Team Monolith

Creator of Monolith Bay and Home Together
Game Developer
May 20, 2017
Agreed. I think the game has potential, but the tiering on the Patreon is ridiculous. If they did a 1/3/5/7/9/11 they would likely get a lot more support and exposure. The potential is there, but it needs a lot fleshing out and refinement across the board for models, animations, textures...all of it. I like the art style and the premise. But nobody is going to pay 127$ USD for what they're offering, and even if they did, it would be one-off.
The data on the site says 4760$, with 653 patrons, putting the average around 7.29$. More likely, most of them are split between the $1.50 (the vast majority) and the $13 tiers, with a few paying more. If they offered the top tier for $11 or $13 instead of 127, odds are the $1.50 folks, and the 6.50 folks that are getting, well, basically nothing (other than a sandbox build for the $6.50 tier) might up their support to a higher tier since they'd actually get something without breaking the bank.

Overall, they'd make more money per month, I think. The game, as it is, with monthly updates... I might be willing to throw $5 their way, assuming I'd actually see a return on that with a current build and monthly updates. No way I'd throw $13 at them for that. As it is, their pricing makes the game look more like a cashgrab than anything else and dissuades people from pledging since they'd have to pledge a higher number to see any sort of return.

S'why I was all ready to throw support in before I saw the prices. As it stands, I make enough that I wouldn't even blink at paying $25/mo for several months or more for the fun stuff in the VIP cheats but, between the weak reward for that price range and the gall of even having a tier that's $127 for a game in this stage of development, I'm put off from the project for a while. I'll probably try it out again in a year (the average length of time it takes a lot of projects of this nature to develop a substantial amount of content without also having a substantial amount of bugs).
You get all content for 10 bucks, all the other tiers we consider a small thanks bonus for people who want to support us with more money. You don't need any of the cheats to play the game, especially not the VIP ones, they are just a bonus. Pretty much every Patreon creator gives a small reward for very high support. Many of the biggest adult creators on Patreon like for example go up to $300 for their tiers.
Besides that most of the cheats, you could just do with cheat engine.
A full release of the game won't even have these cheats build-in. Like pretty much every game does not have build-in cheats, these days.

Last edited:

ParadigmShift

Mar 4, 2019
You get all content for 10 bucks, all the other tiers we consider a small thanks bonus for people who want to support us with more money. You don't need any of the cheats to play the game, especially not the VIP ones, they are just a bonus. Pretty much every Patreon creator gives a small reward for very high support. Many of the biggest adult creators on Patreon like for example go up to $300 for their tiers.
Besides that most of the cheats, you could just do with cheat engine.
A full release of the game won't even have these cheats build-in. Like pretty much every game does not have build-in cheats, these days.
I'll try to reign in my sarcasm (my superpower) and be professional as I respond:
You say that, but there's literally no $10 tier on your patreon. So please, tell me again how 'you get all content for 10 bucks'?
Also, just because other's offer it doesn't make them not shameless cashgrabs also.
Even the patreon you linked as an example acknowledges multiple times that their target price is $36 USD for the final product and beta access, with $8 (38% less than you) for current build access, and even their $95 tier is expected to be a one-off pledge (" You will continue receiving every update and monthly bundles till end of the project even without further pledging"). This basically amounts to $60 for skins every month, of which there have been 6-months worth offered so far. Is that worth $60 right now? No. Might it be worth $60 later on? Maybe, if they keep it up for another 12-18+ months (72-96skins for $60, between $0.60-0.70 a skin). But that's VALUE-PERCEPTION, which is subjective, differing from person to person. They also offer recognition through putting donor names in the credits, which has value to some people (not me). As well as promising all money pledged would be reimbursed with an equal amount of their premium currency, once available, which could be worthless in end, but again, value-perception.

