S1nsational

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
The epilogue isn't sad, what is (was) "sad" is the story around the epilogue in my real life.
As most players know, in September I was diagnosed with a health issue that could be fatal at any moment. I had a "medium-high risk of sudden death". I'm on medication and the issue is improving. In the last revision, the docs told me the risk had lowered to "low to very low".
As any writer (besides George RR Martin :ROFLMAO: ) I want to finish my story, and I want the players to know how it ends, so I spent some days working on the epilogue in a way that could be understandable to anyone besides me. There is a post on Patreon/SS with a scheduled publication date of 2 months in the future. Every week I change that date. If I can't change it, that means the docs were mistaken about the risk, and the epilogue will be published in pdf format, so you can know how the story ends.

It was sad (for me) because when I did it 0.12 wasn't even published, so no Kiara, no Saira, no new students, and no relationships with the ones already at home would be developed. The epilogue sounded empty because many of the things that led to it haven't happened in the game yet.

He means this sentence in a previous post of mine
Woah, I DID NOT know about this medical scariness!! Very glad your docs have your risk downgraded so low, hopefully it'll get lower and lower again.

Satou Pendragon

Engaged Member
Jan 24, 2018
The epilogue isn't sad, what is (was) "sad" is the story around the epilogue in my real life.
As most players know, in September I was diagnosed with a health issue that could be fatal at any moment. I had a "medium-high risk of sudden death". I'm on medication and the issue is improving. In the last revision, the docs told me the risk had lowered to "low to very low".
As any writer (besides George RR Martin :ROFLMAO: ) I want to finish my story, and I want the players to know how it ends, so I spent some days working on the epilogue in a way that could be understandable to anyone besides me. There is a post on Patreon/SS with a scheduled publication date of 2 months in the future. Every week I change that date. If I can't change it, that means the docs were mistaken about the risk, and the epilogue will be published in pdf format, so you can know how the story ends.

It was sad (for me) because when I did it 0.12 wasn't even published, so no Kiara, no Saira, no new students, and no relationships with the ones already at home would be developed. The epilogue sounded empty because many of the things that led to it haven't happened in the game yet.

Ah ok then because I was thinking for a moment I was in the wrong thread :ROFLMAO:
And I'm glad the the risk was lowered to "low to very low" as we hope that your Health is gonna be good in the coming years

MrSancini

Feb 18, 2018
Oh a bad UI can be much worse than merely useless... :sneaky:
That's why whenever I mess with renpy (just for fun), I NEVER approach the part where you can customize the UI.

With my lack of knowledge, I could probably make my computer explode... Or fail miserably. :KEK:

• Haha
Reactions: Trope95

Trope95

Formerly 'TropecitaGames'
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
That's why whenever I mess with renpy (just for fun), I NEVER approach the part where you can customize the UI.

With my lack of knowledge, I could probably make my computer explode... Or fail miserably. :KEK:
Fail in making your computer explode? That's a win!!! :ROFLMAO:
I've never approached Ren'py UI beyond the most basic things. The state-of-the-art new interface is RiamMar 's child

PEscobar

Oct 5, 2022

I am so sorry to hear that. I am glad it is low to very low now, and hopefully you can keep going. I'll do what I can to support you in your efforts. No Robert Jordan ok?! :)

• Red Heart

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019

Damn, that's rough to hear. Hope the chances go your way, since you're one of the better devs here with how you interact with people playing the game.

• Red Heart

RiamMar

One Hand Clapping, Heart of the Keyforge
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
that's it
There's two things I could think of.
  • You used Cyrillic for the file name and Ren'Py might not support that? Can you try using latin script?
  • You have the game somewhere located with write protection, like in "Programs" or "Program Data" on "C:\". If that's the case, either move it to somewhere else, like "C:\Games" or try running the game in administrator mode (right-click on the exe > Run as Administrator)
Just read it's on MacOS, which I can't test.

Is there some kind of "Run as Administrator"?
  • Google says "Hold Control, (right?) click on app, while holding Control, click on open, enter (admin) password if needed"
or other way to give the app priviliges to write a file?
  • Apple says this:
Is there a traceback.txt with an error message in it? Can you post that file, though it might not be helpful if it's struggling with write permissions?

Last edited:
  • Red Heart

Melanx0l1k

Feb 28, 2023
There's two things I could think of.
  • You used Cyrillic for the file name and Ren'Py might not support that? Can you try using latin script?
  • You have the game somewhere located with write protection, like in "Programs" or "Program Data" on "C:\". If that's the case, either move it to somewhere else, like "C:\Games" or try running the game in administrator mode (right-click on the exe > Run as Administrator)
Just read it's on MacOS, which I can't test.

