Lou111

Jun 2, 2018
Love it. Also love how the preview images are being updated... must be hard to do because you never see that anymore. Old school.

Reactions: Legionary JR-586

mecha_froggy

Oct 17, 2018
I suggest making sure that actual game mechanics get at least much attention as the sex parts, else you'll fall into the trap of "glorified animation viewer" that plagues ambitious projects like this.

Reactions: atimo42

vimto

Jan 15, 2018
Keeping an eye on this project. Don't take it the wrong way but I would like to wait until it is more update and content packed. Seems ambitious but all support to you!

raska42

Feb 16, 2018
Been keeping an eye on the project, but I don't think it's at a point where I'd be able to give it a fair shot yet. One small request for the thread though, would you consider adding a list of current features and their degree of implementation alongside the changelog? Don't think I'm the only person who's moving from skeptical to cautiously optimistic about this getting to a playable point that would like to be able to easily see where it's at. Isn't a huge thing, but it'd be handy.

Legionary JR-586

Legionary of a lost legion.
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2020
I suggest making sure that actual game mechanics get at least much attention as the sex parts, else you'll fall into the trap of "glorified animation viewer" that plagues ambitious projects like this.
...right now i have been doing the opposite. Adding and coding game mechanics, and the sex part as been left behind.

Keeping an eye on this project. Don't take it the wrong way but I would like to wait until it is more update and content packed. Seems ambitious but all support to you!
Yes, please do, and thank you.

One small request for the thread though, would you consider adding a list of current features and their degree of implementation alongside the changelog?
I was thinking on reviving my old blog page and post some stuff there... i'll see what i have time to do.

This game will have shantytowns beneath city's walls? This one thing was really missing from the html version
It makes realistic cense.... so i had to do it.

I’m interested to test the rules assistant implementation. That was always one of my issues with the original game, I could never get it to work in a way I quite liked.
It will that some work, but i'm aiming to, not only make general rules, add more individual options. Again, this will take some work do be achieved.

pemoj

Feb 26, 2019
I wish good luck and a huge success to this developer while creating this game, which is very promising. But experience with similar games (hello Station Master, among others) shows that games that big, ambitious and complex made by one man only are difficult to develop and they have a long developent.

A thing caught my attention. I could see some local languages and nacionalities, for example basque and catalan. I dont´see any reason to do things like these, quite the opposite. The game is complex by nature, don´t make it more difficult to develop yet. I´m Spanish, and I can tell you:

Basque speaking people: 2.200.000
Catalonian speaking people: 7.500.000
Spanish speaking people: 585.000.000

As you can see, local/regional languages are superflous. I reccomend you to stick to the official national languages, not to local ones to simplify the game without non needed local languages and nationalities. I don´t understand why I should own a guy fluent in Basque, for example, when any Basque speaks Spanish by nature.

P.D. You forgot "gallego", the cradle of Portuguese language :p

Legionary JR-586

Game Developer
Jul 26, 2020
Thanks for the feedback.

I wish good luck and a huge success to this developer while creating this game, which is very promising. But experience with similar games (hello Station Master, among others) shows that games that big, ambitious and complex made by one man only are difficult to develop and they have a long developent.
I can't promise i won't fall in some of the "traps", but from my experience, i know i can't be flexible with content and constantly be adding more, and more. Even me, as a developer, can stretch so much without suffer from project burnout. This i know. I also know that it will be a long dev cycle.

A thing caught my attention. I could see some local languages and nacionalities, for example basque and catalan. I dont´see any reason to do things like these, quite the opposite. The game is complex by nature, don´t make it more difficult to develop yet.
As you can see, local/regional languages are superflous. I reccomend you to stick to the official national languages, not to local ones to simplify the game without non needed local languages and nationalities. I don´t understand why I should own a guy fluent in Basque, for example, when any Basque speaks Spanish by nature.
In this i disagree with you.
One thing that i didn't like in the original free cities it's the constraint in slave market. I mean You have all these connections, communications capability, power, etc... and you can't search the local markets, the various existing world markets, raiding party's, mercs, criminals, etc... for a specific type of slave. A simple query would do! Pregmod improved this, but the main "problem" maintains.
So to get to the point, this wont affect the play much, the arcology location will (what type race the majority of citizens will appear), but as for the rest, no. You will have a mechanic to ask these agents/merchants/suppliers, for a type of slave that you want to buy from the get got... again, a simple query.
It will be more of a side note than anything. Leaving the player open, to chose to be whatever they want and get whoever they want.

P.D. You forgot "gallego", the cradle of Portuguese language :p
I did!? Well... i'm sure that i forgot, or plainly don't know, about many languages. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Last edited:

pemoj

Feb 26, 2019
I did!? Well... i'm sure that i forgot, or plainly don't know, about many languages.
I prefer to write "you forgot" instead "you don´t know" :cool:

Man, Europe is a very complex continent with lots of small nationalities. In the Middle Age, modern France and Italy were composed of tens of small countries and free states, the Holy Roman Empire (eufemism of current Germany) was composed of 350+ states and free cities. I don´t feel the need to get to this level of detail and regionalism.

Sometimes things are more complex yet. For example, this is Galicia, Spain, where Gallego is spoken (sort of).
1024px-Galicia_in_Spain_(plus_Canarias).svg.png
But there is another region called Galicia on Eastern Europe:
1024px-Location_Galicia_in_Europe.svg.png
Things like these could create an unnecesary issue. In Russia it´s common to find all across the country several towns with exactly the same name, sometimes more than 10. What about American Indians, do we really need Cherokees, Navajos, Mexicas, Incas, etc? I don´t think so. Why Flemish and Walloons instead Belgians? I can go on and on, but that´s not neccesary.

