TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
Not bad but the scene transitions needs some serious work its a little disorienting with all the random jumps one minute lying in bed next in a room with people out of no where
at the very least add in some fade ins/out to give the reader a visual cue the location is about to change or a simple fade to black with text "you get up and go down stairs"
Thanks for trying My Dorm. The transition stuff is being addressed in later updates, as other players pointed out the same issue

Finally caught up, and I want to say I'm impressed that, as far as I've seen, the separate paths have remained properly organized. It seems like quite a bit of work, and I appreciate it. Admittedly, the Martha scenes at times do seem a bit odd if you aren't on her path, but that's fine.

I also like the big family feel that the game has. It makes it feel like they're not just people who live in the same place. And though I've not tried it, bonus points for making the alternate version of the story kind of novel by tying it into the clone story. I might even give it a spin some day, just for the novelty. The twist with the mystery girls is fun. Looking forward to seeing that develop.
Thanks for playing My Dorm. Organizing the paths can be a pain in the ass sometimes ;) but it's also fun to do, as I should squeeze my brain to invent situations that 'force' the player to interact in a natural way with the girls he's not on the path with. They live together, and they will meet independently of the player's choices (this only applies to the house girls)
Martha's scenes are an example of this, and it has an explanation. You aren't on Martha's path, but she's a living character and she's on MC's path whether you want it or not. She's the only character who is semi-unconsciously trying to seduce the MC even if the player has rejected her, because the player hasn't rejected her explicitly as happens with all the other girls when you close their paths.
An example of this is the last night (Emma and Martha sleeping in MC's room):
* If you are on Emma's and Martha's path, both of them come to MC's room in lingerie, and both of them end up bra-less
* If you aren't on Emma's path, she comes with a "normal" pajama. And she doesn't take out the bra, as she's not wearing any and she isn't uncomfortable. As she is still innocent, she encourages Martha to take hers off.
* Martha comes in lingerie independently of your choices, and she will end up bra-less in every situation. How she does it depends on if Emma encourages her (not on Emma's path) or if she sees it as an "I will not be more prudish than my daughter." (on Emma's path)
After the events in the morning, if you're not on her path, she will tone down her seduction attempts, as she becomes conscious of them.

As for the family feel, I wanted them to do things together, to establish they love each other (independently of paths), and show they are a happy family (with Scarlett almost being a part of that family and everyone accepting her as one). That is one of the main reasons for delaying the arrival of the students, I wanted to establish all the relationships at home before introducing 4 new characters who will live there.

I don't know if you play the game patched or not, but you will find some differences. I hate the landlady/roommate solution as it eliminates the drama of a taboo relationship (Who in their right mind would have a problem with starting a relationship with the hot landlady?), so I wrote two different stories to keep the feeling. It's a bit diluted, as it should be, but it's there nonetheless.

The Mystery Girls story arc is one of the main story arcs in the early game. The only problem with that is the characters (and the player) are clueless about its existence. And it involves more people than it seems.

And here you have another Tropecita Games trademark wall of text ;). Sorry about that

Reactions: sakuyas_mmaster

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
I have an ending planned. Or more exactly 268.435.456 endings planned (and that is not an invented number). I even have thought about the epilogue.
How much time will it take to arrive there? I'm very bad at planning those things. At first, I thought about a couple of years with 12 updates per year, but as I began writing and publishing updates, I thought it will be a bit rushed with all the story I want to tell, so right now I think it can take about 3 years. As I say I'm very bad at planning (as the 300 renders rule can attest), so it can be anywhere between 2.5 years and 3.5 years. I also changed the 12 updates per year to 14-16 (0.4, 0.7, and possibly 0.9 and 0.11 will be published in two parts to adapt to the real-world calendar)
Having a plan is good, but I've always believed that planning "too much" is just as bad as not having a plan at all. I'll enter weeb mode a bit, but its something I learned from following One Piece all these years.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Overall, a plan is good, but you likely shouldn't use it as a concrete tool, but more akin to a flexible outline.

