Kalkrion

Feb 27, 2019
Is that something you feel like the game is missing? This RPG was made with the idea that no grinding or time wasting is necessary. More born from myself having played RPGmaker games as research and getting bored of the endless repeated random encounters. I asked myself "What if there was only one unique encounter instead of multiple throw-away ones", and moved ahead from there.

This game design philosophy also has its own benefits because I can tailor a tighter experience for the end user in terms of the level and resources they'll have.
In response to grinding monsters I think an interesting methodology to it would be killing monsters to get resources to craft better equipment, while purchasing equipment is still present, the crafting could be used to give the equipment elemental resistances and effects of choice to make characters unique rather than simply having the characters keep buying each towns elemental equipment, but this is just food for thought to decide which flavor you as the dev prefer.

The only thing I'm hardlining for has been stated but I'll still echo it, a gallery would be greatly be appreciated while it is true there are some scenes diegetically present, which makes sense, it would be greatly appreciated to not have to travel around the map in game after loading a save, but rather have a location either in the save or in the title screen for easier replaying.

Daddums

Oct 26, 2019
Is that something you feel like the game is missing? This RPG was made with the idea that no grinding or time wasting is necessary. More born from myself having played RPGmaker games as research and getting bored of the endless repeated random encounters. I asked myself "What if there was only one unique encounter instead of multiple throw-away ones", and moved ahead from there.

This game design philosophy also has its own benefits because I can tailor a tighter experience for the end user in terms of the level and resources they'll have.
I do feel its missing it. That's why I suggested a Hunt tab that's purely optional except for some who just want to grind enough currency to fully deck out before moving on. It can even be just to get materials to craft better and specialized gear as Kalkrion said.

I just feel that ultimately the RPGMaker is being wasted as is, but that's because I genuinely enjoy those RPG mechanics. I'm not gonna pressure you to do something you don't think is fun, seeing as that can lead to even more problems, it's why I suggested a simple Hunt tab that randomly spawns a mob you can kill for loot and sell. Purely optional and I don't think it will require too much that will change the entire game for it? I haven't really dabbled with RPGMaker, but I'm familiar with tools like it.

Now, I had a different question... my memory seems to think there was going to be a business management kind of system in this game regarding the village... am I senile or is that true?

Reactions: User1230

TwistedScarlett60

Will lewd cute girls for cash
Game Developer
Sep 13, 2019
I don't understand what a repeatable random encounters would add. By default it'd be the least interesting part of the game if implemented, and at worse, abuse of the function would trivialize the rest of the content. Then we enter a slippery slope where I'd have to design the other missions to compensate for the fact there's an infinite exp and gold sink, how many repeatable random encounters would the average player do? How much would I expect them to do before encountering the area's boss? etc. Do I make the existing content harder and force people to grind, or risk giving people the opportunity to optimize the fun out of the game?

I'm struggling to understand what this adds to the game, especially this early on where I'm still teaching the player the mechanics of the game. The Shores of Easy was just a tutorial on elements, and the Misty Woods is just a status effects tutorial.
Once the colosseum is introduced in episode 5 there will be plenty of optional combat encounters which proper, unique and fun incentives.

There, I will have a ladder tournament where you climb increasingly difficult encounters to better rewards. An 'area' boss, which takes an encounter from each area and pumps it with super-boss juice. And tournaments which will come every episode or so, which'll pit you into a single elimination tournament with unique conditions against four battles. This'll all be explained and explored in ep 5.

The only thing I'm hardlining for has been stated but I'll still echo it, a gallery would be greatly be appreciated while it is true there are some scenes diegetically present, which makes sense, it would be greatly appreciated to not have to travel around the map in game after loading a save, but rather have a location either in the save or in the title screen for easier replaying.
A gallery is definitely coming.

Now, I had a different question... my memory seems to think there was going to be a business management kind of system in this game regarding the village... am I senile or is that true?
Yeah, that's true. Episode 4 will focus on the harem and town management part of the game. I'm thinking of having a lot of buildings that can be built and upgraded to give the player resources. The ability to upgrade weapons from common to rare/legendary. Slowly move shops from towns to upgradable shops in Mistral Village. Each party member will get a unique home building that can be upgraded to give them passives. There will be several other buildings like the aforementioned gallery, and more.