Edited to add that there is a French Basque region and French Catalonia (Rosellón).

Legionary JR-586

Game Developer
Jul 26, 2020
I prefer to write "you forgot" instead "you don´t know" :cool:
Some i forgot, some i don't know.

Man, Europe is a very complex continent with lots of small nationalities. In the Middle Age, modern France and Italy were composed of tens of small countries and free states, the Holy Roman Empire (eufemism of current Germany) was composed of 350+ states and free cities. I don´t feel the need to get to this level of detail and regionalism.

Sometimes things are more complex yet. For example, this is Galicia, Spain, where Gallego is spoken (sort of).
View attachment 933445
But there is another region called Galicia on Eastern Europe:
View attachment 933446
I know.... but they don't have Santiago de Compostela.

Things like these could create an unnecesary issue. In Russia it´s common to find all across the country several towns with exactly the same name, sometimes more than 10. What about American Indians, do we really need Cherokees, Navajos, Mexicas, Incas, etc? I don´t think so. Why Flemish and Walloons instead Belgians? I can go on and on, but that´s not neccesary.

Edited to add that there is a French Basque region and French Catalonia (Rosellón).
The Free Cities world it's semi-realitic, where the world as gone mad and on the brink of destruction. If you want to be a Paraguayan arcology owner, in a Irish Gaelic speaking arcology situated in Africa, you can do that. I'm not forcing the choice, but you can do that. There is the option.
If you want me to add more languages to the game.... sure no problem. Like i said, it wont affect things, just more flavour to the game.

pemoj

Feb 26, 2019
The Free Cities world it's semi-realitic, where the world as gone mad and on the brink of destruction. If you want to be a Paraguayan arcology owner, in a Irish Gaelic speaking arcology situated in Africa, you can do that. I'm not forcing the choice, but you can do that. There is the option.
If you want me to add more languages to the game.... sure no problem. Like i said, it wont affect things, just more flavour to the game.
Ok, thank you for the answers. I won´t insist, your game, your rules.

May 31, 2018
As a suggestion, would allowing for community made/written work be an option for helping your workflow? I don’t know how much flexibility Unity gives in that sense, and that might be a bit troublesome when keeping in Patreon guidelines.

Sewyoba

Jul 22, 2018
As a suggestion, would allowing for community made/written work be an option for helping your workflow? I don’t know how much flexibility Unity gives in that sense, and that might be a bit troublesome when keeping in Patreon guidelines.
There's not much moddability out of the box, unfortunately, and making game with modding in mind takes lots and lots of planning. There's a lot of issues to it as well, like, for importing models to Unity you either need to buy or write a model converter at runtime or to force modders to use Unity themselves and pack models as unitypackages with a set of rules enforced so that game would see models inside those packages.

BlursedBenis

Apr 4, 2020
Only discovered this project an hour ago and can say I am impressed. Being a big fan of Free Cities and then Pregmod, this looks interesting.

Not sure what to think of the game being in 3D, but I will remain open-minded and have faith that the dev is doing their best to make this project come to fruition.

Bit sad to hear the hyper-pregnancy/broodmother content is currently not a priority (baby steps people, baby steps!), but I understand the dev has their own vision for this game and there are more important aspects which need developing first.

Good luck to the dev and I will definitely be keeping an eye on this project! :)

Klausus

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2019
Not sure what to think of the game being in 3D, but I will remain open-minded and have faith that the dev is doing their best to make this project come to fruition.
I think it's pretty unnecessary, since the lack of graphics there didn't lessen the game experience from the original game.
Where i would have liked more graphics is in the girl department. I think the polygon mod was pretty good and if i had wished for better graphics, then it was there (i disiked the other graphic mod, since it was too static in my opinion).

Anyway, i wish the Developer good luck, since the original game was pretty good and therefore the expectations from many players will be pretty high, it's no easy task.

Rexaureus

Oct 21, 2017
Bit of them both. Some "freedoms" of the pregmod wont be present in this project. Thing of an updated version of Free Cities, but with some cut content form pregmod.
Would you mind specifying this? Which contents are going to get removed?

As interesting as it might seem, I don't think that this one will even get close to the base game (the best mods for HTML Free Cities are a completly different beast) - not without cutting corners, content and customisation options. If not the game will be like 100GB and released in 2050 or so...
I only ever found the PregMod, can you please tell me which mods are those?

DOMifying most things
What?

When I play Free Cities I try to make it where slaves have better lives than even the middle class. Like "This one is branded as a slave of the archology so her education is far superior than that of the average citizen." I hope that the restrictions on education for slaves currently can be altered at some point. I want to turn the hierarchy on its head, cause that shit is Fun. I want my girls to have more pocket money than everyone else cause thats how I roll man.
Wow, you play remarkably the same way I do. I could never bring myself to amputee my slaves or something like that for sick pleasure. I always found myself bringing them in and then after their devotion maxed out I would go heavy on education, living standards, and health standards before ultimately deciding to keep them instead of selling them (Hard to sell a slave you put so much time and effort into). Pretty sure my Free City slaves live better lives then most RL humans do at this point. ,-,
Same thing here, I have already tried to make an evil character, but my own, IRL personality wouldn't allow that.

The engines are too different, he would have to essentially rewrite all the code anyway and he would then not be taking advantage of Unity's pros compared to the original. I hope he implements all the systems Pregmod has, but that project got too bloated, last time I played the base features were still very repetitive and lacking in content.
I think that know what you meant, I'm pretty sure they removed a good part of the content, specially the flavor texts that happened when you assigned slaves to jobs personally.

3.80 star(s) 4 Votes