2.30 star(s) 3 Votes

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
Never thought I'd ever see 'Merle' used as a girl's name. Other than Merle Haggard, I knew a guy named Merle.
I then googled this, and Merle Norman showed up. ....the more ya know...

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Never thought I'd ever see 'Merle' used as a girl's name. Other than Merle Haggard, I knew a guy named Merle.
I then googled this, and Merle Norman showed up. ....the more ya know...
Could be worse. There's a lady named Benedict in Mushoku Tensei. According to Google, Benedict means " a newly married man who has long been a bachelor "

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
Could be worse. There's a lady named Benedict in Mushoku Tensei. According to Google, Benedict means " a newly married man who has long been a bachelor "
Well, there is a general trend that male names often (over a long time) become female names. It probably starts from the "We're having a boy so only thought of boy names" and when it's a girl they either create / use a feminine version IE Christopher vs Christine. Sometimes the go with the traditional masculine name anyway, and eventually some names shift. Leslie used to be considered a masculine name, but has shifted to be considered feminine, as one relatively recent example of this.

I don;t personally know of any that went from feminine to masculine, but I don't doubt that some exist as well.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Well, there is a general trend that male names often (over a long time) become female names. It probably starts from the "We're having a boy so only thought of boy names" and when it's a girl they either create / use a feminine version IE Christopher vs Christine. Sometimes the go with the traditional masculine name anyway, and eventually some names shift. Leslie used to be considered a masculine name, but has shifted to be considered feminine, as one relatively recent example of this.

I don;t personally know of any that went from feminine to masculine, but I don't doubt that some exist as well.
I don't think it's as deep as that. It's more likely that Japanese people aren't familiar with western names or naming conventions, which tends to be more evident in medieval fantasy settings. You have cases like Mash from Fate: Grand Order, who's name is supposed to be "Matthew", but someone probably realized how confusing that would sound to a western audience and changed it to "Mash", not that it's a whole lot better (lol). I'm sure there's western equivalents where they make up a name for a foreign country, and said name turns out to be something inappropriate.
Another contributing factor is that Japanese people have difficulty differentiating between certain pronunciations, like Ls and R, and the closest real name/word happens to make the name sound out of place.

AnonBone

Jul 28, 2017
Yet another game where you can't hide the text window to watch pictures and scenes uninterrupted smh.

2.30 star(s) 3 Votes