Also the 'we're expensive because most people are going to steal and cheat anyway' argument is a terrible one and acknowledges that you KNOW you're asking too much for what you're offering. (This is basically the US Health Insurance 'we're gonna charge you 4x as much cuz you can afford it, so 3 other people can have it for free' argument) Have you considered that they cheat and steal BECAUSE they feel the asking price is too high? Some, not all, people that pirate games/software would be more than happy to support the product IF they felt the asking price was in line with what they received. As it is, your high prices are actually encouraging and driving people to cheat and pirate, which is just 100% lost revenue.

Don't get me wrong, some people are just cheap and wouldn't purchase/support no matter the price. But I can tell you from ample (20+ years) experience (and millions in revenue a year) in retail that value perception, and the sheer lack of it, is costing you money. If I were to see this game, as a finished product, available for purchase, I would probably put the price tag at about $25-30. +$5 with regular content updates. $3-5 for large DLC content additions.

In the end though, you're free to do as you please. Just as I'm free to keep my $3-5 and wait patiently on F95. All I can say is, your project was unknown to me until encountering it on F95 (yay free publicity and bug reporting!). Having now found it, I see potential that could be realized with additional funding and additional talent/manpower, but I can't in good conscience give you what you're asking. I'm not so generous as to give you money for nothing (so the 1.50 and 6.50 tiers are out), nor do I feel what is received for $13 is sufficient to warrant the cost. So, I'll stick to option C: Hang out on F95, check progress occasionally, and MAYBE purchase the final product, if there is ever a final product, if I feel the product warrants the asking price, and if I haven't already exhausted my interest in the game.

Reactions: Bellua

OdinZ

Aug 3, 2019
I'll try to reign in my sarcasm (my superpower) and be professional as I respond:
You say that, but there's literally no $10 tier on your patreon. So please, tell me again how 'you get all content for 10 bucks'?
Also, just because other's offer it doesn't make them not shameless cashgrabs also.
Even the patreon you linked as an example acknowledges multiple times that their target price is $36 USD for the final product and beta access, with $8 (38% less than you) for current build access, and even their $95 tier is expected to be a one-off pledge (" You will continue receiving every update and monthly bundles till end of the project even without further pledging"). This basically amounts to $60 for skins every month, of which there have been 6-months worth offered so far. Is that worth $60 right now? No. Might it be worth $60 later on? Maybe, if they keep it up for another 12-18+ months (72-96skins for $60, between $0.60-0.70 a skin). But that's VALUE-PERCEPTION, which is subjective, differing from person to person. They also offer recognition through putting donor names in the credits, which has value to some people (not me). As well as promising all money pledged would be reimbursed with an equal amount of their premium currency, once available, which could be worthless in end, but again, value-perception.

Also the 'we're expensive because most people are going to steal and cheat anyway' argument is a terrible one and acknowledges that you KNOW you're asking too much for what you're offering. (This is basically the US Health Insurance 'we're gonna charge you 4x as much cuz you can afford it, so 3 other people can have it for free' argument) Have you considered that they cheat and steal BECAUSE they feel the asking price is too high? Some, not all, people that pirate games/software would be more than happy to support the product IF they felt the asking price was in line with what they received. As it is, your high prices are actually encouraging and driving people to cheat and pirate, which is just 100% lost revenue.

Don't get me wrong, some people are just cheap and wouldn't purchase/support no matter the price. But I can tell you from ample (20+ years) experience (and millions in revenue a year) in retail that value perception, and the sheer lack of it, is costing you money. If I were to see this game, as a finished product, available for purchase, I would probably put the price tag at about $25-30. +$5 with regular content updates. $3-5 for large DLC content additions.

