2.70 star(s) 41 Votes

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
Im not as frustrated by some of the reviews in the grinding nature of this - but what I dont like is how for certain periods of the day, olivia just is NOWHERE, and itll pop up in a weird way like "here Ill go try these clothes on" - literally disappears off the plane of matter.

Also her manner as at 0, but she doesnt smack talk me giving the prompts to correct whatdo? she says pls n ty for everything.

gopherino

Dec 23, 2021
Im not as frustrated by some of the reviews in the grinding nature of this - but what I dont like is how for certain periods of the day, olivia just is NOWHERE, and itll pop up in a weird way like "here Ill go try these clothes on" - literally disappears off the plane of matter.

Also her manner as at 0, but she doesnt smack talk me giving the prompts to correct whatdo? she says pls n ty for everything.
In this, like lots of sandbox games, characters only appear somewhere when there is some action possible, some choice or progress that the player can do. Some sandbox authors put dummy responses like "Leave" so they can show a character, but many just leave the player off the sandbox. Celavie does other things that are "unrealistic", like having a character be available in two or more locations at one time. This is a branch in the game, possibly, or just something similar to a "Leave" choice sitting by itself with a character in a location. This game is not a map of reality, but more like a visual novel with the ability to access parts in different orders, omit things, and so on. And, IMHO, Celavie does it best of all. You will get to appreciate him better as you play more and compare more.

• Angry
Reactions: dav121

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
In this, like lots of sandbox games, characters only appear somewhere when there is some action possible, some choice or progress that the player can do. Some sandbox authors put dummy responses like "Leave" so they can show a character, but many just leave the player off the sandbox. Celavie does other things that are "unrealistic", like having a character be available in two or more locations at one time. This is a branch in the game, possibly, or just something similar to a "Leave" choice sitting by itself with a character in a location. This game is not a map of reality, but more like a visual novel with the ability to access parts in different orders, omit things, and so on. And, IMHO, Celavie does it best of all. You will get to appreciate him better as you play more and compare more.
Thats not true though - I would love it if that were the case - now having finished ch3 (which was the most grindy by far), there's no indication to which of the olivia appearances actually make progress, and some seem tangential to episode change.

In 3, that was awful gameplay to have to go through each and every hour that shes home, leaving doors unlocked, having him come in, only to see if there was a SLIGHTLY different interaction which would indicate to the player progress was being made. I'm halfway through 4 now, and it's much better in this regard, but ch 3 was a huge low point for these mechanics.

I think my initial complaint also factored in that there's a tight timeline for her activities, so knowing her location is all the more important (not missing breakfast/study, etc) - compare to say a game like bad bobby where the characters aren't around a lot of the time, but also you arent punished for skipping large steps of time foreward.

gopherino

Dec 23, 2021
Thats not true though - I would love it if that were the case - now having finished ch3 (which was the most grindy by far), there's no indication to which of the olivia appearances actually make progress, and some seem tangential to episode change.

In 3, that was awful gameplay to have to go through each and every hour that shes home, leaving doors unlocked, having him come in, only to see if there was a SLIGHTLY different interaction which would indicate to the player progress was being made. I'm halfway through 4 now, and it's much better in this regard, but ch 3 was a huge low point for these mechanics.

I think my initial complaint also factored in that there's a tight timeline for her activities, so knowing her location is all the more important (not missing breakfast/study, etc) - compare to say a game like bad bobby where the characters aren't around a lot of the time, but also you arent punished for skipping large steps of time foreward.
You might be right about ep 3, as it was so long ago I don't remember it. What I said does apply to the latest episodes. Perhaps Bob learned how to improve his game organization during this game, but then I wonder if the two previous games were as slick as the last portion of MFL. I hadn't figured out how to play efficiently when I was doing those two, so they might have been poorer and I didn't appreciate it. I didn't know how to access renpy code then either, so I don't know if the code organization in these earlier games was as well laid out as the last portion of MFL.

