jestertlw

Nov 23, 2019
In what USA? In my USA the week starts on Monday, hence Saturday and Sunday being called the weekend. On the 7th day(Sunday), God rested. ;)
In the United States of America. You funny.

Standard calendars in the USA (and Canada) begin on Sunday and end on Saturday. If you are doing it differently, you are more the exception than the rule. But I expect that on F95.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Well, calendars may sometimes show it, and traditionally it was that way (the seventh day of the week back in the day was the Sabbath, the Saturday), and indeed in the US it officially is, but for practical purposes by now it's been superseded. If you are talking about, say, the "43rd calendar week", you meen Monday to Sunday (this year ending on Oct 31st). Granted, in most jobs there isn't much of a difference since they use Mon thru Fri. At least in international communication, ISO 8601 makes Monday the start of the week.

Edit: switched a day's name because I got confused myself, fixed a typo.

Last edited:

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
Well, calendars may sometimes show it, and traditionally it was that way (the seventh day of the week back in the day was the Sabbath, the Staurday), and indeed in the US it officially is, but for practical purposes by now it's been superseded. If you are talking about, say, the "43rd calendar week", you meen Saturday to Sunday (this year ending on Oct 31st). Granted, in most jobs there isn't much of a difference since they use Mon thru Fri. At least in international communication, ISO 8601 makes Monday the start of the week.
Sheeeeiiiit! It just got real! Referencing ISO standards!

Dir.Fred

Sep 20, 2021
IMHO FWIW IANAL

I always thought that calendars laid out the data that way just because it's symmetrical and convenient for both printing and parsing.

It was my understanding - with zero research, no wiki clicks or nuffin - that Sunday was traditionally considered the start of the week by cultures with Semitic roots. Monday was traditionally considered the start of the week by the Greco-Roman and, later, Christian cultures. 'On the seventh day' being sunday etc.

Just adding my 2c from my own little cultural backwater - sincere apologies if I've offended rather than contributed.

Don't, as the kids say, @ me, bro.

Also - I think we may be getting off topic. Not sure.

fotogaik

May 13, 2017
'On the seventh day' meaning sabbath. So Saturday. Deuteronomy: "You shall observe the Sabbath by keeping it holy, as the Lord, your God, has commanded you. You are to labor on six days, doing all of your work then. The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord, your God. "

Christianity moved the holy day to Sunday in remembrance of Resurrection, not because it was the actual sabbath/seventh day.

Chagatai Khan

Jun 22, 2020
'On the seventh day' meaning sabbath. So Saturday. Deuteronomy: "You shall observe the Sabbath by keeping it holy, as the Lord, your God, has commanded you. You are to labor on six days, doing all of your work then. The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord, your God. "

Christianity moved the holy day to Sunday in remembrance of Resurrection, not because it was the actual sabbath/seventh day.
Interesting, didn't know it changed because of that. In a number of European countries Sunday is still considered the start of the week. However like somebody pointed out already, it's not the start of the workweek. Also, in a number of European languages the word for Saturday is derived from the word Sabath (e.g. Samstag in German, Savvato in modern Greek, Subbota in Russian, etc.)

murishani

Jan 27, 2020
Also, in a number of European languages the word for Saturday is derived from the word Sabath (e.g. Samstag in German, Savvato in modern Greek, Subbota in Russian, etc.)
This is because "The Sabbath" is Saturday. Sunday is "The Lord's Day". I lost an argument about this once. Have never forgotten that distinction.

Chagatai Khan

Jun 22, 2020
This is because "The Sabbath" is Saturday. Sunday is "The Lord's Day". I lost an argument about this once. Have never forgotten that distinction.
I know the Sabbath is Saturday. That was my point, which I tried to illustrate with those examples. So I'm not sure what you were trying to say there.

Sorry for going off-topic btw

Reactions: murishani

CainKova

Feb 25, 2020
Does anyone have a Walkthrough mod? I want to avoid Sharing and Hate Path with the wife, but I want to have a harem with the daughters. I dread making a choice that shows me a sharing scene, I don't know why but I feel disgusted with NTR and sharing, it's the same thing as scat for me. Can you help a fearful friend?

Friends who like sharing, don't be mad at me, please.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: oldschool34500
4.40 star(s) 188 Votes