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
Having a plan is good, but I've always believed that planning "too much" is just as bad as not having a plan at all. I'll enter weeb mode a bit, but its something I learned from following One Piece all these years.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Overall, a plan is good, but you likely shouldn't use it as a concrete tool, but more akin to a flexible outline.
Well, I have a plan, but not as strict as Oda's ;) . I want to tell a story (the epilogue was the second thing I wrote after the Guns N' Roses joke, even before the characters had names) but I'm flexible in the way of telling it. Also, I know I'm not flawless and I like to adapt when someone tells me I'm wrong, as happened with a girl going from side-chick to fully "haremable" (you know, first game by a dev who is not an expert in the genre).
So I had a story start and an end for it. I planned for 2 years initially and now I'm on a 3 years schedule, and I can't say if I would need more (outline of updates right now gets to 0.12 right now) because sometimes, when I write a scene, I decide it's rushed and I need two or three (the Simone/Jamaal scene in the cafe was thought to have their first kiss and Simone accepting the harem, but it didn't seem right when I was writing it), so nothing is written in stone and I can end up with a 4 years game. That way FatGiant will get his blood pressure under control.
I suck at planning, as the 300 renders rule demonstrates.

or Martha could adopt her, it would save her time that it takes Scarlet to comute from her home to her lessons.
Or she can get a room at Norah's house when the autumn term begins, kicking out one of the planned second-batch students ;)
Just kidding. Those students are already designed and I won't steal one of them to make room for Scarlett

Shawnchapp

Modder
Feb 13, 2018
So im kinda confused now.... is this an incest game or not? because i read something about a clone plot, but also read that the clones only exist if you aren't using the patch..

so what is the correct version for the real story? patched or not patch? i realize asking this question can lead to spoilers but im ok with that and honestly i only use the patch because hearing landlady and roommate in games are just annoying (when clearly it actually a family) so basically i don't care if the story is actually incest or not i just want to play the INTENDED way

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
So im kinda confused now.... is this an incest game or not? because i read something about a clone plot, but also read that the clones only exist if you aren't using the patch..

so what is the correct version for the real story? patched or not patch? i realize asking this question can lead to spoilers but im ok with that and honestly i only use the patch because hearing landlady and roommate in games are just annoying (when clearly it actually a family) so basically i don't care if the story is actually incest or not i just want to play the INTENDED way
The patched and unpatched games are written independently with a bit different plot points. The game is written in such a manner that the two stories have sense and avoid the landlady/roommate stuff. It is intended to be equally playable and enjoyable both ways.

In the patched version the characters who live in the house are blood-related (mother, aunt, sister, and cousins). And there are a couple of clones out there that the players (not the MC and family) have discovered in the last update.

In the unpatched version, the characters aren't blood-related nor legally a family, but live as one because:
* Mom/Martha has been the girlfriend of MC's father for the last 16 years. She knows they aren't related, but she has helped grow MC since he was 5, and thinks of herself as a stepmother. She's Emma's ward.
* Aunt/Norah was the girlfriend of the deceased MC's uncle when the MC was born. She knows they aren't related and think about it more than once. She considers herself MC's aunt even if she isn't legally. She's Erika's and Daphne's ward.
* Emma, Erika, and Daphne are the clones, but they don't know about it, they think they are MC's sister/cousins, so the mental barriers to an incest relationship are still there. And there are a couple of girls (the originals of Emma and Erika/Daphne) out there that the players (not the MC and family) have discovered in the last update.
* The MC, Martha, Norah and MC's father are the only ones in the town that know the truth (or so they think)
* Daphne has discovered she isn't blood-related to Norah, so she thinks she and Erika are adopted. She has told Scarlett about it, but no one else. She knows MC isn't her cousin, so no barriers there for her. She doesn't know MC knows they aren't cousins, so she thinks the MC has those barriers. She doesn't know she's a clone, she thinks she's "only" adopted

As you can see, there are two different games with logic on them, no landlady/roommate shit. 95-97% of the dialogue is the same, but there are some differences.
To understand it a bit more, you have available the for both versions.
I hope this explanation has been helpful

Last edited:

Shawnchapp

Modder
Feb 13, 2018
The patched and unpatched games are written independently with a bit different plot points. The game is written in such a manner that the two stories have sense and avoid the landlady/roommate stuff. It is intended to be equally playable and enjoyable both ways.

In the patched version the characters who live in the house are blood-related (mother, aunt, sister, and cousins). And there are a couple of clones out there that the players (not the MC and family) have discovered in the last update.

In the unpatched version, the characters aren't blood-related nor legally a family, but live as one because:
* Mom/Martha is the girlfriend of MC's father. She knows they aren't related, but she has helped grow MC since he was 5, and thinks of herself as a stepmother. She's Emma's ward.
* Aunt/Norah was the girlfriend of the deceased MC's uncle. She knows they aren't related and think about it more than once. She considers herself MC's aunt even if she isn't legally. She's Erika's and Daphne's ward.
* Emma, Erika, and Daphne are the clones, but they don't know about it, they think they are MC's sister/cousins, so the mental barriers to an incest relationship are still there. And there are a couple of girls (the originals of Emma and Erika/Daphne) out there that the players (not the MC and family) have discovered in the last update.
* The MC, Martha, Norah and MC's father are the only ones in the town that know the truth (or so they think)
* Daphne has discovered she isn't blood-related to Norah, so she thinks she and Erika are adopted. She has told Scarlett about it, but no one else. She knows MC isn't her cousin, so no barriers there for her. She doesn't know MC knows they aren't cousins, so she thinks the MC has those barriers.