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
You might be right about ep 3, as it was so long ago I don't remember it. What I said does apply to the latest episodes. Perhaps Bob learned how to improve his game organization during this game, but then I wonder if the two previous games were as slick as the last portion of MFL. I hadn't figured out how to play efficiently when I was doing those two, so they might have been poorer and I didn't appreciate it. I didn't know how to access renpy code then either, so I don't know if the code organization in these earlier games was as well laid out as the last portion of MFL.
Yeah I've finished it up through 11 now and it definitely gets smoother in the later chapters (barring the chapter transition bugs)'

To the latter part of your comment, it's definitely true he changed the structure midway through - eg you can see with the earlier episode resets they werent inclusive of past events-

renpo.png

There's still a suspicously high number of hanging events and bad links - at least between the transition of 3+ episodes, makes me wonder if little attention has been paid to smooth operation of the game in full - I think it was 7 that I went through two weeks before I noticed that I wasnt getting any bookmarks, and dug deeper to find the episode shift from 6 omitted setting the "$ episode7 = 1".

There's still some continuity stuff in the end chapters - I'm sure you remember all the times olivia says at dinner "ill be on computer, whatsherface will be at pool, and martine will be in kitchen" and the latter two are in their respective places, olivia is either in room or mia, or "we should take a shower together now" lol shower empty post jog.

Still decent game overall, I coulda done without the grody old men side story (i DONT mind ntr stuff, I just want attractive people all around)

gopherino

Dec 23, 2021
Yeah I've finished it up through 11 now and it definitely gets smoother in the later chapters (barring the chapter transition bugs)'

To the latter part of your comment, it's definitely true he changed the structure midway through - eg you can see with the earlier episode resets they werent inclusive of past events-

View attachment 2138584

There's still a suspicously high number of hanging events and bad links - at least between the transition of 3+ episodes, makes me wonder if little attention has been paid to smooth operation of the game in full - I think it was 7 that I went through two weeks before I noticed that I wasnt getting any bookmarks, and dug deeper to find the episode shift from 6 omitted setting the "$ episode7 = 1".

There's still some continuity stuff in the end chapters - I'm sure you remember all the times olivia says at dinner "ill be on computer, whatsherface will be at pool, and martine will be in kitchen" and the latter two are in their respective places, olivia is either in room or mia, or "we should take a shower together now" lol shower empty post jog.

Still decent game overall, I coulda done without the grody old men side story (i DONT mind ntr stuff, I just want attractive people all around)
You are certainly right about the contnuity problems in the end chapters. I noticed them, but paid no attention to them as they did not impede moving forward with the main lines of the story. One example I remember, and it may give clues to how construction went forward, is that often Olivia would be asked at dinner about what she was going to do that evening, and she would say she was going to use the computer (in the office) to pursue finding her father. But going to the office never finds her there, except, in ep10 I think, once where she has some details to share. Bob builds a scene (or a portion of one) and then re-uses it as continuity, and perhaps when building it he had plans to do something else (like Olivia being in the office in the evening in say ep9), but plans changed and he didn't go back and revise the already completed scene portion. I note that he is a one-man show, as far as I can tell, and has been putting out updates monthly, rather regularly, so he has to be efficient in how he uses his time and the continuity gaps are what gets left out. Personally, I'm very impressed with the game, despite the gaps and other low-consequence bugs, and I would rather have an update once a month that a bug-free update every two months. It's a tradeoff.

Reactions: Pr0GamerJohnny

warriork

Dec 9, 2017
I'm on android apk stuck at episode 2 to episode 3 when Olivia change hair color and returns to MC house and I have 51/89 bookmarks then game starts from episode 1 when Olivia first moved in MC house but on top of screen is episode 2 and I don't know how to progress further in game with this bug

ayy

Sep 14, 2016
I find most of the fun lies in the progression of character corruption and gradual changes in the outfit as they continue to be corrupted. Maybe in this game, compared to your previous titles Celaviegroup the outfits became a bit too lewd too quickly? Honestly was a huge fan of the main LI in MBFD and her choice in outfits.

Also kinda miss the "control the LI from their perspective" thing you had going on in the previous title as well. Hope you have some ideas on integrating something of the sort in your next game!

Reactions: Burg

Hellster

Engaged Member
May 18, 2019
Also kinda miss the "control the LI from their perspective" thing you had going on in the previous title as well. Hope you have some ideas on integrating something of the sort in your next game!
There is :)

Angora Kitty

Sep 20, 2018
I found that the verymost textstyles and icons are too much small for a use on android-devices (cellphone, tablet).
I prefer a rework of its sizes.

pothb

Jan 28, 2018
For the hair dresser issue/bug. It resets to ep1.

Well, for some reason, he calls game reset after the hairdresser event, not sure why, maybe he has a reason with how he codes thing, i'm not going through all of it, but if you look at common_1.rpy, you can just remove the line 2576 and it seems to work again.

2.70 star(s) 41 Votes