Is there some kind of "Run as Administrator"?
  • Google says "Hold Control, (right?) click on app, while holding Control, click on open, enter (admin) password if needed"
or other way to give the app priviliges to write a file?
  • Apple says this:
Is there a traceback.txt with an error message in it? Can you post that file, though it might not be helpful if it's struggling with write permissions?
Yeah i run the gams as Administrator
And this too other way to give the app priviliges to write a file?

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Yeah i run the gams as Administrator
And this too other way to give the app priviliges to write a file?
Okay, the traceback is from another older bug it seems. I have actually no clue what the problem might be. I'll download the mac build and see if I can find some difference in the code. Maybe Ren'Py changes stuff for different MacOS?

Just to be on the save side, can you make a savegame right before that first dialogue of Trop and me? I'll make
  1. an export and
  2. a save of the imported game for v0.13
Than you should at least be able to continue with your save, if I don't find a solution for this problem.

Last edited:

Melanx0l1k

Feb 28, 2023
Okay, the traceback is from another older bug it seems. I have actually no clue what the problem might be. I'll download the mac build and see if I can find some difference in the code. Maybe Ren'Py changes stuff for different MacOS?
maybe i special one :LOL: this is very important for next update or no? if no, you dont need test this error.

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
maybe i special one :LOL: this is very important for next update or no? if no, you dont need test this error.
v0.13 has two ways to start, either click "New Game" or "Import Game". Importing the game will give you a screen with all the exported savegames from part 1 and if you select one, it will check "all" the variables and patch them to the new character class.
Clicking on "New Game" starts with a questionnaire, where you're asked… questions… for all the routes and choices that are still relevant. So, with no save or if you haven't played part 1, you can still answer like a million questions (max 25 to be exact) and play from there.

So no, it's not really relevant, but would still be nice to know. I'll have a look but don't really expect to find something. If I find something, who knows, maybe Batman will show up at Tim Cook's house and smack him. *shrugs*
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Melanx0l1k

Feb 28, 2023
v0.13 has two ways to start, either click "New Game" or "Import Game". Importing the game will give you a screen with all the exported savegames from part 1 and if you select one, it will check "all" the variables and patch them to the new character class.
Clicking on "New Game" starts with a questionnaire, where you're asked… questions… for all the routes and choices that are still relevant. So, with no save or if you haven't played part 1, you can still answer like a million questions (max 25 to be exact) and play from there.

So no, it's not really relevant, but would still be nice to know. I'll have a look but don't really expect to find something. If I find something, who knows, maybe Batman will show up at Tim Cook's house and smack him. *shrugs*
million questions its not a much

Mr.Heartbeat

Dec 19, 2020
I didn't know about your health issue, while I probably aren't able to do anything regarding about your health issue but i wish you be able to live long enough to finish your story, the way you envisioned, the way you want to craft it and be able to look back on it and feel proud.

That said do you have any regrets?

Trope95

Formerly 'TropecitaGames'
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
I am so sorry to hear that. I am glad it is low to very low now, and hopefully you can keep going. I'll do what I can to support you in your efforts. No Robert Jordan ok?! :)
Thanks!
Jordan was the one I was thinking about when I got the news. I don't have a Sanderson at hand to continue My Dorm.

Hopefully you guys will give us a way to switch back to default style. All these new fangled UIs are a huge pain for old eyes like mine.
I think RiamMar has done a terrific job with the UI overhaul. His approach has been "functionality first" so the new interface (mostly on the main screen, but affecting the play screen) is very customizable to allow for different font size, outline, and visibility. I think most players will enjoy the new UI.

I didn't know about your health issue, while I probably aren't able to do anything regarding about your health issue but i wish you be able to live long enough to finish your story, the way you envisioned, the way you want to craft it and be able to look back on it and feel proud.

That said do you have any regrets?
Thanks!
Regrets? Who doesn't have them?
If I had known about how this journey has improved my life (not making the game, but talking to you, the players), I would have started it long ago, perhaps during the COVID lockdown. Now I would be finishing My Dorm and starting the second project.
But my PC then would struggle with a lot of the renders in the game, and I didn't even know about AVNs then. I was happy testing Bannerlord's early access then :ROFLMAO:!
So regrets? A lot. Would I change anything from my life up to right now? Hardly. Every choice I've made in my life has brought me here and now.

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
I think @RiamMar has done a terrific job with the UI overhaul. His approach has been "functionality first" so the new interface (mostly on the main screen, but affecting the play screen) is very customizable to allow for different font size, outline, and visibility. I think most players will enjoy the new UI.
I'm sure RiamMar has done an amazing job. But there's a difference between young eyes and old eyes. But I'll have to wait and see. Literally. :ROFLMAO:

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
So regrets? A lot. Would I change anything from my life up to right now? Hardly. Every choice I've made in my life has brought me here and now.
Mate, the time for regrets is long gone. We are at that age where we either made peace with our lives, or, we end it somehow. This is for you...

• Red Heart
4.00 star(s) 101 Votes