jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
Short answer is "No". Even if we somehow knew that was what happened (and I find that a very morbid thought experiment).

Legally, of course depending on where somebody lives, but since this is published internationally, let's apply common rules, copyright in general ends 70 years after a person's death. So with anything copyrightable from this game (I don't know which parts are, but some certainly do qualify), whoever wanted to do that would not be allowed to use it unless they tracked down the descendants and got their okay to use this.

Technically, you would need to recreate all the stuff in this game, so either somehow get to his computer (see A), or get the correct assets from third party sites, find the correct slider positions and similar - doable but hard.

Most importantly however, whoever continued this game would not be Nef. Nef's style is (and I am using "is" intentionally instead of "was") pretty unique. You would need some writer to really catch the spirit and the charm of what this is all about, what makes it popular - and that's a tough to impossible task because no matter how good a writer you yourself are, you would be different and it would clash. And odds are that people who are good enough to do so would be very hesitant (unless asked by Nef himself or those close to him) because they tend to respect the works of art of others. Anybody actually trying to do so would almost certainly not understand how to do it and produce the "Oh, a boob, I have a hard thingylingy, let's go fuckyfucky" drivel from somebody who technically has a female friend because his mom likes him, that we see all over the place, without understanding the story, the characters, or anything else really.

This is Nef's work. We can hope for it to continue (second in line to "hope that he is or at least will be OK"), but if he doesn't finish it, nobody will do so.
Except...

you cannot copyright content with lolis
Making sex with the Niece breaks all legal construction and therefore no legal rights are obtained

sadly

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
The copyright stuff may or may not apply. We have no idea if Nef actually copyrighted anything about the game. The wife model, for example, is a common Daz model. As are basically all the other characters and locations. And there is a question of if the copyright, if it existed, would even be enforced. Which I personally doubt very much.

There have obviously been plenty of fan game spinoffs of other games. Even attempted continuations.

But hardly any of them, if any at all, ever become much of anything.

Because at the end of the day, nobody besides the creator knows what the game is meant to be. And eventually fans that try to continue a game will burn themselves out. They will never be as invested as the creator was in the game. No matter how much they liked the game. Nobody can replicate the style either, for this game specifically the writing style would be nearly impossible to fully grasp.

Hopefully Nef didn't go the way of Boomatica and Chatterbox, and will show up again eventually.

Reactions: sava75

K.T.L.

Keeping Families Together
Donor
Mar 5, 2019
This is all academic tbh. Without the assets he used it'd be very difficult to re-create the characters and it would be next to impossible to mimic the writing style that we all loved so much.

All we can really do is hope he's ok and returns to finish his VN.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Except...

you cannot copyright content with lolis
Making sex with the Niece breaks all legal construction and therefore no legal rights are obtained
Your mileage may vary depending on where you are but at least here even if some parts are illegal that does not prevent rights from being obtained and in theory enforceable, at least for other parts of the work/creation. Also I am not sure - may depend on legislation again - on whether Haley counts as "forbidden".

The copyright stuff may or may not apply. We have no idea if Nef actually copyrighted anything about the game. The wife model, for example, is a common Daz model. As are basically all the other characters and locations. And there is a question of if the copyright, if it existed, would even be enforced. Which I personally doubt very much.
At least over here - again - an amount of copyright is automatically granted to every creative work which meets a certain threshold of originality. You do not have to mark it or file anything with some office, it may not be copied without permission just by existing. It may just be more difficult to prove that you were there first in some cases. And, as they say, on the high seas and in court you are in god's hand, so anything might happen.

You are of course correct that any lawsuit would be extremely improbable in real life for multiple reasons.

Reactions: CircaAD and PBS666

The Wicked One

Jul 8, 2017
Oh wtf, it got abandoned??
Just to catch you up, and anyone else who may have wandered in late, quick synopsis: Early December, Nef makes his last Patreon post stating the usual "update is almost done, and sorry for not communicating more" and disappearing shortly after.
Around mid December of 2023, Nef began expressing family troubles on the official MLC Discord thread; something about them "taking advantage of him".
Mid January of 2024, he goes silent on Discord, but his Discord status fluctuated from idle to active during that time.
3 months later, still no correspondence on Discord, or the crowd funding sites, and Midlife Crisis is categorized as Abandoned as per the F95zone rules; however, his status is still online via Discord.
In May 2024, the Discord thread descends into silence from fans with the occasional conspiracy theories tossed about. And it appears someone tried calling him (not confirmed - as someone in the general thread said they tried calling him with no answer) via Discord. The next day, he is offline completely; no idle, no active, just gone.

