Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
To bad the game fails (BAD) because of the platform (RAGS) it uses, because if it was made with a better game engine, it could be a great game indeed. Rags, which imo is one of the worst game-engines out there, horrible dosen't even begin to describe just how bad it it. No Haven for example, uses more memory on my fairly new gaming rig than a new AAA+ game with all graphic options set to ultra settings does. After just an hour of playing this game, it's stuttering so bad that it's completely unplayable due to how much memory it wastes.
My 8 year old rig runs the just fine on Windows 10 with 6 GB Ram and 3.4 Ghz with no stuttering. My Rig can barely play any AAA game on low to medium settings, yet I have no issues playing RAGS games.

Maybe your PC is not optimized or you have poor hardware.

There are even instructions on what to do once the game starts slowing down (not in term of game pace, but mechanically on the engine). In my honest opinion RAGS is one of the better engines, much better than say RPGM.

Why don't you design a similar game in Ren'Py, Twine, Unity or any of the free engines and see how that goes. Both in terms of optimization and design.

Reactions: brynhildr

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
RAGS has been known to have issues with memory, so what tysssart said had a valid point.

No need to use the common response of "Why don't you create your own game"
I never said RAGS did not have memory issues, there are some, but not to the severity that tysssart claims there to be.

The memory issues are easily mitigated by saving --> shutting down RAGS --> start RAGS --> load game

ANY engine running for extended periods of time will run into memory issues.
Most of RAGS memory issues stems from 'timers'. You'll see RAGS games that only uses a few timers or no timers at all have little to no slow-downs.

tysssart

Aug 17, 2017
My 8 year old rig runs the just fine on Windows 10 with 6 GB Ram and 3.4 Ghz with no stuttering. My Rig can barely play any AAA game on low to medium settings, yet I have no issues playing RAGS games.

Maybe your PC is not optimized or you have poor hardware.

There are even instructions on what to do once the game starts slowing down (not in term of game pace, but mechanically on the engine). In my honest opinion RAGS is one of the better engines, much better than say RPGM.

Why don't you design a similar game in Ren'Py, Twine, Unity or any of the free engines and see how that goes. Both in terms of optimization and design.
Nope, no and njet, Rags just uses way way way to much memory, it has nothing to do with any form of poor optimization whatsoever on my part and everything to do with how the Rags platform/game engine is like a black hole when it comes to swallowing memory. Just start up a rags game and let it run/play a game for an hour and then see for yourself how much memory it actually uses. Just stop defending this shitty platform already, this game would have been great if it was on Ren'py for example, and now it's not, which is a damned shame imo.

And why should I create a game? That kind of argument and logic is just silly, much like asking someone why they don't preform surgery on themselves if they dislike hospitals or doctors in general. I'm not a game designer, I don't like programming nor do I believe myself to be a competent smut writer. So just because I dislike the Rags engine, I should create a game before I can criticize a game engine? That logic belongs in the sandbox together with "my mom/dad is better than yours because I say so", arguments and logic that children use.

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
Nope, no and njet, Rags just uses way way way to much memory, it has nothing to do with any form of poor optimization whatsoever on my part and everything to do with how the Rags platform/game engine is like a black hole when it comes to swallowing memory. Just start up a rags game and let it run/play a game for an hour and then see for yourself how much memory it actually uses. Just stop defending this shitty platform already, this game would have been great if it was on Ren'py for example, and now it's not, which is a damned shame imo.

And why should I create a game? That kind of argument and logic is just silly, much like asking someone why they don't preform surgery on themselves if they dislike hospitals or doctors in general. I'm not a game designer, I don't like programming nor do I believe myself to be a competent smut writer. So just because I dislike the Rags engine, I should create a game before I can criticize a game engine? That logic belongs in the sandbox together with "my mom/dad is better than yours because I say so", arguments and logic that children use.
As I explained in my post above your reply, most RAGS memory issues stems from 'timers'. No Haven makes heavy use of times, so it is more prone to memory issues, true. But RAGS games that does not make use of timers generally does not consume a lot of memory. I've been playing, modding and making RAGS for the last 5 years, so I'd like to think myself as someone for have knowledge of the engine.

Some Ren'py games will also use up a ton of RAM, depending on how the game is designed. Same for unity. Honestly RAGS is not as bad as some people claim it to be. RAGS suffers from the same issues as Twine. Twine suffers from the same issues as Ren'py.

It all comes down to how you use the engine and whether that is the ended use of the engine. Games like No Haven push the boundaries of RAGS and will thusly experience issues of pushing the engine to the limits.

supermanz95

Aug 7, 2016
Dude this game would be pretty good if not for RAG's, its pretty convoluted in itself, the engine really does little to help it. Hoping for it to be remade on something else is probably hoping to much

Demiare

Sep 16, 2016
The memory issues are easily mitigated by saving --> shutting down RAGS --> start RAGS --> load game
You're completely forget to mention that saving or loading in RAGS take something around minute. Of your RL time. Combined with idiotic randomness in this game* - it's insanely bad platform choice.

*You can say anything in Bedlam's defence, but having rare and expensive magic traits that statistically damage yourself more then change target - is idiotic game design.

twaddledee

Oct 10, 2017
If you came across the cheat version, could you please upload it here? Because the only time I tried this game, was enough for me: too difficult, even more than jack-o-nine honestly - which somehow I can manage to "move around" both "easy and normal" mode, in a certain sense. Here, instead, always failed :FeelsBadMan:
I've played this game a ton, and I find it easier than J9T. I could bang out a quick get-started guide if you'd like.

