nope

E_O_N

Creator of Winter Warmth & Karma
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2021
I literally downloaded it earlier to give him an honest opinion...all this time wasted. :rolleyes:
He got straight, honest feedback and additionally got some exposure. Which is always nice.
I assume he thought that people would be more supportive in the way if “no you are wrong, your game is great”.

Times have changed, there is a reason almost all games get abandoned. This is a lot harder than it initially looks. And someone did the stats recently in the dev forum. About 0.5% of those that start are financially successful. It can be disheartening.
Assume he has a bad day and will be back up tomorrow.

Then your feedback will matter.

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
Any publicity is good publicity... or so I'm told.
That can be the subject of debate. One thing that is certain is that being unknown is most of the times worse than being known, even for a bad reason.

Still, there are things that can affect public image and kill a project, so I don't think it's an absolute.

Geralt_R

Jun 4, 2022
Well, I pulled the trigger and played the game...

And what can I say, I was actually pleasantly surprised.
I am mostly a fan of vanilla/wholesome romance and games that offer meaningful solo paths. And Alive has that. It's not a superficial "fuckfest", you have four or maybe five potential love interests, you need to choose one. Each of the LIs is unique enough and I liked the three(four) that I encountered (Mary, Nikki, Erin and Stacey) quite a bit.

Renders are decent and things look a lot better than the banner image hints at.

The animations in this game are actually pretty good as well. Three women have scenes, no endless teasing here. But with the exception of Tonya (I didn't play her route) nothing is super fast either, it feels ok. You go on two or three dates and after that things escalate.

The game has various paths and iterations, you can even try to cheat and have two romances at once (good luck with that though).

I really feel the dev should rework the banner image but most importantly, rewrite the description...

noping123, if you still read that... maybe try something like this for the description

You are Chris (name can be changed) a programmer who recently lost his job. For now you have all the money you need, but you still recover from a bad breakup with your girlfriend three years ago. It's been entirely too long... and you drift aimlessly through life.
Things change the day you find out the cute barista Mary has a crush on you, do you make a move? But then things get complicated because you also meet lovely photographer Nikki who immediately catches your eye. To make matters even more confusing you also come across Nikki's old childhood friend Erin, who has a very troubled history with an ex-boyfriend, something that might threaten not just her, but everyone you care about. And why did your best friend's girlfriend Stacey have to tell you she's crazy about sex all day long and her boyfriend never has time anymore?
Will you be able to find new love? To not just be alive anymore, but to actually live? It all depends on your choices!

Last edited:

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
He got straight, honest feedback and additionally got some exposure. Which is always nice.
I assume he thought that people would be more supportive in the way if “no you are wrong, your game is great”.

Times have changed, there is a reason almost all games get abandoned. This is a lot harder than it initially looks. And someone did the stats recently in the dev forum. About 0.5% of those that start are financially successful. It can be disheartening.
Assume he has a bad day and will be back up tomorrow.

Then your feedback will matter.
Yeah he probably hoped for that, but if he asks he should expect honest answers. If he wants a echo chamber he can ask his fans and not neutral people.

Sure it can be disheartening IF you expect to make money with your game and it doesn't work out, but the big problem is that a lot of devs don't make games because they want to make one out of passion, they make it for money and thats honestly not the smartest choice since the success of an adult game is never guaranteed. You need the right stuff at the right moment...or be one of the first devs.

Mar 4, 2022
"I am a shit artist, and in need of someone talented to work with. Alone, I can produce medicore games. Together, we can produce incredible ones!"
This was weird...

E_O_N

Creator of Winter Warmth & Karma
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2021
Yeah he probably hoped for that, but if he asks he should expect honest answers. If he wants a echo chamber he can ask his fans and not neutral people.