In the end though, you're free to do as you please. Just as I'm free to keep my $3-5 and wait patiently on F95. All I can say is, your project was unknown to me until encountering it on F95 (yay free publicity and bug reporting!). Having now found it, I see potential that could be realized with additional funding and additional talent/manpower, but I can't in good conscience give you what you're asking. I'm not so generous as to give you money for nothing (so the 1.50 and 6.50 tiers are out), nor do I feel what is received for $13 is sufficient to warrant the cost. So, I'll stick to option C: Hang out on F95, check progress occasionally, and MAYBE purchase the final product, if there is ever a final product, if I feel the product warrants the asking price, and if I haven't already exhausted my interest in the game.
There is (at least in EU), his prices are: 1€ 5€ 10€ 25€ 50€ 100 €
But patreon might be using faaaaar outdated auto-exchange values cuz EUR USD currently is at 1€ = 0.99$
[was at 1€ = 1.20$ like 1 or 2 yrs ago loooool] (making every non € using state pay waaay more LMFAO)

Reactions: Team Monolith

Rhennius

Oct 2, 2017

Kudos to you for putting in the time to hash this out. His post was wildly disingenuous and that $300 example he used was cherry-picked as hell even before you broke down the details. I would not have had the energy to unpack all that.

Team Monolith

Game Developer
May 20, 2017

Just to clarify the price is 10€ (my local currency) and 1€ is pretty much 1$, but I can't control what Patreon takes in other currencies.

About your other points, I always appreciate constructive feedback so thanks for that. Your points are valid but there are also valid points for the other direction. So lets rather talk about the solution than the problem, what would you actually suggest? We are pretty set on the 10€ for the game, so we probably not gonna change that. We like the "get the final game with total pledged amount is over X" but we don't have the resources to do that. (pretty sure you need your own website API handling that somehow, Patreon can't do it)
So we could drastically reduce the price of the higher tiers. I am not opposing that idea, but not having these tiers at all, for the people that want to give more doesn't seem right to me. So what would you actually change?

Last edited:

Gamesman01

Apr 27, 2018
Just to clarify the price is 10€ (my local currency) and 1€ is pretty much 1$, but I can't control what Patreon takes in other currencies. Also, I did not cherry-pick, all the big adult games I know have high amounts of money tiers in some form (CloudMeadow, SuccuDev, Sad_Crab, adeptussteve and so on) darkcockie being the only exception. But I am sure there are some I don't know.

About your other points, I always appreciate constructive feedback so thanks for that. Your points are valid but there are also valid points for the other direction. So to rather talk about the solution than the problem, what would you actually suggest? We are pretty set on the 10€ for the game, so we probably not gonna change that. We like the "get the final game with total pledged amount is over X" but we don't have the resources to do that. (pretty sure you need your own website API handling that somehow, Patreon can't do it)
So we could drastically reduce the price of the higher tiers. I am not opposing that idea, but not having these tiers at all, for the people that want to give more doesn't seem right to me. So what would you actually change?
Okay I'm not going to attack you for wanting to get paid for your art. It is art and if they want more you need to be able to put food on the table. I only have 1 gripe. It seems you put the Hotfix out of reach of those of us who can't afford to pay the monthly fee. Now if you never planned to have a public version why have codes to unlock cheats in the game? If you want a fair review and more people buying into your Patreon you should release the fix. Otherwise it's like putting a defective part in a car and charging a monthly fee to replace it.

Team Monolith

Game Developer
May 20, 2017
Okay I'm not going to attack you for wanting to get paid for your art. It is art and if they want more you need to be able to put food on the table. I only have 1 gripe. It seems you put the Hotfix out of reach of those of us who can't afford to pay the monthly fee. Now if you never planned to have a public version why have codes to unlock cheats in the game? If you want a fair review and more people buying into your Patreon you should release the fix. Otherwise it's like putting a defective part in a car and charging a monthly fee to replace it.
The version here is pirated, what is uploaded here has nothing to do with me. I am not gonna upload a version my Patreons pay for on a pirate website. But since it is just a fix I already gave my consent to anyone that uploads it here. But you have to understand I can not do it myself...
Also, what do you mean by no public version? There is a public version available on Patreon, it is older but does not have this bug.

Reactions: SimpleTimes

Rhennius

Oct 2, 2017
Just to clarify the price is 10€ (my local currency) and 1€ is pretty much 1$, but I can't control what Patreon takes in other currencies.