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
You're completely forget to mention that saving or loading in RAGS take something around minute. Of your RL time. Combined with idiotic randomness in this game* - it's insanely bad platform choice.

*You can say anything in Bedlam's defence, but having rare and expensive magic traits that statistically damage yourself more then change target - is idiotic game design.
I do agree that No Haven is pushing RAGS to its limits, but I think when Bedlam started No Haven, it was actually a good choice for a platform. The issue is that is has grown exponentially and each update to the game will only push the limits of the engine even further.

In regards to loading times, this again comes down to individual games. I have played and made several RAGS games where loading is instant. Big games = long saving / loading times and engine slow-downs. Small Games = instant saving / loading times and no engine slow-downs.

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
While y'all are inexplicably talking about this weird game, you may want to try out my JavaScript version

I don't think it can play through the game successfully, but I haven't really tried it. It at least starts, and runs significantly faster than the windows RAGS version.

If people can provide bug reports for things that don't work, I will fix them and hopefully someday nobody will ever have to use the Windows RAGS client anymore.

If you are interested in playing other RAGS games in your browser, head over to .

Reactions: girovaldo123

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
I've played this game a ton, and I find it easier than J9T. I could bang out a quick get-started guide if you'd like.
I appreciate your help, but since there's the cheat version, I believe that things now will be different - at least I think so XD
However, if you want, you can always make a guide for everyone here! For those that are newbies to this game and don't know what to do c:

ponyguy

Engaged Member
Respected User
Feb 12, 2017
I've been holding off on asking this question, hoping I'd get an answer in one of the posts. But I guess that's not happening. So, does this game have any art?
The tags don't say text-based, but there's also no screenshots. So I don't know what to expect.

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
I've been holding off on asking this question, hoping I'd get an answer in one of the posts. But I guess that's not happening. So, does this game have any art?
The tags don't say text-based, but there's also no screenshots. So I don't know what to expect.
Last time I checked in the past... something was there. This is the only screen that I've found on his website

Sorry, I can't help you more than this :FeelsBadMan:

Reactions: ponyguy

ponyguy

Engaged Member
Respected User
Feb 12, 2017
Last time I checked in the past... something was there. This is the only screen that I've found on his website

Sorry, I can't help you more than this :FeelsBadMan:
Thanks anyway, nam. I appreciate it. Guess I'll wait a bit and see if anyone has any more info. Never played a RAGS game before and from the sounds of it's not the greatest game engine. So I don't wanna go through the hassle of downloading everything if there's nothing here for me.

V01

Jul 19, 2017
This game was dead on arrival. Absolutely no info about it can be gained from the Patreon page since the dev didn't give a proper description, and everything else is locked behind a pay wall. The engine it uses I've never heard of before, and can't even be downloaded since its website is broken.

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
Thanks anyway, nam. I appreciate it. Guess I'll wait a bit and see if anyone has any more info. Never played a RAGS game before and from the sounds of it's not the greatest game engine. So I don't wanna go through the hassle of downloading everything if there's nothing here for me.
The game has art. Plenty of it. Around 400-450 or so Images I'd say, I counted the first 100 images and that was about 25% of the total, more of less. Do mind you that some of those images are portraits or "zooms" of images, but the majority of them are "unique".

As for the engine, it's fine. Once the game starts to lag a lot, simply save your game. Then Exit the Rags player and make sure Rags player is not running (from Task manager) and if it is then close it. Then start the game again and load your save.

On another note, I am working on an updated cheat version. My updated cheat version currently have these features:
NO points used and no traits counted towards max amount at the full-customable character creator.
Ability to set amount of gold at will
Ability to set amount of supplies at will
Ability to generate random Slave at will (can go beyond the regular Slave limit)
Ability to generate random Slaver at will (can go beyond the regular Slave limit)
Ability to pick 1 of 5 randomly generated Slavers (can go beyond the regular Slave limit)

Both the random generation features can be "guided" towards certain results by selecting "Orders" and then select preferred slave gender, preferred slave race, preferred slaver gender, preferred slaver race. Selecting hard genders / races will generate the desired race / gender within a couple of tries.

I am currently working on adding the ability to select 1 of 5 randomly generated slaves, ability to fully restore slaves (condition / will), ability to level up, ability to get items and remove the "Talk to" daily limit.

ponyguy

Engaged Member
Respected User
Feb 12, 2017
The game has art. Plenty of it. Around 400-450 or so Images I'd say, I counted the first 100 images and that was about 25% of the total, more of less. Do mind you that some of those images are portraits or "zooms" of images, but the majority of them are "unique".
Well that's good to hear. 400, eh? Is that the amount of all the art in the game or just the lewd bits? Because the lewd bits is what I care the most about.

Maybe I will give this a shot. Not too thrilled about having to install another program just to play this. Especially since this apparently doesn't work with certain versions. But if it has art then I might just have to go through that hassle. After all, how could I pass up on a game with genres like that?

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
Well that's good to hear. 400, eh? Is that the amount of all the art in the game or just the lewd bits? Because the lewd bits is what I care the most about.

Maybe I will give this a shot. Not too thrilled about having to install another program just to play this. Especially since this apparently doesn't work with certain versions. But if it has art then I might just have to go through that hassle. After all, how could I pass up on a game with genres like that?
Yeah 400-450 total images in the game. Most of them are lewd to some degree.
But I would say at the very least half of them is truly lewd, the rest range from pretty sexy to "I'd do that if there was nothing else". It should be said a lot of the art and content is heavily World of Warcraft / World of Whorecraft (Sex and Sorcery too) inspired.

Reactions: ponyguy
3.90 star(s) 20 Votes