Sure it can be disheartening IF you expect to make money with your game and it doesn't work out, but the big problem is that a lot of devs don't make games because they want to make one out of passion, they make it for money and thats honestly not the smartest choice since the success of an adult game is never guaranteed. You need the right stuff at the right moment...or be one of the first devs.
Since when is it bad that dev's hope to make money? It's the only reason this whole scene exists.
There is too much work involved, too much commitment, a promise to each patron, to do this as a hobby.
That is why most devs have a subscription page.

I hear "milkers" etc about Devs who make less than a hundred bucks a month and work full time on their game. It used to be different.
I feel like this community used to support the little guy. Like in this thread with feedback. It's a bit of a shame how it turned out. But I hope you can understand why he reacted this way. It wasn't anything personal.

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Eh fuck it, I'll respond once.

Yea I nuked everything. The entire post stayed way too far from my original point, and became feedback on my game, which was *NOT* what I was looking for.

I was looking for a much more broad, macro view of things, instead I got mostly criticism and feedback on my game.

Yea, too much negatively is disheartening which probably contributed to why I nuked it, but also I just wanted to put a kebash on the notification spam I was getting that wasn't related to what I actually wanted to hear. (which was, what makes you avoid a game, besides the tags).

I did actually pay attention to the feedback.... some of it I'm ignoring. (Like the comments on art. I am not a good artist, and honestly I've damn near peaked my potential. I know people like to say stuff like "oh you just need to practice and learn".... here's an example. Imagine you're an athlete. You practice and train every day, you put 100% into everything, but no matter what you do, you never make it past the AAA leagues - that's your personal peak, and you'll simply never grow beyond it. That's me with art. I lack the natural ability or talent to ever be capable of making it past a certain level, and I know this, so I mostly dismiss criticism on my art because I *know* it's not the best, and I also know how much time and effort I've already spent trying to learn and improve, and I know it'll never get significantly better).

Some of it I pay attention to (I've made at least 2 changes already based on feedback... small ones but maybe they'll help. I also spent most of yesterday, and a good portion of today working on new ideas based on it). Even if I didn't respond to everthing everyone said, doesn't mean I ignored it.

Overall I got a lot of useful stuff from this thread, but it strayed so far from the original point, that I decided to just nuke it all.

Thank you to the people who tried to answer the original question, thanks to the people who offered valid criticism, and fuck you to that one guy. You know who you are. No, not you. Yes, you.

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
Since when is it bad that dev's hope to make money? It's the only reason this whole scene exists.
There is too much work involved, too much commitment, a promise to each patron, to do this as a hobby.
That is why most devs have a subscription page.

I hear "milkers" etc about Devs who make less than a hundred bucks a month and work full time on their game. It used to be different.
I feel like this community used to support the little guy. Like in this thread with feedback. It's a bit of a shame how it turned out. But I hope you can understand why he reacted this way. It wasn't anything personal.
It is not bad to hope for it, but you can't expect it so you either give up on it or you go through with it because you want to tell your story and you might even get some more or less decent money in the long run.

Don't even get me started with these tools who call literally every dev a milker as soon as they don't get updates in an instant.
Sure i can understand him but it won't help him and it won't bring him more players, but yeah it is what it is.

Eh fuck it, I'll respond once.

Yea I nuked everything. The entire post stayed way too far from my original point, and became feedback on my game, which was *NOT* what I was looking for.

I was looking for a much more broad, macro view of things, instead I got mostly criticism and feedback on my game.

Yea, too much negatively is disheartening which probably contributed to why I nuked it, but also I just wanted to put a kebash on the notification spam I was getting that wasn't related to what I actually wanted to hear. (which was, what makes you avoid a game, besides the tags).

I did actually pay attention to the feedback.... some of it I'm ignoring. (Like the comments on art. I am not a good artist, and honestly I've damn near peaked my potential. I know people like to say stuff like "oh you just need to practice and learn".... here's an example. Imagine you're an athlete. You practice and train every day, you put 100% into everything, but no matter what you do, you never make it past the AAA leagues - that's your personal peak, and you'll simply never grow beyond it. That's me with art. I lack the natural ability or talent to ever be capable of making it past a certain level, and I know this, so I mostly dismiss criticism on my art because I *know* it's not the best, and I also know how much time and effort I've already spent trying to learn and improve, and I know it'll never get significantly better).

