souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
How much content is there in the game overall?
After 3 years it should be plenty?
Honestly, other than some basic improvements like having relationships outside of boyfriend, and the getting married, most of the content that's been added over the years is in very specific events, that are pretty much impossible to get without knowing the exact requirements and save scumming.

Part of the issues is that most of the updates are like that, only for specific traits or combinations of traits, with not much in the way of major improvements to the game such as other apartments, jobs, and the lack of new sex scene options (outside of the specific events).

Voilsh

Apr 30, 2017
Honestly, other than some basic improvements like having relationships outside of boyfriend, and the getting married, most of the content that's been added over the years is in very specific events, that are pretty much impossible to get without knowing the exact requirements and save scumming.

Part of the issues is that most of the updates are like that, only for specific traits or combinations of traits, with not much in the way of major improvements to the game such as other apartments, jobs, and the lack of new sex scene options (outside of the specific events).
Thanks, so false choice and linearity due to lack of content.
After 3 years
And no artist to blame the slowness on
Smells bad indeed

dayryuu1995

Jun 3, 2017
Problem is that the patreon system is inherently flawed. Think about it there is no incentive for devs to make a game in a timely manner or to provide decent updates since once a game is finished your income ends unless you start a new one.
So unless you have a good work ethic and respect your supporters you can do just enough to maintain your supporter base and milk them as much as possible.
Devs in early acess and kickstarter get paid a one time fee by each supporter and are then forced to either make a good game and recoup losses with sales or head to a possible fianncial disaster. Not in Patreon though, there you get more money per person with none of the drawbacks.
You could say if a Patreon dev does milk it's base too far he gets a bad rep and his current and future games could likely fail sure... but then he can just change his name and start it all over again, once again going as slow as possible under the possible guise of being "new to programming". SO realized this a long time ago.

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
Well, there is a Patreon model that does work, but since it requires the creator to set their patreon to a per update system instead of a per month system, it doesn't really appeal to the bad ones. The best example of doing patreon right that i know of is . He's had a total of one payment period where he released an update, only got paid for that one release, and has outright stated how many updates (IE how much you'll pay) for the game.

Deleted member 237267

Oct 8, 2017
Looks like you have Windows 10 so you just need to unpack the jar file and run it in the same folder you store your custom npcs where the game detects them. The sh file is, I think, for Linux, so you don't need it.
yeah I extracted the character creator to the folder of my custom npcs and still didn't find an exe file to run it by. like which folder would it have been in?

ShadowPersona

May 29, 2017
yeah I extracted the character creator to the folder of my custom npcs and still didn't find an exe file to run it by. like which folder would it have been in?
I guess I should have worded it better. You need to take out the jar file from the zip file and just put that file in the folder. Also, there is no exe file, you run the jar file by double-clicking it like an exe file. You also need Java, which you probably already have. Sorry about that, I forgot to look at how what I said could be interpreted as.

Deleted member 237267

Oct 8, 2017
I guess I should have worded it better. You need to take out the jar file from the zip file and just put that file in the folder. Also, there is no exe file, you run the jar file by double-clicking it like an exe file. You also need Java, which you probably already have. Sorry about that, I forgot to look at how what I said could be interpreted as.
would you mind screenshotting this jar file that I'm looking for? cuz I've gone through the entire rar folder a bunch of times and all the files listed are CLASS files. I don't know what file I am meant to extract

DarkOne8818

Nov 16, 2017
Is there a new character creator (I can only find the outdated ones) or do you still have to manually make them from the templates provided?

ShadowPersona

May 29, 2017
would you mind screenshotting this jar file that I'm looking for? cuz I've gone through the entire rar folder a bunch of times and all the files listed are CLASS files. I don't know what file I am meant to extract
Sure. First screenshot is after I unzip the folder I provided initially and how it should look. Second screenshot is how the folder that stores the custom npcs for the game looks like with the jar file in it. In both, I circled the jar file with red. By the way, I took a look at the screenshots you provided. It looks like you are using WinRar and have the jar file extension associated with it. You might need to stop WinRar from opening it, since the type for it in your screenshot is WinRar archive. It shouldn't have that type.
Edit: Also, have the file extension visible instead of hidden in Windows. It helps in finding the right files. The option to do that should be in: Any folder->view and check "File name extensions" box. That makes the file extensions show up for me and I have Windows 10 like you. As for WinRar, you should check to make WinRar stop opening the file by default on the Internet since I don't use it.
Screenshot (2).jpg Screenshot (3).jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 237267

Oct 8, 2017
Sure. First screenshot is after I unzip the folder I provided initially and how it should look. Second screenshot is how the folder that stores the custom npcs for the game looks like with the jar file in it. In both, I circled the jar file with red. By the way, I took a look at the screenshots you provided. It looks like you are using WinRar and have the jar file extension associated with it. You might need to stop WinRar from opening it, since the type for it in your screenshot is WinRar archive. It shouldn't have that type.
View attachment 85105 View attachment 85106
so after extracting everything from the npc creater jar file that I originally downloaded, this is all that it came with. I did not see a visible unpacked .jar file after extracting the contents of it

Deleted member 237267

Oct 8, 2017
Edit: Also, have the file extension visible instead of hidden in Windows. It helps in finding the right files. The option to do that should be in: Any folder->view and check "File name extensions" box. That makes the file extensions show up for me and I have Windows 10 like you. As for WinRar, you should check to make WinRar stop opening the file by default on the Internet since I don't use it.
View attachment 85105 View attachment 85106
oh also, would I have to uninstall winrar to stop winrar from opening the program?

ShadowPersona

May 29, 2017
so after extracting everything from the npc creater jar file that I originally downloaded, this is all that it came with. I did not see a visible unpacked .jar file after extracting the contents of it
Okay, this is how the folder I gave looks inside without being unziped.
Screenshot (4).jpg
The jar file is circled in red. You just need to take it out and run it. For your next post, I don't think you have to uninstall it. You just have to stop from opening the file by default. There should be some options menu for it that has the file extensions it opens by default. You should check the internet for better instructions since I don't use it so I don't know how to precisely stop. Search, maybe, "stop winrar from opening files by default". That might do it.

Deleted member 237267

Oct 8, 2017
View attachment 85122
The jar file is circled in red. You just need to take it out and run it. For your next post, I don't think you have to uninstall it. You just have to stop from opening the file by default. There should be some options menu for it that has the file extensions it opens by default. You should check the internet for better instructions since I don't use it so I don't know how to precisely stop. Search, maybe, "stop winrar from opening files by default". That might do it.
yeah was already looking it up before you replied and it's winrar acting up, not me. still looking ahead

Deleted member 237267

Oct 8, 2017
View attachment 85122
yeah it was winrar. fixed the issue. thanks for the tip of preventing winrar opening the jar file

kymico

Nov 29, 2016
Officially on Hiatus for the next month :

Hi all,

I've come down with an injury that is stopping me from working on Newlife for the time being. This unfortunately means that there not be a new release coming out in April.

I've put the patreon page on 'pause', which means patrons won't be charged at the start of May.

I'll re-assess the situation in early May and post again to let you know if I can resume work or if I'll need to extend the hiatus.

It's painful and difficult for me to use a keyboard, so I will not be able to reply to any comments or post on forums until I've recovered.

Thanks for reading, and I hope your month has got off to a better start than mine.

3.40 star(s) 35 Votes