About your other points, I always appreciate constructive feedback so thanks for that. Your points are valid but there are also valid points for the other direction. So lets rather talk about the solution than the problem, what would you actually suggest? We are pretty set on the 10€ for the game, so we probably not gonna change that. We like the "get the final game with total pledged amount is over X" but we don't have the resources to do that. (pretty sure you need your own website API handling that somehow, Patreon can't do it)

Specifically to the part about, "not having these tiers at all, for the people that want to give more doesn't seem right to me": are you not aware that people can simply choose to give more than the the price listed for the tier, or that you can make higher tiers where the reward is your gratitude or something equally tangible like a "producer credit"? I've seen $100+ tiers on patreon where the description was along the lines of, "This is a crazy amount to subscribe to and I've already offered all the rewards I have, so you would only have my sincere thanks."

Reactions: Team Monolith

ParadigmShift

Mar 4, 2019

I see what you mean regarding the 10€ tier. I don't think I've ever really noticed anyone referring to Euro's as 'bucks', so my mind immediately thought 'USD'. Honest mistake. Still too much from my perceived value; by comparison, you can go sub to AAA studio MMO, or a streaming video sub for a silly amount more 'content' for the same or lesser price.

As far as how they are handling the 'total amount pledged is over X' stuff...my best suggestion would be to reach out to another creator on Patreon and ask how they are handling it. I've never seen the backend of Patreon nor do I deal in that area in my retail operation to know how they are going about tracking such things. You're probably right that their using some API exporting to a spreadsheet to keep running totals for each patron, along with username and email.

Beyond that, I can respect not wanting to get rid of the higher tiers for those diehard 'shut up and take my money' fans. That being said, the first step in making things more attractive is the one you've just taken, and that's ask your existing patrons / public what kinds of things they'd like to see. For starters, the donator recognition through 'name in credits' is a popular option. I would expect, at some point, you're going to want to have some kind of 'About the Team' or credits in your game to give, well, credit to all the people that worked on the game, contributed assets, etc. You obviously have coders and artists and at least one voice actress (that I know of) to credit for their work.

The sky really is the limit for what you can offer, as the best part about digital goods....they're basically free to generate. Create it once, SAVE (always save and regularly backup your work), and then just copy it 9billion times to all your subscribers. You don't have to manufacture it, there's no resources needed to make more (other than bandwidth). You're basically printing money.

For another option, lot of creators do weighted polling for 'what do you want to see next' kind of stuff. First one that comes to mind is w/ Lifeplay. Does polls regularly, to line up the next 2-3 things (ie fetishes) that they work on next, and then does 2-3 updates a month, adding 6-8 scenes to each of the requested things, as well as taking commissions from high tier patrons for specific scenes they want to see added to the game. They are not trying to make a living based on thier game however, as its more of a passion project that they do and share because people appreciate it, so marketing and making more money is not something they focus on.

Another option that comes to mind, for higher tier pledges, often creators will offer limited quantity tiers, like 'the first 20 to pledge $100 can design an NPC that will be in the final game'. They give you a premise, little bit of background, you go back and forth on appearance until they're happy, and viola. You've got yourself a milfy neighbor that may not have a deep background or a quest line or dates, but maybe a dozen unique 'Talk' dialogues (I'm lookin at you Nana ;))

Another idea is delayed releases of builds. Some creators will offer a 'get it right NOW/first/weekly/alpha' tier to get the build ASAP, and then a lower tier that gets access at a later date, or a monthly beta build, usually 2 weeks to a month. is one such example, and a personal favorite, but like Vinfamy, they create because they enjoy it, not as a profession. It may be renpy, but that code is a work of art and feat of engineering for what they've done with it. Procedural generation using 2d images of 3d renders, billions of possible combinations of over a dozen different facial and body features. Just glorious.

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head. Asking the folks that are in the $1 tier what they'd want to make them sub higher is an excellent way to connect with your fanbase.

