xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
We also generally become surprised, when others do not see the same similarity as we do.
"Really?? You don't see it? Wow! But it's so clear, to me."
Which is presumably why, when one person sees something that makes them think of "Actress X", they automatically assume that Actress X must be who the dev had in mind.

I had the same discussion in DeLuca Family, recently. Someone thought a character there was "definitely inspired by" some Anime character that I'd never heard of, simply because she reminded him, personally, of that character.
I said that you might want to check that the dev has ever even watched the show, before saying the character in his game was definitely inspired by it. :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Just a question out of curiosity, is it bad if it really would have a reensamblance with someone, (example there are on this site a lot of games were the LI remember me of some girlfriends ex couples or somone I know, I mean like you said it is all in our minds,
Ok I don´t know which consequences it would have if a dev openly admit that he was inspired by somone of the Public life.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Just a question out of curiosity, is it bad if it really would have a reensamblance with someone, (example there are on this site a lot of games were the LI remember me of some girlfriends ex couples or somone I know, I mean like you said it is all in our minds,
Ok I don´t know which consequences it would have if a dev openly admit that he was inspired by somone of the Public life.
I expect that, if the dev openly stated that the character in his game was based on a pop-star, film-star, pop-culture character, then it would be subject to paying royalties, as I'm sure most of those people and characters are trademarks.
It might even be subject to defamation of character, maybe libel, lawsuits.

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
whichone , thank´s bro that was what I guessed, I think it is also a matter of if the game is successfull or not, true is money rules the world.
In Moth "Veronica" and her Girlfriend, rememberd me of an girfriend, and a crush I had, and that made that the game grew so dear to me.

Reactions: whichone

Coyote01

Jan 26, 2020
Probably not.
The coming update was planned to be the final one, but it's now looking like there might be a Halloween Special.
View attachment 2073710
New game will be something where the MC is a bodyguard.
Final release of this game, if that Halloween episode poll gets accepted, will be end of October.
Thank you for posting this information. (y)

I would be very happy if there was a Halloween update. :D

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
It's not likely that the dev has ever met your ex.
No, I comented that in the old tread, :ROFLMAO: ;) and is was not only part of her personality It was more her looks, it was not a 100% just enogh to make my mind asociate no big deal it were nice memories.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
No, I comented that in the old tread, :ROFLMAO: ;) and is was not only part of her personality It was more her looks, it was not a 100% just enogh to make my mind asociate no big deal it were nice memories.
Yes, sometimes you even get a strong reminder of someone when you look at an actor\actress, but cannot understand why.
Under scrutiny, they don't really look like the person you know, but there's just something about them.
Mannerisms, gestures, even facial expressions can all create a sense of familiarity.

A certain look, at a certain time & a celebrity can be the double of a friend or colleague that they normally look nothing like. 5 seconds later they look nothing like them, as usual.
It was just that look.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Ah, yeah, there is a game on this page I cannot play because one of the LIs is uncannily alike in looks and also character (as far as you can tell from a game) to some girl I know in real life and may or may not have had sex with, that it feels ultra weird. Certainly that can happen.

However I doubt that a GM living on a different continent was inspired by somebody from rural Switzerland.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Yes, sometimes you even get a strong reminder of someone when you look at an actor\actress, but cannot understand why.
Under scrutiny, they don't really look like the person you know, but there's just something about them.
Mannerisms, gestures, even facial expressions can all create a sense of familiarity.
And that reminds me of some guy I don't know who seems to work or live close to my office and can often be found on the streets. Whenever he's 100m away or I catch him out of the corner of an eye, I think "oh, my friend X is here" and turn around, only to notice "no, just this weird guy from around here". But even though I know it's not my friend the moment I turn my head a different way again, my brains begins to insist anew that he is right over there.

• Thinking Face

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
And that reminds me of some guy I don't know who seems to work or live close to my office and can often be found on the streets. Whenever he's 100m away or I catch him out of the corner of an eye, I think "oh, my friend X is here" and turn around, only to notice "no, just this weird guy from around here". But even though I know it's not my friend the moment I turn my head a different way again, my brains begins to insist anew that he is right over there.
Well, don't forget that the brain plays tricks on us & takes shortcuts.
e.g. You walk into your kitchen every morning. When you walk in, you think you see everything.
You don't.
The mind takes a template of what it normally looks like, then just uses the eyes to scan for differences.
It uses less energy, so is more efficient.
It's why your eye immediately gets drawn to things that are out of place, because they do not match the mental template of "normal kitchen".

I wonder if something similar might be at play, with seeing similarities in people, like that. :unsure:
The snapshot of the guy has enough similarity for the mind to pair it with the mental image of your friend, so your mind says "It's my friend".
Then, under any form of closer inspection, he looks nothing like him.
But the mind does the same thing again, when you turn away.

A lot of magician's tricks are based on exploiting the way that the eye communicates with the brain, or the shortcuts which the brain takes, in order to make us see something, or not.

Last edited:

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
However I doubt that a GM living on a different continent was inspired by somebody from rural Switzerland.
:oops::unsure: Well my "Veronica" was from the Southern part of Germany (Kempten) a few Km to the Swiss border .....:eek::eek:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Nah, nothing but funny coincidences.

• Hey there
Reactions: Cartageno

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I expect that, if the dev openly stated that the character in his game was based on a pop-star, film-star, pop-culture character, then it would be subject to paying royalties, as I'm sure most of those people and characters are trademarks.
It might even be subject to defamation of character, maybe libel, lawsuits.
Well, there are ways with parody laws, and an homage is usually acceptable, but it is better safe than sorry, most of the time.
No, that's not him. ;)

JiiEf

Aug 1, 2019
I grabbed the Steam version as I dropped from Faerin's Patreon a while back. Annoying issue on the mac version at least, where clicking ahead causes a crackle every few clicks. Also looks like my old saves don't unlock the "end scene" for everybody, or I'm just confoozled somehow. We'll see.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian
4.00 star(s) 243 Votes