3.00 star(s) 2 Votes

DisturbedMan

Feb 5, 2018
Agreed DisturbedMan
So I had a few ideas that came out of helping another Dev friends get some basics going on.

1.) Changing up Camera Angles Giving more of the old school Vibe.
~ With that would need some changes for how indoor areas would work (Most likely stick more outside instead and use
ray cast trick to make objects in between player and camera go transparent.
~ More arcade type Shooting instead of Over the shoulder

Pros:
~Optimization
~Interesting Look
~Arcade Shooting
~More PCS can play
~Might make a lot of development once established quicker
Cons:
~Maybe looks lesser quality
~Will Take Some Time to implement
~Difficult for inside buildings or ships (doable just a challenge)
~Depending if its a locked camera or not. Sex scenes may not be as nice (not that now they are great)

2.) RPG elements
~ Beyond just a story always has been planned to have Eden and followers their own skills, traits, feats, stats.
~ This also allows a lot better experience with Dialogue and choices based on level of skills
~ Sex scenes can also be tied into this making a level of TRUST or attractiveness needed to engage them
~ More than a linear walking shooting talking simulator.

Pros
~Makes the game much more rich

Cons
~Come people just want sexual content

3.) Sex Scenes
~This is difficult on a few levels. I enjoy animating, but with High quality models etc it is hard to say the least.
~Software we use makes gentalia difficult to get the way we want (Nice renders with Daz someone made that just work with the actual morphs and mesh. I do not have that, since not using daz.)
~Could do some nice Renders to go along with some of the game play? Another step, but ease up on immense time of animation detail work.

Theses are the main things I am debating as of right now. Depending could lead towards scraping the PRELUDE section and
diving straight into new design concept and game play. Considering most people leaned towards negative feedback it might not be a bad idea to re imagine Neon Eden, but keep a huge amount of work that was already done?

What do you all think?
Well... Very interesting. Let me give you some feedback:
- As you have pointed out, the shift in camera perspective may result in some issues on several levels. But if you want to proceede with the change, here are some ideas that may resolve them:
* Use a custom shader to hide meshes between the camera and player. &
* You can custom make assets for interiors & combine your custom shader to make the best use of them. I strongly recommend you blockout your scenes in 3DSMax or Blender and export to the engine to see how things look and feel. In addition, plan out or draw the entire layout of the level on paper before hand. Also, if you plan to have a hub area, you better plan and blockout that early in dev. I highly suggesst you play & one of the games.
* What you haven't mentioned is the change in camera perspective would also mean a change in movement inputs. You can't play the game in a traditional way (W.A.S.D) since it will be hard. Again, think about this before making the jump. (TP is still good if you want more feedback on that)
* RPG elements need to be more simple and not very complicated. As I said before in one of my older posts: check your scope. Make some side quests to gain Trust or Relationship Points with NPCs, some bounties, but don't make a non-linear story. You will crumble before even starting.
* For sex scenes: hire an animator or use the premade anims for daz. there are good ones here too. You can make a system in Unity that will play a random premade animation combo from a list (an array) every time the player wants to have fun with a hooker NPC. For Love Interests, just make it play a premade clip or 2 in case the player comes back for more. It is up to you and will certainly make things more easier. This is how Witcher 2, 3 & Cyberpunk 2077 made the prostitutes work (how I know? I mod those games :D)

At last, I recommend you trying out this idea in Unreal 4 (trust me there buddy, the performance gain is worth the hassle).
If you need more, just ask :)

Last edited:

RickyPhatts

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2022
All very good points. Already worked through new prototype on iso camera, shader changed if object caught between camera and player, Mouse click movement alongside WASD. Unreal is great, Just Unity has its strongpoints as well, but agreed on a lot of the optimization gains making the switch. Will have to think on some of this more, but already i am liking the prototype and vision. really cuts down scope a lot as well which can be a huge perk.
I really liked your idea on the sex scenes trying to cut in more premade animation cutscnes, and less control over it. Would again for at first make this a much easier situation to handle, then aiming to give Players a ton of control during the Bang sessions.,

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
Had a few issues, but for such early release I really liked it. Am a sucked for the space / cyber type themes, but look forward to more. I think some smaller scope as you have said might be a good idea.

• Red Heart
Reactions: RickyPhatts
3.00 star(s) 2 Votes