stochastic

Dec 21, 2019
There are a few scenes that lean heavily into the dub-consensual or non-consensual though. For example the
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Similarly in
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Those are some of my favorite scenes in the game, though if you read closely, you'll notice that the ladies involved always eventually consent (at least to sex, if not insemination). For some people that's exactly what they're looking for, but I know a lot of people (including me) would like a little less consent, at least sometimes.

The whole reason I wrote the officeHarass scene that's in the game is so that it can be replaced with a non-con version that goes considerably further.

LagNag

Nov 27, 2018
Also you can check this out:
It's a GoogleDoc of all the currently known custom scenes, both con and non-con and shared characters (I'm not related to this Doc in anyway, and take no credit good or bad for it's content, or lack thereof)

As for the pervy nightclub stuff, that's in the attached file, though do note it's non-con focused. I do believe there is a normal version in the Doc, though.

The events in the "additional scenes/official content" folder are ones that get triggered in game normally yes, but AFAIK putting a custom scene inside that folder does nothing unless it overwrites an existing scene without making significant changes to the actors involved. ie You can't just make a fully new scene, and just reuse an existing scene name and expect it to work. But additional outcomes can be added in, or the scene can be converted to a more non-con feel, as I've seen a common NC mod that alters the office harassment event to make the boss have a more demanding tone as you progress and he feels more controlling.
Could we get a mod to pin this to the OP? So that we won't have to post it again and again after a few pages.

Reactions: drone4of2

Krotoc

Oct 11, 2018
The whole reason I wrote the officeHarass scene that's in the game is so that it can be replaced with a non-con version that goes considerably further.
What traits does the office boss need to trigger this scene I have looked at the event files and no matter what I do I cannot seem to get this event to fire even if I set its weight extremely high.

stochastic

Dec 21, 2019
What traits does the office boss need to trigger this scene I have looked at the event files and no matter what I do I cannot seem to get this event to fire even if I set its weight extremely high.
Confusingly, the officeHarass scene is for the sales job, not the office job. The office job didn't exist when I wrote the scene, so I figured that since you're getting harassed while in the office, I should just call it that.

It will fire most often for sleazy jerk sales bosses that don't like the player character.

Reactions: Krotoc

anedwcan

Sep 25, 2017
Newlife does attempt to model arousal overcoming reluctance. Options like 'Put a stop to this' will disappear in some scenes if the PC fails a willpower check. But even with low willpower characters there are some scenes where I've never seen the option disappear - maybe something's been overlooked.
That's fine. But if the only way to get to such situations in the first place is to actively agree to take men home (etc) it kind of misses the point.

I'm not interested in playing a cruel tease that gets what's coming to her. I'm interested in a happy go-lucky woman that by chance just happens to find a lot of dick inside her.

Not being able to "put a stop to this" is hot when it's your boss at work, a business client you're meeting, or perhaps even a construction worker you're passing by in the street. (Better would be to keep the ability to say "put a stop to it" but the game deciding you're too aroused to really mean it...!)

Being able to "put a stop to this" (and him honoring your wish) when you've danced all night with a guy and then agreed to take him home to your apartment feels more like a lesson in how to behave IRL and that's just not what I want out of a pron game.

Reactions: quiboune

anedwcan

Sep 25, 2017
There are a few scenes that lean heavily into the dub-consensual or non-consensual though.
Well, if you need to play through twenty times the amount of "vanilla" sex it doesn't really make a difference...

Perhaps there will be a mod later on...

Solomon Grundy

Nov 25, 2021
That's fine. But if the only way to get to such situations in the first place is to actively agree to take men home (etc) it kind of misses the point.

I'm not interested in playing a cruel tease that gets what's coming to her. I'm interested in a happy go-lucky woman that by chance just happens to find a lot of dick inside her.

Not being able to "put a stop to this" is hot when it's your boss at work, a business client you're meeting, or perhaps even a construction worker you're passing by in the street. (Better would be to keep the ability to say "put a stop to it" but the game deciding you're too aroused to really mean it...!)

Being able to "put a stop to this" (and him honoring your wish) when you've danced all night with a guy and then agreed to take him home to your apartment feels more like a lesson in how to behave IRL and that's just not what I want out of a pron game.
Try playing a low willpower character, that might be what you're looking for. If she dances with a man she finds attractive all night, especially with a few drinks in her, she won't have an option to not take him home, and then when they start kissing, she usually won't have the option to put a stop to it, because she's failed that will check.

Reactions: anedwcan

anedwcan

Sep 25, 2017
Try playing a low willpower character, that might be what you're looking for. If she dances with a man she finds attractive all night, especially with a few drinks in her, she won't have an option to not take him home, and then when they start kissing, she usually won't have the option to put a stop to it, because she's failed that will check.
Thank you for your suggestions.

However, that's not my kink.

The difference?

