Reila

Nov 13, 2017
Yes, exactly. I'm upset because 2 and a half years ago when the author was making $200 a month he added more in each update (which wasn't always even a full month between, often just 3-4 weeks) than he has in the last 6 now that he's pulling more with each paycheck than many professional programmers. The entire pregnancy system took like 2 months; the marriage system has taken over a year. It's absolutely appalling that his effort has decreased in almost perfect inverse proportion to his funding.

It deserves no such thing.

What it does deserve is to lose its fans and funds to the projects that it has already inspired: projects whose authors actually see their games as art, not just a ticket to early retirement. Whose authors who work out of passion, out of a desire to create the best game they can, the game they would want to play... not just because they need to push something out to keep their backers from bailing.

Let those games be the example for future creators.
The pregnancy system took longer than two months, and the marriage system has taken much less than one year. Progress has been a lot slower, yes. But people here are whipping each other up in a frenzy with claims that are purely speculations, assumption or just false.

The code is bigger and messier now than it was back then, and while I believe part of the reason for the slowdown is that the author is sick to death of working with the messy code (for what has it been now, 3 years?) the size and complexity of the game is also a reason for the slowdown. If development was still as smooth and painless as it was back before pregnancy was introduced, we'd see way more third party content pushed out on Discord than we are.

If you don't want to support or play the game anymore, nothing is stopping you from withdrawing your pledge, unsubscribing and unfollowing, hell, I don't even support it financially myself anymore. I just follow its development however slow it may be.

I do so, because even in its current state I still think it's a good game. And chances are: If you played NL for the first time and knew nothing about the dev, knew nothing about how much funding it was getting or how slow development was, you would think so too. Even compared to games like TiTS or Corruption of Champions which suffers /suffered from an even slower development cycle, and receives way more funding.

A lot of this resentment toward "overpaid" creators is coming from a place of jealousy and spite from people unable to create or market anything themselves, so they smear the ones who do - which intimidates aspiring creators and hurts the industry as a whole. Some people would rather see a creator fail and derive a whole community of a product they enjoy than see the creator make more money than themselves. Sad.

sdibolcrif

Jun 24, 2017
the marriage system has taken much less than one year
The ability to get engaged was added on Valentine's Day 2017. Unless the calendar has been changed and no one told me about it, that is indeed more than a year.

The code is bigger and messier now than it was back then, and while I believe part of the reason for the slowdown is that the author is sick to death of working with the messy code (for what has it been now, 3 years?)
How the hell is that an excuse? If you told your boss you were tired of doing your job so you figure you'll just start only coming in a couple days a month (oh and you deserve a raise while you're at it) you'd be fired on the spot.

If you don't want to support or play the game anymore, nothing is stopping you from withdrawing your pledge, unsubscribing and unfollowing, hell, I don't even support it financially myself anymore. I just follow its development however slow it may be.

I do so, because even in its current state I still think it's still a good game.
I'm in the exact same boat, I haven't backed him for at least a year. I just keep my eye on it because you're right, it is a good game - but that doesn't absolve SO's utterly shitty business practices, and it absolutely infuriates me to see someone defending those practices.

Even compared to games like TiTS or Corruption of Champions which suffers /suffered from an even slower development cycle, and receives way more funding.
Really? That's the comparison you're going to go with? Can't think of any bar higher than a team widely regarded as some of the biggest conmen in the industry (outside of the SimBro team, I guess)?

A lot of this resentment toward "overpaid" creators is coming from a place of jealousy and spite from people unable to create or market anything themselves, so they smear the ones who do
Wow. "Hurr you just jealous"? Truly, what a fantastic argument.

By that logic I should hate 90% of the adult game creators out there. Yet, shockingly, that's not the case - in fact many of the creators I'm pledged to are making almost as much - and in some cases more than - SO (hell, I think Lewdlab might be past the 5-figure mark).

The difference? They care. Both about their games and their fans (refer back to the last paragraph of my last post - or more likely read it for the first time, since you seem to have entirely skipped it).

which intimidates aspiring creators and hurts the industry as a whole.
I would argue that what truly hurts the industry are creators like SO, Fenoxo & co., etc giving it a bad name.

Some people would rather see a creator fail and derive a whole community of a product they enjoy than see the creator make more money than themselves. Sad.
No, I would rather see one creator fail so many can thrive in his place. Again, try actually reading the second half of my last post.

kymico

Nov 29, 2016
What is next on the road map?

Changelog seems to have a bunch of small changes, a small scene and a new trait. Nothing I'd bother playing for the next month. No added clothes, no additions to sex, career, repetitive scene...

obzerver

Jun 10, 2017
Anyone know of any games similiar to this one except you're a dude or you're able to get with women (if it's fem protag)

Deleted member 237267

Oct 8, 2017
if you "save" it rather then "save as" notepad might put a .txt ending on it

heres a NPC creator, its not perfect but it works for most NPCs

make sure to click the test NPC button after you start newlife, the creator doesen't always block putting in conflicting traits

if you have the 17b patron version (page 26, 11 posts down, its a mega link) there is a folder with guides on how to make NPCs
quick question. my custom npc's don't load with all the traits that I assigned to them. Does that happen to you too?

ShadowPersona

May 29, 2017
quick question. my custom npc's don't load with all the traits that I assigned to them. Does that happen to you too?
I looked at the releaseList.json file in this zip file. Looks like an old version of one of the character creators that is no longer updated. You can get the newest character creators from his discord but this one is the newest version.

pingp

Apr 14, 2017
Its a very excited game. every word in text is make me exciting.

but its a SO simple game... no SM, no DOM, no tattoo, no piercing, no strip, and no attack.

even has a jerk BF, the most risk is be pregnant then BF is gone, PC become a single mother...

less properties, less furniture. less workplace. at last, PC have lots of money but no way to spend...

maybe the gamemaker just want PC to play a good girl/lady/mother.

Deleted member 237267

Oct 8, 2017
I looked at the releaseList.json file in this zip file. Looks like an old version of one of the character creators that is no longer updated. You can get the newest character creators from his discord but this one is the newest version.
sorry for the added question, but would you know how to open the sh file extension?

ShadowPersona

May 29, 2017
sorry for the added question, but would you know how to open the sh file extension?
Looks like you have Windows 10 so you just need to unpack the jar file and run it in the same folder you store your custom npcs where the game detects them. The sh file is, I think, for Linux, so you don't need it.

3.40 star(s) 35 Votes