PenguinFuhrer

Aug 21, 2019
I don't know why everybody talks about this sort of thing like it's the dev's fault. All those payments are 100 percent voluntary. If, after two years of nothing, someone still hasn't bothered to click "unsubscribe", that's entirely on them.
I know right, BlueCats merge was supposed to be done 3 and a half years ago. PenguinFuhrer is confused with the one "OH GOD THE SUBSCRIBERS ARE LEAVING" update he did a few years ago.

Still, there are some retards still paying BlueCat. That truly is on them. How fucking stupid can you be?

Edit: 4->3 misclick corrected.
Has it been that long already? Damn. I just used the last "update" as reference to the time.

Either way, it is also "the dev's fault". Sure, it's the subs that are idiots in the first place, but an honest dev would either pause payments or shut it all down. Sadly that's not the world we live in though.

There are some exceptions of course, like Killer7 who has paused payments multiple times despite the shit they have gone through

Reactions: turgsh01 and Wlms

dorleans

Sep 10, 2021
Well, sort of isn't, but also sort of is....

A dev wanting to be 100% fair with the people backing them, in case they know they won't be able to work and update their project for a long or indefinite period of time, could suspend the payment until the time they're able to hop back on the project.
Quick and easy enough to do, and some people I do support have in fact done it, because they have some kind of morals, you know.

But well, you can also just "forget" about this possibility and, well, you get money every month so that's nice, right?

So I my view the fault goes both ways : the supporters who forget about their subscription or are willing to burn money for nothing, and the devs/creator that "forget" to put payements on hold while they're away from their project.
I think tech jargon terminology these sites use confuses the issue. Take "backer" - it's a word otherwise used exclusively to refer to an early investor in a new commercial enterprise. There's a whole slew of implied obligations and rights that simply don't exist in this context.

What you're really doing is tossing money into a busker's hat. If they leave the hat behind and you keep putting money in it, that's entirely your affair.

4.40 star(s) 188 Votes