arms99

May 11, 2018
DC's model is quite different though. His game is basically free from the day of release and thus he earns way less per patreon than those who "sell" their game to high tier patreons first.
You're right, I'd imagine money wise DarkCookies and Icstor earn about the same, despite the vast difference in patrons.

Reactions: Hones

arms99

May 11, 2018
*gasp*
DarkCookies numbers compared to everyone else...
ICSTORS doing well 3rd highest there but DarkCookie... wow
Thanks for the graph, it's actually pretty interesting to see which devs are top of the patreon ladder.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
You're right, I'd imagine money wise DarkCookies and Icstor earn about the same, despite the vast difference in patrons.
That may indeed be true. Yet, I'd say DC's approach is quite a bit more sustainable. I mean, there's a huge difference wether an update takes 4 months and you spend 4$ on it (which is all you technically have to spend to always get SummertimeSaga right away from DC's own server and to always be a patreon) or wether it takes 4 months and you spend 40 to 100$.

Last edited:

FunnyBeerGod

Jun 5, 2017
And now imagine what other dev's could do if they'd make this amount of money. ;)
Have a stark drop in quality in their games, increase the "production" time even though, theoretically, they should be able to afford more members on the team and drop the project dead, milking it more than Call of Duty while rolling back to images without animations?

• Haha
Reactions: arms99

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
And now imagine what other dev's could do if they'd make this amount of money. ;)
To be fair, growing small projects seems to be a huge problem in general. It's usually fine as long as there's a signle person or a really small team doing their stuff but as soon as one is talking about basically "starting a small company" while greatly increasing the amount of content output, I'm not aware that there's anybody who has really done it. So just because a dev is doing a great job at 10 to 15k$ doesn't mean that he'd be twice that good/effective at 40k.

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
So not the 10th but this weekend :FacePalm: we shall see what happens by the weekend then can we expect a release or another long line of excuses, still, this beta update is off-putting with no animations. (n)

Reactions: Namber4 and arms99

anduje

Jan 10, 2018
The fact that you post on the day the game should come out, that there will be at least a 10 day delay shows poor judgment... I think Icstor shouldn’t post game release dates at all... That way the hype won’t come back to bite him. Although his other patrons might disagree:D

arms99

May 11, 2018
So not the 10th but this weekend :FacePalm: we shall see what happens by the weekend then can we expect a release or another long line of excuses, still, this beta update is off-putting with no animations. (n)
Full of bugs and no animation, I wouldn't call it a beta release more like an early pre-alpha release. Then there is going to be a "10 day" wait (which in icstor language probably means 1.5 months) before a proper release.

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
Have a stark drop in quality in their games, increase the "production" time even though, theoretically, they should be able to afford more members on the team and drop the project dead, milking it more than Call of Duty while rolling back to images without animations?
Thats an option too, yes. :sneaky:
To be fair, growing small projects seems to be a huge problem in general. It's usually fine as long as there's a signle person or a really small team doing their stuff but as soon as one is talking about basically "starting a small company" while greatly increasing the amount of content output, I'm not aware that there's anybody who has really done it. So just because a dev is doing a great job at 10 to 15k$ doesn't mean that he'd be twice that good/effective at 40k.
I'm not talking about dev's that are already making a good amount of money, 10-15k$ is a very good amount of money. I'm talking about the dev's that have to work their day jobs and then develop their games. If these dev's would earn more they could upgrade their equipment and maybe even quit their dayjobs and start developing fulltime. It might be that not every dev would increase in quality but there are several that would increase in quality and update more frequently.

When you take a look around here on F95 and check some of the games, that are not your usual braindead crap, and see that not few of these dev's make less than 1k$ you'll understand what i mean.

mvitrak

Jul 12, 2019

17h
Hey guys Quick update - The beta version should be released this weekend. Unfortunately, the only thing that will be missing from this version are the animations, those will be added after the beta. This time the beta will last longer than the usual three days. We have encountered a lot of game-breaking bugs this time around and need to patch them out. I estimate this extended period of testing to last around ten days, but it will be released this month for certain. Those who want to play full update with animations will have to wait a little longer, the amount of new scenes has put a lot of additional work on me. The programmer is currently finishing adding 40 secret cards and a long-awaited surprise I know you'll love. If you don't care about the animations you can start playing within a few days. :) Thanks for your patience with this update. It's a massive one.

Deleted User #713463

Engaged Member
Jun 28, 2018
not enough he said this week so its not going to be in the 10 like i suspected its going to be without animations so why to release it who want game without animation are this comics game or what

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
I'm not talking about dev's that are already making a good amount of money, 10-15k$ is a very good amount of money. I'm talking about the dev's that have to work their day jobs and then develop their games. If these dev's would earn more they could upgrade their equipment and maybe even quit their dayjobs and start developing fulltime. It might be that not every dev would increase in quality but there are several that would increase in quality and update more frequently.

When you take a look around here on F95 and check some of the games, that are not your usual braindead crap, and see that not few of these dev's make less than 1k$ you'll understand what i mean.
Well, that's a different question though. You are basically saying that one shouldn't give money to devs which are already popular, because they make enough. That's fine. But most of those do make that kind of money because people like their games better than others and thus are prepared to pay. At that point a lot of money starts to flow and devs have to deal with that in one way or the other. That was the point I wanted to make. I mean, it's not really about fairness or the "best overall use of money" in that case. Sure, there a few games I personally wish would do better, but then again I know in many cases why they don't.

3.80 star(s) 415 Votes