MarsUltor

Aug 2, 2018
Part 1 is still my Nr 1 comedy ever.
My favorite is Young Frankenstein.

The real genius of Brooks' movies is the layered humor in them. On the surface, they are politically incorrect screwball comedies with a Borscht Belt humor flair, but they are also filled with parody references to classic movies in their particular genre, as well as parodies of various movie and entertainment tropes.

One that is part of why I like Young Frankenstein so much is how you can hear horses whinnying and reacting in fear whenever Frau Blücher's name is spoken. There's an urban legend that "Blücher" sounds like the German or Yiddish word for "glue", but it actually doesn't. The horses react that way as a parody of the trope of having scary music play whenever the villain enters the scene in a melodrama, and part of the humor is that you can hear the horses' terrified reaction to hearing Frau Blücher's name even when there are no horses anywhere in the vicinity, like in the interior of the castle.

Oh, and the "Puttin' on the Ritz" scene is hilarious!

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
I think a lot of people don't realize there's a lot of nuance in Mel Brooks' movies and assume that those of us who care about PC just rail against everything.

It's about who's being targeted as the butt of the joke and Brooks pretty much always punches up. Blazing Saddles has some terminology that's not acceptable in polite society but it was used to convey a point... And the people that are the most vocally anti PC are also usually the ones that try to portray themselves as "real salt of the earth types", they probably wouldn't be happy about the mirror that a modern Blazing Saddles holds up to them.

Satou Pendragon

Engaged Member
Jan 24, 2018
Mel Brooks is an absolute comedic genius, and has had a knack for collaborating with other comedic geniuses.
I agree Mel Brooks is an absolute comedic Genius, just recently they played Robin Hood: Men in Tights in the TV once again. Still my Favorite Version of the Robin Hood Movies. :ROFLMAO:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
EDIT:

Last edited:

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020

The real genius of Brooks' movies is the layered humor in them. On the surface, they are politically incorrect screwball comedies with a Borscht Belt humor flair, but they are also filled with parody references to classic movies in their particular genre, as well as parodies of various movie and entertainment tropes.

One that is part of why I like Young Frankenstein so much is how you can hear horses whinnying and reacting in fear whenever Frau Blücher's name is spoken. There's an urban legend that "Blücher" sounds like the German or Yiddish word for "glue", but it actually doesn't. The horses react that way as a parody of the trope of having scary music play whenever the villain enters the scene in a melodrama, and part of the humor is that you can hear the horses' terrified reaction to hearing Frau Blücher's name even when there are no horses anywhere in the vicinity, like in the interior of the castle.

It is a german pun, "geht ab wie Blücher" (he charges like Blücher) meaning that someone has an agressive and fiery approach to something.
the pun is alluding to the Prussian Fieldmarshall "von Blücher" who fought alongside the Duke of Wellington against Napoleon.
It is unclear if this, phrase was originated during his years in the prussian Husar regiment during the war against the French ocupation of Germany.

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
I think a lot of people don't realize there's a lot of nuance in Mel Brooks' movies and assume that those of us who care about PC just rail against everything.

It's about who's being targeted as the butt of the joke and Brooks pretty much always punches up. Blazing Saddles has some terminology that's not acceptable in polite society but it was used to convey a point... And the people that are the most vocally anti PC are also usually the ones that try to portray themselves as "real salt of the earth types", they probably wouldn't be happy about the mirror that a modern Blazing Saddles holds up to them.
Oh for sure! The underlying message in all his films is always inclusion and anti racism/general stoopidity. :)

MarsUltor

Aug 2, 2018
View attachment 3908033
Then get your ass in gear and start binging them! Brooks early movies (and most of the later as well) are some of the funniest movies ever made.

But if they where made today some of them would be considered VERY not PC ;)
You tell 'em!

The following are "required viewing":
  • Mel Brooks movies: The Producers, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankestein, Silent Movie, High Anxiety, History of the World Part 1, Spaceballs, Robin Hood - Men in Tights, and Dracula - Dead and Loving It.
  • Monty Python movies: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
  • It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
You tell 'em!

• Mel Brooks movies: The Producers, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankestein, Silent Movie, High Anxiety, History of the World Part 1, Spaceballs, Robin Hood - Men in Tights, and Dracula - Dead and Loving It.
  • Monty Python movies: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Damn that is a good list!

e6mill

Aug 4, 2022
List needs Yellowbeard. :)

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
You tell 'em!

You left at least one out in my opinion. Whether or not people hate the actor, the movie is still awesome.
Woody Allen's: Sleeper. Also as a special mention: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex: But Were Afraid to Ask.

MarsUltor

Aug 2, 2018
You left at least one out in my opinion. Whether or not people hate the actor, the movie is still awesome.
Woody Allen's: Sleeper. Also as a special mention: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex: But Were Afraid to Ask.
Woody Allen is also a comedic genius, though of a different type (and definitely a piece of work as an individual). Nobody does "comedic angst" or "comedic awkwardness" (in both cases, often just slightly understated) better than him.

keefer43

Dec 24, 2019

Here:

Satou Pendragon

Engaged Member
Jan 24, 2018
Soooooo... Correct me if I'm wrong... Something good could happen for those hangin' 'round this thread in say... a couple of hours?

In 2h55m to be exact...;)

*looks around* Good this time I don't see Trop posting before me again... :ROFLMAO:

4.00 star(s) 103 Votes