Some of it I pay attention to (I've made at least 2 changes already based on feedback... small ones but maybe they'll help. I also spent most of yesterday, and a good portion of today working on new ideas based on it). Even if I didn't respond to everthing everyone said, doesn't mean I ignored it.

Overall I got a lot of useful stuff from this thread, but it strayed so far from the original point, that I decided to just nuke it all.

Thank you to the people who tried to answer the original question, thanks to the people who offered valid criticism, and fuck you to that one guy. You know who you are. No, not you. Yes, you.
To be honest most people here gave you fair answers from what i've seen. I get that it might be a bit disheartening and maybe not what you orgininally wanted but most people here actually tried to help you.

Well you dismiss comments about the art with the argument that you are not a good artist. Guess what most people aren't and yet many can do decent renders because they informed themselfs, watched tutorials and asked people who are better with art then they are, no one expects a indie dev to get into the "AAA leagues", but you can always improve if you want to.

But in the end its your choice what you do.

Reactions: E_O_N

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Well you dismiss comments about the art with the argument that you are not a good artist. Guess what most people aren't and yet many can do decent renders because they informed themselfs, watched tutorials and asked people who are better with art then they are, no one expects a indie dev to get into the "AAA leagues", but you can always improve if you want to.

Your assumption that I *DIDNT* do those things is flawed and false. I did. I spent more hours than I can count doing that stuff. I promise you, I will never get better. I know you're just trying to be helpful, but trust me when I say, I will never get much better no matter HOW MUCH I try - and I HAVE tried. I'm not going to argue it, I know my own personal capabilities and limitations, so just trust me when I say, I'm damn near maxed out in that capacity.

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
Your assumption that I *DIDNT* do those things is flawed and false. I did. I spent more hours than I can count doing that stuff. I promise you, I will never get better. I know you're just trying to be helpful, but trust me when I say, I will never get much better no matter HOW MUCH I try - and I HAVE tried. I'm not going to argue it, I know my own personal capabilities and limitations, so just trust me when I say, I'm damn near maxed out in that capacity.
I never wrote with any word that you didn't try, did i? Do you think i wrote for fun that you can improve if you really want to? Nah i've been there myself and i've spend a shit ton of ours in DAZ and tried to improve and asked the people i know when i didn't find a solution. Interestingly enough is that it is often just little things that screw you over.

I'm also not going to argue, if you think you can't then so be it. Good luck with your game in the future, hopefully you'll get more players.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
As a tip for the future, when you expect a broader discussion on a topic don't use specific thread titles like "Why aren't you playing my game?", its easy to see why people miss the point if you don't paint it properly...

Reactions: Ahsl and Ambir

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] but the big problem is that a lot of devs don't make games because they want to make one out of passion, they make it for money [...]
I'm tempted to say that he was part of the ones who do (yeah, expect that it's not a "did") it out of passion. If it was just for the money, he would have just rage quited like so many before him ; I'll not be rich, better stop spending my money right now. But he goes further and looks like someone who've been personally hit. It's something that happen when you're driven by passion, then someone come and tell you that linking what you do is good, but you're really bad at doing it.

It's something we tend to forget, to be a dev you need to have strong nerves. You'll raise a baby and pass half your time hearing random people saying that he's an ugly monster that you should have aborted. Even if they are a minority, I'm pretty sure that there's days when even a Buddhist monk wouldn't be able to take it peacefully.

GreenGobbo

Oct 18, 2018
You know what, I really like this thread.
Sure, a couple of the comments might have come off a bit more abrasive than needed, but so what.
By and large this has been an excellent example of someone asking for, recieving, and responding to criticism without anyone getting all bent out of shape and/or trying to start an arguement. (y)
Man wtf happened here?!?!?

I *just* made this post at lunch tine and it's already aged poorly. :ROFLMAO: