "right" and making it fun to use, rather than a dull slog watching progress bars for 30 seconds.
  • Wish-list: allow PC to have a 'favorite' monster, separate from the barnyard rabble. I see Dating Sim/Romance in the to-do lists, but personally I'd rather clothe and keep a tamed neko than bother with the townsfolk.
Hopefully you find some of that helpful or useful, and I'm thankful to see you taking an active part on these boards (sign of a good dev, IMO). Overall, I'm impressed and hopeful for this project and look forward to seeing it continue.
Thanks for the feedback! It's always a pleasure to read a very well though-out review like this.

• Figuring out which pairs improve what stats was a little puzzling at first. Best suggestion would be adding "+" to the affected stat lines in the UI when setting up breeding, makes it very easy to tell who's improving what when they do the deed.
Great idea! I'll implement this for our next version.

• I'm disappointed that 'Breeder' stats didn't change at all even after spending the skill points to improve. Or that they're stuck at '1' by default. I realize the point is to encourage monster breeding, but it'd still be nice to make your PC a viable option, despite their lack of traits.
This is actually a bug and it's fixed on the latest stable version, v0.1 (Patreon build)

• I beg of you, please discard [Tired] and just use stamina bar instead. I'm sure you have future plans already for items or permanent enhancements that will improve mating ability and let them go more than once a day, but even in this early build, it was a dreadful nuisance.
Right now it's very early gatekeeping mechanic - we're still figuring out a good formula for this + still rebalancing the game.

Capturing monsters... kinda sucks.
This is actually a big focus for the current development of the game - a better catching mechanic. We're developing better monster AIs, multiple catch attempts, throwing trajectory, and more.
Disable physics: This is fixed on v0.1, it's a bug lol
For tutorial mode: You can actually use cheat to gain infinite collar from LoveOS NPC in front of your farm.

• I know assets are in an early state and subject to change, but man do I love the little neko chirp SFX you have currently. So damn cute.
Really appreciate the feedback for this!! I love the neko SFX too, when the game is developed further we'll add more monster SFXs for better immersion :D

leechurch

Oct 28, 2020
@LoveOS Games i'm not sure what happened, but when I went to upgrade barn size, the game screen ended up staying black. And whilst it was black a save occured, so when I relaunch the game I'm stuck in a black loading screen.

3.10 star(s) 18 Votes