Unity Midnight Sin [v0.4.0 Extra] [Faerin]

4.10 star(s) 27 Votes

wd1111

Sep 26, 2021
As far as I understand, the 20 cents per install only start when you (a) make more than $200k a year with your game, (b) have 200,000 life time installs, and (c) use a lower tier of the engine subscription (otherwise the fee will go down and the threshold will go up to $1M and 1M installs).

(Also, it is only valid in some countries, but Faerin's is on the list)

I doubt that it will have that much of an influence on the adult gaming scene, although I still do not like this that much, albeit for different reasons. But the thresholds seem pretty high for this genre and, if reached, the income should be there to pay up.
this is the table I saw in one of the videos that started popping up one after another yesterday, I wasn't aware there is that 200k threshold, I wonder why they wouldn't include that in the table, just mention a threshold, but still this move from unity screams greed, probably pump and dump scheme on the stock market
Screenshot 2023-09-15 123857.jpg

Faerin

Game Developer
Jul 14, 2017
Hey guys,

Yeah,Unity is really messing up with this imo.

What's perhaps more important for medium size devs, is that they are dropping the Plus subscription ($400 a year), meaning we are forced to go for the Pro subscription ($2000 a year).

But tbh, most devs on this forum will probably not be affected by this at all (aside from Unity getting an ever worse rep and asset development and support going down as well, most likely).

The fee per install thing is just ridiculous.
And how are they going to accurately track piracy (maybe they are going to check the download counts on here ;) )? That's the thing that worries me, and I guess, a lot of devs.

Games could end up actually costing the devs money.

Umariel

Jan 21, 2019
Unity devs can simply implement "a feature", which calls back to shady server(s) after first run of a game/app,
having internet connection. On smartphones, there's a good bunch of completely legit apps, which does so on
continual basis, some w/o even telling you, like TikTok pinging your location up to 30 sec frequencies at times.
Point is, they can't force this stuff into Unity games/content, which has been completed before such a change.

MotH_like25

Aug 18, 2018
Yes, but typically they're one update behind.
Hey Sycho.
And if someone, e.g. me, started translating this game, you would adopt this language into the game so that the game could also support it. Over time, there would probably be more of these words, but I always translate them in games and maybe something like this could be added to the game from English so that Polish could also be selected. Just a question, if I had it, who should I send it to so that it could go through? Is it OK and approved? Regards.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Hey Sycho.
And if someone, e.g. me, started translating this game, you would adopt this language into the game so that the game could also support it. Over time, there would probably be more of these words, but I always translate them in games and maybe something like this could be added to the game from English so that Polish could also be selected. Just a question, if I had it, who should I send it to so that it could go through? Is it OK and approved? Regards.
Well, there is a bit of a problem with that, as you may well know... The only translations in the game are what is already established (this has been discussed in the other game threads ad nauseam), otherwise Faerin would have already included them in the games.

But thank you for wanting to do translations for the game all the same...

MotH_like25

Aug 18, 2018
Well, there is a bit of a problem with that, as you may well know... The only translations in the game are what is already established (this has been discussed in the other game threads ad nauseam), otherwise Faerin would have already included them in the games.

But thank you for wanting to do translations for the game all the same...
Sycho:
Well, you know, I started doing this from one game I play to understand the thread I'm going through. I know that other games that are here on this website may have other languages added and this can probably be done with some program. But I don't remember what it was, because when I checked it, it was already there somewhere. It's obvious that this has been talked about somewhere, but it's not always possible to read everything.
It's nice that at least there would be a chance to send such a translation, if there was any chance. Thanks for the answer.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Sycho:
Well, you know, I started doing this from one game I play to understand the thread I'm going through. I know that other games that are here on this website may have other languages added and this can probably be done with some program. But I don't remember what it was, because when I checked it, it was already there somewhere. It's obvious that this has been talked about somewhere, but it's not always possible to read everything.
It's nice that at least there would be a chance to send such a translation, if there was any chance. Thanks for the answer.
That is usually Ren'Py, they don't work the same way. Ren'Py is pretty much designed for it. With Unity, you can't really do that after the fact. At least not the same way.

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
Sycho:
Usually the Dev has to extract the Dialoges, and send them to you, (separate them from the code) after you translated, you send them back and he adds it when he is putting together the new update, that is why they are 1 version Back It is a bit of work to do this in Unity, In RenPy you can do it by yourself quick and easy, when you have the RenPy developer programm,
on the other hands None of the features what Faerin games have would be Possible in RenPy since it is for VN not for Games or VN Game crossover such as these games.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Sycho:
Anyone with a text editor (Notepad++ for example) and UnRen can make changes to Ren'Py games, including translations. I clean up typos and grammatical errors in a lot of Ren'Py games that I play, though that's one thing, this is completely different. This being a Unity game, you can't do that and expect the game not to crash. I've actually seen it happen when a player made an Italian mod for MwM (since that language is not supported) and the game crashed as a result. He then came on to Discord expecting me to fix the issue that he created himself by modding the game to support his native tongue. It didn't end well for him. ;)

At any rate, as I've mentioned quite a few times before (I hate repeating myself, but it looks like I have to in order to clear the air here), the languages that were in MotH before its release on Steam were removed from the game due to lack of sales in those countries (Italy, Poland and Turkey). As a result, they will not be included in this game. Faerin isn't going to add any additional support for other languages just to appease pirates or for one player. Although offering to translate the game is a generous offer, it's just not going to happen.