I want to make choices a "nice" and proper girl would take, except that doesn't always work! Personally speaking, I don't get a kick out of being forced into make a choice like "bring him home". To my primitive lizard brain, there's no difference between making that choice by myself and the game UI simply offering no alternatives. I want game options to "push him away", "rebutton my blouse", "ask him to stop pinching my nipples", "only let him insert the tip", and "frantically try to push him out, I only agreed to bareback sex because he promised to pull out"... (etc) :)

Perhaps my outlook becomes clear if I tell you I'm not into mc (mindcontrol). There's no excitement, no "will she, won't she?", if the girl is forced into slutty actions. It simply brings my kink to a screeching halt, which is to see a proper girl that thinks of herself as a decent woman, end up fucked and knocked up anyway. And still consider herself upstanding ("it was just that one time!").

You say this game disables options like "go home alone" or perhaps "brush off his advances". My ideal game - and this is perhaps a bit extreme just to make my point carry across - doesn't disable these "no" choices; instead it makes them ineffectual or unreliable. The male isn't passively waiting for the girl's decision, he makes inappropriate advances all by himself. (If she's a bit drunk, too horny, or the NPC simply is a big-dicked alpha male, have there be a 80% chance of the hypothetical "shake your head" choice lead to the "smile as he grabs your ass" outcome instead, etc... The player selected the first choice, but the game proceeded as if you chose the second)

Hope that explains the difference.

Last edited:

fass

Sep 10, 2017
I wonder how much total to date this game has taken in in money? Compare that to what has been crowdfunded and finished or privately developed and funded and finished by other developers. I'd bet it would be pretty shocking having seen some pretty low numbers for visual novel fetish stuff (that obviously has added cost of art comissioned, sound or music). It seems horribly inefficient process.

For instance "At Your Feet" is a fetish visual novel finished and for sale. Game got what, six or seven thousand bucks total to complete? Art, sound, story written, game produced. Done out to market. Even had an original song with lyrics made for it. I know SO was getting thousands of bucks a month at one point. So for the cost of one or two months of this game, you can crank out a full visual novel of original writing, art and music. And what do you get in this game? One modder's scene added? A text description of a new outfit? A single scene you will finish in literally five minutes or less? This has gone on for years. Really brings home that there's something wrong.

Found the old KS page.

Itch.io is full of lots of small or solo developer games made on far less than SO has taken in and with a lot of content. You've got to question if giving someone thousands of dollars a month blindly with no schedule or milestones or goals to meet is wise.

fass

Sep 10, 2017
Thank you for your suggestions.

However, that's not my kink.

The difference?

I want to make choices a "nice" and proper girl would take, except that doesn't always work! Personally speaking, I don't get a kick out of being forced into make a choice like "bring him home". To my primitive lizard brain, there's no difference between making that choice by myself and the game UI simply offering no alternatives. I want game options to "push him away", "rebutton my blouse", "ask him to stop pinching my nipples", "only let him insert the tip", and "frantically try to push him out, I only agreed to bareback sex because he promised to pull out"... (etc) :)

Perhaps my outlook becomes clear if I tell you I'm not into mc (mindcontrol). There's no excitement, no "will she, won't she?", if the girl is forced into slutty actions. It simply brings my kink to a screeching halt, which is to see a proper girl that thinks of herself as a decent woman, end up fucked and knocked up anyway. And still consider herself upstanding ("it was just that one time!").

You say this game disables options like "go home alone" or perhaps "brush off his advances". My ideal game - and this is perhaps a bit extreme just to make my point carry across - doesn't disable these "no" choices; instead it makes them ineffectual or unreliable. The male isn't passively waiting for the girl's decision, he makes inappropriate advances all by himself. (If she's a bit drunk, too horny, or the NPC simply is a big-dicked alpha male, have there be a 80% chance of the hypothetical "shake your head" choice lead to the "smile as he grabs your ass" outcome instead, etc... The player selected the first choice, but the game proceeded as if you chose the second)

Hope that explains the difference.
From what I recall people with that kink have been asking for non-con type content for a long time. SO is scared of UK (IIRC where he is) law or Patreon rules. The only area that kind of stuff slips through are the alley thugs, which I guess just gets overlooked and hope no one else notices. After that nothing else got so close to it.

Jul 28, 2017
I wonder how much total to date this game has taken in in money? Compare that to what has been crowdfunded and finished or privately developed and funded and finished by other developers. I'd bet it would be pretty shocking having seen some pretty low numbers for visual novel fetish stuff (that obviously has added cost of art comissioned, sound or music). It seems horribly inefficient process.