If you want to see some GRADE AAA patreon tiering, take a look at . This person knows how to market their game, knows what people are willing to spend, takes advantage of limited quantity tiering and tier 'sales' (never underestimate deal FOMO), and is just raking in money. Almost $4k USD in just $1 and $2 subs. They might have been able to get more from those people, another dollar or two, but they baited their hook with a tasty, discounted deal and BOOM 4grand. Their game is also available for outright purchase on Steam for $20USD + TAX/VAT/All that fun stuff.

The game also markets their game and tiering quite well, as they acknowledge the value perception of their fanbase, and respond by making their tiers chocked full of 'stuff' (or at least looking like they are), which all comes at basically zero cost to them (other than time). Even their weighted voting isn't linear, but on a curve, with higher tiers getting more votes per dollar (goes from 8:1, to 6:1, 4:1, ~3:1, and tops out at ~2.5:1vote), which contributes to the perception of higher tiers being a better value.

I'm gonna end my wall of text here. Once I got started, I just kept going and going and going....You gotta ask yourself 'how do I make this look like it's value is higher than it actually is' and then find that sweet spot between margin and volume. Sometimes it's better to take a slight lower profit margin if it'll increase overall sales volume, resulting in a higher overall revenue.

Last edited:

Gamesman01

Apr 27, 2018
The version here is pirated, what is uploaded here has nothing to do with me. I am not gonna upload a version my Patreons pay for on a pirate website. But since it is just a fix I already gave my consent to anyone that uploads it here. But you have to understand I can not do it myself...
Also, what do you mean by no public version? There is a public version available on Patreon, it is older but does not have this bug.
I can see that. As I said I think artists should be paid. What I said was IF you didn't want a public version not there isn't one. I think the cheat codes are a good way to get people to pay. And I have no real bitch about paying for a full version of the game. I just can't do it at this time because I'm at a $0 income until I get my Disability ironed out which knowing my Government means maybe years. 40+ years they take my money and now it's like I'm stealing money from them. Anyway I can see how it might sting a little but believe it or not this posting probably increased you earning from Patreon a noticeable fraction. I know in the past I have donated to DarkCookie's Patreon basically to get the newest version first and some of the art he didn't put in the game. He is pretty active in the game forum or was. If I could monetize telling stories (no I don't mean writing) it would bother me if someone pirated it but if it meant more full subscribers I'd be overall happy. That's the same reason Weird Al Yankovick never worried about his songs being downloaded. He makes most of his money with concerts and other ventures. Especially while he was under contract to a record label. His share was pretty low. Now he works when he wants and makes new music when he wants. He puts it on Youtube and lets people download it.

Team Monolith

Game Developer
May 20, 2017
I see what you mean regarding the 10€ tier. I don't think I've ever really noticed anyone referring to Euro's as 'bucks', so my mind immediately thought 'USD'. Honest mistake. Still too much from my perceived value; by comparison, you can go sub to AAA studio MMO, or a streaming video sub for a silly amount more 'content' for the same or lesser price.

As far as how they are handling the 'total amount pledged is over X' stuff...my best suggestion would be to reach out to another creator on Patreon and ask how they are handling it. I've never seen the backend of Patreon nor do I deal in that area in my retail operation to know how they are going about tracking such things. You're probably right that their using some API exporting to a spreadsheet to keep running totals for each patron, along with username and email.

Beyond that, I can respect not wanting to get rid of the higher tiers for those diehard 'shut up and take my money' fans. That being said, the first step in making things more attractive is the one you've just taken, and that's ask your existing patrons / public what kinds of things they'd like to see. For starters, the donator recognition through 'name in credits' is a popular option. I would expect, at some point, you're going to want to have some kind of 'About the Team' or credits in your game to give, well, credit to all the people that worked on the game, contributed assets, etc. You obviously have coders and artists and at least one voice actress (that I know of) to credit for their work.

The sky really is the limit for what you can offer, as the best part about digital goods....they're basically free to generate. Create it once, SAVE (always save and regularly backup your work), and then just copy it 9billion times to all your subscribers. You don't have to manufacture it, there's no resources needed to make more (other than bandwidth). You're basically printing money.