As you can see, there are two different games with logic on them, no landlady/roommate shit. 95-97% of the dialogue is the same, but there are some differences.
To understand it a bit more, you have available the family tree for both versions.
I hope this explanation has been helpful

sounds like there alot more "story" in the non patch version if im reading everything you said right...

And there are a couple of girls (the originals of Emma and Erika/Daphne) out there that the players (not the MC and family) have discovered in the last update.

so if playing the patched version they don't have clones do we miss that whole subplot? and in the patch version the clones are just random people?

Last edited:
Reactions: TropecitaGames

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
sounds like there alot more "story" in the non patch version if im reading everything you said right...

And there are a couple of girls (the originals of Emma and Erika/Daphne) out there that the players (not the MC and family) have discovered in the last update.

so if playing the patched version they don't have clones and we miss that whole subplot?and in the patch version the clones are just random people?
No, you won't lose that plot point, in the patched version Amanda is Emma's clone and Eva is either Erika's or Daphne's (it can't be known whom because of the science involved). In the unpatched Amanda is the original and Emma is the clone, and Eva is the original and Daphne/Erika are the clones. The story is the same, but with a reversal of roles.

Shawnchapp

Modder
Feb 13, 2018
No, you won't lose that plot point, in the patched version Amanda is Emma's clone and Eva is either Erika's or Daphne's (it can't be known whom because of the science involved). In the unpatched Amanda is the original and Emma is the clone, and Eva is the original and Daphne/Erika are the clones. The story is the same, but with a reversal of roles.

oh ok good like i said i don't actually care what their relation to the MC is I'm all about story and don't like missing story Lol its why im a sucker for VNs that have a story mode Lol

but as the dev which version would you recommend playing? patched or non patched?

• Wow

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
oh ok good like i said i don't actually care what their relation to the MC is I'm all about story and don't like missing story Lol its why im a sucker for VNs that have a story mode Lol

but as the dev which version would you recommend playing? patched or non patched?
As the dev is difficult, I've written both and I think both are equally good ;). I only can recommend testing them, and deciding by yourself
As a player, I have a soft spot for incest games, so I would play the patched version. But that's me and my kinks... I lied, I would test both versions :ROFLMAO:

BTW, I forgot one (announced but not yet in the game) character that also changes her role depending on the patch:
Olivia is Norah's mother in both versions.
In the patched version, as Norah and Martha are sisters, Olivia is also Martha's mother and MC's grandmother.
In the unpatched version, she isn't blood-related with the MC, but they see each other as grandmother/grandson

Reactions: Ara-sH

kktcross

Jan 29, 2019
TropicaGames i must say it again great game so far and* i want to ask do i have to ipatch with every new update or does game know with old saves/persistent what "version" of the game i did played and how to name characters? thx ;)

Shawnchapp

Modder
Feb 13, 2018
As the dev is difficult, I've written both and I think both are equally good ;). I only can recommend testing them, and deciding by yourself
As a player, I have a soft spot for incest games, so I would play the patched version. But that's me and my kinks... I lied, I would test both versions :ROFLMAO:
i figure i get something like that as an answer but baseing on your fetish i get the sense the idea for the game when it first came into your head was an incest story but like me (and many others i assume) hate seeing landlady/roommate when its obvious as fuck even to the blind deaf man its suppose be a mother and sister come up with the idea to make it actually believable this time, so i can only assume the orignal plot for the game was incest then modified over time Lol

and honestly its hard for me to pick because i kinda want a cross between both.. realistically speaking the current people that live with MC make 100% sense its his family but having every other girl that seems to move in with them also their family not so much (based on title of game and the initial plot of building a dorm house for a local collage) i'm also not far in so maybe none family member do move in to, but there is a certain point where the amount of family members become unrealistic to me i won't be able to believe for one second there's even time for them to propagate that much especially if their all around the same age... the math just won't add up Lmao unless of course you want to make them quintuplets thats 5 girls for the price of one birth! the math is perfectly fine then

goulet1995

Sep 30, 2021
i figure i get something like that as an answer but baseing on your fetish i get the sense the idea for the game when it first came into your head was an incest story but like me (and many others i assume) hate seeing landlady/roommate when its obvious as fuck even to the blind deaf man its suppose be a mother and sister come up with the idea to make it actually believable this time, so i can only assume the orignal plot for the game was incest then modified over time Lol

and honestly its hard for me to pick because i kinda want a cross between both.. realistically speaking the current people that live with MC make 100% sense its his family but having every other girl that seems to move in with them also their family not so much (based on title of game and the initial plot of building a dorm house for a local collage) i'm also not far in so maybe none family member do move in to, but there is a certain point where the amount of family members become unrealistic to me i won't be able to believe for one second there's even time for them to propagate that much especially if their all around the same age... the math just won't add up Lmao unless of course you want to make them quintuplets thats 5 girls for the price of one birth! the math is perfectly fine then
dont think thats whats will happen unless im missed some hint i think the girls who move into dorm will be just college students. That being said witht the last update and the clone part of the game anything could happen

