ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
Nefastus, you should probably pull the update patch as it can't be used. At least not on my updated v0.20 nor the broken ass v0.25 floating around these parts:
Code:
Exception: Could not load from archive gui.rpyc.
And while the message may look a tad misleading as gui.rpyc is in fact perfectly present inside scripts.rpa, it's actually quite accurate as can be seen by unpacking scripts.rpa:
Bash:
./MidLifeCrisis.sh
Could not load /home/<stuff>/MidLifeCrisis-v0.25-pc/game/gui.rpyc
This is Ren'Py 7.0.0 pouting because of being tasked to load .rpyc files compiled by Ren'Py 7.4.5. :geek:

That being said, thank you so very much for providing such a simple yet awesome convenience to your long time fans!
Is it not possible to decompile the file and only transfer the gui.rpy over from 7.4.5 to lower a 7.x ?

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
Hey, I am just installed a fresh version of this game and I am getting this screen? I'm I missing something? I thought it was at version 26 now. Either way, excellent work so far and I am glad that the developer is feeling well. :)
View attachment 1404276
Have the same thing popping up. Could this be a save problem, with the save gotten broken by the update (since v25 had some save hiccups too), so stopping at the end of v25?

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Working on bringing an IRL friend in the loop just in case(getting a list of good entry games to give him to feel him out before I fully introduce him to the perverse worlds we all love), but it was really an absurd coincidence that kept me from talking. Long story short, left my phone at home and didn't go back to get it cause it was going to be a quick E.R. trip for a stomach issue. Then when I realized it was going to be much more, couldn't risk sending anyone to get it because I was in the middle of my last minute test play while the game uploaded when I left. Couldn't risk a family member walking in on MC railing Hailey or one of the girls doing some dirty talk to him etc.
Well that's one downside of full-screen programs blocking screen locking I'd never thought of before!

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Donor
Compressor
Apr 2, 2019
Is it not possible to decompile the file and only transfer the gui.rpy over from 7.4.5 to lower a 7.x ?
Quite possible, but not advisable as it concers all .rpyc files.

Granted one could simply grab the also present .rpy files from the .rpa to have the game merge them into the old .rpyc files, it'll only work for the latter. As the .rpyc files for any new script file will be generated by your game, saves past the 0.25 content won't be compatible with the official release anymore.

The better approach would be to switch out the game's Ren'Py runtime. As 7.4.5 is one of the rarer beasts to find in the wild I went ahead and pulled the runtime files from it in case anyone would like to continue updating their old version:
(31.14 MB)

Hm, that's a great alternative to pulling the patch outright, Nefastus, having it deliver the runtime files, too.

Anon4321

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 24, 2017
Hey, I am just installed a fresh version of this game and I am getting this screen? I'm I missing something? I thought it was at version 26 now. Either way, excellent work so far and I am glad that the developer is feeling well. :)
View attachment 1404276
Have the same thing popping up. Could this be a save problem, with the save gotten broken by the update (since v25 had some save hiccups too), so stopping at the end of v25?
Most likely just a typo
I got the same after playing through the new content
Just make sure to make a save before the message appears and it should be fine for 0.27 when its released

Reactions: Turret

Anon4321

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 24, 2017
Nefastus, you should probably pull the update patch as it can't be used. At least not on my updated v0.20 nor the broken ass v0.25 floating around these parts:
Code:
Exception: Could not load from archive gui.rpyc.
And while the message may look a tad misleading as gui.rpyc is in fact perfectly present inside scripts.rpa, it's actually quite accurate as can be seen by unpacking scripts.rpa:
Bash:
./MidLifeCrisis.sh
Could not load /home/<stuff>/MidLifeCrisis-v0.25-pc/game/gui.rpyc
This is Ren'Py 7.0.0 pouting because of being tasked to load .rpyc files compiled by Ren'Py 7.4.5. :geek:

That being said, thank you so very much for providing such a simple yet awesome convenience to your long time fans!
Quite possible, but not advisable as it concers all .rpyc files.

Granted one could simply grab the also present .rpy files from the .rpa to have the game merge them into the old .rpyc files, it'll only work for the latter. As the .rpyc files for any new script file will be generated by your game, saves past the 0.25 content won't be compatible with the official release anymore.

The better approach would be to switch out the game's Ren'Py runtime. As 7.4.5 is one of the rarer beasts to find in the wild I went ahead and pulled the runtime files from it in case anyone would like to continue updating their old version:
MidLifeCrisis-0.26-pc_runtime.7z (31.14 MB)

Hm, that's a great alternative to pulling the patch outright, Nefastus, having it deliver the runtime files, too.
Downloaded a fresh copy from the OP, using Nopy, loaded up a save, ran into no issues, did not get any error regarding gui.rpyc

Last edited:

Xathras

Feb 3, 2020
Working on bringing an IRL friend in the loop just in case(getting a list of good entry games to give him to feel him out before I fully introduce him to the perverse worlds we all love), but it was really an absurd coincidence that kept me from talking. Long story short, left my phone at home and didn't go back to get it cause it was going to be a quick E.R. trip for a stomach issue. Then when I realized it was going to be much more, couldn't risk sending anyone to get it because I was in the middle of my last minute test play while the game uploaded when I left. Couldn't risk a family member walking in on MC railing Hailey or one of the girls doing some dirty talk to him etc.
Yeah, that might be a bit awkward. Feel you on the heart issues, had to have some work done on me a few years ago, though I didn't have complications so my stay was brief. Worst part was getting the bandage off for the incision. Nurses lie: Fast is not less painful. Or maybe I just tolerate longer periods of low-level pain better than a brief bit of agony. :eek:

Hope everything goes well and you don't have any further issues.

yamcha

Jun 23, 2018
Glad you are better, looking forward to the continuation of the story. Wishing you better health and stay safe!

Reactions: Vrijgeest

Anon4321

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 24, 2017
Hey, why do my saves don't work? Someone has simular problem?
I didn't have an issue playing from my latest save
but when it does happen, epscially if you've use the walkthrough mod in a previous version, I've found that save that don't have option as part of it usually work. or I just keep trying previous save until I find one that works.

4.40 star(s) 188 Votes