For another option, lot of creators do weighted polling for 'what do you want to see next' kind of stuff. First one that comes to mind is w/ Lifeplay. Does polls regularly, to line up the next 2-3 things (ie fetishes) that they work on next, and then does 2-3 updates a month, adding 6-8 scenes to each of the requested things, as well as taking commissions from high tier patrons for specific scenes they want to see added to the game. They are not trying to make a living based on thier game however, as its more of a passion project that they do and share because people appreciate it, so marketing and making more money is not something they focus on.

Another option that comes to mind, for higher tier pledges, often creators will offer limited quantity tiers, like 'the first 20 to pledge $100 can design an NPC that will be in the final game'. They give you a premise, little bit of background, you go back and forth on appearance until they're happy, and viola. You've got yourself a milfy neighbor that may not have a deep background or a quest line or dates, but maybe a dozen unique 'Talk' dialogues (I'm lookin at you Nana ;))

Another idea is delayed releases of builds. Some creators will offer a 'get it right NOW/first/weekly/alpha' tier to get the build ASAP, and then a lower tier that gets access at a later date, or a monthly beta build, usually 2 weeks to a month. is one such example, and a personal favorite, but like Vinfamy, they create because they enjoy it, not as a profession. It may be renpy, but that code is a work of art and feat of engineering for what they've done with it. Procedural generation using 2d images of 3d renders, billions of possible combinations of over a dozen different facial and body features. Just glorious.

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head. Asking the folks that are in the $1 tier what they'd want to make them sub higher is an excellent way to connect with your fanbase.

If you want to see some GRADE AAA patreon tiering, take a look at . This person knows how to market their game, knows what people are willing to spend, takes advantage of limited quantity tiering and tier 'sales' (never underestimate deal FOMO), and is just raking in money. Almost $4k USD in just $1 and $2 subs. They might have been able to get more from those people, another dollar or two, but they baited their hook with a tasty, discounted deal and BOOM 4grand. Their game is also available for outright purchase on Steam for $20USD + TAX/VAT/All that fun stuff.

The game also markets their game and tiering quite well, as they acknowledge the value perception of their fanbase, and respond by making their tiers chocked full of 'stuff' (or at least looking like they are), which all comes at basically zero cost to them (other than time). Even their weighted voting isn't linear, but on a curve, with higher tiers getting more votes per dollar (goes from 8:1, to 6:1, 4:1, ~3:1, and tops out at ~2.5:1vote), which contributes to the perception of higher tiers being a better value.

I'm gonna end my wall of text here. Once I got started, I just kept going and going and going....You gotta ask yourself 'how do I make this look like it's value is higher than it actually is' and then find that sweet spot between margin and volume. Sometimes it's better to take a slight lower profit margin if it'll increase overall sales volume, resulting in a higher overall revenue.
Thanks for the nice feedback :)

Here my thought on your ideas:
1) 'total amount pledged is over X' stuff... I tried asking but it is hard to reach them. But I am sure they have a person dedicated to the development of their webpage and their webpage handels the stuff.

2) we already have in-game credits and a name in the credits tier.

3) "Voting power" Isn't money = power in a vote way more unethical than some cheat codes? Besides that this is also not something nativ Patreon supports and needs to be done via your own website.

4) "early alpha" What you get for 10 already the very lates build we have. Making a build requires setup/time and things being completed so we can't do it all the time, once a month is often already for a small team game dev. So would you suggest that for 10 you get an older version and only for more you get the newest?

5) "Limit amount of patreons and abuse FOMO" well yes I can see this working, but than again I am trying to be mr. nice dev (even if you get another expression because of the cheats) and abusing FOMO sound unethical to me.

Hope I didn't miss anything :)

Last edited:

ParadigmShift

Mar 4, 2019
Thanks for the nice feedback :)

Here my thought on your ideas:
1) 'total amount pledged is over X' stuff... I tried asking but it is hard to reach them. But I am sure they have a person dedicated to the development of their webpage and their webpage handels the stuff.

2) we already have in-game credits and a name in the credits tier.