Last edited:

dp14153

Mar 26, 2021
Watching this, Summertime Saga, and Milfs City's developments has changed the way I support these devs. Instead of a monthly patreon/subscribestar contribution, I just donate 20-25 bucks when they actually release a build.
Yep, this is like those restaurants where you pay when you order and they ask for a tip before you've gotten any service!

• Thinking Face
Reactions: SirexArango

khaelin02

Nov 30, 2017
Going to miss this one, been checking for updates for a while. I would have loved to have seen the mother join her daughters in sexy times. They teased it a bunch up until latest update, that and his sister with them... would have been fun. Kind of funny, even if she wasn't his daughter, I loved Jennifer the most.

PenguinFuhrer

Aug 21, 2019
Watching this, Summertime Saga, and Milfs City's developments has changed the way I support these devs. Instead of a monthly patreon/subscribestar contribution, I just donate 20-25 bucks when they actually release a build. We gotta stop rewarding people for no work and start rewarding progress instead. Too many games are falling into this bullshit.
Nothing compared to BlueCat though. 2 years later and still nothing and still has almost 150 people paying him.
He's getting like $120 a month from subscribestar alone and that's just 13 of those

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
In May 2024, the Discord thread descends into silence from fans with the occasional conspiracy theories tossed about. And it appears someone tried calling him (not confirmed - as someone in the general thread said they tried calling him with no answer) via Discord. The next day, he is offline completely; no idle, no active, just gone.
This "calling" theory confuses me... doesn't he have the option to block "calls"?
How does "calling" work on Discord anyway? is it like calling out on a CB Radio or more like dropping a voice message on your answer machine? (I guess receiving a bunch of abusive answer machine messages could do it)

• Sad
Reactions: CircaAD

The Wicked One

Jul 8, 2017
This "calling" theory confuses me... doesn't he have the option to block "calls"?
How does "calling" work on Discord anyway? is it like calling out on a CB Radio or more like dropping a voice message on your answer machine? (I guess receiving a bunch of abusive answer machine messages could do it)
It's not a "theory". Someone in the thread tried calling him through Discord. They had asked the Discord moderator if he had called him, or heard anything from his personal email, and he said no. To which another user said he tried calling Nef on Discord, but he go no answer. The next day, Nefastus was completely logged off.
And it works like any other chat program that has a voice chat/call functionality.
Also, I am not going to assume he was receiving "abusive answer machine messages" (but knowing some of the people on that Discord channel I wouldn't doubt it), but if I were a developer, and someone crossed that line of anonymity and tried calling me, I would log off of Discord as well. That was fucking not cool.

• Sad
Reactions: Bloodguard

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
It's not a "theory". Someone in the thread tried calling him through Discord. They had asked the Discord moderator if he had called him, or heard anything from his personal email, and he said no. To which another user said he tried calling Nef on Discord, but he go no answer. The next day, Nefastus was completely logged off.
And it works like any other chat program that has a voice chat/call functionality.
Also, I am not going to assume he was receiving "abusive answer machine messages" (but knowing some of the people on that Discord channel I wouldn't doubt it), but if I were a developer, and someone crossed that line of anonymity and tried calling me, I would log off of Discord as well. That was fucking not cool.
I didn't question that someone called him, I questioned the theory that this is the reason he cut contact!

Telling me it works like any other chat program doesn't help me dude, I don't use chat programs, much less use one to call anyone, that's why I asked. I imagine it's like in-game voice chat, where if you speak and if nobody is listening... it's gone forever!, so if he mutes chat then it's like it never happened... But if it's persistent like a answer machine message that could be a different kettle of fish (particularly if you can't filter strangers who shouldn't be trying to call you from Friends and Family who should).

You seriously think logging off for someone crossing the line by trying to contact you is reasonable?... Can you elaborate why?
Is this is a better option than just Banning/Blocking the offending member? (it's your forum after all, if someone has to go it should be the other guy)
or removing talk privileges from people who shouldn't have it? (My limited experience with Discord has shown some forums block certain functionality unless you have a specific rank, it doesn't seem like a leap to imagine you can block "calls" from everyone who hasn't earned it)

I have to believe there are things that can be done, but maybe there are flaws in the system that removes these as a viable options... Hence the entire reason for my question.

BTW you mentioned that he gave an ETA on the next release, do you know if that was a "firm" ETA or a hopeful ETA, the last post from him that I recall mentioned that he was suffering from writers block (hence the dark route currently in the OP)... Writers Block can be a real bitch to get over and it never seems to go away for long (particularly if there is other drama going on in your life).

Again for clarity's sake this post is made purely to try clear up confusion, No judgment on anyone, No sarcasm or ill will, just seeking comprehension!

4.40 star(s) 188 Votes