Unity Midnight Sin [v0.4.0 Extra] [Faerin]

4.10 star(s) 27 Votes

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
On the flip side, I've also played a few that seem to have an exceptional foundation and terrific early content that I think are set up to be spectacular.....and they just die and never get past that point for whatever reason. In some cases, it seems like it was a concept designed to make a certain amount of money and when it didn't, it was abandoned, but others just seem to get bored or realize that its more work than they thought maybe.
I agree that both are probably quite regular occurences - and also justified in my eyes.

As for the money thing: time is valuable. Not only in terms of money but also in terms of enjoyment. People realize the latest when working full time plus some commute, how precious the remaining few hours are to calm down, meet with friends, pursue hobbies. But even if only from a monetary perspective, people see how much money some devs make, and then fail to realize that most devs do not even break the $100/month, let alone $1000, which would be a nice extra if still living on daddy's dime but ain't nowhere near enough to make a living.

As for the other thing, my guess is that many devs also have played some of these games, found what they liked, found what they didn't like, have some ideas about a setting or a story or a mechanic and think "I can do some coding, I can do some writing, let's give it a go." - and to be fair they probably can do both. But never having experienced a long term project in their life, they underestimate the amount of dedication needed to keep something going for years, and will lack that in the end. Just think about how many people (myself included, others here probably too) have taken up a hobby of some kind, diving deep into it, only to realize after a while that some other shiny hobby has come along and took away all the precious time we wanted to set aside for it.

Last edited:

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
I wish that Faerin would add a SubscribeStar option.

The Patreon police are far too inconsistent in applying their rules when they go on crusade to trust that they will Always miss this project.

I always choose to support vis SS when a dev gives me the option - no crusade to worry about and the dev just gets to enjoy his creation with less drama (which means that we do too).

Cheers!! :coffee:

Reactions: Logan1377

Buster Himen

Oct 6, 2019
I know it’s a little off topic but the problem I see with a lot of these games is that Grandpa Patreon doesn’t like IC content so it gets removed and then the creator is either forced to shut down or go to Subscribestar. My question is that why not just start there if that site doesn’t have that problem? Is Patreon that much more famous or more accessible?

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I know it’s a little off topic but the problem I see with a lot of these games is that Grandpa Patreon doesn’t like IC content so it gets removed and then the creator is either forced to shut down or go to Subscribestar. My question is that why not just start there if that site doesn’t have that problem? Is Patreon that much more famous or more accessible?
It's not Patreon themselves, it's the payment processors who do not wish to be affiliated with adult games involving IC. So in order to keep therm placated, adult game devs have to abide by the policies set fourth. Otherwise payment processors (like Visa, MasterCard, etc) will no longer honor their agreement with Patreon.

And AFAIK, Patreon is more widely known, more so than sites like BYMAC and SS. Plus, I think they also take a little bit of a bigger cut of the devs' profits, I do believe.

Reactions: TheDevian

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Yo this textbox is triggering the fuck out of me. How have any of Faerin's patrons not raised the issue with him? Can we get a transparency option or at least have it actually be hidden when you press 'H'?

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Yo this textbox is triggering the fuck out of me. How have any of Faerin's patrons not raised the issue with him? Can we get a transparency option or at least have it actually be hidden when you press 'H'?
I will ask him about adding in the option to change the dialog box opacity like he did with his last game, although that shouldn't be an issue as you can see from the tutorial:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Faerin

Game Developer
Jul 14, 2017
Thanks. I know I'm not a patron, but I can't be the only person it's bothering lol.
Actually, so far you are (it's nearly invisible as it is).
And the "H" shortcut is already implemented, how/when exactly is it not working for you?

We did notice that the dialog background doesn't fade out when hiding the dialog, I fixed that for the next update.
Maybe that's what you are seeing?

Last edited:

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Actually, so far you are (it's nearly invisible as it is).
And the "H" shortcut is already implemented, how/when exactly is it not working for you?

We did notice that the dialog background doesn't fade out when hiding the dialog, I fixed that for the next update.
Maybe that's what you are seeing?
Yea, the dialogue background doesn't fade, sorry if it seems anal but I really don't like that gradient transition on the bottom third, especially when it messes with the lightning of the scene. I figured I wasn't the only one who it bothers since most games have an option for a completely transparent dialogue box and outlined text these days, I usually do it myself if it doesn't, but can't be bothered to learn how to do it in Unity.

Thanks for taking the time out to do this though. I'll send a some support your way one of these days, just haven't touched Mystwood Manor in like two years and figured I'd finally check this one out before finally finishing that and gotta say it's looking like it could be your best work yet.

Digga D

Jun 5, 2019
The story is interesting it has potential, the renders are good, the women are diverse, the main character is competent so far (though a bit too old imo).
And we are only scratching the surface. I'm curious how the blackmailing will progress now that MC discovered the tunnels.

heath68

Jul 9, 2020
Quick question please. I am stuck on trying to get into Annabelle's room at 15:00. I have been kicked out by Kate but the hint has not changed - still saying I need to get the spare laptop. Nothing about the cleaning emergency so when I click on the toilet paper I just see the plush message. Any idea what I am missing?

4.10 star(s) 27 Votes