3) "Voting power" Isn't money = power in a vote way more unethical than some cheat codes? Besides that this is also not something nativ Patreon supports and needs to be done via your own website.

4) "early alpha" What you get for 10 already the very lates build we have. Making a build requires setup/time and things being completed so we can't do it all the time, once a month is often already for a small team game dev. So would you suggest that for 10 you get an older version and only for more you get the newest?

5) "Limit amount of patreons and abuse FOMO" well yes I can see this working, but than again I am trying to be mr. nice dev (even if you get another expression because of the cheats) and abusing FOMO sound unethical to me.

Hope I didn't miss anything :)
I mean...abusing FOMO is basically marketing in a nutshell.
"Look at this shiny thing! See how shiny it is?! Normally priced at $13, be the one of the first 2000 people to pledge and Ill give it to you for half price!"
It's basically all about targeting people that are on the fence, that maybe want a product, but aren't sure if they're willing to buy it for the asking price. But tip the scales with a limited time offer that is a "better" value, and they'll spend less time thinking about if it's worth it or not, and jump in. I don't think you can really even consider it 'abusing' FOMO as the patron is getting something they want for a lesser price, and you're getting more money from new pledges and people that bumped their pledge up. Seems like a win-win for everyone. Putting a time or quantity limit simply adds a sense of urgency so people deliberate less.

If you really want to talk abusing patrons, the lower the price tag on a subscription, the more likely a person is to overlook and write it off as 'just a dollar' (or whatever) and leave a sub running long after they've moved on. I know I've done it; I left a $6 sub running for over 2 years without using it once before I decided to cancel. And it wasn't like I forgot about it, it was more of a 'it's only $6, and maybe I'll still use it', but I never did.

From a marketing standpoint, you should be asking yourself 2 questions:
1)How do I convince the $1.50 folks to increase their pledge?
2)How do I convince more new people to pledge?
Hint: The answer to both is convince/offer them more value for their pledge, either by giving them more for their money, or giving the same for less money.

In regard to your pricing of $13, you're more likely to see people that give you $13 one time every so often (be like 6 months for me), as the price tag is so high. You have to remember that we live in an age of ala carte entertainment and subscription streaming services. The average person has 12 running subscriptions at any given time, totaling an average of over $200 a month. Roughly $30 of that goes towards streaming services. That's the pie that you're trying to get a piece of. Makes $13 a month seem a bit restrictive, especially when the user considers what they get for $13 a month vs what they could get someplace else. That puts you in almost direct competition with streaming GIANTS like Amazon Prime Video, and Netflix, both coming in at about $15 a month (10 for netflix if you dont want HD) for HD streaming with massive libraries, not to mention pretty much every other AAA MMO with a subscription model (if there are any left worth mentioning). Makes $2-3 for game much more reasonable in that context.

Anyways, I don't really have anything more to add. Marketing is literally 100% about manipulating people and convincing them to give their money to you.

If you're so deadset on keeping the current build at 10€ (which is a mistake for the reasons I mentioned), rather than making the current build more expensive, how about going the other direction and putting the previous build, now 1 month old, into the 5€ tier? Personally, I'd prefer to see the current build release maybe 2 weeks later to the 5€ tier, but that's me being greedy as a consumer and wanting more for less. Baby steps.

Edit Sidenote: The fact that nobody has pirated/shared the 26.1 bugfix yet should tell you something as well...the pricing is discouraging to the point that not one person has wanted to be the 'hero' and take that 10€ bullet to save their fellow pirates from the bug.

Last edited:

Team Monolith

Game Developer
May 20, 2017
Unreal engine safes are in binary, I don't think you can just edit numbers. It probably messes things up. So I can't help you with that.
But getting money in the game really isn't that hard. Flying once for Drox gives you $50 and takes like 2-3min. If you buy a Girls favorite gift as often as you can with that you pretty much already got her maxed out... Or just talk and do things with her, then you don't need any money...

Reactions: f95zone69
3.30 star(s) 48 Votes