This will also introduce new currencies. I want money as a currency for equipment, a currency for increasing the affection of girls in the harem management, a currency for building new buildings, and a currency for upgrading them.

Reactions: anon474

Daddums

Oct 26, 2019
I don't understand what a repeatable random encounters would add. By default it'd be the least interesting part of the game if implemented, and at worse, abuse of the function would trivialize the rest of the content. Then we enter a slippery slope where I'd have to design the other missions to compensate for the fact there's an infinite exp and gold sink, how many repeatable random encounters would the average player do? How much would I expect them to do before encountering the area's boss? etc. Do I make the existing content harder and force people to grind, or risk giving people the opportunity to optimize the fun out of the game?

I'm struggling to understand what this adds to the game, especially this early on where I'm still teaching the player the mechanics of the game. The Shores of Easy was just a tutorial on elements, and the Misty Woods is just a status effects tutorial.
Once the colosseum is introduced in episode 5 there will be plenty of optional combat encounters which proper, unique and fun incentives.

There, I will have a ladder tournament where you climb increasingly difficult encounters to better rewards. An 'area' boss, which takes an encounter from each area and pumps it with super-boss juice. And tournaments which will come every episode or so, which'll pit you into a single elimination tournament with unique conditions against four battles. This'll all be explained and explored in ep 5.
This is why I didn't want to pressure you and you're well within your means to reject it, I'm not giving objective advice. It's just something you do in RPGs. You grind until there's diminished returns or you exhausted everything and move on to the next area. Maybe not a lot of people do that, but I always have. I like to make sure I'm prepared. I went through so many curatives on one of the Misty Woods fights and given how expensive they are along with the armor and weapons with how little you get paid... plus the loot you do get that you can sell it sells for a pittance. These are my only concerns and why I suggested a Hunt tab because it's just easier than dealing with balancing to me, I didn't really want it for experience but just for gold.

I like that an arena is coming, I just like grinding and hoping I don't have to deal with another fight like the one in Misty Woods because my save presently has no feathers now and I don't have enough gold to buy anymore because I bought the tier 1 armor for everyone before the fight. It just seems easier than worrying about balancing to let people mindlessly drudge if they so choose. People are here for the girls mostly anyways and that's... *chef's kiss* fantastic.

Yeah, that's true. Episode 4 will focus on the harem and town management part of the game. I'm thinking of having a lot of buildings that can be built and upgraded to give the player resources. The ability to upgrade weapons from common to rare/legendary. Slowly move shops from towns to upgradable shops in Mistral Village. Each party member will get a unique home building that can be upgraded to give them passives. There will be several other buildings like the aforementioned gallery, and more.

This will also introduce new currencies. I want money as a currency for equipment, a currency for increasing the affection of girls in the harem management, a currency for building new buildings, and a currency for upgrading them.
Okay, but how finite will these currencies be? If you don't mind my asking. Because that's my concern from the tutorial thus far.

I do like the game, though. Great scenes. Just feels restricting with the payout at present. And again you don't have to listen to me, I'm just curious about your full vision and design choices.

• Angry
Reactions: anon474

KenNight

Aug 18, 2018
Wait so...is this the 3rd version or the first one ?
I'm quite confused 'cuz i don't realy see where is the first and the second ep of this game (._ .

Kinni

Jul 30, 2017
About the grinding battles thing, I understand that sometimes, being able to just do something repeatedly to get advantages is fun, and I'm not against it in a general sense, but I think the deal with the limited battles and having to really think about your resources is a nice differential that makes this game stand out, and is fun in its own way.

Overall, I think putting a way to grind in this game would be a bad move, specially given the knowledge that some of the scarcity of resources is going to be alleviated with the management style stuff that's being planned.

Edit: For the person above me, episode 3 just means this is the third update of this game, the content of the first two episodes is already inside, so you can download and play it with no worries.

Reactions: TwistedScarlett60

Kalkrion

Feb 27, 2019

A gallery is definitely coming.