For instance "At Your Feet" is a fetish visual novel finished and for sale. Game got what, six or seven thousand bucks total to complete? Art, sound, story written, game produced. Done out to market. Even had an original song with lyrics made for it. I know SO was getting thousands of bucks a month at one point. So for the cost of one or two months of this game, you can crank out a full visual novel of original writing, art and music. And what do you get in this game? One modder's scene added? A text description of a new outfit? A single scene you will finish in literally five minutes or less? This has gone on for years. Really brings home that there's something wrong.

Found the old KS page.

Itch.io is full of lots of small or solo developer games made on far less than SO has taken in and with a lot of content. You've got to question if giving someone thousands of dollars a month blindly with no schedule or milestones or goals to meet is wise.
this has been going on since 2015 and splendidostrich it's not the only one -id say most of the devs who manage to get a nice cashflow going just leave the game in development hell -, the whole patreon thing is just a gigantic scam.

anedwcan

Sep 25, 2017
Please don't insinuate this is somehow the creator's fault. Developers are free to code whatever shit they like. I am simply explaining why Newlife appeared promising, yet ended up doing nothing, for me.

sta123

Nov 17, 2019
I know SO was getting thousands of bucks a month at one point. So for the cost of one or two months of this game, you can crank out a full visual novel of original writing, art and music. And what do you get in this game? One modder's scene added? A text description of a new outfit? A single scene you will finish in literally five minutes or less? This has gone on for years. Really brings home that there's something wrong.
There is content, it's just well hidden.

As an example, when I looked through the code one bit in particular caught my eye at the time, which is in the club where you try to meet someone's eyes. I can only remember ever seeing the game respond with words to the effect of either 'He smiles and walks over' or 'He doesn't notice' - but there was literally around 50 sections of unique text that the game would use at that point if the right conditions were met. It's just that none of them had ever been applicable to my playthroughs, or I'd never noticed their use.

Newlife is an unusual game. Unless you have a completionist play style you'll miss a lot of its complexity. I think even a completionist will find a lot of the ways it branches are so inconsequential that the game appears to be less than the sum of its parts. But technically it's not a game that's short on content.

fass

Sep 10, 2017
this has been going on since 2015 and splendidostrich it's not the only one -id say most of the devs who manage to get a nice cashflow going just leave the game in development hell -, the whole patreon thing is just a gigantic scam.
You've just got to think about the incentives in question and how the whole patreon thing directs people (even possibly those who started out with good intentions). People have said they will pay him as long as he's working on this game. So is the incentive to finish it or is the incentive to string it out as long as possible, drip feeding tiny pieces of content over literally years? I wouldn't be surprised if there's been times when content or updates were split and parts held back so there's still something for next month "just in case" and so on. The whole thing promotes the worst possible work ethic, motivations and planning.

Imagine if you paid a contractor that way in construction or other businesses. You say you'll do the job and I keep paying you on and on and there's no time limits or milestones or expected finish dates for anything at all...? People would call you insane for agreeing to that deal and would suggest firing any employee who behaved that way (boss pays me forever...I decide when the job is ever finished and decide how much work to do!). If it wasn't for the fact that when we're horny and the coomer brain thinking takes over then we all lose about 30 IQ points minimum it'd never have taken off in the first place. If only post-nut clarity was around before every financial choice. :p

Jul 28, 2017
You've just got to think about the incentives in question and how the whole patreon thing directs people (even possibly those who started out with good intentions). People have said they will pay him as long as he's working on this game. So is the incentive to finish it or is the incentive to string it out as long as possible, drip feeding tiny pieces of content over literally years? I wouldn't be surprised if there's been times when content or updates were split and parts held back so there's still something for next month "just in case" and so on. The whole thing promotes the worst possible work ethic, motivations and planning.

Imagine if you paid a contractor that way in construction or other businesses. You say you'll do the job and I keep paying you on and on and there's no time limits or milestones or expected finish dates for anything at all...? People would call you insane for agreeing to that deal and would suggest firing any employee who behaved that way (boss pays me forever...I decide when the job is ever finished and decide how much work to do!). If it wasn't for the fact that when we're horny and the coomer brain thinking takes over then we all lose about 30 IQ points minimum it'd never have taken off in the first place. If only post-nut clarity was around before every financial choice. :p
their intention might have been "good", but by now the results of their intention should've obvious. i just wish they made it so patreon projects have some kind of time limit but i guess they dont do it because as long as they get their cut then they dont give a fuck.

Reactions: fass

fass

Sep 10, 2017
their intention might have been "good", but by now the results of their intention should've obvious. i just wish they made it so patreon projects have some kind of time limit but i guess they dont do it because as long as they get their cut then they dont give a fuck.
As long as the money keeps flowing Patreon won't do anything. Same with the zombie patreon pages that haven't been updated in years and people's credit cards keep getting charged probably because they forgot all about it.

GregoryRump

Oct 23, 2020
Can you get into an 'official' lesbian relationship? My character has been going on a date with this girl for a few weeks now, but they're still not officially girlfriends.

3.40 star(s) 35 Votes