Shawnchapp

Modder
Feb 13, 2018
dont think thats whats will happen unless im missed some hint i think the girls who move into dorm will be just college students. That being said witht the last update and the clone part of the game anything could happen

ya like i said im not that far in so idk much Lol and ya instead of quintuplets could just be clones which works becuae clones share the same DNA as the original therefore would still be considered incest.

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
TropicaGames i must say it again great game so far and* i want to ask do i have to ipatch with every new update or does game know with old saves/persistent what "version" of the game i did played and how to name characters? thx ;)
Thanks for your kind words kktcross
Yes, the game should be patched after every update and before loading the save from the previous version

• Red Heart
Reactions: kktcross

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022

The game began as an idea for a short sci-fi non-adult novella (I'm a frustrated novelist), so the idea was the unpatched one, but without incest (a family unaware of what's happening around them while they begin a Dorm business). When I decided to make it into an adult game, I studied a lot of sites ToS and discovered a lot of them frowned upon incest, so I rewrote the plot as a non-incest game. Then I learned a bit about Ren'py and discovered the (blessed) patches. I rewrote the story so it can work both ways.
The known big family (people who consider themselves family in the unpatched version and are real family in the patched version) is composed, right now, of:
Martha (40), The MC (21), Emma (18)
Norah (44), Erika (18), Daphne (18)
Scarlett (18) pseudo-adopted by the family
Olivia (66) doesn't live with the family, she comes on Saturday to spend some summer time with her daughter(s) and grandkids
As you can see it can pass for a normal family.
As goulet1995 says below, the students (4+1+6) aren't related to anyone. They are just students lodged in the family houses.

You didn't miss it, the students are "normal" people who happen to study in Newport Female University the same year the college's Dorm caught fire.
The clones won't move in (yet)

ya like i said im not that far in so idk much Lol and ya instead of quintuplets could just be clones which works becuae clones share the same DNA as the original therefore would still be considered incest.
Luckily, Patreon ToS don't include clones, and don't consider it incest (the incest concept of Patreon is weird), so a threesome MC+Erika+Daphne is allowed in the unpatched version

• Wow
Reactions: FatGiant

Shawnchapp

Modder
Feb 13, 2018
Luckily, Patreon ToS don't include clones, and don't consider it incest (the incest concept of Patreon is weird), so a threesome MC+Erika+Daphne is allowed in the unpatched version
Thats odd I'd assume they frowned upon clones as well.... i mean they have the same genetic code as the original.. thats the whole point of why incest became frowned upon... because it limits the gene pool and leads to greater risk of birth defects... Patreon is a strange site... good to know if i ever make a porn game "No Patreon thats not the MCs sister thats just the MCs sisters clone so all is well, yes thats right thats also the MC Moms clone"

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
Thats odd I'd assume they frowned upon clones as well.... i mean they have the same genetic code as the original.. thats the whole point of why incest became frowned upon... because it limits the gene pool and leads to greater risk of birth defects... Patreon is a strange site... good to know if i ever make a porn game "No Patreon thats not the MCs sister thats just the MCs sisters clone so all is well, yes thats right thats also the MC Moms clone"
They don't mind about genes. They forbid sex with step-X (that's why in the unpatched Martha and Dad never married), with political family (your uncle's wife, Norah also didn't marry), lesbian sex between relatives, threesomes with a male a mother+daughter not related to the male, etc.
The rules were imposed by Mastercard, so I guess they took the stricter laws in some states or countries and applied them. No clone laws anywhere yet ;)

• Sad
Reactions: FatGiant

medgecko

Jul 26, 2017
They don't mind about genes. They forbid sex with step-X (that's why in the unpatched Martha and Dad never married), with political family (your uncle's wife, Norah also didn't marry), lesbian sex between relatives, threesomes with a male a mother+daughter not related to the male, etc.
The rules were imposed by Mastercard, so I guess they took the stricter laws in some states or countries and applied them. No clone laws anywhere yet ;)
So ... Revenge of the Clones???

• Haha
4.10 star(s) 99 Votes