MotH_like25

Aug 18, 2018
Anyone with a text editor (Notepad++ for example) and UnRen can make changes to Ren'Py games, including translations. I clean up typos and grammatical errors in a lot of Ren'Py games that I play, though that's one thing, this is completely different. This being a Unity game, you can't do that and expect the game not to crash. I've actually seen it happen when a player made an Italian mod for MwM (since that language is not supported) and the game crashed as a result. He then came on to Discord expecting me to fix the issue that he created himself by modding the game to support his native tongue. It didn't end well for him. ;)

At any rate, as I've mentioned quite a few times before (I hate repeating myself, but it looks like I have to in order to clear the air here), the languages that were in MotH before its release on Steam were removed from the game due to lack of sales in those countries (Italy, Poland and Turkey). As a result, they will not be included in this game. Faerin isn't going to add any additional support for other languages just to appease pirates or for one player. Although offering to translate the game is a generous offer, it's just not going to happen.
Usually the Dev has to extract the Dialoges, and send them to you, (separate them from the code) after you translated, you send them back and he adds it when he is putting together the new update, that is why they are 1 version Back It is a bit of work to do this in Unity, In RenPy you can do it by yourself quick and easy, when you have the RenPy developer programm,
on the other hands None of the features what Faerin games have would be Possible in RenPy since it is for VN not for Games or VN Game crossover such as these games.
That is usually Ren'Py, they don't work the same way. Ren'Py is pretty much designed for it. With Unity, you can't really do that after the fact. At least not the same way.
Well, I understand you all, The Devian, xapican and Sucho. I also forgot to mention that maybe if the game had been released on Steam, it would have been or could have been in that native language, but as you mentioned, it ended badly for someone else. Considering further reading, you write that this is possible in Renpy, but I thought it was possible there, because some languages were added and it still didn't interrupt the game. Well, as you explain, Sycho, Unity doesn't have it, but I remember that Moth, probably because of some player, had Polish and it worked fine. Well, maybe someone there knew how to do it then. Well, maybe one of you can tell me if there is any program to translate the dialogues more easily and if in one of the games Timestamps: Unconditional Love or Timestamps: Lost Love you can somehow translate these dialogues into a given language faster. Because translating later after dialogues from each person is really difficult. If there was a program, maybe it would be easier for me. To put it simply, you have to translate it after playing the game or in the updates that have already been released to understand what is going on in the game's history. I understood . Regards.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Well, I understand you all, The Devian, xapican and Sucho. I also forgot to mention that maybe if the game had been released on Steam, it would have been or could have been in that native language, but as you mentioned, it ended badly for someone else. Considering further reading, you write that this is possible in Renpy, but I thought it was possible there, because some languages were added and it still didn't interrupt the game. Well, as you explain, Sycho, Unity doesn't have it, but I remember that Moth, probably because of some player, had Polish and it worked fine. Well, maybe someone there knew how to do it then. Well, maybe one of you can tell me if there is any program to translate the dialogues more easily and if in one of the games Timestamps: Unconditional Love or Timestamps: Lost Love you can somehow translate these dialogues into a given language faster. Because translating later after dialogues from each person is really difficult. If there was a program, maybe it would be easier for me. To put it simply, you have to translate it after playing the game or in the updates that have already been released to understand what is going on in the game's history. I understood . Regards.
Originally, he had more translators, but it is hard find good ones who do the work consistently and don't just ghost you. It is a lot of time, effort, and resources for something that have shown not to help him make money. On my game, I had 8 translators, doing 7 languages, and only 2 of them actually finished the intro chapter. You don't just have to do the work, you also have to coordinate with all of them, which can be troublesome at best.

I feel for you, I really do, but I don't see it happening, and pushing is just going to make things worse.

MotH_like25

Aug 18, 2018
Originally, he had more translators, but it is hard find good ones who do the work consistently and don't just ghost you. It is a lot of time, effort, and resources for something that have shown not to help him make money. On my game, I had 8 translators, doing 7 languages, and only 2 of them actually finished the intro chapter. You don't just have to do the work, you also have to coordinate with all of them, which can be troublesome at best.

I feel for you, I really do, but I don't see it happening, and pushing is just going to make things worse.
I understand The Devian with this push. I have had such a situation more than once, but in other cases, so thanks for your sympathy and I know that there is no chance for additional languages. You have to come to terms with it, the only thing left is to explain the game to yourself in order to somehow understand the plot. Of course, when you press, you can always easily make something, but it's harder to undo what you did earlier. Thank you for your answer. Regards.

Reactions: TheDevian
4.10 star(s) 27 Votes