quiboune

Sep 2, 2018
Not like it matters much after a thousand though. My longest game reached week 350 and I was bored as hell at that point.

Deniz31

Jul 25, 2017
This game needs a lot more events, there are only a few right now so gets repetitive in a short time. But dev spends months to add new game mechanics that nobody cares about.

bestfriends

Nov 21, 2016
This game needs a lot more events, there are only a few right now so gets repetitive in a short time. But dev spends months to add new game mechanics that nobody cares about.
the most important thing imho is to flesh out it's core mechanics more. you can tell he's being lazy, not because he takes months to write hyper-specific scenes you need to look up to trigger, but because he doesn't bother to expand on the core of the game anymore. i'm willing to concede even these obscure events take a considerable amount of time to write, considering the amount of variables he needs to take into account, but it's been a few years since anything really substantial has been added to the core of the game

pyrolisk

Jan 16, 2021
So... does someone want to make a similar game that keeps it a lot simpler, can be added to by the community, and includes the type of content we all want? I'm not saying this sarcastically either.. like.. I'm genuinely asking if someone will do it. lol

Reactions: quiboune

KingRei

Apr 15, 2018
So... does someone want to make a similar game that keeps it a lot simpler, can be added to by the community, and includes the type of content we all want? I'm not saying this sarcastically either.. like.. I'm genuinely asking if someone will do it. lol
Check out Girl Life. It's the same gimmick but with more of everything.

quiboune

Sep 2, 2018
Check out Girl Life. It's the same gimmick but with more of everything.
Girl Life is not nearly as cohesive as Newlife. I don't think there is a sandbox game as well structured as this one, maybe Lab Rats 2, but someone would probably have to create it.

pyrolisk

Jan 16, 2021
Girl Life is not nearly as cohesive as Newlife. I don't think there is a sandbox game as well structured as this one, maybe Lab Rats 2, but someone would probably have to create it.
Also.. I've only ever played the "Female Start" for Newlife. Not really interested in the transformation thing. I think Girl Life doesn't give you that option, does it?

Reactions: drone4of2

RecalledDread

May 24, 2018
I'd like to, I'm just not good at writing that kind of content. The best I could do is a framework that others could add scenes to, but that would take a while in itself to get right.

Reactions: pyrolisk

pyrolisk

Jan 16, 2021
I'd like to, I'm just not good at writing that kind of content. The best I could do is a framework that others could add scenes to, but that would take a while in itself to get right.
It's a start. I'm sure you could find plenty of people willing to contribute. One of the main complaints I saw about Newlife was that the dev intentionally complicated the coding, to keep people from modifying his game, or adding to it without his consent.

Reactions: quiboune

Susan Xandera

Jul 13, 2017
It's a start. I'm sure you could find plenty of people willing to contribute. One of the main complaints I saw about Newlife was that the dev intentionally complicated the coding, to keep people from modifying his game, or adding to it without his consent.
The jackass complicated the code so much even they, themself, has trouble working with it.

• Haha
Reactions: pyrolisk

Amnelis

Nov 24, 2020
I agree with the recent comments, I find myself going back to this game since there's not a lot quite like it. Modern day setting, no combat, ability to play as a pure virgin who may find herself with the wrong guy without any OTT corruption content. Girl life is enjoyable as its own thing but it doesn't really scratch the same itch for me, as another user said Newlife's is quite relaxed & straightforward while Girl Life's is a bit too grindy for me.

kallabunga

Sep 4, 2018
I've been following this game for a couple years at this point and from what i remember this is the first time SO has skipped two months, not paused his patreon, and made a vague excuse the update would come later because of "anxiety". I remember when SO missed their exact deadline - they used to always update the last day of the month - by one day, and apologized profusely and either paused the patreon or uploaded the patreon version for free, i can't remember. Now they don't even give a shit and just upload any time vaguely within a month of the past update, until now. They are genuinely reaching Innoxia levels of incompetence and laziness now, only without all the side contributors to pad the patch notes. It's sad to see and I wouldn't be surprised if this game ends up completely abandoned in not too long.

Dec 26, 2018
Girl life is enjoyable as its own thing but it doesn't really scratch the same itch for me, as another user said Newlife's is quite relaxed & straightforward while Girl Life's is a bit too grindy for me.
I think the difference is that Newlife is less about straight up simulation and more about making a procedurally generated story (not sure if I'm using that term right) where the player's relationships with the NPCs are the main focus.
It's strange, Girl Life clearly has a lot more love and effort put into it resulting in way more content than Newlife. Yet despite this I find that the core Newlife gameplay loop is much more replayable, the story construction is much more coherent, and the fact that the NPCs can play different roles in the same events leads to interesting dynamics. Other games have the problem where no matter how the player character choose to dress or act the game world either doesn't really care or doesn't take it into account. I forgot who posted it but I vaguely remember a TellTale games analysis where it talked about players caring more about small decisions being recognized (even if the impact wasn't too big) by the game as opposed to having numerous branching path big decisions. It's why I like the original CoC(with mods), because the actions the player took were often highlighted by the NPCs, and the player's relationships with NPCs could play into the storylines for other NPCs. But that game has a much more focused story which makes it easier to do those kinds of things.
boobmanlord is right, the only drawback to Newlife is that there's a serious dearth of content being released by the dev. I do think it's only partly laziness though, I haven't attempted it myself but the idea of trying to develop a life sim that's focused on relationships with NPCs instead of a player focused sandbox must be very difficult.

Last edited:

l1lym

Aphrodite, creator of X-Change Life™
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2019
As a NSFW dev NewLife is quite a neat thing. It definitely has its flaws, but I really admire it from a game design perspective. I like the simplicity of the time slots (I went with a similar concept, except morning/noon/night slots as opposed to weekly activity choices). I also like how NPCs are generated and traits selected, I definitely stole a bit of that. It's sad that development seems to have fallen off... I wonder how much of that is due to the game engine and codebase, it seems like it could be heinous to work with.

quiboune

Sep 2, 2018
As a NSFW dev NewLife is quite a neat thing. It definitely has its flaws, but I really admire it from a game design perspective. I like the simplicity of the time slots (I went with a similar concept, except morning/noon/night slots as opposed to weekly activity choices). I also like how NPCs are generated and traits selected, I definitely stole a bit of that. It's sad that development seems to have fallen off... I wonder how much of that is due to the game engine and codebase, it seems like it could be heinous to work with.
Your game is headed in a great direction as well, hope to see it succeed and grow, even more than this one. I believe there are many things every game dev could learn from Newlife, but I can think of two that would improve yours greatly: a female start and NPC permanence(even the nice guys in your game just show up, try to get laid and vanish!). The second one is not a trivial thing but it would add a ton of possibilities.
Also maybe add some black NPCs?

Dec 26, 2018
NPC permanence(even the nice guys in your game just show up, try to get laid and vanish!)
This is probably the hardest part to implement properly and it's why there aren't too many lifesims that attempt this like newlife does. But I think it could be the most worthwhile component in a lifesim since it allows more complex events to occur.

3.40 star(s) 35 Votes