Ok seeing the roadmap for ch 4 and ch 5 inspire a lot of confidence in me regarding the game. Since the main reason I was with Daddums was because I felt rpgm was being underused, however looking at the upcoming colosseum I can say rpgm's battle system will get more use and that's always good imo. I'm also curious about how the new currencies will function, since it seems like there will be a finite amount to invest with my question being by the end of the game will you be able to get all upgrades or will you end up having to prioritize what you may need over what you want

• Thinking Face

TwistedScarlett60

Game Developer
Sep 13, 2019
I have some ports:

Mac:
(Unofficial: place it next to the Game.app file and run it)

Android:

Wait so...is this the 3rd version or the first one ?
I'm quite confused 'cuz i don't realy see where is the first and the second ep of this game (._ .
Each new episode includes everything.

Will you be able to get all upgrades or will you end up having to prioritize what you may need over what you want
There will be enough to get everything, 100%.

TwistedScarlett60

Game Developer
Sep 13, 2019
To anyone that *really* hates the turn based combat and wants to skip it entirely, press 'page up' on a town menu to access a debug menu and level your characters up. (Doesn't work on Android)

That's probably the reason why the Equip Screen doesn't work
Yeah, I changed the way equipment works and it corrupted all previous saves.

Ah good. Well, my worries are taken care of.

Just gonna have to hope I don't get crit'd against...
Enemies can't crit in MG1,000. That'd be too annoying! :D

If anyone has a save file they could post I'd be grateful! Lost mine after this update for some reason :(
Just use the episode select. You can access it by pressing 'new game', inputting a name and then saying you've played before.

Discorde

Jan 21, 2021
TS60, can you study the idea of having a minimum of personalization of the protagonist? Besides, I know you like repaint ...
Anyway, you draw well, it hasn't changed.

BANicoale

Mar 18, 2021
Hey Scarlett,
Any chance for a new game update sometime in the future? To me it feels like the current part of the game is basically done. (ch3. Just got past the Shores and Woods..) You'd just need to finish up Dialogue, Jobs and Artwork.

In my game the 2 extra locations I have are Locked. Why?

Something that I think it is Kind of Annoying is that, without cheating, currently, there is no way to grind/ gain gold besides the jobs. Could it be possible to increase monster encounter chance during travel?

TwistedScarlett60

Game Developer
Sep 13, 2019
TS60, can you study the idea of having a minimum of personalization of the protagonist?
Like... a completely blank protagonist with no personality? Akin to Fallout: New Vegas?

Hey Scarlett,
Any chance for a new game update sometime in the future? To me it feels like the current part of the game is basically done. (ch3. Just got past the Shores and Woods..) You'd just need to finish up Dialogue, Jobs and Artwork.

In my game the 2 extra locations I have are Locked. Why?
These things take time, and I'm working as fast as I can.
This game likely won't be done for another year. Trust me, if it was possible for me to just click my fingers and release something, I totally would.

Lazyrick

Jan 10, 2018
Like... a completely blank protagonist with no personality? Akin to Fallout: New Vegas?
IMO, those easy-to-self-insert cookie cutter protagonists are typically a big minus if the game isn't big enough. The reason they work in big name games like New Vegas or Skyrim is because they had enough freedom to accommodate them. If the game doesn't have enough choices and varied playstyle to allow them to develop, they aren't a character, they're a person shaped hole in the game. So really, unless this game is gonna pull stuff like picking sides on major events, it's better for the MC to have agency and a personality.
Anyway, the characters are fun and the art is great, so I'll play either way.

BANicoale

Mar 18, 2021

These things take time, and I'm working as fast as I can.
This game likely won't be done for another year. Trust me, if it was possible for me to just click my fingers and release something, I totally would.
Thank you for the reply. I sent you a similar message on Patreon...

I only asked about it because I like the game and, I guess that I care.

Do you have your own Dev Plan for the game? Updates for it that you'd release every (...) of moths?
I can guess that as a developer, you wouldn't want to give false hope. But personally, I'd still like to have some idea.

Thank you.

4.50 star(s) 102 Votes